Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Wow I'm so happy! Not...

Just got off the phone with technical support to find out I have to buy a new darn video card graphics whatever its called. He said about $40 - $60. So I'm basically going to have to buy it to play this game :evil: I don't get the greatest hours to be paying this much for this game. I thought that EA was going to work it out to where us older computers (if you consider 4 years old) could play this friggen game! I was so excited to play but I was bound to get on and crash at the stupid Create A Sim. I'm so unhappy it's not even funny. Tomorrow looks like I got to go buy a graphics or whatever video? card.

Questions:

Does anyone reccomend a certain brand?
Best buy or walmart for prices?
AND
How do I get this thing into my computer??? :shock:

Comments

• Options
    RtFusionRtFusion Posts: 64 New Member
    edited June 2009
    shyshy0886 wrote:
    Just got off the phone with technical support to find out I have to buy a new darn video card graphics whatever its called. He said about $40 - $60. So I'm basically going to have to buy it to play this game :evil: I don't get the greatest hours to be paying this much for this game. I thought that EA was going to work it out to where us older computers (if you consider 4 years old) could play this friggen game! I was so excited to play but I was bound to get on and crash at the stupid Create A Sim. I'm so unhappy it's not even funny. Tomorrow looks like I got to go buy a graphics or whatever video? card.

Questions:

Does anyone reccomend a certain brand?
    Best buy or walmart for prices?
    AND
    How do I get this thing into my computer??? :shock:

hey there. post up your specs and I can probably recommend you some upgrades and links. I have built and upgraded computers before so I may be able to help you.

But the age does tell me that it is fairly slow. You can purchase fairly good computer from best buy or futureshop (if you live in Canada)at decent prices.
  • Options
    shyshy0886shyshy0886 Posts: 34 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Hmmm it won't let me copy and past my dxdiag settings? Is there another way I can paste this information?
  • Options
    HarlequinDreamsHarlequinDreams Posts: 93 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I wish I only had to spend $50.

I have to buy a whole new computer to play.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    That's what I'm kind of afraid of. I'm going to take it to Best Buy tomorrow and see what magic tricks they can do. I'm clueless as to if my computer will even take a new graphics card or if one will even fit, I'm a computer noob. ATM I have an EMachines desktop computer. Are you having the same issue?
  • Options
    BaelzianythBaelzianyth Posts: 684 Member
    edited June 2009
    simply put get the best graphics card you can find.

It's much easier than you think since it is very hard to find any graphics cards at all offline that are worth it.

anything with 512 megs of ram you can find for $60 will go a long way.

ATI's HD2000 and 3000 line play the game well. I have an HD2900 which runs the game like a dream.

The other thing though, for performance, would be upgrading your CPU and ram. What the technician failed to mention is that although buying a shader model 2.0+ card will help.. it's not even close to the heart of the issue. Your 4 year old PC is too old. Grabbing an entire 99 dollar PC at a PC recycling center that is more recent will get you much farther than buying new parts (even then you might want to add some ram (DDRII) to it and a multithreaded CPU like the intel core 2 duo series).
    Forum needs a Sympathy option to add to disagree (automatic), Agree (after finding proof of statement elsewhere), Like (not sure what this is for other than sympathy comments to OPs that done a bad), and LOL (at oblivious people posting comments fishing for sympathy).
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I have never ever heard of a Recycled computer place? That's new to me. I'd rather spend that $90 than spending money on a new video card and a new ram stick! X_x I guess I will print out all the NEEDED requirements, take this stupid thing to Best Buy and see how much it would cost me. I kinda wish I would have bought a new lap top with my graduation money now! :cry:
  • Options
    TurtlemhTurtlemh Posts: 6 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I have a geforce 6800 graphics card and it worked fine on spore.. I don't understand do I really need a new one?
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Turtlemh wrote:
    I have a geforce 6800 graphics card and it worked fine on spore.. I don't understand do I really need a new one?

You don't need a new video card, yours is supported :) If your having problems it might be with something else.
  • Options
    leftyflip86leftyflip86 Posts: 2 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Turtlemh wrote:

No, it should work fine.

shyshy0886, what emachines computer model do you have? It should say somewhere on the computer case. That would allow someone to look up the specs of your computer and recommend the best graphics card.
  • Options
    codyr2391codyr2391 Posts: 75 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I also have a geforce 6800 and have some graphical errors and problems. No clue if thats the reason or is it something more serious.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Sadly I just went through my whole house to find AT least one computer that would be able to run The Sims 3, and of course (even the one my mom bought like 10 months ago) will not be able to run it. I'm so disapointed I have to go through the struggle of calling best buy in my local area, best buy 24 hours, doing research, calling walmart (yeah they don't have video cards) and a lot more OTHER things just to FIND out what I need and to figure out if I can afford it.

Now I have to call my emachine company to find out if I can even install a new Video card. Tomorrow I have to go to best buy to go through more struggle to find an affordable video card and I'll have to install it myself best I will NOT pay for something that I can figure out how to do on my own.

I am SOOOO stressed about this! EA had to make things difficult. My computer ran the Sims 2 JUST fine, no glitches no problems. I don't understand why it's taking so much just to get this. It truely is sad. I also hate seeing how many people are ALSO having problems! ITS ONLY THE FIRST DAY TOO!!....for some of us. How horrible is this that all of EA's loyal customers have to go through this BS? I WANTED TO complain and complain about this. Even though I should have been ready to be upset with this anyways...it is predictable.

Yeah I know I'm crying a lot, but I bought the game this morning and went to work. When I got home around 5 PM I hopped right to the task. It's now 9 35 here and I have gotten nowhere. I pretty much see that its going to cost me a lot of money to just get this video card!!!! I don't see anything $40 - $60 that will be able to run this!!! :cry:

I hope other people are having way better luck than I am!

Emachine Professional btw.