Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Worlds with population

Hi
Have you found some worlds that comes with population?
I only found one.
All these empty worlds takes so long time to populate....

Comments

• Options
    BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    edited February 2010
    When it comes to populated worlds, you have two choices. You either upload your world as a Sims3Pack file without Sims or you upload it as a game save file which can have Sims. I really wish there was an option for adding Sims to the world when it's created but there isn't.

Of course there's also the problem that it has already taken the world creator a serious amount of time to build their world and I think by the time it's finished not a lot of people want to take the time to create Sims.

All you need to do is create your family and move them into your unpopulated map, making sure to have Story Progression turned on. Within a day or so families will start moving in and before you know it you'll have at least a half-dozen families without doing anything. You could even turn aging off during this time so the family you're playing doesn't get too far ahead of the immigrants age-wise.

The two worlds I currently know of that have Sims are Alpine Shores and an island "kingdom" at MTS. There could be more that I don't know of.
    Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)
  • Options
    MeresimPMeresimP Posts: 2,134 Member
    edited February 2010
    Thanks - it was the Kingdom I knew about.
    I dont no ... I was stupid enough to start a legacy in an empty world. And that is not to be recommended
    My founder will get old before she can find a partner an create an heir :D
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Actually, I start all my Legacies in an empty town. I set my Sim off to schmoozing one of the service workers and let the town populate itself. By the time my heir's children are ready to find a spouse there will be a nice pool from which to choose and if not there's still the service worker option.

I haven't played in forever, but the last one I started this way married his really cute mail lady and they had two pretty daughters. One of the daughters married a repairman she met in the park and the other daughter married one of a boy from the town. When next I get back to playing with them I'm not sure if I'll pick up where I left off, or revert to a back-up I made shortly before where the girls were still teens.

There is a save version of Alpine Shores that is populated. It's a really nice town but there are problems with quite a few of the houses. I was using it to test something one day and needed a house with children for my testings so snagged the first family I could find with kids. I was rounding them up to get them off to school and the adult in the household was hungry so I sent her off to get some food. I came back from tending the kids to find she was even hungrier than before so told her again to grab some food. For some reason she couldn't even enter the 3-tile-wide kitchen. I finally gave up and moved the fridge to the kitchen just to keep her from starving to death.

Also, way too many of the houses are built using building cheats for my tastes. I like nice houses but building cheats aren't necessary and too many times they can really mess something up. So, if you want to use that town make sure you look through the houses. When I get back to it I think I'll be dozing every residential lot on the map and replacing them with houses I know will work.
  • Options
    Damienf519Damienf519 Posts: 6,993 Member
    edited February 2010
    BSIRegina,

Interesting. I didn't know that you could upload saved games. How do you do that? I thought that you could only upload the pack files to the exchange. I'd also like to be able to upload a town with people already in it and maybe with ghosts already in the grave yard.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Damien, you are right in that you can't upload saved games to the Exchange, just Sims3Pack files. Anyone who uploads a save file does it either to their own website, a site like MTS, or one of the big file-share sites.

As it is, the Exchange doesn't work for uploading worlds anyway, but a lot of people, including me, don't bother with the Exchange even if it does work as it's supposed to. It's just a pain in the rear. I love the flexibility having my own website gives me. I determine which pictures go with what I upload and how those images are presented. It gives people a ton better impression of what I'm showcasing than the Exchange can ever do.

On top of that I'm not limited to Sims3Pack files. If I want to upload patterns in .package format I can do that. If I want to upload terrain textures to use in C-A-W I can do that. Or how about default replacement files like for roads and money trees and such? Sure can't upload that kind of fun stuff to the Exchange.
  • Options
    Damienf519Damienf519 Posts: 6,993 Member
    edited February 2010
    BSIRegina,

I'm disappointed then, but as it is I might not be able to upload to the exchange anyway, due to all the problems I've been hearing about with it. Still, thanks for clarifying
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Well Damien, you can do what a lot of other people are doing: upload to a site like Media Fire or Rapid Share and post in the World Index thread. Unless EA fixes the Exchange everyone is left to their own devices.