Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Starting a New Save Should NOT Force You Into CAS

simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,401 Member
edited July 2023 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
This is a bizarre quirk of the Sims 4 and a departure from the previous generations. It's inflexible and based on the assumption that everyone wants to create a new sim for their game. They don't. For those that only play with premades in a rotational manner or those that want to build, this doesn't work.

Watch Cindy/PleasantSims, a Sims Influencer and Content Creator, swim upstream to get the game to work for her in "How I Play The Sims 4 Rotationally (My Gameplay Strategy)" - starts at 8:50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKJzHOEXttE&t=530s

Solution:
Starting a new save should put you into the world first where the player, not the game, can decide if they want to (1) Build and renovate (2) select a premade household or (3) enter CAS

He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
Post edited by simmerorigin on

Comments

• Options
    telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    This just can't be said enough. I wholeheartedly agree.
  • Options
    Katofhyrule12Katofhyrule12 Posts: 720 Member
    I keep a premade Sim in my library on the gallery. I always download him into CAS as soon as CAS starts up. I place him on the same empty lot every time. He is a homeless man that I cheated so that he can survive well on an empty lot. I think of him as a townie that I always have in my game.

I only actively play him if I am playing a child alone challenge. I start the child with him and then delete him from the family. He still roams around the game even though I cannot actively play him. If the child needs an adult, I go find him and add him back into the family just long enough for him to complete the neccessary task.
  • Options
    I keep a premade Sim in my library on the gallery. I always download him into CAS as soon as CAS starts up. I place him on the same empty lot every time. He is a homeless man that I cheated so that he can survive well on an empty lot. I think of him as a townie that I always have in my game.

I only actively play him if I am playing a child alone challenge. I start the child with him and then delete him from the family. He still roams around the game even though I cannot actively play him. If the child needs an adult, I go find him and add him back into the family just long enough for him to complete the neccessary task.

A creative solution that takes advantage of a bizarrely-designed new save launcher!
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    I really hope Sims 5 is more thoughtful about this.
  • Options
    nattygirl13nattygirl13 Posts: 82 Member
    Yeah, there have been many times when I wanted to build first and then decide what type of household I wanted to make. Notto mention, there should be an option to create a household without moving them into a lot. I mean, I like making pre-made sims to replace NPCs. But they won't take NPC roles if they've been loaded into a lot. Usually, I have to press new game, make the household, save them to the library, and then cancel and exit CAS.