Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Quick Poll: Is it Cheating?

I am playing what I hope to be a legacy-style (though not legacy rules) game. Sometimes it is just more satisfying to make Sims earn what they own, you know?

Anyway, I have a single Sim who lived in a shack in Brindleton Bay. This was less than the 20,000 start with a fresh Sim. Carli moved to University. When she did, I left (i.e. sold) all the furniture behind. Then I "cheated" to remove 17 -18 thousand extra.
Now that she has graduated, Carli barely has enough for the bond on an EMPTY Stonestreet apartment.

Is it cheating to give her 10 -15 thousand in order to put in a basic bathroom and kitchen? The sort of items that would come fixed in the apartment already??

Quick Poll: Is it Cheating? 84 votes

Yes. It's definitely cheating.
30%
lisamwittMelisendrehaneulMindofyDarkLady2788BabykittyjadeFinvolabixtersXxAirixXDoloresGreyEnkiSchmidtSketch793ScobreKyreRoenStrawberryYogurtMonaveilCattyBetsyddd994SharoniaEllupelluellu 26 votes
No. It's money she would have had anyway. (Alternately it
69%
Akl500Pcrocobauratams2578Kita5399Mstybl95GalacticGalIcewolfPlayerSinger2010imhappyMi9shaoscarVibseAC_44elanorbretonsimgirl1010freindlylolbarracuda1574stilljustme2KennziKaigetaydevphantasmkiss 58 votes

Comments

• Options
    NRoweNRowe Posts: 7,908 Member
    edited September 2021
    Ops. Hit ENTER too quickly. I meant to finish that second option as "No. It's money she would have had anyway. (Alternately it is realistic)."
    With a THIRD option for OTHER in case people think things like "As long as you leave the money/furniture behind when you move again"
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,127 Member
    However, I'm all for cheating when it comes to houses. I want my Sims to live in the houses I built for them and almost all of my houses are fully furnished and decorated, even if it's cheap furniture. It's the only thing I regularly cheat, I make my main Sim earn everything else the hard way.

I guess technically it's money she would have had if you hadn't taken it away, but... you did because it fit your story and she doesn't have it anymore.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Honestly I do this all the time😆😆 but it feels like cheating
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,132 Member
    I don't really see it as cheating because it's less than you removed to start with. I feel like maybe it was put in a bank and she withdrew it after graduating. Or it could have been a graduation gift or maybe a sign-on bonus from her employer?
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,437 Member
    I don't worry about "cheating", I do freerealestate for almost all of my sims.
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    edited September 2021
    I agree pretty well completely with @lisamwitt. It is technically cheating because you are using cheats, but only you can answer the question of whether or not it cheats yourself and the story you want.

If you cannot justify it in your story, grind out the simoleons over time (I think it would be possible to not have a kitchen and bathroom and still tend to your needs using community stuff). If you can, and most importantly want to, go straight ahead.

I'm the first to use motherlode when I just do not want to deal with it. Yet I have also played a game with a bunch of brothers suffering terribly in an awful apartment in poverty, only allowed to escape upon marriage. It was hilarious. *shrug* Your story, your rules. Its not like you are doing a set challenge.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 9,165 Member
    edited September 2021
    I mean it depends if it feel like cheating to you

i personally use free real estate often cause i like to put my sims on specific lots and not juggle around

and apartments do often come with fridge and plumbing at very least
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    It sounds like you're going by your own rules, which means that you are the boss. So if you say it's cheating, it is. Likewise if you say it isn't, it's not. Whichever is more fun for you is the right answer, isn't it? :) For me it totally wouldn't be cheating.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 6,098 Member
    She moved out of her lot and sold the furnishings.
    Then you cheated to take away the money from sale of furnishings.
    Now you wish to cheat to give her the money back.
    I think she's entitled to it :)

(Unless you want to play rags to riches from this point, which could be fun too)
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    She legitimately had the money from moving. Technically, removing the funds was cheating.

Rules exist in sport, or group games, for evenness in competition. In challenges, they are self-imposed.

What do you feel the honest approach would be, in the spirit of the rules you set, solely in competition with yourself?
  • Options
    PeppersPeppers Posts: 86 Member
    It is definitely cheating if any cheats were used and funds were removed/ added. That being said, if I was in the same situation I would probably cheat that money back and not worry about it too much :smile: unless it bothers you or you are playing by any rules you don't want to break
  • Options
    GirlFromIpanemaGirlFromIpanema Posts: 843 Member
    I don't see The Sims as a game you can really cheat at (even though, of course we can use "cheats", I don't consider it "cheating" in the usual sense of the word) because it's a solo, individual, and very personal game where you don't win points or play against other people.

However if you set yourself certain rules for your game for your own amusement, then that's different but I still thinks it's okay to break them. If the fact that your Sim doesn't have enough money ruins your amusement, then by all means add some funds to do up the bathroom/kitchen.

If you are still unsure, you could give yourself a loan. Give your Sim the money now, and once they are earning enough remove some money every now and then as though they are paying off their loan?

Either way, as log as you're having fun there is no right or wrong! :smile:

(Even in my "non-cheat" saves I allow myself to use the fill-all-needs cheat, because sometimes I really can't be bothered to send my Sim to the bathroom haha).
  • Options
    Sketch793Sketch793 Posts: 1,218 Member
    edited September 2021
    You don't need 10,000 to 15,000 for a "basic bathroom and kitchen." That's probably enough to buy a cheap vacant lot and build a basic house, including a bedroom with a double bed, a bathroom with a toilet and shower, and a kitchen with a refrigerator, stove, and counter. Using just the basegame, you can get a toilet for 250, a shower for 375, a refrigerator for 375, a stove for 400, and a counter or counter island for 150. That should be enough for a "basic bathroom and kitchen" and the total cost is only 1550.

ETA: That said, it doesn't matter to me how much money you give your Sim or take away from her. It's your game and your challenge, so you decide what's okay.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,570 Member
    You need to give the lady her money back plus interest.
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    I don’t see it as cheating but if you want to do it w/o adding money you can enter the apartment you want for her via build mode through manage worlds and add the fixtures - counter tops, plumbing, flooring etc. and delete anything you don’t want, then go back and move her in with her original funds.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,972 Member
    edited September 2021
    I did not vote because in it depends on the individual who artificially expand their income as there is no consequences if one cheats in the game for it does not punish you then or even down the road. For myself I I would say I cheated because I did not have my Sims work for it and I do not follow the Oh they would have gotten it anyway and that may be true but it takes some of the joy out of the game because I use my sims to rise naturally and I am patient enough to make it happen. If I did do something like that I can always take what I took and pay it back when my Sims make enough but I still would not do that, so again it depends on the player morals and how they play.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 29,006 Member
    You cheated to remove the money, you're just wanting to give it back now. Even-steven.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Mr_MuffinTopMr_MuffinTop Posts: 131 Member
    NRowe wrote: »
    I am playing what I hope to be a legacy-style (though not legacy rules) game. Sometimes it is just more satisfying to make Sims earn what they own, you know?

You literally said you are not playing by the basic rules so it falls onto you to decide if it is cheating.

I voted that it is cheating b.c you are giving her money when you could have just used the roof feature to expend over a sort of out house for the toilet and have tossed her into a tiny add on room all for less than 10k.

Does it matter that you cheated...nope, your game, your rules.

• Options
    MoonlightGrahamMoonlightGraham Posts: 884 Member
    edited September 2021
    I voted "no," because I think you're only giving Carli back what was hers to begin with. I like @SweetieWright_84 's explanation--perhaps the money was in a bank account.

The most important question is this: What option will be more enjoyable for you? If it would be more fun for you to let Carli start her career with a few nice things, replace the funds. If you want the challenge of letting Carli grind it out for a while, don't give her back the money. Or, go into Build mode, find out how much it would cost to give her the bare-bones existence you described, and give her back only that much.
    Exie hay, cavero, veebo marz viremzico.
    Exie hay, cavero, mabza meeah vendarzo.
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
  • Options
    simlandersimlander Posts: 196 Member
    Let's just say she got a loan or won the lottery :D
  • Options
    Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,334 Member

Turns out it is soooo easy to "Cheat" without "Cheating". So in this case I would say no.

You could buy a bunch of easels, start a paint club, fill it up with members, start a gathering in your apartment, and let them autonomously paint and keep selling their paintings. You could easily be in the §100,000 in a few days.

Even easier, combine other housholds into yours, then kick the others out and keep the money. lol! (Black widow 'gold-digger' strategy maybe? :p )

That I would call cheating, even though game-mechanics wise, it's not. ;)
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    netney52netney52 Posts: 1,215 Member
    I’ve done this before i don’t see it as cheating and see it more as money in savings in the bank
  • Options
    MonaveilMonaveil Posts: 652 Member
    edited September 2021
    Yes, in my opinion, it is cheating. She should have started in a place that she could afford. But, you need to play your game the way you like to play not with other people's rules.

You can build or furnish a basic bathroom and kitchen for way less than "10 -15 thousand."
  • Options
    Gamer_34567544Gamer_34567544 Posts: 1,300 Member
    Doesn't exactly matter, does it? Play how you like. :)
  • Options
    XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    Technically it is cheating even though you removed some of that money; but unless you are following rules for a challenge, there really isn't any certain way to play and the cheats are there for those of us that want to skip the who rags to riches/starter home part of the game. Such as you a have a specific storyline in mind that you want to play out.