Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What Are You Reading?

chillabychillaby Posts: 35 Member
I'm looking to get back into books as I'm about to have some more free time, so tell me what you're currently reading!

Include the title, the author, and a spoil-free summary of the book / your impressions so far!

Comments

• Options
    WhatCobblersWhatCobblers Posts: 2,758 Member
    edited July 2022
    Have recently been reading a fantasy novel called Once Stolen by D. N. Bryn. It is set in a world of pirates and mermadic species. The main character is a mer-snake who has autism and speaks in sign language.

He has a need for magical stones (ignits) to help cope with his hyper-sensitivity to touch (certain materials cause him pain) and, in an attempt to get some, finds himself unexpectedly on a quest with an escaped prisoner, with her captors in pursuit.
    The author does a particularly good job of capturing the sensory experience of the world from the main character's point of view.

Am only about a third of the way through at the moment but am enjoying the adventure so far.
    I would have said it was a book for YA-adult due to the swearing.

I also recently read The Deep Sea Duke by Lauren James, which was a lovely little sci-fi/ fantasy story about the summer holiday escapades of a clockwork android watchmaker and two student friends of his from an intergalactic high school/college (an aquatic humanoid and a living volcano).

I didn't realise when I first bought this that this was actually the second book in a series. The first is The Starlight Watchmaker, which I'm also planning to read. There have, as far as I know only been the two in the series, but am hoping there will be more!

This particular series is dyslexia friendly, and the layout is designed especially for reluctant readers. I don't have dyslexia but am hoping to publish my own fantasy stories one day so it was interesting to get an idea of how to make the book layouts more accessable.
    I would say The Deep Sea Duke was aimed at older children/younger teenage and up. (I'm way older than that but I often enjoy the imaginary worlds of children's books more than that of adult fiction. The rules and structures of imaginary world building seem to be more rigid in adult fiction but maybe I just need to read more).

All of the above books are also LGBTQA+ inclusive.

I'll stop now as I've waffled on a bit but hope you find some good things to read! 🙂
  • Options
    XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    Well one book has to do with Bettie Page; but for the sake of rating, I will leave it at that besides how it does gives tips for hair, makeup, etc..... Another I got was to help me learn French.

Most of the books I get are more educational/learning a skill or a biography. If you want actual novel, maybe try Mexican Gothic. I don't have the book right now or finished it as everything is packed at the moment; but it is a pretty good modern version of Gothic horror novels.