Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

DCBackup Folder Question for a SimGuru

I realize you guys are up to your 🐸🐸🐸🐸 in WA and patch glitch reports but hope this is a question you can easily answer.

I have seen it not only suggested on other forums that the contents of this folder can be safely deleted but that they should be because the game doesn't reference them in any way. I've seen this said by people whose knowledge I respect. However, I haven't done so because I have a hard time wrapping my head around the company have the game generate a folder for non-essential files.

I just put off thinking about it too hard until I checked the size of the folder this morning. It is currently at 655mb and if that is space that I can regain for use by deleting the .package files inside of it, then it certainly makes sense for me to do so.

Would a SimGuru please let me, as well as others who might also want to know, if it is okay to delete these files? They are nothing I can read and I also got to thinking this morning that if I had to reinstall cc via the launcher again for some reason, wouldn't they just duplicate?

I know you are busy so if the answer is "yes" to okay to delete, feel free to just type the word "yes". If the answer is "no", then a super brief explanation will suffice, i.e. will be needed down the road. TIA for the help.

For anyone reading this thread, please pay special attention that I am asking about the DCBackup folder NOT the DCCache folder. Contents of the DCCcache folder should not be deleted.

Comments

• Options
    DOLLDRMS1DOLLDRMS1 Posts: 2,955 Member
    edited November 2009
    Bump because this had already made its way to page 4 and I'ld really appreciate a response. Thanks!
  • Options
    NichaedemusNichaedemus Posts: 16,905 Member
    edited November 2009
    Hi,

The DCBackup folder is essentially a duplicate backup of the DCCache folder. If the DCCache folder or its contents were to become corrupted somehow, the DCBackup folder and its contents can be used to restore whatever was damaged or lost with the DCCache folder. This is a convenient and certainly quick method of restoring installed content into the game without having to reinstall them via the launcher.

If, however, you do not mind reinstalling your items via the launcher, then by all means delete the contents of the DCBackup folder to recover valuable hard disk space. Note that every time you install an item via the launcher, a backup of the installed content will always be placed in the DCBackup folder, therefore periodic file maintenance will be required on the user's part in that regard.
    When you need help with The Sims 3 or The Sims 4, be sure to check out the Master Help Thread today!
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Thank you for taking the time to respond Nichaedemus. However, your response leaves me with addtional questions.

Contents of the DCBackup folder are in .package format, whereas the contents of the DCCache folder are in either .dbc or .ebc format. Are you saying that DCCache can and would read .package files?

I'll leave it at just that question for the moment. It's been a long day and I have some RL issues to handle at the moment. LOL, warning that I might have another question or two depending on your answer. Thanks again for replying.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Bump again as I don't have an answer to my last question. Not trying to be a pest, just want to make the right decision for my game and computer.

I am not comprehending how the DCBackup files would be used for a quick restore, if DCCache corrupts, since they are in different file formats. If it is easiesr for you to explain by walking me through the steps of using DCBackup files for a quick restoration with a "hypothetical" DCCache corruption, please do so.

Your final comment about the necessity of "periodic file maintenance" of DCBackup files indicates to me that at some point in time some, or all, of these files will need to go to free up hard disk space. Is there a rule of thumb for a recommended file size to do this, or, is it completely dependent on whatever the user's computer specs may be? For example, would/could a sudden increase in game loading time indicate the need to delete some of those DCBackup files?

Thanks again for your time and patience with my questions.
  • Options
    Sgizzle09Sgizzle09 Posts: 4,179 Member
    edited August 2011
    Hi,

The DCBackup folder is essentially a duplicate backup of the DCCache folder. If the DCCache folder or its contents were to become corrupted somehow, the DCBackup folder and its contents can be used to restore whatever was damaged or lost with the DCCache folder. This is a convenient and certainly quick method of restoring installed content into the game without having to reinstall them via the launcher.

If, however, you do not mind reinstalling your items via the launcher, then by all means delete the contents of the DCBackup folder to recover valuable hard disk space. Note that every time you install an item via the launcher, a backup of the installed content will always be placed in the DCBackup folder, therefore periodic file maintenance will be required on the user's part in that regard.

Nichaedemus: I would also like to know how to recover the contents of the DCCache folder using the DCBackup folder? Can you please explain this or link us to something.
  • Options
    Sgizzle09Sgizzle09 Posts: 4,179 Member
    edited August 2011
    bump
  • Options
    MckenzieMemberMckenzieMember Posts: 1,231 Member
    edited November 2011
    bumping this post as I too would like to know if the DCCache folder can read the .package file in the DCBackup folder.
  • Options
    jpreck90jpreck90 Posts: 93
    edited February 2012
    I'm new to this blog stuff:

Hi Crinrict!

[1]
    I have a quick question about DCCbackup files that conflict with the dbdc0.dbc & dbdc1.dbc.

When I download CC that conflicts with dbdc0.dbc or dbdc1.dbc the dashboard always says its the files in the "DCCBackup" folder thats conflicting. Then when I delete the files in the DCCBackup folder and rescan the "Sims 3" folder, the dashboard says that there aren't anymore problems.

I wanted to know if I delete all of the DCCBackup files, rescan with Dashboard, & the dashboard says there aren't anymore conflicting or corrupted files that mess with dbdc0.dbc or dbdc1.dbc, does that mean everything is good? Or does that mean the CC is still bad and I shouldn't even mess with it at all. Because I thought the DCCBackup folder has the copies of the CC that was installed.

[2]
    I downloaded a CC that shows up in the Dashboard as corrupted with the description saying the "package contains another package inside of it" and it also says that it is in the "Library" folder. Are those CC bad, is there anyway to fix those?
  • Options
    MSladyTSOMSladyTSO Posts: 2,586 Member
    edited April 2012
    Sorry to pull this thread up out of the grave, but I'm trying to read about dccache today and the questions asked by DOLLDRMS1 were good ones. I too would like to know the answers. Thanks to Nichaedemus or anyone with the knowledge to expand on this subject.
  • Options
    alicezhousesalicezhouses Posts: 2 New Member
    edited October 2012
    In order use DCBackup files as a recovery method for all your goodies. You would need to add a Mod folder to Your Document EA files. There is a good tutorial and walk through on adding package files. When you use the The Sims 3 launcher you are installing Sims3.Pack which is then converted to a package file when is stored in DCBackup. The package files can go directly into the mod folder and used right away without having to reinstall every downloaded file. See http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:TS3_CC_Basics ... You'll need to first install FrameWorkSetup.zip see http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Installing_Sims_3_Package_Files/Setup_and_Files then cut and paste the DCBackup files into the Mod folder. To find out what all the files and folder are for in EA The Sims 3, Crinrict has a wonderful walk though on what to delete what to save...See http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/01/faq-user-files.html

Hope this helps out. :)