Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What to Keep on Reinstall?

Hello

Which files out of these that appear at the bottom of all the folders in this PC/Documents/Electronic Artis/Sims 3, do I put aside and keep before uninstalling and reinstalling?

3hn4kdvzounk.png

I know from the folders that are usually above them that I keep Saves, SavedSims, Downloads and Mods, plus any screenshots or videos.

Which of those files have the Create a Style things in it? Which one has the NRAAS Story Progression settings, and which one has the game options like age, seasons ... ? The rest I can delete right?

Also, how do I reinstall from re-downloaded registered games/content, without catching 1.69? Then where do I find patch 1.67? Or is that impossible with downloaded re-install? Do I have to get the disks I loaned to my brother and install offline to avoid 1.69? Will it force itself once I connect anyway?

Thanks so much :)

@igazor ? You around, mate?

I remember you from university, I still have your story.

Comments

• Options
    wendyyi1wendyyi1 Posts: 579 Member
    Igazor hasn't been around for months, although he's still active over on the NRAAS wesbite.

I don't know the answers to all your questions so I'm going to tag @Karritz

If you want to avoid 1.69, you will need physical discs for base game and all EPs/SPs. The base game will need to be the original 2009 edition, not the 2012 (1 think) edition.
    For some reason, I can't post the direct link to the SuperPatcher, but if you go to this page on the Sims Wiki, you can get it there.
    http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:TS3_Patching
    I recommend backing up a copy.

I always refer to this page about game files on Crinrict's help blog https://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/01/faq-user-files.html

• Options
    BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,186 Member
    @wendyyi1 I have all my discs incl a base game original. However I found that as soon as I added my packs etc then it auto updates to 1.69
    I think it was possible a couple/few years ago but not anymore.

Karritz may be able to confirm that.
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • Options
    DivinylsFanDivinylsFan Posts: 1,278 Member
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    Hello. I'll have a go at answering some of this.

I'd recommend saving a copy of your options.ini file somewhere safe once you have got your options set how you like them. This is because whenever your graphics card gets a software update the Options.ini gets replaced with it set back to defaults. There is one line from the new options.ini that you need to copy and paste into the backed up Options.ini. It is the line that gets changed whenever the card software is updated.

lastdevice = 0;10de;1c03;1694

The numbers will have changed so all you do is find this line from the new Options.ini and copy it and then paste it over the same line of code in the backed up copy. Then delete the new options.ini and replace it with the updated version of the backed up copy. That can be a lot easier than redoing your options and shutting down and relaunching.

As far as avoiding patch 1.69 goes, all I can say is what I did and how I got it to work.

Firstly, I got my new computer in 2017 and decided not to risk putting Origin on it at all. This meant I no longer can play Sims 4, Sim City and a few other games that are available on Origin. But I didn't want to have the problems that come with Origin and Sims 3.

So, the important thing to do is when installing the pre September 2012 Base Game is to say no when it wants to install the EADM to say No. If you put the EADM onto your computer it will immediately be replaced by Origin because that is what Origin was designed to replace.
  • Options
    Does anyone know what these are that were in my Sims 3/Download folder?
    dycua4tf4x2q.png

• Options
    edited November 2022
    Passport data relates to Simport.
    Challenge data relates to progress towards badges.
  • Options
    wendyyi1 wrote: »

how did they get there?
    Is it ok to delete them?
  • Options
    Thanks so much for replying and advising me :) Such an honour :)

@Karritz I don't seem to have one of those :( I right clicked and opened the "Options" file with the cog on it, and I don't see a line that says lastdevice. There is ageing and season lengths in it, and graphics settings. As is in DeviceConfig. The file called LoadOption only has a selectedflags and a playedflags.
    what is the userPresets. package file? is that were my NRAAS story progression settings are?
    Is CASPartCache where my patterns and create-a-style creations are?
    What is tslus? socialCache? compositorCache?

• Options
    edited November 2022

how did they get there?
    Is it ok to delete them?

I'm pretty sure the Passport and Challenge data files are automatically generated. There's no need to keep them if you aren't working on either.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    I right clicked and opened the "Options" file with the cog on it, and I don't see a line that says lastdevice.
    Are you sure? Mine's about 1/3 way down. They don't seem to be in any particular order

• Options
    I right clicked and opened the "Options" file with the cog on it, and I don't see a line that says lastdevice.
    Are you sure? Mine's about 1/3 way down. They don't seem to be in any particular order

Found it :) Camouflaged between tree quality and musicmute ... then when I went back to look at it to say that, I lost it again! Really tucked away in there eh.

alrighty.
    Any idea what the other files are?
  • Options
    And does anyone know what these are?

tmklmrgiuh1b.png

above them was a file called "....(my email).bin". All of these were in my Downloads folder. I realise now that those one's called dynamic challenge are probably what generated the 'passport' and 'challenge' files, and I can't remember what that was all about at all ... the one called "EP2RegIncentive.Sims3Pack" sounds like expansion pack 2 something, as do the EP8, EP9, EP10 one's but "RegSET", what would they have been? I'm organising them into folders of wear, hair, objects, houses, sims, worlds. That is why I want to know.
    Then, what on earth is the FSIViewCount Tracking file?
    And the msi.bin, and nav.bin? Can these latter 3 files be safely deleted and have new one's generated in a new game?

Hugs xx.
  • Options
    @DivinylsFan

I think the user presets file holds things you've recoloured.

All of the 5 Cache files can be deleted or not. They are replaced by the game if deleted. They are usually the culprits if you have game issues and deleting them can fix the problem. Many people delete them each time they load the game others don't. It's up to you. The one to hold onto is the SocialCache as I think it keeps track of your sim port activities. I don't do sim ports, so I never worry about it.

I often have to look for a while before I find the Last Device line of code. It is there. It's only important if you are not happy to have to redo all of your options preferences every time your graphics card is updated.
  • Options
    @DivinylsFan if you have an integrated graphics card then you may not have that line in your options ini file. But your computer may not be able to run the game for long with that type of card.
  • Options
    I think I'm ready :( ee-ghad! wish me luck ...backups and backups of backups just in case ... Mummy I'm scared ...
  • Options
    grrr! that smooth patch doesn't launch! Terrible!