Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My Wants and Fears Verdict: Kind of Weaksauce

SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
edited July 2022 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
I've been playing a new save (on normal aging to avoid that bug), and I've gotten to experience the new Wants and Fears system. Now, while I appreciate the work the devs put into it...it's not that good. Aside from the "I wanna date my sister" glitch, the actual functionality of this system adds nothing of substance to the game. Unlike TS2 and TS3's versions, saving a Want for too long or not fulfilling at least one want within a day or two leads to awkward moodlets...Yeah, just awkward moodlets. Some are sad, or tense, or angry...but they ultimately mean nothing because negative emotions mean nothing in TS4. One of the most satisfying things in TS2 was locking a Want to be a medium-to-long-term goal and finally seeing that little UI gadget spin when you got it done. In TS4, there is no visual flare to the completion of a Want, and saving them for the long-term or medium-term can lead to useless moodlets buried in a sim's already over-crowded moodlet panel doing nothing to really affect gameplay at all.

As for the Fears, they pop up in the sim's Simology pannel and do...yep, basically nothing. There's a little jagged thought bubble that tells you how to cure it, and...yeah, that's it. It ends up just being a source of ineffectual negative moodlets until you cure it. So far, I haven't seen a single solid fear I could make come true and totally bomb a sim's whole mojo like you can in TS2. There is no break-down. There is no breaking point. Just...negative moodlets that get buried under all of the extraneous positive ones you can effortlessly rack up in this game. Fears? More like minor inconveniences. This is exactly what I was afraid this system would be when they announced it, just another useless moodlet generator with no depth. Another finger curls on the monkey's paw.

The only good thing I can say about this system is...They tried. They tried to give us Wants and Fears within the framework of a game that can't tolerate the kind of Wants and Fears systems previous games had. They tried...and failed.
There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
5MNZlGQ.gif
When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.

Comments

• Options
    Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    I expected it. Call me a pessimist, but it's been the same issues for years now. A "feature" we used to have returned and well it just doesn't have that same "ump". This version of the sims is watered down and it has been for years and will continue to be. There's no soul. :/
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options
    eelgreeneelgreen Posts: 1 New Member
    I'd love it if they would give us an option to swap out Wants and Fears for the Whims system that was in place.

I tended to fulfill as my Whims as possible for my Sims, but now that's just not an option. The Wants I've gotten for my Sims all relate to chatting with some random Sim they met a day or two earlier --a Sim they don't even like in some cases.

The irrelevant Wants system in place of Whims means that there's no build up of Aspiration Points as you play --beyond what you get from fulfilling Aspiration Milestones.

As an example:

I like to buy reward traits for my Sims, such as 'Carefree'.

Instead, I get a Sim who comes home from their job as a Writer tense, refuses to work on writing skill, and gains a Fear moodlet that they're at a dead-end job --a moodlet I have to attempt at least three times to resolve. Their lifetime aspiration is to become an Author, so it seems like an irrelevant fear to assign, since they're well on their way to achieving that aspiration.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited July 2022
    I have yet to receive a fear
    but I find there is yet again too many dull wants like "listen to x radio channel"

sure if you got that like once a sim week fine but almost every day of my sims lives since patch have been starting with that

alongside maybe " become emotion x" thats another vague one I don't really see point of

also i feel like we should be able to cancel dull wants like this cause they block the more interesting ones

not to even start with "stay home for 8 hours" my sims are already doing that without my input thank you very much game :sweat_smile: oh well at least in weird way that reminds me i could have my sims go out i suppose so its fine
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    Lucretia3Lucretia3 Posts: 2 New Member
    Fear has ruined my married sims lives. They’re both afraid of being cheated on (I have no idea why) so whenever one of them talks to someone else their romance level plummets. They’re legit about to have a child and are supposed to be happy and in love and they basically hate each other now. I had to turn fears and wants off because I kept having to spend all day rebuilding their romance.
    And the one is afraid of fire so he’s miserable whenever he’s near the fireplace 😅
  • Options
    ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    I would like to be able to turn off fears. I’ve managed without them for eight years. Currently I’d turn off wants as well.

I would rather have whims back as at least you could cancel them and get a new one.

At least in The Sims 2 there was some sort of sense to fears. The Sims 4 ones seem random and if they’re solely attached the base game and HSY then they will be limited.
    Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    I want Whims back. This new system just isn't it. It's shallow because there aren't enough Wants that make sense for each Sim and the Fears are extremely repetitive. We need to be able to reject Wants & Fears at the very least. They are immersion-breaking for me.
  • Options
    Gamer_34567544Gamer_34567544 Posts: 1,300 Member
    I second this. A Sim Fears they will never achieve their dreams...

Dude... if you're a vampire, you have all the time in the world. Afraid of death? Just stay inside and you're fine!
  • Options
    iamdumdum1234iamdumdum1234 Posts: 5 New Member
    IMO this is even worse than the Wishes system in TS3. It's just "oh god im SOOOOO afraid of X" and you get some moodlets related to it. Not like in TS2, where you lose/gain points depending on what your Sim does/does not want to do, not some generic things like death, or low grades.

5/10, they tried.
  • Options
    ViolettaVioletta Posts: 29 Member
    I agree. I already miss the whims. They were occasionally annoying when sims would want to buy random things, but you could easily click those ones away until you got a whim that made sense. Would have been nice if they didn't tie wants and fears together, so you could turn off the fears but keep wants on, or vice versa.

Plus I can't use MCCC to cheat and give my sims a bunch of aspiration points anymore. I tried and got a last exception error.
  • Options
    SkipInklingSkipInkling Posts: 84 Member
    edited August 2022
    Just give me the old TS2 UI back, please. It worked. It was fun. There's no need to reinvent the wheel.
  • Options
    haisinhaisin Posts: 948 Member
    I don't miss the TS2 wants and fears system at all. Sure it worked in that game, but I don't think it would work in TS4 and I don't want to have it in TS4. This is a different game.

I still haven't played the new wants and fears system, but I have heard good and bad things about it. I believe it needs fixing and tuning, adding wants to the older pack traits and also just generally adding more wants to have some variety, but if they work on it it might be good?

And they better work on it. I'm not going to forgive them for taking Whims out of the game if they aren't going to work on this new system and make it better.
  • Options
    Chels2xoChels2xo Posts: 3 New Member
    I am always open to try the updates and changes to
    The game, but this fears and wants is exhausting and makes the game very stressful to play. I don't want to turn them off because it is rewarding when you fulfill the wants and conquers the fears. However, does the sim ever really get over there fear? My sim had a fear of the dark, so I had her go outside at night while feeling Confident, she overcame her fear (I got a notification and everything). The next day, the fear is back. This adds no value to the game. The fear of not fulfilling dreams is way too sensitive. It takes awhile to complete aspiration milestones and dreams, so I can understand if the sim spends no time working toward their dreams then it would be reasonable to get the Angry moodlet because your sim fears they won't fulfill their dreams in time before death. But when you build skills or complete tasks that are a part of fulfilling your sim's ultimate dream, and your sim still gets the angry moodlet ALL THE TIME, it is very frustrating. When your Sim is angry, it then makes everything else in their lives hard to manage, like their health and they don't build skills or create excellent quality items when their mood is not positive. I have a family of 7, and every single sim in the household (except the toddlers) walk around angry that they haven't fulfilled their dreams, even though I make progress toward those dreams each day aside from their jobs, needs, and other things.
  • Options
    DiassaDiassa Posts: 156 Member
    I want to be able to cancel want I can't fullfill for example. Also, wants are repititive and don't include EPs, GPs and stuff packs that we aleady have. At least there was a whim to buy bee box - even this wasn't so annoying like wants. I want a whim system back, at least allow us to choose :(
    Fears are even worse... :(
      The Sages appreciation club
    RcdS04K.jpg
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Wants and fears at this point is pretty weak there's just is not enough of them for it to add any real value. I can't tell you how many times my Sims want was to listen to a certain radio station also it must be listened to on a radio as they did not even bother to link it to the earphones, I think listen to the radio is the new bee box because they did not create enough of them once again.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    HeronyxHeronyx Posts: 43 Member
    All of my Sims suddenly got a fear relating to their jobs. Most were in the upper echelons of their job associated with their aspirations and suddenly started whining about someone controlling their lives (as if the player isn't god in the Sims...) Every sim in the household wanted to change out of their dead end careers... Level 8, 9, 10... Unlike in the Sims 3, the wants could not be selected, locked or dismissed. I'm sorry but I don't play the Sims to listen to a computer sprite complaining about 1st world problems. They had accumulated millions through hard work and were acting like spoiled small children. I turned the feature off, and that's that.
    I don't think free updates should change gameplay. If users want to change the way the game is played, I think that should be exclusive to paid content. The cost is worth it if people feel strongly enough to beg for it. Either that or make the Sims 5 with all of these ideas and see how that works out.
  • Options
    HeronyxHeronyx Posts: 43 Member
    Diassa wrote: »
    I want to be able to cancel want I can't fullfill for example. Also, wants are repititive and don't include EPs, GPs and stuff packs that we aleady have. At least there was a whim to buy bee box - even this wasn't so annoying like wants. I want a whim system back, at least allow us to choose :(
    Fears are even worse... :(

Assuming you haven't already, turn off the wants and fears from the gameplay menu. That at least makes gameplay tolerable.