Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Thoughts about a Death Expansion Pack?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    jomilej wrote: »
    jcp011c2 wrote: »
    Game Pack would be enough for me. Though they've had a history of going light on the EPs, I honestly can't see them filling out an EP with things relating to death/funerals/etc.

What bothers me with game packs for themes like this is that it's always the bare minimum like Dream Home Decorator, My Wedding Stories...And I feel like they wouldn't go as deep as they could.

Actually, I think a system that's not very in depth would be preferable. There would be less room for errors and bugs and random stuff that don't make sense passing for AI.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    Game Pack would be enough for me. Though they've had a history of going light on the EPs, I honestly can't see them filling out an EP with things relating to death/funerals/etc.

What bothers me with game packs for themes like this is that it's always the bare minimum like Dream Home Decorator, My Wedding Stories...And I feel like they wouldn't go as deep as they could.

And yet, we've also recently had Werewolves, which is arguably the best Occult pack of the three (and the most recent Game Pack) I could point out a couple of other Game packs that aren't particularly light either (Parenthood comes to mind, and Jungle Adventure), but they're older. Point being that GP vs EP actually has no bearing on the depth of a pack, only how many workhours and outsourced assets they can put in.

I really think that a game pack would suit a death pack. It's niche and doesn't have the same asset demands as say... horses (which is the only reason I give Horse Ranch a pass on being as shallow as it was) and their recent track record with EPs suggest they'd go more broad than deep if they were to do a death EP.
  • Options
    jomilejjomilej Posts: 191 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »

And yet, we've also recently had Werewolves, which is arguably the best Occult pack of the three (and the most recent Game Pack) I could point out a couple of other Game packs that aren't particularly light either (Parenthood comes to mind, and Jungle Adventure), but they're older. Point being that GP vs EP actually has no bearing on the depth of a pack, only how many workhours and outsourced assets they can put in.

I really think that a game pack would suit a death pack. It's niche and doesn't have the same asset demands as say... horses (which is the only reason I give Horse Ranch a pass on being as shallow as it was) and their recent track record with EPs suggest they'd go more broad than deep if they were to do a death EP.

I'm not a fan of Parenthood at all to be honest.
    But What I'm talking about is more about the theme itself. For example, vampires, werewolves and realm of Magic are perfect game packs to me cause they focus on one system. While Dream Home Decorator feels like a stuff pack theme (like Moschino) and to go big with it, real estate should have been at least there. And for My wedding stories, the theme of wedding is too narrow when it's a very big part of people's lives: it could have been a whole love Expansion (with attraction system, upgraded dating system, more wedding themes for build/buy, and of course a better way to handle divorce). I don't know if you see what I'm meaning with an expanding theme but to me huge themes like Love, Death, Growth shouldn't be restricted to a Game Pack cause it's limiting their full potential imo.
  • Options
    crocobaura wrote: »

Actually, I think a system that's not very in depth would be preferable. There would be less room for errors and bugs and random stuff that don't make sense passing for AI.

I don't want a "in depth system", I just want a theme that can be developed deeply. Get Famous is the perfect example of a deep system without too much problem (except that trademark/brand perk bug and the reputation bug at launch). They managed to include everything we need to play as a celebrity (even if the world is tiny). Deep doesn't mean a complex system but rather a complete system.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »

I'm not a fan of Parenthood at all to be honest.
    But What I'm talking about is more about the theme itself. For example, vampires, werewolves and realm of Magic are perfect game packs to me cause they focus on one system. While Dream Home Decorator feels like a stuff pack theme (like Moschino) and to go big with it, real estate should have been at least there. And for My wedding stories, the theme of wedding is too narrow when it's a very big part of people's lives: it could have been a whole love Expansion (with attraction system, upgraded dating system, more wedding themes for build/buy, and of course a better way to handle divorce). I don't know if you see what I'm meaning with an expanding theme but to me huge themes like Love, Death, Growth shouldn't be restricted to a Game Pack cause it's limiting their full potential imo.

So what you want is broad, rather than deep. You want a whole bunch of associated systems and themes that go along with death and the afterlife, rather than exploring one system in the theme (in this case, funerals and death services) deeply.

I think this was just a matter of linguistics getting in the way. :)
  • Options

I don't want a "in depth system", I just want a theme that can be developed deeply. Get Famous is the perfect example of a deep system without too much problem (except that trademark/brand perk bug and the reputation bug at launch). They managed to include everything we need to play as a celebrity (even if the world is tiny). Deep doesn't mean a complex system but rather a complete system.

I currently have no NPCs in my game because I have my game set to not gain fame automatically. That's a pretty big bug if you ask me as it affects all NPCs and makes community lots unplayable. I have no idea why these two systems would even be linked and cause errors. Instead of new systems, I would prefer they just stick to simple, object based gameplay for a while. In TS4 they seem to design everything in an over complicated way that often seems to fall short of it's intended outcome. In TS2 we could designate apartments with just a door, move sims in and out with no issues. In TS4 it's "complicated". They could use the time and resources to give us gameplay objects that have been long requested by the community like spiral stairs and pool table and strollers for babies. I think they could add a lot of stuff and new gameplay for the funeral and death theme without adding a new system. New lot type for cemetery, funeral wreaths for flower arranging table, maybe a stone carving skill to make tombstones and statues, a pottery skill to make urns and other stuff, new party type for funerals or memorials, add some more gameplay to ghosts and stop them from having physicals needs, etc. it really doesn't need to be too complicated.
  • Options
    OccultmasterOccultmaster Posts: 125 Member
    With Gamepacks it's either a Hit or Miss, All The Occult Ones are really well done and All The More Mundane Ones tend to be either poorly executed or a buggy mess, I feel like a Death GP would be one of the Better Ones since it would also technically be an Occult pack with a Grim Reaper themed skill tree.
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited February 2
    I don't think ghosts' needs should be static. Just the opposite, actually. I like the idea of needs/stats for ghosts being varied, based on how they died. Though sim ghosts don't have physical bodies, they are beings with thoughts, feelings and some level of psychological trauma if they died too soon (not of old age), so psychosomatic (or I guess psychological, as they have no nervous system) needs should also count.

It makes sense for a sim who died from hunger, to get hungry more often as a ghost, or one who died from exhaustion to get tired faster. They didn't get that motive met in life, so it is a defining feature in death.

Could also work with other things too, like a sim that froze to death might autonomously switch to cold weather clothes one thermometer level earlier when the temp is only cool, because they feel colder than other sims.

• Options
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    I don't think ghosts' needs should be static. Just the opposite, actually. I like the idea of needs/stats for ghosts being varied, based on how they died. Though sim ghosts don't have physical bodies, they are beings with thoughts, feelings and some level of psychological trauma if they died too soon (not of old age), so psychosomatic (or I guess psychological, as they have no nervous system) needs should also count.

It makes sense for a sim who died from hunger, to get hungry more often as a ghost, or one who died from exhaustion to get tired faster. They didn't get that motive met in life, so it is a defining feature in death.

Could also work with other things too, like a sim that froze to death might autonomously switch to cold weather clothes one thermometer level earlier when the temp is only cool, because they feel colder than other sims.

Well, the way I see it, they are dead and no longer have a physical need for actual physicals food or drink. They might want to taste it or they might have a bad or pleasant memory related to food and react accordingly, but they would not feel hunger. If they died of hunger, maybe they will have that memory of being hungry and will show up whenever there is cooking in the house and they might react happily around the food. Maybe they will protect the food from getting spoilt if left on the counter too long. And if they try to eat it it should be like Bonehilda's drinks and spill on the ground. And actually being able to interact with the physical world and touch and move objects around should probably be a skill they need to learn.
  • Options
    Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    I would like funerals or memorials, also like in Sims 2 the Sims relatives got an inheritance especially with how high or low the relationship was, I like in Sims 3 when a sim died the friends or even neighbors acknowledge that the sim has passed and the paid their respects also your sim can do the same as well pay their respects which k thought was a lovely interaction in the Sims 3 they should bring it in the Sims 4 also cemetery and mausoleum.
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member
    I would hope by expansion we can create ghost by create a sim and finally have ghost babise.

I think funerals are good too.
  • Options

I currently have no NPCs in my game because I have my game set to not gain fame automatically. That's a pretty big bug if you ask me as it affects all NPCs and makes community lots unplayable. I have no idea why these two systems would even be linked and cause errors. Instead of new systems, I would prefer they just stick to simple, object based gameplay for a while. In TS4 they seem to design everything in an over complicated way that often seems to fall short of it's intended outcome. In TS2 we could designate apartments with just a door, move sims in and out with no issues. In TS4 it's "complicated". They could use the time and resources to give us gameplay objects that have been long requested by the community like spiral stairs and pool table and strollers for babies. I think they could add a lot of stuff and new gameplay for the funeral and death theme without adding a new system. New lot type for cemetery, funeral wreaths for flower arranging table, maybe a stone carving skill to make tombstones and statues, a pottery skill to make urns and other stuff, new party type for funerals or memorials, add some more gameplay to ghosts and stop them from having physicals needs, etc. it really doesn't need to be too complicated.

It's not a get famous bug, it's a setting bug. It affects all pack settings (I have no NPCs in game when I disable animal aging and animals still age; the For rent no event setting is also not working and when I disable event, all my other settings are "off" even if they're "on"). The settings in general are messed up imo, it's not just get famous
  • Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,877 Member
    Not interested, it’s too morbid for me.
  • Options
    ArcaArca Posts: 183 Member
    Why not adding the new occult "Grim Reaper"?
  • Options
    Dianesims wrote: »
    Not interested, it’s too morbid for me.

ok...
  • Options
    OccultmasterOccultmaster Posts: 125 Member
    Arca wrote: »

Sounds like a great Idea, you can even have a skill tree like Vampires, Spellcasters and Werewolves.
  • Options
    Arca wrote: »

Sounds like a great Idea, you can even have a skill tree like Vampires, Spellcasters and Werewolves.

I feel like they'll nerfed it too much...and the game kinda implemented Grim like he's on a gig whenever someone die so it looks more like a job than an occult form. Also, if it's not a new occult, the other occults could be a Grim Reaper.
  • Options
    dreamprisonerdreamprisoner Posts: 1,221 Member
    edited March 9
    Grim and Ghosts have been needing a makeover since the base game.

There is no reason to summon Grim. Everyone knows people want to romance him and use him for offspring - yet his genetics are not only boring but broken. They should give him proper genetics to have creepy children. I want an omen child.

And/or like you say, make it a career. Maybe not so simple as phoning up for the job, but something you work up to by growing a death flower, collecting a certain amount of graves and having a good relationship with a reaper.

I watched Marticore's video on Sims 2 ghosts/zombies and it reminded me of 'problem sims'. I'd love another option to ressurect sims but with a warped personality like in pet cemetary.

Meanwhile, Ghosts are just transparent sims. They shouldn't have normal needs and normal jobs. Maybe a smaller number of unique needs, like 'energy' that can only be taken from electricity (making lights flicker or breaking appliances) or by draining sims energy (makes the sim ill, and if done too regularly can lead to death) or emotions (removes their moodlets. If done too often, can give the sims a permanent numb trait where they find it difficult to feel anything).

Dead sims - ghosts and zombies could have a 1-3 special careers only, like haunting, psychic's assistant, quality checker, crash test dummy, etc.

Give them more individualistic powers and quirks for the different causes of death. And make them scarier overall, give them more creepy and distrurbing animations and interactions.

Perhaps grim reaper sims can have babies with ghost sims. They need a special ghost woohoo - flying bed.
    Post edited by dreamprisoner on
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,977 Member
    I’d love a new cemetery lot and to be able to have funerals. I’m not really into a Grim reaper career, but I could see a career working at a mortuary. I’m not into mummy’s and Zombies. I just kind of want something as simple instead of real complicated.
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,937 Member
    A pretty interesting find I discovered today.

If your sim has Paranormal Investigator License, they can ask Grim Reaper to join the Soul Reaper Society. There are two responses he can give, both say that there are no spots available:
    Hah! Sorry kid, no open positions right now, but I like your moxie!
    Ah, you remind me of myself when I was your age. Sorry kid, no openings for the foreseeable future.

While for me it might be a sign that no, do remember that Paranormal stuff pack was released in 2021, so plans may have changed...
  • Options
    EgonVM wrote: »

If your sim has Paranormal Investigator License, they can ask Grim Reaper to join the Soul Reaper Society. There are two responses he can give, both say that there are no spots available:
    Ah, you remind me of myself when I was your age. Sorry kid, no openings for the foreseeable future.

While for me it might be a sign that no, do remember that Paranormal stuff pack was released in 2021, so plans may have changed...
    EgonVM wrote: »

oooooooh this is very interesting indeed...can't wait for what's next to come (let's see what the next roadmap has to offer already)