Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 Ambitions... mac pre-order?

I was really excited today when I logged into Thesims3.com and say that the pre-order message was there! I of course, wanted to pre-order it... guess I didn't learn my lesson... anyway... I clicked the pre-order button and was taken to the EA store, and where I saw that the only option for pre-order was for PCs, not macs. I did a search, and alas, no mac pre-order option.

So I went to direct2drive.com and gametreeonline.com to see if I could pre-order it there... alas, they don't even list the game as being released, let alone mac friendly.

Now, according to the pre-order macs are going to be able to play it... but, when do we get to pre-order it!?

Comments

• Options
    AlexRoz9AlexRoz9 Posts: 309 New Member
    edited April 2010
    LDoCampo, I've already pre-ordered it on DVD-ROM from Amazon.com; the DVD-ROM version is another WIN/MAC release, so it'll be Mac-friendly.

Also, consider the following: The digital download of TS3 is riddled with SecuROM, which is essentially legalized malware. The DVD version of the game is SecuROM-free, and only requires a disc check. Again, I get that EA wants to protect their intellectual property, but SecuROM is the wrong way to do so; the DVD-ROM's disc check is proof that DRM can work without crippling ones system.

Second, after the debacle with the digital download version of World Adventures, do you really want to take your chances with the digital download version of Ambitions? Remember, both the DVD and digital downloads of World Adventures had issues, but the DVD version was fixed first, and had far fewer issues. The digital download was effectively a coaster that you couldn't even use to rest your drink on or toss as a frisbee. ;) Some people couldn't even get their money back when the game didn't work after it was patched, and EA ultimately wound up crediting them with 40,000 SimPoints to make up the $40 that they lost. Personally, I would never purchase a game as a digital download, but I realize that other people may have different needs than me. I'm mentioning the World Adventures debacle though because I want you to make sure that you're willing to potentially sit through the sequel to it with Ambitions.

Awhile back I thought EA said that they were only offering the digital download version to Windows users, at least through the EA store, so that could be one potential reason why you can't find a pre-order for the Mac yet. I'm not sure about D2D or Gametree, but my advice would be to contact either site and just ask when they plan to list the pre-order; the worst that they can do is simply tell you that they don't have any plans to sell the title as a digital download.

In the event that EA won't be releasing Ambitions as a digital download for the Mac at all, it's likely as a result of just how disastrous the digital download of World Adventures was. I'm not sure if HELS was available on the Mac as a digital download, but if it was, I know that the pre-order for the PC was listed first, and the same could hold true for Ambitions.

I'm sorry that I can't answer your question any better than I have. Furthermore, I'd avoid the EA store for pre-orders, there's a whole thread in the "Ambitions" forum about how people were placing pre-orders and EA was canceling them. Then when these people contacted EA, EA told them that their orders had gone through twice or something, and were still listed in EA's system despite supposedly showing up as "canceled" in peoples' order history. Regardless, the issue sounds fishy and until EA addresses it, I'd avoid the EA store. Again, I'm sorry that I can't be of more help. :)