Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

For Rent Positive Thoughts Thread

Comments

• Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    I'm happy that we're finally getting the TS4 equivalent of buildable apartments, and very much looking forward to it!

Many people are negatively comparing this pack to City Living, calling it a refresh disguised as an EP. While I can see where this sentiment is coming from, I don't agree with it. City Living was never about apartments, it was about San Myshuno and the things you could do there, including living in the prebuilt apartment blocks. It's my least favourite EP because it does nothing for my sims who don't live in its world. A proper EP should, in my opinion, provide content that can affect sims' lives no matter where they live (such as seasons and weather, ecosystems, fame, etc.), and For Rent does just that.

I'm already thinking about placing residential rentals in San Sequoia and Sulani, but I think the worlds that will benefit from them the most are the smaller ones like Magnolia Promenade, StrangerVille, etc. Gone are the days of worrying about the number of available lots in a world vs. the number of households I want to put there, now that I can just put several in one big lot and fill the rest of the world with public spaces. The possibilities may not be endless, and I still hope that we'll get multi-purpose public lots one day, but this is definitely a big step in the right direction.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,468 Member

Annnnd there's Ninja swooping in with the bomb diggity of my exact need. Very tricksy! I just love a good game cheat.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,972 Member
    edited November 2023
    Deleted: Blog previously posted.
  • Options
    bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 552 Member
    The only thing I wish I knew for sure was some more details about costs. When I normally build a lot, I keep in mind the budget my family will have and keep an eye on the lot value. It's harder to try and build residential rentals right now without knowing how rental costs, etc will work.
  • Options
    RamblineRoseRamblineRose Posts: 814 Member
    @GrumpyGlowfish well said. I love your insight about this pack and when people try to compare it being a City Living refresh. And the idea of having multi-purposed public lots that would be so awesome too. I don't remember if someone has started a thread about posting their builds if so please let me know. Thanks.
  • Options
    LSM36LSM36 Posts: 593 Member

OMG :open_mouth:
    Wait wait, but even with the cheat activated, does this mean all those 8-Sims householdsโ€ฆ.wait why does there need to be a cheat for itโ€ฆohโ€ฆwell I guess things will somehow make sense later on :lol:

I expect this pack to be hard on lower end machines. Ever since the beginning of the sims 4 the team has been trying to keep requirements low, even deleting sims through culling. With 6 units of 8 sims and possibly neighbourhood stories actually filling all units, there are going to be a lot of sims. I expect the cheat is meant so players know they are going beyond the recommended number at their own risk. Just an educated guess.

Honestly I have been half and half on this pack. It's interesting in some parts, but I was disappointed in other points, I mentioned in the other thread. And I was like if I end up buying it won't be preorder but probably still while the bonus is up. Bc it does include features I wanted for awhile, it just also continues issues I've had with the franchise for awhile.

But I am getting a bit swept up in the excitement. 6 units is a big deal. I can understand maybe wanting more. But I also know I couldn't manage more, especially since I'm really not a good builder. So I wouldn't use the cheat. But I'm glad it's there for people who can.

It does make me wonder if the limit for the amount of sims you can have in a save will go up? Or is that just the limit for ones you're actively controlling in "your households"?

On the computer requirements note, this has made me think about how I'm definitely going to have to add that 2nd TB to my laptop. And also consider doing that thing where you have all your mods and/or game entirely located on a separate harddrive just for the Sims 4. Even with a high-end gaming laptop this game asks a lot. I really think you need like a desktop that's spec-ed out to keep up with it now.
    Check out my posts in the Ideas corner, and see the Simsverse living inside my head. :blush:
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    @GrumpyGlowfish well said. I love your insight about this pack and when people try to compare it being a City Living refresh. And the idea of having multi-purposed public lots that would be so awesome too. I don't remember if someone has started a thread about posting their builds if so please let me know. Thanks.
    Here you go: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/1011619/for-rent-residential-rental-preparation-thread :)
  • Options
    RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    Not usually a pre-builder but thought I'd try this out just a small two unit with a little landlord's office and I was just happy with how it turned out, not sure if this will work exactly as it but I can always fix it. I think I'd put bicycles or something in that free space in the front.
    1ZgH46eh.png
    x8L1zjmh.png
    h14t2Hbh.png
    DVHp0T5h.png
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    @RedDestiny92 very nice. I quite like the idea of a rental office/reception area. And I also prefer the one story units.
  • Options
    LSM36LSM36 Posts: 593 Member
    I'm excited that tiny homes, stationary ones, will probably work with a bunch on a large lot since trailer parks work. So you could build a tiny house community. But that's only if the lot traits for individual units include things like tiny house residential. Like if we get it as a trait not just a lot type.

Like idk how cross pack would handle that, but a tiny house village would be really cute.
    Check out my posts in the Ideas corner, and see the Simsverse living inside my head. :blush:
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,357 Member
    LSM36 wrote: ยป
    I'm excited that tiny homes, stationary ones, will probably work with a bunch on a large lot since trailer parks work. So you could build a tiny house community. But that's only if the lot traits for individual units include things like tiny house residential. Like if we get it as a trait not just a lot type.

Like idk how cross pack would handle that, but a tiny house village would be really cute.

I mean, you wouldn't get the benefits of a tiny house, or have the game count the tiles for you, but there's nothing preventing you from doing the build of several tiny houses on a single lot even if the tiny home features don't cross over.
  • Options
    Coconut27Coconut27 Posts: 860 Member
    I totally want a 6-unit apartment building with a shared laundry room and a communal gym space! The possibilities seem really cool. Maybe even a communal games room (sims team please make an arcade pack tysm) Hope it all works as intended! lol
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,480 Member

Now that I've FINALLY caught up on the latest news I can say that I'm positively overwhelmed. OVERWHELMED!
    I don't know where to start now. So many ideas! YELP!

You know what, I never asked for an apartment system. I don't know why not, since it would be sort of a builder's dream to be able to build functional apartments /rental units. I think it's because I always associated it with modern city apartments, which I was never really all that interested in. But this...this is different...this now.....oh wow...

*rubs hands*

THE TENANTS ARE JUST GOIN' TO LURV ME!!๐Ÿ˜ญ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ
  • Options
    Monet11Monet11 Posts: 1,422 Member
    I am loving everything so far, except the mold, but the blog states that is a challenge so I won't ever have to see it. Yay! I am thinking about all the sims I will be able to squish into Del Sol now. Maybe I will make an old actors rest home and squish all the Get Famous sims I don't like into one little apartment building, with 1 communal bathroom.

Oh, now... that actually sounds like a good idea. I think I will go and build it. :D
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,539 Member
    edited November 2023
    Now that I've FINALLY caught up on the latest news I can say that I'm positively overwhelmed. OVERWHELMED!
    I don't know where to start now. So many ideas! YELP!

You know what, I never asked for an apartment system. I don't know why not, since it would be sort of a builder's dream to be able to build functional apartments /rental units. I think it's because I always associated it with modern city apartments, which I was never really all that interested in. But this...this is different...this now.....oh wow...

*rubs hands*

THE TENANTS ARE JUST GOIN' TO LURV ME!!๐Ÿ˜ญ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ

I am feeling overwhelmed too. I am up to idea #7 now.
    Three of them are started. #7 is a conversion of the custom University dorm I placed on top of Drake Hall.
    There is a residential lot it can be placed on in Britechester campus. I plan to divide it up into 8 apartments with the cheat code.

I usually send three students at a time through uni, but this building will be when I play a game focused on one sim from cradle to grave.
    I hardly ever play that way. I usually play many sims in rotation. The university apartment will be for the final year in Uni. Usually I have made many custom dormies makeovers because they usually disappear during my breaks and switching dorms. So I will gather all my favorite dormies my sim has met over the terms and put them all in the same building for the final year.

11-11-23_8-49-39_AM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

It's currently set up as dorm, so I will have to go in and gut the rooms on the perimeter and divide them up into apartments.
    The communal areas in the center will be perfect for when sims come out of their apartments. I am keeping that big TV screen for movie nights.
    11-11-23_8-52-32_AM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Finally, my uni students will have their own kitchens. :)
    Post edited by CK213 on
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,539 Member
    edited November 2023
    Ooh, another thought! :)
    Yet again Get Together will flex when you use it to gather all the sims of interest from the building in a club or group.
    Gather them together for whatever activity you want to do.

[Another random thought] :o
    Outfit each apartment with a unique and useful object. That way there will be reasons to visit other sims.
    They have stuff your sim does not have.

[And another random thought] :D
    Having trouble with interior designing apartments because of too many choices?
    Give each apartment a pack theme! Tiny Living for this one, Eco Lifestyle for that one, Jungle Adventure for the other one.
    You can even give the apartment to a sim that matches it, or create a sim to match it.
    Post edited by CK213 on
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member

I actually think it's a pressure cooker. A little different from a slow or rice cooker. It will be interesting to see what the item description says. ๐Ÿ‘€
    Here's my comment from a few days ago:
    I've seen a lot of people mention the rice cooker but upon closer look, I think it's a pressure cooker. Yes, you can totally make rice in a pressure cooker. The reason I mention this is because around the timestamp @ 0:52 you see the sim release steam from a valve much like a pressure cooker.
    Such a silly thing to bring up. I just thought it was interesting since I have a unhealthy collection of small kitchen appliances in RL. :D My instant pot kicked the bucket but it looked a lot like the trailer when I did use it. My rice cooker doesn't work like a pressure cooker. I do use that often. Not can expert or anything. Curious what others think who know a thing or two about kitchen stuff.
    i7-13700K โ€ข 16GB โ€ข RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    @simgirl1010 thanks, I don't know how much things will cost but I thought maybe this would be my cheap spot...that wasn't Johnny's trailer like area heh. May need more communal spots in other areas, still not sure what to do with six units. Though I bet one would look nice on that big lot next to the spencer-kim house in Willow Creek.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    Monet11Monet11 Posts: 1,422 Member

I actually think it's a pressure cooker. A little different from a slow or rice cooker. It will be interesting to see what the item description says. ๐Ÿ‘€
    Here's my comment from a few days ago:
    I've seen a lot of people mention the rice cooker but upon closer look, I think it's a pressure cooker. Yes, you can totally make rice in a pressure cooker. The reason I mention this is because around the timestamp @ 0:52 you see the sim release steam from a valve much like a pressure cooker.
    Such a silly thing to bring up. I just thought it was interesting since I have a unhealthy collection of small kitchen appliances in RL. :D My instant pot kicked the bucket but it looked a lot like the trailer when I did use it. My rice cooker doesn't work like a pressure cooker. I do use that often. Not can expert or anything. Curious what others think who know a thing or two about kitchen stuff.

It looks like a pressure cooker to me. I'd be surprised if it wasn't one. You can make rice in a pressure cooker, as well as many other things, including yogurt. A pressure cooker is a great choice for an appliance. I am thrilled about this.
  • Options
    Well maybe SimGuruNova was referring to another small appliance in this tweet. ๐Ÿค”
  • Options
    Don't we also get a kettle in this pack?
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png