Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

If you are having problems with CAW... I can answer some of them

hey..

Im making this because when I was making my world I found that I was having problems with everything I did,

1st I made a world. but then when I wanted to edit it in the game it crashed out and went back to my desktop...

anyway if you are having this problem well there are things I found out after you have to do...

<b>To edit in game<b/>

1- when creating roads they all have to join up... to know when your roads are joined together the squares have to all be light blue if they are a dark blue this means that they are not joint together, use the 'move world object' tool on the top tool bar to fix it.

2- all world lots HAVE to have names this stops problems when editing in game.

these things must be done for you to edit in game.
When you are finished editing in the game, SAVE, then return to CAW and everything you done should be there,

If you are trying to export your world then you have to go
File/select world to export
if a sign pops up and says that you haven't named the file ect...
then this is what you have to do

to export world
1- go to where you see your worlds layers
2- right hand click on the world icon
3- click add/edit description

you should find that a box pops-up and there you type in the name, description and the at the bottom add a picture

adding a picture

Im not sure if there is other ways but this is how I did it,

1- I went into a space in my world where I want to take a picture
2- then I print screened my screen
(to do this along the top of your keybored Is a botton that has PRT SCRN/SYS RQ this is the botton you want to press look for it...it is along the top near the F11...F12 ect)
3- then I opened up paint since I don't have photoshop, so I went on paint and at the top I pressed the icon that says 'edit' 'click' then press 'paste' you should have your picture there....
4- you don't really want the rest of the CAW stuff apart from the picture so you need to go on the paint icons where you find the 'fill in' and the 'paint brush' ect....then find a box with dotted lines, click then drag it towards your picture, start at the coners where you want to have you picture, drag right across untill you have a dotted box around your image.
5- right click and copy this
6- then open a new paint file
7- click 'edit' agian at the top bar and the 'paste' you should find the image you just copied from dragging that box over it. anyway then you need to make it the correct size
8- click 'edit' along the top bar, press 'select all' then it should highlight your image,
9- drag it to the correct size

size - H-256 x W-256

10- then click 'image' at the top bar
11- then click 'attributes' a box will pop up and then write the size measure ments inside the two boxes.then 'ok' and you should have your image the correct size
12- save your image and save it as PNG files... save your image in

My documents/Electronic arts/sims 3 CAW/thumbnails
save there and then you can close paint

13- return to your CAW go back and open add/edit description thn click to browse for your image (box, 3 dots)go to
My documents/Electronic arts/sims 3 CAW/thumbnails
where you saved the picture click it.
and then thats the picture done

you then just click export world and the open your sims 3 launcher and its in there

Installing into your game

this is hard but this is how I did it, im not sure if there are other ways but I know this works
1- open my documents/Electronic arts/sims 3/Exports
2- find the one you had just Exported (your world)
3- right click and press copy
4- go back to documents/Electronic arts/sims 3 and click installed worlds, right click/paste
5- double click and it should install

Comments

• Options
    pgeorgina123pgeorgina123 Posts: 191 New Member
    edited December 2009
    Sorry that It is long, hope it has help any problems

comment if you don't understand some of it...

• Options
    bloodyrose29813bloodyrose29813 Posts: 408 New Member
    edited December 2009
    it didnt work for me i cant figure out how to save it as a 24 bit png.
  • Options
    AthenaOnyxAthenaOnyx Posts: 3,921 Member
    edited December 2009
    In the installing your own world #4 did you mean to put paste instead of copy?
  • Options
    water_cat1water_cat1 Posts: 751 New Member
    edited December 2009
    another way to make it 24-bit is to use [google]paint.net [/google]or [google]pixelformer[/google]. both are free. for pixelformer when you paste you image in there is a box in the top right. right click on your image there and select properties then rgb 24-bit. paint.net i heard someone say that when you save as a .png it asks you what you want it saved as.
  • Options
    Splodge87Splodge87 Posts: 8 New Member
    edited December 2009
    its kinda stupid but how do u "actually" install ur created world into the game?
  • Options
    Splodge87Splodge87 Posts: 8 New Member
    edited December 2009
    just need to install it to my game why is it so complecated?
  • Options
    BarlotteBarlotte Posts: 3
    edited February 2010
    thanks so much for the info on resizing the image/thumbnail! i've searched and searched all over the web and it looks like you're the only useful person around!:shock: :D :thumbup:

However i did the select all risize bit and the loaded it up; it said it needed to be 24bit???? Do you know how to do that?

Also on edit in game mode it still doesnt work(keeps crashing???)any other tips....?? :cry:

your or anyones help would be much appriciated, thanks, Barlotte. :?:

• Options
    geebee1100geebee1100 Posts: 180 New Member
    edited March 2010
    :(i did what u said but when i go to export it sayes cannot export world world has no description world has no thumbnail?
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited March 2010
    geebee1100 wrote:
    :(i did what u said but when i go to export it sayes cannot export world world has no description world has no thumbnail?

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/152074.page

The same place you clicked on to add a layer is where you click and choose Add/Edit Description.

You need a 256 pixel picture in a png format that used a 24 bit color.

If you can not get a picture or the programs, I can alter a picture of your neighborhood for you. Just link your picture here from photobucket or another site. I can alter it and link it back here. You will just have to right click it and save as...
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    edited March 2010
    2- all world lots HAVE to have names this stops problems when editing in game.

No they don't, I don't name any of my lots and I can edit in game and export my worlds fine.

Great post though, really informative, thank you :)
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    amaibellaamaibella Posts: 2 New Member
    edited March 2010
    I have a problem when I go to the Terrain tab and go to sculpt there are no options in my modifiers box is there anyway to fix that?
  • Options
    johnscott10johnscott10 Posts: 157 New Member
    edited March 2010
    um u dont need to copy anything into installed worlds folder for installing worlds, simply double click it in the exports folder and it should work, always has for me
  • Options
    CaecusLacrimaCaecusLacrima Posts: 803 Member
    edited March 2010
    I have a small question to ask while I'm here.

When placing buildings such as airports, I always have trouble trying to rotate them as they just seem whiz around in circles. I've tried moving my mouse with the smallest movements to slow it down, but I still can't get it to work.

Is there a knack to this or am I missing something?
  • Options
    johnscott10johnscott10 Posts: 157 New Member
    edited March 2010
    I have a small question to ask while I'm here.

When placing buildings such as airports, I always have trouble trying to rotate them as they just seem whiz around in circles. I've tried moving my mouse with the smallest movements to slow it down, but I still can't get it to work.

Is there a knack to this or am I missing something?

i find it easier to just place the object in game and then use the property box for rotating items, it takes a bit of time but is easier than using the ingame rotate option unless u want a random looking rock
  • Options
    CaecusLacrimaCaecusLacrima Posts: 803 Member
    edited March 2010
    But things like bridges cannot be done in-game can they? I know the work buildings can, but I didn't think buildings like the airport and such could be - or do you have to use the buydebug cheat?
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited March 2010
    But things like bridges cannot be done in-game can they? I know the work buildings can, but I didn't think buildings like the airport and such could be - or do you have to use the buydebug cheat?

No, Bridges are not available in Game. Nor is the Airport and some of the other objects in CAW.
  • Options
    jessrose24jessrose24 Posts: 58 New Member
    edited March 2010
    Excellent post, I have been tring to export my world for agesss! I didn't have a clue. I did everything you said and now I can play my world. Thankyou so so much! :D *little too excited*, maybe I have lost the plot a little, hmmm? :/
  • Options
    beccatorianybeccatoriany Posts: 4
    edited April 2010
    Hey,
    Your forum really help its just that I cant export it, it says your file has no name discription or thumbnail but I have all of them!
    HELP please!
    Thankyou
  • Options
    beccatorianybeccatoriany Posts: 4
    edited April 2010
    Umm in CAW none of my buildings work and none of the community lots exist after I put them in what happened?
  • Options
    water_cat1water_cat1 Posts: 751 New Member
    edited April 2010
    please read the FAQ at the top of the first page, and use the search feature. adding description and picture are in there and practicly asked everyday.

as for the community lot probelem i am not sure. riverview rabbitholes do not for some reason appear in CAW and also check the routing (show routing data under the view tab)
  • Options
    Minimelo649Minimelo649 Posts: 373 New Member
    edited April 2010

OMG happens to me to!!! Isnt that the most annoying thing ever! Thats why if I have to rotate it, i just delete it and replace it! It always works better when you first get it from Metadata!
  • Options
    landoggylandoggy Posts: 88 New Member
    edited April 2010
    IT WORKED! Thank you so much! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    DocsprockDocsprock Posts: 3,869 Member
    edited April 2010
    After you edit your description and thumbnail, you have to save it again. THEN export it.

To get an easy thumbnail, go to EIG, (Edit-in-Game), and hit C to take a snapshot. It is saved in MyDocuments/Electronic Arts/TS3/Snapshots. Microsoft Paint is very easy to edit to the correct size and Save As a .png.

EDIT: Another handy tip Ive learned, is to play the game with Riverview, and Edit Town. Then click on any of the community lots and Save to Library. All the rabbitholes are saved this way, and houses/parks too.
  • Options
    haroldcurryharoldcurry Posts: 189
    edited May 2010
    that was very, very helpful, thanyou so much pgeorgina123
  • Options
    Jhlo78572Jhlo78572 Posts: 1
    edited July 2010
    thanx it helped me finally i was frustrated