Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Tomarang World Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    LeucosiaXLeucosiaX Posts: 1,707 Member
    https://youtu.be/jC5LMvMNxpQ?si=D2Sd7cc6zJORZpT7

There are some beautiful video gifs SimGuru Ninja posted on X regarding the world of Tomarang on Thanksgiving.
    Only finding out about it now, as Iron Seagul made a short video about it.

https://x.com/SimGuruNinja/status/1727748682454602189?s=20
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,444 Member
    LeucosiaX wrote: »
    53359428984_b4b433e112_k.jpgworld by leucosia x, on Flickr

yes if this leak is correct, https://twitter.com/SimGuruAnon. all of the lots are too small for what I was intending to make.

I am not seeing the botanical gardens or the animal sanctuary, so they are definitely not lots, which is a bummer. But the icon of the second neighbourhood shows a tiger so maybe the sanctuary is indeed for tigers. I have a feeling these will be neighbourhood space locations similar to the temple in Mt. Komorebi and the gardens in San Sequoia, you can walk around them but there aren't many interactions or things to do there. I was hoping to see real tigers our sims can interact with, maybe even a tiger lot challenge where a tiger randomly shows up and scares our sims.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,696 Member
    edited November 2023
    Uhm, I agree there could have been at least ONE larger lot in Tomarang. But I'm generally fine with the smaller lots. I'm planning to have just one rich family residing there, so the 40x30 is taken already, and generally I made up a local culture where ppl focus on their spiritual life rather than materialistic. Well, the majority that is - because the Mansion Baron aspiration also exists in Tomarang... ;)

But, you guys seem to forget that we already got tons of other worlds where you will find many large lots. Rental units will work just as well outside Tomarang, so just because this world comes with this new feature, doesn't mean that all new content must be played out in Tomarang, only. I'll keep the spiritual/tourist/very Asian stuff in this world, while landlords will be more common in say Del Sol Valley and Copperdale. Why not...

Thanks for posting the map with lot details, now my planning can speed up!
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    Coconut27Coconut27 Posts: 860 Member
    edited November 2023
    yes i am well aware of the other worlds haha. i’ve been building up a save with lots from the gallery for this pack specifically, but if they are going to center a pack around this lot type, it’s be nice to get more space in the world the pack comes with, especially because it’s based around a specific culture and climate. the builds i would have in Tomorang are extremely different aesthetically that the ones in, let’s say, willow creek. so that’s the fault i see with the lots sizes.
  • Options
    lori171957lori171957 Posts: 233 Member
    edited November 2023
    Well dang. If the largest lot is 40x30 then neither of the apartment buildings @FatTribble23 and @lori171957 built will fit in the new world. 😟 I was sure we'd get a 64x64. I'm going to try to recreate one of them to fit the 40x30. Or maybe look for a three floor build that will accommodate two apartments on both the 2nd and 3rd floors with common areas on the 1st floor.

I can make it to suit a smaller block, and I have been building on blocks as small as 15 x 20. I will be uploading them all as soon as the pack releases and I can see how the individual unit settings work. I will work on it in the morning when I get up. Strangely enough it is easy to make them on small blocks. 😃

• Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 36,033 Member
    @lori171957 That would be wonderful. Thanks so much. 🙂
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,461 Member

yes if this leak is correct, https://twitter.com/SimGuruAnon. all of the lots are too small for what I was intending to make.

Thanks for providing a picture. I had not yet seen a map with lot sizes. I don't really understand the choice to only give small and a few medium lots. I am currently creating 4 apartments on a 20x30 lot and it is a struggle to get everything to fit. I don't mind having a few small lots but there should be some large ones as well. I was expecting at least one big lot, size 40x50 or bigger. Perhaps this is the reason for a mini trailer with apartments in other worlds. They already knew we can't build big apartments in this world.
  • Options
    FreddyFox1234FreddyFox1234 Posts: 529 Member
    It’s nice to see the map with the lot sizes and the actual lots on them. I’m really hoping that as there are only 9 lots in the pack, it’ll come with the other apartments they showed for different worlds in our libraries. Lots of previous packs have come with additional lots in our libraries, and it really makes sense to do it here, given that part of the point of this pack is that we can build apartments in any world.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 9,027 Member
    edited November 2023
    I recently built japanese castle on 20x20 on top of Mt.Komorebi so :joy:
    I don't think fitting apartment on 20x20 is gonna pose much problems for me

also I just feel like building/playing duplex or townhouses on small lots
    is gonna be so much easier than trying to navigate big lots
    and there is still that 40x30 and 30x30 for the 9 units size apartments if one so wishes
    could easily also fit one for 30x20 really
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    PandoraTOPandoraTO Posts: 455 Member
    How sure even are we about the accuracy of this map, and especially the lot sizes?
    Gallery ID: PandoraTO
  • Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,888 Member
    edited November 2023
    This is ridiculous !! I’m sorry but how are you supposed to build an apartment complex on a 20x15 lot ?? You can’t even build a family home with a backyard on it, they’re the worst lots, they’re only ok for small community lots and tiny houses. Are you kidding me ?!

We should not have had anything under 30x20 for this EP.

• Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,696 Member
    edited November 2023
    I think the smaller lots are intended for community lots OR rental units for poor families who would never dream of moving to a lot bigger lot than 20x20. I really look forward to build complexes with tiny units. My Duchess will not move in there, but I have plenty of young families who did not yet save up (or inherit) much... Bunk beds, here we go :)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,888 Member
    I think some sizes might be inaccurate though, for instance the park (I'm guessing that's the botanical gardens ?) says 30x30 but it's a rectangle, same with one of the 20x20 lots...
    Dianesims wrote: »
    This is ridiculous !! I’m sorry but how are you supposed to build an apartment complex on a 20x15 lot ?? You can’t even build a family home with a backyard on it, they’re the worst lots, they’re only ok for small community lots and tiny houses. Are you kidding me ?!

• Options
    BonxieBonxie Posts: 5,697 Member
    edited November 2023
    Looks like a sequel of the previous world releases.

To me as a builder lot size is important. You can build small houses on big lots and if there is too much free space left, you can build an additional garden, playground, park, barn, or a car wash, convenience store, you name it just for decoration. On small lots you're forced to build small.

Looking at that map probably the most frustrating thing will be that a lot of available space will be wasted by shells (in this case especially in the city centre), just like San Sequoia or Copperdale. Wouldn't have hurt to have empty lots instead of shells, because all the shells are in debug/live edit and if you don't like the empty lots but also don't want to build, just place some trees and a shell and the lot is done.

Regarding a 20x15 lot it is in reality a 18x13 because you can't build on the outer tiles. And on that small area you have to stack the appartements and therefore you need a staircase which takes at least 2x6, 3x3 (for a spiral stair with the advanced stair options) of 2x6 (for elevators). With that something like 18x11 is left for living space and only if you will do it without common rooms, front yard, garden, porch, or any other form of landscaping (given that your tenants don't want to live in the basement 😄).
    Bonxie: Great Skua, stercorarius skua. Meet me on Fair Isle.
  • Options
    edited November 2023

I do have to agree. And I don't enjoy seeing so many people say "you can build in other worlds though" but thats not that point, what if i want to use this one?? The pack is $40 and its a brand new world with some awesome cultural elements with a different climate than most worlds. Of course I want this world to be usable for my sims to live in, not just vacay! I like to make all diff kinds of sims, and this could add fresh new gameplay for me. I use alot of community lots in my saves and if my sims live here, that will take up most of the lots, so i'd want to be able to create apartments that hold alot of households, to save some space. But that will be hard if I only have one 40x30 and two 30x20s to use for that. Especially because I don't want to make tall 5 story builds in this world since its so small, it would feel out of place. Everyone has different play styles, but I know some like to do realism like i do, and that means my sims wont leave tomarang unless they plan a vacation to another one of the worlds. So it's crucial to have space in the world they reside in. It's just an odd choice that out of all of the worlds the packs have gotten, its the pack that offers multi-family units with shared community spaces that they give us the least amount and smallest sized lots in the world it comes with.
  • Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 9,002 Member
    I think some sizes might be inaccurate though, for instance the park (I'm guessing that's the botanical gardens ?) says 30x30 but it's a rectangle, same with one of the 20x20 lots...

There's a history of that right from the very beginning. The Willow Creek map has at least two lots that look square but aren't when you get into build mode. You can make a case that there are three lots that look square on the map but aren't really. Potters Splay looks perfectly square on the map but it isn't once you're in build mode, or live mode even. Streamlet Single and Crick Cabana are both 20x15, but on the map Streamlet looks like it's a 20x20. Brook Bungalow is the one you can make a case for being the third one. The trees at the back of the lot in map mode may create an optical illusion that makes it look square. To my eyes that lot looks square.

I'm sure there are loads of other examples where the lot on a world map doesn't necessarily match the actual lot in game. We either have to wait for YouTubers, Gurus, or getting our hands on it to actually know what we have to work with.

I would prefer the game to heavily feature 30x20 or even 30x30 lots, but finally having the ability to turn any lot, anywhere into a multifamily lot will be a total game changer. We all adapt our build styles to what we're familiar with so for now trying to build an apartment on a smaller 20x15 or 20x20 lot may feel difficult or impossible. If you're a family gameplay simmer it will be more difficult to use those small lots, but they open up a wealth of opportunities for making apartment complexes that cater to single sims or young couples. It's such a waste of precious space right now to have even one small lot entirely devoted to one sim if you have a save with a large number of characters in it. I find it difficult to find a home for every sim who may play a role in one of my stories. I hate having them be 'homeless' and this will go miles towards fixing that.

• Options
    ScrapdashScrapdash Posts: 1,237 Member
    I really don't understand these tiny lots. I wanted some apartments centred around a pool, perhaps a communal garden or basketball court. Certainly they can be made in other worlds, but you'd think they'd fit in this EP.
    Also that top right hand corner. So much painted in backdrop, why no useable lot in that section?
  • Options
    yeah, same. @Scrapdash
  • Options
    maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    I too am disappointed with the smaller lots, with both the last pack and now this one. I expected a pack based on horse ranches to have had more of the larger lots than just 2. With a house, barn, animal sheds and the need for room for horses to train, plus gardens and an area for grazing, only having 2 larger lots was disappointing. I learned to squeeze the main areas I needed on the smaller lots, but it doesn't leave much of a yard left. Looks like it will be the same with For Rent. I am still working on my townhouses and needed to move them to a 20x40 lot in order to fit 4 homes and allow a little bit of room for a play/picnic area. May have to go to 30x40. Like @DaniRose2143, I do love the idea that we will be able build apartments in any world. I guess my duplexes and rowhouses will need to be in other worlds. I wasn't planning to have all apartments in this new world so will use the small lots for community lots or single houses. The 30x30 lot is probably the botanical garden as it has a tree symbol. I am thinking the animal sanctuary is most likely a rabbit hole. It would be great if the update or pack includes spiral stairs that take up less space than the stairs we need to use now. I find I need to adjust my builds to fit the stairs, usually making it bigger than I wanted. We can only wait and see with fingers crossed that it will be a good pack. Although disappointed with the lots in Horse Ranch, I do not regret buying it because the gameplay does make up for it. I really enjoy it! Hopefully that will hold true for For Rent. I am looking forward to the pack and all that I saw in the trailers.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,444 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »

I am not seeing the botanical gardens or the animal sanctuary, so they are definitely not lots, which is a bummer. But the icon of the second neighbourhood shows a tiger so maybe the sanctuary is indeed for tigers. I have a feeling these will be neighbourhood space locations similar to the temple in Mt. Komorebi and the gardens in San Sequoia, you can walk around them but there aren't many interactions or things to do there. I was hoping to see real tigers our sims can interact with, maybe even a tiger lot challenge where a tiger randomly shows up and scares our sims.

The garden is the lot with the tree icon above it.
  • Options
    [quote="maggiemae8135;c-18330239" It would be great if the update or pack includes spiral stairs that take up less space than the stairs we need to use now. I find I need to adjust my builds to fit the stairs, usually making it bigger than I wanted. We can only wait and see with fingers crossed that it will be a good pack. Although disappointed with the lots in Horse Ranch, I do not regret buying it because the gameplay does make up for it. I really enjoy it! Hopefully that will hold true for For Rent. I am looking forward to the pack and all that I saw in the trailers.[/quote]

oh that is a great point. spiral stairs could save space and would go great with this pack, especially in a base game update!
  • Options
    My assumption with the botanical garden is it may act like a world-specific special lot. Much like the chateau estate or the island bluffs from get together.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,444 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »

The garden is the lot with the tree icon above it.

You mean the park? I suppose it could be but why call it a botanical garden if the lot type is park? Is it different from park or national park? They made it seem like a feature and parks aren't new. I am more inclined to believe that the botanical garden is the rabbit hole building at the top pf the map with the green pavilion that was showed when they first announced the EP.

5D7uZ7d1-kIO2uKS.jpg
  • Options
    lori171957lori171957 Posts: 233 Member
    edited November 2023
    @lori171957 That would be wonderful. Thanks so much. 🙂
    The original building was obviously made for a large block, it looses the fantastic sprawling look when you make it smaller.
    Best I can come up with is adding an extra floor, but you loose the original layout completely. You will have to save the original for a different world.
    I have uploaded Sims1010 Reno {30 x 40} to the gallery.

@simgirl1010 I have also uploaded Modern units 1010 to show you how much you can fit onto small lots.
    I am sure once the pack is released better builders than I am, will flood the gallery with units to download.
    Post edited by lori171957 on