Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

For Rent - did the patch fix all major bugs?

There was a fix quite a while ago, but I've been out of town and away from my game. Now I want to play with the For Rent features, which I avoided for so long due to the save corruption bug. So, I basically wonder if it is all safe now?

I don't worry about minor bugs, as I mainly want to add units to builds I prepared long ago. I did add units to two builds, but stopped because I read that many simmers experienced a limit of 16 (or was it 19?) to be safe. Should I still avoid adding more than 16 units, or can I add 99 with no risk of corrupting my old save? I never modded the number, btw.
Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg

Comments

• Options
    BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,597 Member
    edited April 11
    As far as I know, the save corrupting bug is still present. (or at least the one from having too many rentals in one save)
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,695 Member
    BlueR0se wrote: »
    As far as I know, the save corrupting bug is still present. (or at least the one from having too many rentals in one save)

Thanks @BlueR0se but what is the limit these days? 99?
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 36,023 Member
    The max is 99 rental units per save.
  • Options
    TheFlyingGentlemanTheFlyingGentleman Posts: 116 Member
    No. Tenant events still happen even with it turned off in settings.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,438 Member
    It didn't fix the power event or whatever they call it were the lights flicker. When this happens you get a lot of lag.
  • Options
    It didn't fix the power event or whatever they call it were the lights flicker. When this happens you get a lot of lag.

Will these events happen if I create 3 rentable units but there is no assigned landlord?

Anyway, I play rotationally and if such bugs occur I can just move on to another household. It's the corruption bug I worry more about, but with less than 99 units and no related mods I take it that I will be pretty safe.
  • Options
    PandoraTOPandoraTO Posts: 451 Member
    edited April 12
    Anyway, I play rotationally and if such bugs occur I can just move on to another household. It's the corruption bug I worry more about, but with less than 99 units and no related mods I take it that I will be pretty safe.

I wouldn’t assume that. Lots of people reporting this issue never had mods and had nowhere near 99 units.

Really, you’d be taking a gamble by installing this pack. My advice is to read the two main bug threads about lot corruption and orange exclamation signs over lots on AHQ before deciding.
    Gallery ID: PandoraTO
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,102 Member
    The rental lot names still revert to whatever they were previously, no matter how many times you re-name them.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,961 Member
    Hi @Simmerville , the 99 unit limit means that that is the maximum rental units you can create without cheats.

People experience the save corrupting bug with way fewer than 99 units. Some people are reporting it's more like 20 units for them, or even less. Some people get it with no residential rentals at all.
  • Options
    Here are the current bugs with For Rent

The big one:
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/NEEDS-SAVES-Orange-Exclamation-signs-over-lots-Houses-disappear/m-p/10533991

The others: for links see here https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/READ-FIRST-Compiled-list-of-reported-Issues/m-p/13277181#M262242

Aspirations

[OPEN] [FR] Can't Complete Buy Shirt at Night Market Goal if Already Bought
    [OPEN] [FR] Maintenance event doesn't tick off

Bills/Money/Royalty

[NEEDS SAVES] [FR] Can't Pay Bills (Tenant)
    [OPEN] [FR] Impossibly High Rent
    [NEEDS SAVES] [FR] Justly evicting and still being fined
    [WORKAROUND] [FR] Low rent max
    [NEEDS SAVES] [FR] Tenants wont pay rent

Categorisation/Filter/Swatch/Description

[OPEN] [FR] 'Do You Be-leaf in Concrete?' Swatch mismatch

Collectibles

[OPEN] [FR] No new marble after 'Playing for keeps'

Console Specific

[OPEN] [FR] Can’t Enter Daily Rent Amount

Food/Drink/Food Stalls

[OPEN] [CL] [FR] Picking up a serving of veggie chili turn serving into 8 serving
    [OPEN] [FR] Pressure cooker food made by sims with the fresh chef trait spoils

Misc Inventories

[OPEN] Items in Fridge, Bookshelf & Toybox Disappear on R-Residential

Moodlets

[OPEN] [FR] Constantly dirty surroundings moodlet from Pressure Cooker and Kettle

Objects: General

[OPEN] Residential Rental: Tenants can't send items on Plopsy/Trendi

Presser Cooker/Heater/Kettle

[OPEN] Kettle and Pressure Cooker randomly Disappearing from Lot/HH inventory
    [OPEN] No option to instant upgrade kettles and pressure cookers with Handy trait

Property Manager

[NEEDS SAVES] Landlord still owns property/Tenants still present after death
    [OPEN] Property ownership not recognized in owned rental tab
    [NEEDS SAVES] Rental units duplicated in Owned Business tab

Rental Event

[WORKAROUND] Electrical Failure: Broken Pressure cooker prevents event from completing
    [OPEN] Explosive Malfunction can't be resolved as nothing can be replaced
    [OPEN] Objects randomly catch on fire after solved cursed book event
    [OPEN] Pet/Charity Drive excessively long
    [OPEN] Rental Protest unsolveable
    [OPEN] Tenant Revolts still happen when Rental Unit Events are disabled

Residential Rental

[OPEN] Doors in App./Dorms stay visible on lowering walls
    Patch notes say this is fixed -> [OPEN] Households funds stay same when transferring money
    [OPEN] Landlord - Unable to Build/Edit owned lot
    [OPEN] Residential Rental Lot Name Keeps Reverting to Default Lot Name
    [OPEN] Sims on Residential Rental Lots Entering Each others homes
    [NEEDS SAVES] Tenant Vacated but still cant re-rent, edit, or change lot type
  • Options
    Thanks! @mightysprite I'm reading those linked threads, they go so long back, and there is so much various info. I'd love to know if each of those posting did try to revert a RR lot to plain R, if they added lots from the gallery, if they used unit related cheats, if they run out of hard drive space, and so on. One should think they got at least one behavior in common.

I installed For Rent on release and did create and play a couple RR lots too, but stopped while my save had about 14 units including those coming with the pack. I had no problems yet, and I never installed RR lots from the gallery, never cheated unit limits, and never changed lot categories involving RR. I have built a few rental units intended for this pack, but never assigned those units. Because I play rotationally I prefer my sims paying rent manually, so maybe I'll just play multiple households per lot by locking doors. It gets stressful only when the household(s) get big.
  • Options
    edited April 17
    @Simmerville it's no problem, I'm kind of obsessive about bugs, especially bugs in packs I want to buy if the bugs are ever fixed :)

For the exclamation points/disappearing lots/corrupted saves bug, players and modders did a lot of testing and posting their results in that thread. It is super long but there's a lot of good info.

To sum up as best I can, there is no one single thing that causes the bug to happen. But the bug is more likely to happen in games that either have For Rent installed, or any of a variety of play choices that place a ton of objects in build mode. Including: mods that add objects off-lot, mods that add extra lots or extra worlds, packing every lot with large detailed builds, using builds from the gallery that are packed with tons of objects, using starter save files found online that have lots of complex builds to start with, placing a bunch of residential rentals.
    Because mods that contribute to the overall amount of objects in the game have a big impact on this bug, EA is blaming mods for now, but it is obvious that there are other causes too-- especially because a few Xbox players have had the bug as well, and they can't possibly have been using mods.
    My best guess as to why For Rent is the trigger so often, is that residential rentals might create many pseudo-lots for the different units. Like one lot with 4 apartments might be stored by the game as 4 separate lots, all with copies of all their objects in, requiring 4 times the resources.

The bug does tend to start in one world and then spread gradually to others. For most people it's Willow Creek, which is easy to check from time to time. But for an unlucky few it has been hidden lots or career lots that a person could go a long time without visiting, and thus wouldn't realize there was a problem for a long time.

• Options
    Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 892 Member
    It's very weird, that particular bug goes back to June of 2021, for rent seems to have made it worse, but it has been in the game a long time. Doesn't give one hope it will be fixed.
  • Options
    edited April 18
    Sara1010P wrote: »
    It's very weird, that particular bug goes back to June of 2021, for rent seems to have made it worse, but it has been in the game a long time. Doesn't give one hope it will be fixed.

I've read a 40 pages long thread over at the QA forum, and it seems the problem has to do with memory within the game, regardless of For Rent. Ppl getting the corruption solves it by deleting sims and/or lots. My 9 years old save with 800 (?) sims and households in all possible worlds should meet that memory limit soon , but I also got the impression that the limit might vary depending on system played on. I still have more than 100 GB free space on my drive, so hopefully I can play a bit longer. I read that For Rent is not causing the corruption if it runs only with base game (and well, a few packs), but the more content installed, and the more lots, the more likely it is to run into corruption trouble.

I must expect to face this myself at any time as I have filled nearly all lots in all worlds. Thankfully I did only add about 16 rental units, as units seem to count as individual lots. I will need to implements some sort of birth control to try to reduce my population. Not sure if deleting NPC sims will be possible, or if the game will simply create new. Deleting content from my Library might be the first stem - not sure if it will help - those sims might not be seen as households...
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,460 Member
    edited April 18
    @Simmerville it's no problem, I'm kind of obsessive about bugs, especially bugs in packs I want to buy if the bugs are ever fixed :)

For the exclamation points/disappearing lots/corrupted saves bug, players and modders did a lot of testing and posting their results in that thread. It is super long but there's a lot of good info.

To sum up as best I can, there is no one single thing that causes the bug to happen. But the bug is more likely to happen in games that either have For Rent installed, or any of a variety of play choices that place a ton of objects in build mode. Including: mods that add objects off-lot, mods that add extra lots or extra worlds, packing every lot with large detailed builds, using builds from the gallery that are packed with tons of objects, using starter save files found online that have lots of complex builds to start with, placing a bunch of residential rentals.
    Because mods that contribute to the overall amount of objects in the game have a big impact on this bug, EA is blaming mods for now, but it is obvious that there are other causes too-- especially because a few Xbox players have had the bug as well, and they can't possibly have been using mods.
    My best guess as to why For Rent is the trigger so often, is that residential rentals might create many pseudo-lots for the different units. Like one lot with 4 apartments might be stored by the game as 4 separate lots, all with copies of all their objects in, requiring 4 times the resources.

The bug does tend to start in one world and then spread gradually to others. For most people it's Willow Creek, which is easy to check from time to time. But for an unlucky few it has been hidden lots or career lots that a person could go a long time without visiting, and thus wouldn't realize there was a problem for a long time.

Thank you for the summary. It helps to understand the issue. I don't have the pack yet but if it ever gets to a 50% sale I might consider it. It is scary to read it's not exclusive to for rent. I think I will go and delete a bunch of townies and lots I never play anyway.
  • Options
    Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 892 Member
    Sara1010P wrote: »

I've read a 40 pages long thread over at the QA forum, and it seems the problem has to do with memory within the game, regardless of For Rent. Ppl getting the corruption solves it by deleting sims and/or lots. My 9 years old save with 800 (?) sims and households in all possible worlds should meet that memory limit soon , but I also got the impression that the limit might vary depending on system played on. I still have more than 100 GB free space on my drive, so hopefully I can play a bit longer. I read that For Rent is not causing the corruption if it runs only with base game (and well, a few packs), but the more content installed, and the more lots, the more likely it is to run into corruption trouble.

I must expect to face this myself at any time as I have filled nearly all lots in all worlds. Thankfully I did only add about 16 rental units, as units seem to count as individual lots. I will need to implements some sort of birth control to try to reduce my population. Not sure if deleting NPC sims will be possible, or if the game will simply create new. Deleting content from my Library might be the first stem - not sure if it will help - those sims might not be seen as households...

Well, that may explain why I have not seen this bug in all this time, I don't have near that many lots or Sims in my game, I have added more than I normally do since getting for rent, I will have to keep an eye out and just be careful. Thanks for summing that thread up like that, I did skim over quite a bit of it. Makes you wonder though, if it really is a memory issue within the game, how much more DLC are we going to be able to add to Sims 4.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,996 Member
    Great thread….
  • Options
    I have been playing lately, and I have been experiencing a new problem, I think I read somewhere that others have had it too. I started a new game ( only one family ). And I downloaded a couple of lots in this brand new save ( not a save as ). I’m not sure it is dealing particularly with rentals. I was having a similar problem with a big castle I downloaded and a residential rental property I downloaded. That both used MOO and possibly hidden objects, but no CC.

With the big castle I downloaded it had a big moat I wanted to get rid of ( it was a 64 by 64 lot ). i deleted the moat and all the plants in it. And changed a few things inside. When I tried to go back to the world view, my loading screen would not end, and it did not even say that my program was not responding. I tried to X it out, but my computer would not respond for me to close the sims program like it normally does. I had to minimize the sims and turn the power off with my sims and EA app open ( this is the first time I have ever had to do this ).

A couple of days later I downloaded a 20x20 lot, same new save. This time a Residential Rental ( by someone that was awell established builder ). Again the lot had MO, and possible some hidden objects, but no CC. The game would not let me download it because the lot I tried to download it onto was a Residential lot instead of a residential rental, and the lot itself was set to Residential. So, I changed the lot to a Residential Rental and then was able to download the lot I wanted onto the lot in the game. I ended up changing it back to a Residential, so that I could make changes to it. Again when I tried to get out of this lot ( after making some changes ) by going back to manage worlds, my sims program would not stop loading into manage worlds. Again, I could not close the sims out normally, or X the sims program out. I had to minimize it, and then shut down my computer out with the sims and EA program running.

This time I got back in made some changes and got back in. I again downloaded the same residential rental in another lot in another world, tried to make some changed and this time saved the lot. I had the same problem getting back to manage worlds I went back to shutting down the computer. Started my computer again and went back into the lot. This time I was able to get out of the lot normally.

I couldn’t find this problem in EA’s AHQ, and I wasn’t sure I had researched the thread well enough, That site is a bit confusing to me. I can’t say for sure whether this was from For Rent, or from the new patches or what, but this is a big problem.
  • Options
    Hi @SheriSim57
    From your description it sounds an awful lot like this
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/FIXED-FR-Stuck-on-Residential-Rental-Lot-type/m-p/13291850
    Which was supposed to be fixed in the most recent bugfix patch.

If your game is fully updated, perhaps it could be this? which is still an open issue
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/OPEN-Endless-Loading-Crashing-when-trying-to-load-a-certain-lot/m-p/13326793
  • Options
    edited April 28
    Yes. I think it is that second one, or at least closer to the second one, as the castle lot was a Plain Residential.. I don’t use CC or mods either, so I will have to go me too that one
    Thank you for the Link.

When I read the thread I realized it was loading into a lot. Mine was loading out of a lot, but I left a note.

And yes I’m fully updated.
    Post edited by SheriSim57 on
  • Options
    mrs_starkeymrs_starkey Posts: 173 Member
    edited April 28
    @SheriSim57 You also may want to look at this Bug Report: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/Gallery-full-of-potentially-gamebreaking-builds-since-For-Rent/m-p/13662194#M276694

Even if the lot is not a Residential Rental, there is a good chance that the lot was build on a previously bugged and bulldozed Residential Rental. You never know if the builder used a fresh save for the build or not. If you think about it every shared build on the gallery since For Rent could be a potentially corrupted build, no matter the lot type. Although the Sims Team fixed the Stuck on Residential Bug, they never said if already bugged and shared lots on the gallery are being retroactively fixed if being placed in your game. This is very alarming to me.
  • Options
    @SheriSim57 You also may want to look at this Bug Report: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/Gallery-full-of-potentially-gamebreaking-builds-since-For-Rent/m-p/13662194#M276694

Even if the lot is not a Residential Rental, there is a good chance that the lot was build on a previously bugged and bulldozed Residential Rental. You never know if the builder used a fresh save for the build or not. If you think about it every shared build on the gallery since For Rent could be a potentially corrupted build, no matter the lot type. Although the Sims Team fixed the Stuck on Residential Bug, they never said if already bugged and shared lots on the gallery are being retroactively fixed if being placed in your game. This is very alarming to me.

Yes, me too. Luckily the two lots I downloaded were in a new ”other builds” save . So I guess I will try placing them in another lot when in that save when I am done changing them to my liking and see if they still have problems before I place them in my main save. These kind of bugs make me not want to play my sims game.
  • Options
    ScrapdashScrapdash Posts: 1,237 Member
    Interesting thread.
    I've run into endless problems with my save lately and do not own For Rent.
    My game is fully patched and things took a turn for the worse after the last patch, April.
    Basically my save became unplayable, sims just standing around frozen in place, commands dropping. Loading times had increased. It began in one world but then spread out to others.

Now my game isn't modded so it can't be that. But I am guilty of downloading lots from the gallery and immediately before the trouble started I'd placed some new restaurants and nightclubs and several cafes. I did wonder if one of them had mucked up my game but was confused as to how that could happen.

I'm going to start a new save which is awful, years of play down the drain, but testing a fresh save last night the gameplay was normal again.
  • Options
    Scrapdash wrote: »
    Interesting thread.
    I've run into endless problems with my save lately and do not own For Rent.
    My game is fully patched and things took a turn for the worse after the last patch, April.
    Basically my save became unplayable, sims just standing around frozen in place, commands dropping. Loading times had increased. It began in one world but then spread out to others.

Now my game isn't modded so it can't be that. But I am guilty of downloading lots from the gallery and immediately before the trouble started I'd placed some new restaurants and nightclubs and several cafes. I did wonder if one of them had mucked up my game but was confused as to how that could happen.

I'm going to start a new save which is awful, years of play down the drain, but testing a fresh save last night the gameplay was normal again.

Sorry for your trouble. Did you try deleting those lots from the gallery? These days I'm pretty glad I never dl'ed anything from there...
  • Options
    ScrapdashScrapdash Posts: 1,237 Member
    @Simmerville I'll have to try deleting all the lots, my suspicions were heightened when I saw this thread.
    Perhaps it's a memory issue, that save is around 4 years old now and I suppose with time it just becomes too many families, lots that are perhaps too packed.
    I'm torn between ripping everything out and just keeping my basic builds or transferring favourite sims to the entirely new game.
    Will experiment a bit more this evening and see what happens.