Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why don't dislikes prevent Sims from doing certain things?

My Sim hates dancing, but the moment I put on music, he wakes up and begins to dance, only to get a Tense moodlet because of it. Is this an oversight? Is there a mod to fix this?

Comments

• Options
    Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,128 Member
    I can so relate to this. I have several sims with the "dislikes dancing" trait, yet they still dance anyways.....like they're being forced against their will to do it.

It really comes down to lazy programming. The devs simply plugged in the equation "music = dancing reaction" without taking anything else into consideration.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,402 Member
    They shouldn't do disliked activities autonomously, only if we direct them to do them. But then I think of things we don't like but still have to do, like washing dishes or weeding the garden and I think I would still like them to do them autonomously, but grudgingly and maybe do them badly. If a sim doesn't like cooking, they should either burn the food or make poor quality food every time and preferably not gain any skill points from burnt or poor food.
  • Options
    RapidRabidRabbitRapidRabidRabbit Posts: 134 Member
    I would love for likes and dislikes to impact their autonomy. I feel like it would just make my sims feel so much more alive.
  • Options
    bandit5bandit5 Posts: 919 Member
    It should be like in sims 2 if a sim is a slob, they refuse to take out the trash or clean and will complain about it.
  • Options
    g01denswang01denswan Posts: 1,028 Member
    Not sure if there is a mod to fix it since I don’t use mods. I wish sims are intelligent enough to not autonomously do what they dislike though, and if player directed to do so, either act upset when doing it or do it poorly.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,984 Member
    I rarely put dislikes on my sims. They already develop lifestyles I don’t want them to have. I have one sim who has farm animals and works on wood crafting, but sometimes at night I like him to watch tv with his wife to relax, but sometimes if he is too busy during the day he is too tired to do that and I send him to bed. So he developed a technophobe lifestyle, which makes it where he can’t even do woodworking which he actually likes to do. And, he is tense around the house because of technology. I wish we could choose the lifestyle we think they should have. I have learned the cheat to take away lifestyles which helps, but wish I didn’t have to use a cheat for it. Fears also tend to add tenseness to sims which I don’t like because they add it to sims that are supposed to be easygoing.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    Yesterday I had a sim who hates working out constantly go to the punch bag or the football...Silly sim.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    plumboy23plumboy23 Posts: 134 Member
    edited February 2023
    This is the main reason I don't use likes and dislikes, they're a nonsense bunch of moodlets with no effect at all, they're assigned by randomness and I always decline this because for me it's just a happy buff more to stock, I really REALLY hope the new chemistry system involve more than just Likes and Dislikes. Please..
  • Options
    filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    I've had sims autonomously turn on music stations they dislike. Likes and Dislikes is a very sloppy system that doesn't work the way it's supposed to. I've also had sims who dislike Mischief and Comedy get positive relationship gains with sims who perform Mischief and Comedy on them. All they get are some negative moodlettes.
  • Options
    JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited February 2023
    If they like bowling... and are Max level bowling... and they dislike wellness... and you put a bowling lane next to a yoga mat.. they go to the mat every single time.

I don’t think likes and dislikes affect autonomy at all.
  • Options
    thesimmer14thesimmer14 Posts: 393 Member
    Could a SimGuru give us some insight as to whether this is being worked on..?
  • Options
    filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    Could a SimGuru give us some insight as to whether this is being worked on..?

yes who could we tag? I don't know the gurus by heart.
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    its a bug
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,924 Member
    Autonomous fitness by sims who dislike fitness was supposedly fixed in Sept 2021
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/FIXED-Sims-autonomously-doing-activities-they-dislike/m-p/10380214
    @Mariefoxprice83 you might consider creating a new bug report since you still have the issue (unless you haven't updated since then)

There are now separate bug threads for each disliked activity-- here are the existing ones
    Dancing https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/GT-Sims-that-Dislike-Dancing-Still-Autonomously-Dancing-to-Music/m-p/11487596
    Mischief https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/Sims-who-Dislike-Mischief-Autonomously-do-Mischief/td-p/10925323
    @filipomel @JustinB113 you might consider creating bug reports for your disliked activities
  • Options
    maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    I tried using the likes/dislikes when they first came out. I had a sim who likes fitness, as I wanted him to level up faster. It was bedtime and he was exhausted. He fell asleep for only a short time, then got up and went to exercise some more! I was getting his wife ready for bedtime and didn't notice until she went to bed and he wasn't there. Caught him just in time to prevent his death! First thing I did was put him back into CAS and remove the Like! If we get likes/dislikes similar to Sims 2 with liking/disliking certain jobs, hair/eye color, wearing glasses, I may try using those likes for the purpose of attraction. But only if I am happy with the results.
  • Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,140 Member
    Yeah, the likes and dislikes are affecting my Sims also. One of my Sims took a sudden dislike to the toilet paper holder in his bathroom, a base game object that is pretty generic, and would cancel everything in his queue just to go into the bathroom and have a fit because he thought it was hideous. I've been playing this Sim for weeks and this quirk just came out of nowhere. Then he began doing the same thing with his furniture. He'd drop everything to go and stand by the object then either applaud himself for having good taste or pitch a hissy fit because he hated it. I finally grew tired of trying to work with him on this by changing things, but nothing I did was ever good enough to suit him. So, I took away all his decor likes and that solved the problem. At the moment, that is the only category in the likes and dislikes that causes a reaction in my Sims. But it is amusing he disliked a simple toilet paper holder he had been using for weeks without reacting to it before now. :/
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,636 Member
    bandit5 wrote: »
    It should be like in sims 2 if a sim is a slob, they refuse to take out the trash or clean and will complain about it.

Or break that fourth wall to give the player a really dirty look. LOL I was upset in Sims3, that our Sims had color preferences, yet they got nothing out of it. I made a point to decorate their bedrooms using their favorite color in some manner, yet they never even got so much as a happy moodlet for being in the room. Face/palm. EA, you're such a tease.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,140 Member
    When I saw the colors in the likes and dislikes choices, I hoped colors would finally elicit a reaction from our Sims. But, alas, it doesn't matter to them in any way. I don't bother choosing a color preference for my Sims because if they don't care about the color of things, why should I? Why not save that 'like' for something that does matter?
  • Options
    ArzekialArzekial Posts: 665 Member
    edited March 2023
    It really comes down to lazy programming. The devs simply plugged in the equation "music = dancing reaction" without taking anything else into consideration.

I would say lack of testing. There are many examples of this, like early high school graduates can no longer go to prom, but their bf/gf gets a negative sentiment if they don't take them but they literally can't go anymore.

Post edited by Arzekial on
  • Options
    Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,128 Member
    Arzekial wrote: »

I would say lack of testing. There are many examples of this, like early high school graduates can no longer go to prom, but their bf/gf gets a negative sentiment if they don't take them but they literally can't go anymore.

That's very possible. They might be in such a rush to put it out there that they don't take the time to test things
  • Options
    bandit5bandit5 Posts: 919 Member
    is true that the players that buy the expansions and other dlc are the ones who are the main bug testers.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,984 Member
    I rarely give my sims dislikes. And they should make it where they don’t automatically do things they dislike.
  • Options
    jpsulsuldagdagjpsulsuldagdag Posts: 450 Member
    They should not autonomously do it, I agree..unless you make them do it.
  • Options
    manicobsessivemanicobsessive Posts: 1,111 Member
    This exactly! It kinda makes the dislikes a little pointless. It would be nice if you had to direct them to do things they dislike, whether it's because they have to or you're just feeling mean. :p
  • Options
    lucombrelucombre Posts: 45 Member
    I agree - for me the dancing is the worst. I generally like the Likes and Dislikes system and think it adds a lot to the game, but this one drives me crazy. Also how sims that dislike gardening also dislike eating fruit (harvestables) for some reason 🤦‍♀️