Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can't click on family tree

For the broke family, Flo and Flat died and Trigger moved out, but now I can't click on Skip's or Buck's family tree. I can however click on Skips sister. However, Skip and his sister are no longer related. Skip's family tree is completely blank! Like he was a CAS or something. Has this issure been looked into yet? I searched the forums and found nothing similar.

Comments

• Options
    IamMamainredIamMamainred Posts: 7,042 New Member
    edited December 2009
    This is not a normal bug. Do you have ANY 3rd party content in your game ?
  • Options
    panther718panther718 Posts: 30 New Member
    edited December 2009
    Stuff from the store.
  • Options
    lotg2814lotg2814 Posts: 19 New Member
    edited December 2009
    This problem has been posted on these forums a few times.
    I know this is so simply because I looked for it, since I found the same bug as well.

I have a theory that the family tree can only cope with so many sims in it. I have a legacy style game going and, up until shortly after playing WA for a while, the family tree was absolutely fine.

A while later, after a few sims were born and died, the various described family tree problems came up.

I looked at the saved game using the Sims 3 Neighborhood Workshop and there may be a clue there which leads to a related but different theory. The original sim I started with (who has stayed alive all this time thanks to ambrosia) had six kids before WA. None since. Yet the editor lists one born overseas ... even though this sim has never been seen, the sim never slept with anyone overseas, etc. Most importantly, this mystery child was never seen on the family tree.
    It has been widely reported that mystery foreign children appear at random, I would assume that it is this same bug that causes the family tree to disintegrate.
  • Options
    panther718panther718 Posts: 30 New Member
    edited December 2009
    I didn't switch families though. So there's no way he could have dated a foreign sim. I read this forum yesterday and the author of it didn't switch families either, only her problem was, the was a daughter or hers that she didn't know about randomly living in someone's house. Strange. I really hope they do a patch. And soon.
  • Options
    NancyNancy Posts: 380 Member
    edited January 2010
    There are loads of topics with family tree problems similar to yours.
    When you say you can't find anything similar, you must have not looked very hard. :roll:
    Just type 'family tree' into the search topic box and you will find alot of people with the same problem as you
  • Options
    magnetic_catmagnetic_cat Posts: 32 New Member
    edited January 2010
    I'm also having this problem. I really hope the next patch addresses this issue... I too have legacy-style families, and the size and variety of the family is what makes the game so fun and interesting for me...
  • Options
    gabby2k9gabby2k9 Posts: 77 New Member
    edited January 2010
    I'm having the same issue. First it was with 1 sim but now it has taken over the entire family and none of them have a family tree. I wouldn't mind so much if it were a family i didn't play so much but i am on the 6th generation and now have no idea what other family members are upto.
  • Options
    JMS16019JMS16019 Posts: 100 New Member
    edited January 2010
    I have the same problem in my first generation! Female Sim went to China and got married to a local. Family tree worked fine. Female Sim goes on a trip alone - I clicked on the family tree and her son's thumbnail is at the wrong age. From there the trouble began. When she got back, I could no longer click on the family tree button - until... the son got married to the maid. Now, I can only see the family tree though his wife - clicking on any of the other three family members results in a blank window.

I use no adds or mods - only Sims Store or HolySimoly CC.
  • Options
    BerBearCBerBearC Posts: 20
    edited January 2010
    Has anyone received a straight answer from customer support on this issue? I just want to hear that they're aware of the problem and working on it, but they never seem to admit anything like that...

I agree with the person that said the family tree seems unable to support many sims. I seemed to have lost my family trees when I got to the third generation of my family with at least 3 siblings having their own families. I noticed it after a vacation, and thought I just needed to restart the game. The family trees never came back.

Has anyone had this issue resolved?
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    edited January 2010
    I don't believe that this problem is about too many Sims in the family tree. I have the problem too and I am quite sure that it is about a corrupted family tree.

The problem seems to come from World Adventures. In WA Sims at the vacation destinations sometimes have children which get random parents. This way your Sim suddenly can get new unexpected children. But I think that the family trees get corrupted in such a way that maybe your Sim will become the dad without the child having your Sim as a dad. This gives a corrupted family tree which the game won't show you.

I am only guessing. But I didn't have this problem earlier and I know that such things happen after WA is installed.
  • Options
    Iris135Iris135 Posts: 1 New Member
    I found the solution!!! Download nraas, master controller. Go to advanced, family and delete a family member. And than you add it again. After that your family tree is fine again!
  • Options
    EA_LeelooEA_Leeloo Posts: 2,019 EA Staff (retired)
    Hey there,

Since this thread had been inactive since 2010 and had come to a natural conclusion, I'm closing it as per our necroposting rules.

- Leeloo
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top