Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Could anyone recomend a good computer?

I bought the sims 3 and it didnt play on my laptop very well. :(:cry: It was always just blanking out and i had to turn my laptop off. I realised that it was because i had only 512mb of ram? Or i'm guessing thats why. So now i am going to buy a new laptop but i am useless with all this type of stuff. Would i be able to get a decent one that is garaunteed to play the sims 3 for about £300-£400. Yes i am that sad to actually buy a new laptop for the game. Haha :roll:

Comments

• Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 916 Member
    edited June 2009
    Laptops are not built for gaming!

If you honestly want to run most games well, you'll need to buy a desktop, then gut it, and put your own parts in. Pre-built computers generally do not run well.
  • Options
    VagabondVagabond Posts: 441 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Computers normaly turn off if they are overheating. I doubt it's the memory on the video card.
  • Options
    LiLMzJenLiLMzJen Posts: 1 New Member
    edited June 2009
    We just bought a quad core desktop off www.ecollegepc.com for $259.00. Its located under value systems. I put sims 3 on it last night and it works great. My other 2 computers were not compatible.
  • Options
    HKMikeShinnizleHKMikeShinnizle Posts: 238 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Icarus wrote:
    Laptops are not built for gaming!

If you honestly want to run most games well, you'll need to buy a desktop, then gut it, and put your own parts in. Pre-built computers generally do not run well.
    Laptops are built for gaming.

My boyfriend has had one for several months now and it is the same if not better than my customized Aurora Alienware desktop, and my desktop is pretty sexy if I say so myself.

Also, ever heard of the guy with 36 WoW accounts? http://tinyurl.com/53qygz He ran 4 accounts on a single laptop. For me I can run 2 WoW accounts smoothly but his purpose was to raid a city by himself and if you've ever done a raid in WoW you'd know how laggy it can get with 1.

I think I've made my point =P
  • Options
    SunfighterSunfighter Posts: 167 New Member
    edited June 2009
    digitalstormonline.com
  • Options
    reallymadreallymad Posts: 33 New Member
    edited June 2009
    If it makes you feel any better I bought a new computer for the sims 3 as well. We had been talking about it for a while but when I bought sim 3 and it wouldnt play on my old computer well.. I bought a desktop though a Compaq Presario. Mine has 3GB memory, 250GB hard drive and a 6150 video card. It runs really well on here
  • Options
    PurrcatPurrcat Posts: 130 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I've had no trouble with the game.. no lagging, the speed function works great, no problems with multiple people on lot, etc.

I don't know what kind of computer you can for that amount of money, but here are my main specs.

Model: Dell XPS420
    Processor: Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
    Memory: 4 Gigabytes RAM
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512mb
    Hard Drive: 320 Gigabyte
  • Options
    JayidaiJayidai Posts: 127 Member
    edited June 2009
    Hi, I have a Toshiba Satellite (Vista run) laptop with duo core 1.74 mHz with only an X200 ATI graphics and The Sims 3 is working fine. Probably the graphics could be better, but they are good enough for me. This computer was approx. $700 a year ago. I did add some RAM to it, which bumped it up to 2 gig RAM. I don't notice any lag or any problems like people commented about in these forums, so if anyone is out there looking for a computer, I think this one is a good price and runs S3 pretty well for the price.
  • Options
    MoolymooPlayerMoolymooPlayer Posts: 269 Member
    edited June 2009
    We purchased a pre-built and then just added onto it-it's from Dell it's an XPS 410 Gamming computer. It holds all of my Sims2 with every expansion, Sims3 and then WOW. It runs beautifully. :)