Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Game Guide: Collector's vs. Regular Edition?

What exactly are the differences between the Collector's Edition Game Guide and the regular one?
Is it just the one being hard cover/coming with free stuff, or is there a difference in the information that they provide too?

Comments

• Options
    HappySimmingHappySimming Posts: 52 Member
    edited June 2009
    From what I have read about them, I think it is just the mousepad and it is hardcover.

Anyone know for sure?
  • Options
    bri26bri26 Posts: 14 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I bought the Collectors Edition because Best Buy only had Collectors Edition. I would have preferred to buy a cheaper version. It comes as a hardback, has a mouse pad, and a poster inside it. Yipee. I like soft cover books when it comes to game guides. They are easier to stick in my laptop bag.
  • Options
    ElysianBlightElysianBlight Posts: 17 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Wow things get buried fast here :p

Actually the only place I see the collector's edition guide is best buy.. and besides the hardcover and mousepad, it has a free vine pattern.
    I like vines.
    Does anyone know if buying the guide is the only way to get that pattern, or is the same one available in the shop?
  • Options
    chelseaman99chelseaman99 Posts: 77 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I thought it also came with a free car download . . .

And a mini game guide . . .
  • Options
    CherbearSharonCherbearSharon Posts: 213 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I went with the CE.

It came with a mouse pad (a pretty crappy one, but it has the logo which is cute)
    A hardcover (which is good for me because I would ruin it by now)
    A vine pattern for your sims
    and a map of the town (I thought this was neat, I put it on my wall next to the computer)

The guide itself is huge. 200+ pages and although some things in there experienced players wouldn't care for, they have lots of list of everything in the game, which I find helpful. Including the objects in the buy catalog and what everything is worth and how much in value it drops which is neat.

Get it at best buy

They let me use this coupon

http://i43.tinypic.com/2wg6rmq.jpg

and if you have a best buy rewards card use it because for some reason when i used mine they took another dollar off. WooWoot!

• Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,653 Member
    edited June 2009
    Based on what somebody said about all the information jammed into the Collector's Guide, I ran out and purchased it just moments ago. I did secure the right to bring it back should it lack the information I sought. In flipping through both guides (Official Prima Guide and the Collector's Guide) I've come to suspect they are identical with the exception of the mousepad and the vinepattern offered for download, (which I cannot find on this site anywhere!. Oh, and the CG is hardcover vs. the soft covered Prima Guide.

I will be taking this lovely hardcopy back. I'd keep it, since hardcovers seem to fare better over time, but I don't believe I have the receipt for the soft cover any longer and I'd already taken the map out of it days ago having no clue that a hard cover was even available for the same amount I paid for the soft cover version. Grr :(

I'm very disappointed with the guides. I need to know more about the copy town function (why and when to use it), and a few other such functions that didn't exist in Sims2. There were no instructions on how to access the same town to add another family to it, for instance. People struggled for hours to figure that one out. Many thanks to them for coming here and explaning it.

These and more, required a brief explanation and I expected more technical things of this nature in the guide, not merely how to proceed once I'd created a Sim. This is a new platform, after all, and not all of us are experienced gamers ...
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Kasper92PKasper92P Posts: 101 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I thought it also came with a free car download . . .

And a mini game guide . . .

No that is if you buy the collectors edition game. The guide is the book for the game
  • Options
    Grobanite113Grobanite113 Posts: 385 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I went with the Collector's Edition, because that was the only one available at Best Buy (the WalMart I went to didn't have any in stock at all). The mousepad it came with is cute, but I probably won't get much use out of it since I'm on a laptop (I do have a USB mouse that I use sometimes, so I can use it then). I really like the map, though. It's pretty neat.