Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

CAW Research Thread: Tricks and Tiptorials.

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    ClawswpClawswp Posts: 470 New Member
    edited April 2010
    Uberdive wells,

I tried a while back to use ubderdive wells and it seemed to cause a lot of lag when using them. I madea post about this a while back and other people replied and told me how it causes too much lag for them also.

I changed to use a no visitors allowed lot type but it was still slow. A normal lot also = way worse lag so bad couldnt move. But no visitors allwoed lot type was still sluggish.

i havent downloaded your world so i dont know but have you used an uber dive well on it? Does it cause any lag when the sim goes through it? What lot type did you use?
  • Options
    tea_and_bluestea_and_blues Posts: 889 Member
    edited April 2010
    @Clawswp: I've used uber dive wells in my world and it doesn't cause lag with hidden lots and with No Visitors Allowed lots.

What does cause lag is any errors in pathing and routing: Any place that a sim can get 'stuck'. This can be lots of things. It can be layered roads, or disconnected ones, it can be forgetting to rebuild routing data before saving and exporting, and it can be areas that sims can get into but can't get out of easily. I suggest going over your world with a fine tooth comb: It's probably a pathing error - an NPC getting stuck - that's causing the lag, not the uber dive wells.
  • Options
    Fenix7777777Fenix7777777 Posts: 13
    edited April 2010
    This is very cool to have bookmarked, thank you for this :thumbup: :) Just wish I could have it in front of me while I'm doing the actual building :lol: Seriously need to get some ink for my printer.

I didn't seriously look into all of this the first time I built my world, and ended up getting so frustrated with the roads, that I just deleted it loaded Rivervalley light and added my own lots etc to it, it's got the roads already loaded and the terrain. But now I want to do it myself, so I'm doing the actual research on it. I guess that makes me a newbie at it, even if I have had my own world before. Maybe you can help me fix it, I just want to be able to get my sims out of there as they've already achieved all their lifetime aspirations. The problem came in when I had to uninstall my game and re-install it (patch went haywire) :thumbdown: :x . I copied the saves folder to a safe place first and then put it back when it was done as well as for my downloads where I had my world as well. Installed it again (successfully), but when in the game it doesn't show up, :cry: it's like it's not there, but if you hover your mouse to where it's supposed to be, a box comes up saying "cannot load this saved game. it may have been saved with an expansionpack that is no longer present on this system" :? . Not even EA can help me with this one. I have since followed all their instruction including renaming the backup and the .sims3 file, to no avail, un-installed and re-installed 3 times already. Now I and they are at a loss. :?: What went wrong, any ideas? I just want to be able to get my family out safely so I can move them to another (my own created) world and continue playing with them. Maybe even upload it for others to play with. Haven't done any uploading yet, but have been considering it. But I want it perfect first. Anyway, any ideas on how I can at least get them out safely? I would soooo appreciate it.

Yes, I tend to write essays :oops: :lol: sowi :)
  • Options
    Walden95Walden95 Posts: 3,089 Member
    edited April 2010
    I'm adding this to the Walden95 Post Directory.

I think that this post is just that great that it should have as photo Ad. It helps to spot out and solve some of those issues that many are having. Would you mind if I posted this up in the directory?
    ip7hxl.gif
    If you would like it to be edited or just choose not to have it, just let me know.

I find it an extremely valuable resource for anyone just beginning to use the tool. thumbsup.gif

Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    veronda522veronda522 Posts: 59 Member
    edited April 2010
    WHAT???
    1 tile in caw is a whole wall in game??

im new and soooo confused...
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Whoops. Sorry for any confusion veronda. The tiles in CAW meaning the smallest tiles, not the larger blocks.

I've added a partially finished tutorial on adding Sims to worlds. It works extremely well so far, but I've included a lot of cautions all the same.

Tutorial for Adding Sims to Worlds (mods required)
  • Options
    Bubby0824Bubby0824 Posts: 13
    edited June 2010
    So. . .when people download someone`s world, there will be no Sims in it?!
  • Options
    auntielyndsauntielynds Posts: 3,071 Member
    edited June 2010
    Ah, this is fantastic!

I saw your post about it in your world thread and almost did a somersault! I haven't tried it yet with all the Caw issues and what not, but I'll be giving it a try soon. If I have any questions should I post here or at MTS? I shouldn't have any questions though, you're tutorial looks clear and concise.

Thank you Kiwi for sharing over here.

big2_1.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I meant to earlier auntielynds, but I wanted to be confident on what I could and couldn't advise people to do. The MTS thread has been my testing ground, but I think it's safe enough and I can be sure enough of what does and doesn't work to start spreading it around the community actively. It's tricky business, but it seems to work really well when creators get it down. :)

One glaring inaccuracy though: I believe twallan's DebugEnabler *does* work, it just doesn't work unless you unpause the game and let it run for one Sim minute. I'll test that, and fix it. I'm sure a lot of players would be more comfortable if awesomemod wasn't involved by necessity, just in case it hurts compatibility.

Edit: Try as I might I cannot get this to work. I guess awesomemod is the way it has to be. Thankfully, I don't think it *is* hurting compability, given what my testers have said.

I'll have the rest of the tutorial up in a few hours, and if you try it out and find I'm wrong anywhere don't flinch at editing the wiki page, or otherwise letting me know.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Thanks to twallan of NRaas I've added a very important addition to the population tutorial. If anyone finds Sims have static motives, this is the cause:
    Step Four: Reset motives before saving

Before saving there is one essential step that creator must take using NRaas DebugEnabler. Sims' motives are calculated in accordance with the time in the world. More than likely the creator has let the clock run in Edit-In-Game, and this can cause an intial lag in when the motives begin to calculate for players who have just loaded up the world. Thank twallan of NRaas for providing a specific solution to this issue. Using DebugEnabler, and making sure the game is paused, select the '''restartmotives''' command. Now save the game, without letting the clock run again. This ensures that all Sims' motives will start calculating as soon as the world is loaded. If you adjust the world in any way that lets the clock run, remember to redo this step before saving.

Thanks VERY much to twallan for this fix!
  • Options
    WittyladyWittylady Posts: 573 Member
    edited June 2010
    Hi All, Just been reading all the messages from other members and can I just say that, as a relative newbie to CAW, ANY help is gratefully received from others, and that I personally search all the sims forums and web to get answers.

I have learnt so much from the generous time and effort others have spared in trying to sort any problems I have and it shouldn't be territorial. I just wish I was sufficiently knowledgeable enough to give advice to others. I have every admiration for those that do.

I do need some help though lol, but was sidetracted by the hostility to a member offering help, which is sad. :(

My problem is: Certains building i have created do not seem to want to "Save" when in " edit in game". I have looked for an answer and someone mentioned the property browser. Mine is empty and I am not sure how properties are listed in it OR how I name roads.

There does not appear to be anything unusual in my builds - except perhaps their design, I have tried to keep the buildings fairly empty but still they wont save. Any suggestions please to the rather tall questions :?:
  • Options
    drowssapdrowssap Posts: 2,007 Member
    edited June 2010
    i dont think iv seen this thread before

:shock:

a lot of good information and links here
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Sorry for the slow response Wittylady. That's not a problem I've actually heard of before. I know they're never much help, but have you alerted EA's customer support about this issue?

Naming roads is a matter of looking for the box in the left pane when you click on a lot in CAW, not in EIG. You don't name the roads themselves, but you give an address (eg. 15 Plain Lane) to each lot individually.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top