Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Question about modeling comps

I was wondering if it was easy to start a modeling comp. I want to do one based on my fave ANTM shoots. What do yall think.

Comments

• Options
    CeleSeraphymCeleSeraphym Posts: 2,316 Member
    edited April 2010
    Honestly, I don't think that hosting a modeling competition is very easy if you do it the RIGHT way. Anyone can just START one, think of a couple of assignments, hunt for judges, score pics, yada yada. But the best hosts come up with cool original ideas and stick with the competition for the LONG HAUL (I've been in several that ended abruptly because the host just up and disappeared for a few weeks...).

ANTM competitions and assignments have been done ad nauseum, and people are very very used to them by now. It seems like these days people are looking for new and unique competitions to join (two that I'm in right now are goth-related and grunge-related), something that isn't just the same old basic ads and runway shots and things like that unless they're really outside the box). There are a few good sci-fi competitions going now, and several others that are truly unique and different than the haphazard cookie-cutter ones that used to litter the forum.

I think that if you're really interested in starting your own, you should make SURE that you have the time and energy to devote to it for the entire duration. You can't really just start it then disappear until it's time to do scores -- people will have questions, need help and/or extensions, yada yada. It helps sometimes when the host and/or judges come up with good example pictures. And your rules need to be very CLEARLY laid out so that there's no mistaking anything.

I can't stress enough how important it is to stay devoted to your own competition. People take time out of their very busy work, school, and home schedules just to enter YOUR competition, so the very LEAST a host can do is be present and stay active in contest threads. When a host just bows out and disappears, it leaves people hanging. You don't know whether to just wait it out or drop, especially if no one can get in contact with the host. It's SO FRUSTRATING when that happens -- and I'm not talking about crazy real life stuff that you have no control over...sometimes you have to deal with bigger responsibilities than your competition -- but at LEAST let everyone know that there will be a delay, and have a plan in place. Maybe you allow one of the judges to take over, or even someone outside the competition. Just don't leave people hanging and wondering if there is still a contest to even participate in.

So again, I personally don't think hosting a competition is very easy at all, at least not if you devote yourself to it the way you should (and there are tons of examples of excellent hosts around here who stay VERY active in their own competitions). That's not to be discouraging, but those are issues that people bring up all the time (myself included). If you do start one, good luck with it! :D
    vLDcu1q.png
    "If you don't talk to your cat about catnip... who will?"

"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
  • Options
    Simpixie2255Simpixie2255 Posts: 2,945 New Member
    edited April 2010
    Thanks for the advice. I have lots of time to devote to this . I stay at home and can play lots of hrs. I will think of another the maybe , i just like the creativity of the antm shoots. So i will think of a creative contest, Will probally post some time by the end of the day.
  • Options
    miloandotismiloandotis Posts: 5,475 New Member
    edited April 2010
    Well, I just started up a modeling competition myself! It's my first one, so I'm still new to the way all of this works. My #1 tip for someone who wants to start one is..be original. No one wants to join the same competition hosted by different people 1000 times. And along with that, be specific. That way you will get the results you want. You also want to have ideas in your head on next assignments, so you can be organized about it when the time comes. On top of all that. have fun and don't freak out if no one joins right away. It takes time!
    :)