Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I want to compliment EA on a particular aspect of HELS.

Okay, I've had HELS for awhile now, but I haven't had the chance to install/play it yet. I realize that I'm criticizing EA in the Mac forum for the lack of CAW--BETA or otherwise on that platform, but I've also noted that I'd compliment EA when I felt that they did something right.

Having said that, I have a compliment for EA: EA, I want to thank you. I want to thank you for labeling HELS as WIN/MAC compatible rather than PC/MAC compatible. This is something that really gets under my skin (Macs are a type of PC, just as Windows and Linux machines are types of PCs,) and I'm glad someone decided to label the package accurately, as WIN/MAC compatible rather than PC/MAC compatible. Again, this may seem small, but thank you; it's something that I consider worth commending. :)

Comments

• Options
    mikeejimbomikeejimbo Posts: 165 New Member
    edited March 2010
    Good point. Though technically shouldn't it say WIN/OS X compatible, then?
  • Options
    AlexRoz9AlexRoz9 Posts: 309 New Member
    edited March 2010
    mikeejimbo wrote:
    Good point.
    Thank you. :)
    mikeejimbo wrote:
    Though technically shouldn't it say WIN/OS X compatible, then?
    Hmm... although I don't think so, I'd honestly have to think about this one; let me explain. The full name of OS X is actually Mac OS X. At present, Apple Inc. is still waiting for approval to trademark the use of OS X without the word "Mac" in front of it. (Similarly, I believe that the USP&TO only allowed Microsoft to trademark "Microsoft Windows," and not "Windows" itself, but I'd have to check and see if that's still the case.)

Unlike the term "PC," which can be applied to any personal computer, including a Mac, the term "Mac" can only be applied to a specific platform. Mac OS X can only be run legally on a Mac, (see Apple V. Psystar,) and the word "Mac" is part of the OS name, so the way I see it WIN/MAC is correct. In my mind, OS X is a specific version of the Mac OS, just like OS 9 was a specific version of the Mac OS, and XP, Vista, and 7 are specific versions of the Windows OS. (10.5 and 10.6 are specific builds of Mac OS X, just like Windows 95/98/98SE/ME/2000 were all specific builds of Windows 4.) Remember, there is no such thing as "OS X iPhone," the proper name of the iPhone's OS is iPhone OS.

Finally, I think WIN/MAC just looks more accurate, removes any ambiguity surrounding official Linux support, and keeps us at three letters for each OS without any spaces in the OS name. I suppose if EA released a version of TS3 that included Linux support, the box would read WIN/LIN/MAC. In any case, you make a good point.
  • Options
    AquaticaAquatica Posts: 110 New Member
    edited March 2010
    On the contrary, the EA Store, where I just purchased my HELS, is insane. They have the actual physical copy labeled as "PC" when you look at it in your cart. The EA Chat people I have spoken with have also said it says it's Windows only, but of course since it's a physical copy, it is definitely both. On top of that, the site really doesn't work because every time you try to check your orders, it takes you to one of two different login pages. One usually works, the other always says your password is invalid. The one login that works leads you to a page that says you have no orders to view. The only way I currently know my order exists is the lack of 50 dollars for my pre-order of Ambitions and HELS in my bank, and the emails/tracking number I have. I have Googled this issue, and there are posts from people back in mid-09 saying the store was doing this, and they have also chatted with people about it. Still no fix. :roll: Plus, the EA Chat/Sims Chat is broken, essentially. You wait half an hour, and then when you're supposed to be connected to someone, it says your connection was canceled. Sometimes, you get someone, and immediately they disconnect or in the middle of chatting, it disconnects. Then you repeat the half hour wait. :?