Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Hot Laptop = Slow Gameplay! (can anybody help)

Hi, i love the sims 3 and all of the bad comments about it haven't phased me at all but when i start playing the game i know i will most likely be on there for about 2 hours or more and it will start getting hot at about half an hour and i have my laptop on a hard surface. It makes my game play so slow, is it due to the fact that my laptop is hot? And if so is there anything i can do to help this? I know this post should probably be in a technical forum but i feel that most people go into general discussion. :)

Comments

• Options
    Sim_Master_IbraSim_Master_Ibra Posts: 314 New Member
    edited November 2009
    it's getting hot because of this:
    -you are running many programs and your laptop is overloaded
    -you don't leave space for the cooler to "breath"
    -or your cooler is a little defect
  • Options
    HARRYwasHEREHARRYwasHERE Posts: 3,298 Member
    edited November 2009
    it's getting hot because of this:
    -you are running many programs and your laptop is overloaded
    -you don't leave space for the cooler to "breath"
    -or your cooler is a little defect

yeah but does it make game play slower, I have this problem as well
  • Options
    KarinLKarinL Posts: 3,989 Member
    edited November 2009
    It could also be your videocard overheating. There's a problem with Sims 3 not capping the framerate, so that the vidoecard works three times as hard as it should...

Try fps on cheat to see what the framerate is. It shouldn't be over 60 for any lenght of time (spikes will happen, but it shouldn't stay high)
  • Options
    rockgirl92rockgirl92 Posts: 114 New Member
    edited November 2009
    Everything a laptop does will slow down if it is hot. This is because the fan system is able to cool it down if you put it on a table etc (a serious lack of proper designing).
    Buy a cooling stand, just something to hold it up off the desk. You'll have to get another keyboard and mouse as well or typing becomes very difficult!

This also saves a lot of battery power!