Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Thoughts about a Death Expansion Pack?

Hello everyone,

So yes, I'm pretty sure this theme won't really be in the game but I'm still curious about your thoughts if we ever get a WHOLE expansion about Death.

New Careers:
- Grim Reaper (Freelancer)
- Mortician/Undertaker
- Therapist/ Grief Counselor: Active career

New Skills:
- Reaping Skill (if the skill is too low, chances are reaping souls won't work and the sim who is supposed to die won't :D )
- Crafting Skill (This can include Pottery with Ceramic, Glass Fabrication, and Marble Work) which can include urns and coffins too

New Lot type:
-Graveyard/ Cemetery with special events depending on the Moon Phase (can be disabled in the game options for people who don't play with occults)

New Occults:
- Mummies or Zombies or Both (why not, depending on the reaping skill I guess?)
- Create Ghosts in CAS + Possessions with various effects on the possessed Sims depending on the ghost's type

- With the new lot, a new lot event may be implemented (zombies crawling out their tombs, hauntings, temporary curses, etc...) depending on the moon phase or the traditions from the Seasons Expansion Pack if the player has it (Of course as I said earlier, it should be an option only).

Deaths:
- Other emotions can kill the Sims (Death by Fear like in the Sims 2, Death by Boredom -which gives the fun need a purpose-, Death by Extreme Sadness)
- No second chance (Death on 1st strike: option to enable in the game options): I'm kinda tired of having no surprise in the game when it comes to death, I always have a warning (even the fastest death, death by meteorite, gives a warning). But if players don't want their sims to die on the 1st strike, it should be an option in the game.

New Social Event:
- Funerals

I don't think a new world is necessary so they can really work on more details (well a secret/hidden lot would be nice though). Also, I'm more of an occult player so I see it more with occult gameplay in mind but maybe you have something on the more "realistic" side of the theme?

What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Totally here for everything except Mummies/Zombies, but I know some people would like that...

I want the Mortician career and funerals and wakes.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    OceancatOceancat Posts: 21 Member
    Personally I would love a whole expansion pack about death, although I think it would be a more likely game pack. A whole new world probably wouldn't make a ton of sense, but it would be cool to have a hidden world that you could only travel to upon witnessing a death that would have ghosts of dead sims and some lore about the grim reaper. Adding more depth to the ghosts is more important to me than adding a new occult and maybe they could have their own skill tree like werewolves and vampires. Funerals should be a base game update in my opinion-many think that they are just as important as weddings.
  • Options
    jomilejjomilej Posts: 191 Member
    Oceancat wrote: »
    Personally I would love a whole expansion pack about death, although I think it would be a more likely game pack. A whole new world probably wouldn't make a ton of sense, but it would be cool to have a hidden world that you could only travel to upon witnessing a death that would have ghosts of dead sims and some lore about the grim reaper. Adding more depth to the ghosts is more important to me than adding a new occult and maybe they could have their own skill tree like werewolves and vampires. Funerals should be a base game update in my opinion-many think that they are just as important as weddings.

I think Ghosts don't really need a skill tree, but rather more powerful abilities linked to their specific death. Their needs also need an overhaul imo, like, them needing to eat, sleep, and go to the toilet is kind of ridiculous.
    I agree that something needs to be base game but knowing EA, they would certainly add cemeteries as part of the pre-release update and would keep the social event in the pack (however, I would love a base game update adding funerals, there's just no lot specified to it, that's why I think they would never add that in base game). They could also go with the "we updated the base game to include new emotional deaths" and lock cemeteries/graveyards and funerals behind the pack
  • Options
    Totally here for everything except Mummies/Zombies, but I know some people would like that...

A death pack is the only theme I can see Zombies being added to the game at this point; Except if they make an entire Game Pack about them, which I'll be totally okay with; If they're in a Game Pack, it's guaranteed to be great (until now, we got pretty strong occult Game Packs so I'll be happy if they separate death and zombies)
  • Options
    Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 786 Member
    I would love to have a game pack about death and funerals. We could build graveyards and funeral homes, and we should also be able to create a holiday based on Day of the Dead.
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • Options
    I would love to have a game pack about death and funerals. We could build graveyards and funeral homes, and we should also be able to create a holiday based on Day of the Dead.

Oh? Just a game pack? I feel like they would add really small features if it's a game pack...like just the lot and funerals, with maybe one career. Death is such a large theme, I would have put it in the Expansion pack category...mmmh, or maybe you're right, they would give us only funerals and that's it :s
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,937 Member
    One question:

What would be the point of morticians when the Grim Reaper turns dead sims into urns/tombstones? What would they do?

The "No Second Chance" thing sounds interesting, though I'd call it "Unexpected Deaths". Right now, Death by Murphy bed is truly this kind of death. The changes it would make though I'd see as these:
    • Meteor death wouldn't need changes, as sims won't run inside on their own. That could really happen on its own if player is distracted on something else. However, I'd make it so that if Unexpected Deaths is turned off or if that sim is an NPC, they'll run indoors on their own.
    • Electrocution: Certain emotions/moodlets hold a chance to immediately kill sims.
    • Steam: Sims that are in the same room as a sauna object (that's being used) will also get closer to death.
    • Poison: Getting poisoned more will shorten the time your sim has to get cured before they die (like it was with Guinea Pig disease in The Sims 1).
    • Lightning: Same as Electrocution.
    • Spellcaster Overload: Initial overload should hold a small chance of death if your sim is in certain moods.
    • Murphy Bed: This one, if the option is turned off, sim needs to be injured for a chance to be crushed to death. Close Call immediately results in death.
    • Flies: Increase the chance with each food dish your sim has. Add more if the food is spoiled.
    • Vending Machine: Initial crushing has a small chance to kill, Battered and Bruised has medium chance to kill, and Close Call always kills if the vending machine decides to crush a sim.
    • Falling: Removes the injury requirement.
    • Stink Capsule: Low hygiene holds a chance of immediate death.
    • Urban Myth: Being in Terrified emotion will kill sims should they fail.

Of course I'd suggest the injury system to be improved with previous content too. For now, only Snowy Escape and Werewolves activities contribute to injuries. After all, one lesser known fact is that your sim actually doesn't need to be crushed twice by a vending machine to die as should they get Close Call moodlet from somewhere else (let's say snowboarding fails) and then get crushed, they'll die without having been crushed before.
    Some activities that could contribute to injuries from previous packs and base game:
    • Rocket ship crash
    • Electrocution
    • Fire
    • Treadmill fails
    • Dance move fails (Get Together)
    • Water Slide fails (Backyard)
    • Basketball fails (City Living)
    • Human sim fighting against a vampire (Vampires)
    • Bowling trick fails (Bowling)
    • Rock Climbing Wall fails (Fitness)
    • Jungle dangers (Jungle Adventures)
    • Temple activation fails (Jungle Adventures)
    • Lightning (Seasons)
    • Risky stunt fails (Get Famous)
    • Barely escaping from water garden (Get Famous)
    • MP Fight Fail (StrangerVille)
    • Being pulled underwater (Island Living)
    • Spellcaster Overload (Realm of Magic)
    • Soccer injury (Discover University)
    • Too much robotics fails (Discover University)
    • Keg Stand Fails (Discover University)
    • Murphy Bed Crushing (Tiny Living)
    • Attacked by Flies (Eco Lifestyle)
    • Fabrication Machine Rebellion (Eco Lifestyle)
    • Rabbit/Chicken attack (Cottage Living)
    • Being thrown off a horse (Horse Ranch)
    • Being kicked by a horse (Horse Ranch)
    Though yes, the more things that can cause injuries there are, the more common does death by vending machine becomes though...
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    jomilej wrote: »

A death pack is the only theme I can see Zombies being added to the game at this point; Except if they make an entire Game Pack about them, which I'll be totally okay with; If they're in a Game Pack, it's guaranteed to be great (until now, we got pretty strong occult Game Packs so I'll be happy if they separate death and zombies)

Yeah, I just really, really, really don't want any in my save, personally. A pack that forced them on me (no off button, no way to avoid them) would be one I'd have to wait for a "no zombies" mod for or be the first pack I nope out on completely.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options

Yeah, I just really, really, really don't want any in my save, personally. A pack that forced them on me (no off button, no way to avoid them) would be one I'd have to wait for a "no zombies" mod for or be the first pack I nope out on completely.

I think they'll be like Mermaids and Aliens if they are in a game pack. Aliens are only triggered if you certain objects in the game and Mermaids are basically non existent if you don't call for them. But if they ever make a Zombies Game Pack, it better be really good with walking options (I don't want the sims 3 walk for zombies lol)
  • Options
    edited January 6
    EgonVM wrote: »
    One question:

What would be the point of morticians when the Grim Reaper turns dead sims into urns/tombstones? What would they do?

The "No Second Chance" thing sounds interesting, though I'd call it "Unexpected Deaths". Right now, Death by Murphy bed is truly this kind of death. The changes it would make though I'd see as these:

Morticians are basically the ones organizing the funerals but in a Sims 4 style gameplay, it should be a work from home career not an active one, so the responsibilities could be very different from the Grim Reaper. But if it works like a freelancer or an active job, we could have something like this job description:
    - Preparing the funerals (the ceremony). Also, maybe they'll be the ones turning tombstones into coffins or transfer the ashes from the base game urns to custom urns? And once they burry the coffin, they can change the Sim's tombstone into a custom one (these custom urns and tombstones could be crafted through the new skill)...but if the family has a mausoleum/crypt, maybe they would have the possibility to keep the coffin on a pedestal instead of turning it into a tombstone (depending on the families' budget, it could be something like that)?

- Meeting with clients to explain services and make the funeral, cremation and interment arrangements

- Providing clients with pricing information and preparing contracts

And also, yes, I need more unexpected Deaths. Especially electrocution and Fire. The RocketShip crash should bring death too, my sims never died even after many crashes
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    I'd actually be pretty cool with this. I'd also like it if Funerals/Memorial services just show up on a sim's calendar 2-3 (1-2 on short lifespan, 5-7 on Long/aging off) days after a sim they have either a familial or strong relationships with (not just accquantainces, but I'd allow for negative friendships so your sim can go gloat) die, though they'd be optional to go to, like graduation. The trick is that they'd have to run autonomously, which could end up looking something like the classroom situation in High School Years.

This could probably ... maybe fit in a Game Pack rather than needing a full Expansion, but I'm not sure.

Though I'm with Luthienrising on Zombies need to have an off/opt-in switch. They're my least favorite humanoid supernatural creature (because they aren't villains, they're monsters.)
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,937 Member
    EgonVM wrote: »
    One question:

Morticians are basically the ones organizing the funerals but in a Sims 4 style gameplay, it should be a work from home career not an active one, so the responsibilities could be very different from the Grim Reaper. But if it works like a freelancer or an active job, we could have something like this job description:
    - Preparing the funerals (the ceremony). Also, maybe they'll be the ones turning tombstones into coffins or transfer the ashes from the base game urns to custom urns? And once they burry the coffin, they can change the Sim's tombstone into a custom one (these custom urns and tombstones could be crafted through the new skill)...but if the family has a mausoleum/crypt, maybe they would have the possibility to keep the coffin on a pedestal instead of turning it into a tombstone (depending on the families' budget, it could be something like that)?

- Meeting with clients to explain services and make the funeral, cremation and interment arrangements

- Providing clients with pricing information and preparing contracts

And also, yes, I need more unexpected Deaths. Especially electrocution and Fire. The RocketShip crash should bring death too, my sims never died even after many crashes

I see. Thanks for answering.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    I never liked Zombies, not even in my old Sims 3 game. However, I wouldn't mind Mummies being in Sims 4. I would want the Mummies to be a lifestate. After all, sims should have their Mummies. Lol :D:p;)
  • Options
    PandoraTOPandoraTO Posts: 438 Member
    I think a death-themed zombie game pack might be the only occult-focused GP I'd want to buy, actually. I don't own any of the occult GPs, even though I probably "should" at least want vampires in my game, based on my love of What We Do in the Shadows and my former Anne Rice obsession. I'm not sure why I'm so uninterested in playing the existing occults (except aliens, which I do play once in a while) or even seeing them in my game. I don't even have Strangerville because the notion of possession turns me off so much. (That and the military theme. And being forced to play through a storyline.) But zombies in a death-themed pack? That could be interesting, especially if it also improves ghosts. I would like it even more it if it were a full EP with a new world. Maybe a swampy world like the bayou in Left 4 Dead 2.
    Gallery ID: PandoraTO
  • Options
    haisinhaisin Posts: 948 Member
    The only thing I'd want is better ghosts.
  • Options
    OccultmasterOccultmaster Posts: 125 Member
    A Grim Reaper Career would be great, in some of my Game Saves, Grim does have biological children, would be great for them to follow in the family tradition.
  • Options
    GracieO312GracieO312 Posts: 1,292 Member
    I would love this - I would really like a Netherworld complete with lava rivers and lavafalls. I just think that would look amazing in TS4.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    I might be interested in an underworld theme with a hellfire and brimstone kind of deal.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I would like funerals, wills and some gameplay around the subject. I already have a cemetary but that could be enhanced. I would also want a bit more gameplay for elders. I also think they can always add more life events.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    AlanSimsAlanSims Posts: 713 Member
    If this were to be made, I hope it comes with a nice world like Midnight Hollow.
  • Options
    BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,186 Member
    Definitely not a fan. Too much death in my real world to want it in Sims. However if a gamepack then I can not purchase so if it is actually a popular choice then it is what it is.

Instead of funerals though I prefer Celebrations of Life. Basically a party with family and friends.
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • Options
    jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    Game Pack would be enough for me. Though they've had a history of going light on the EPs, I honestly can't see them filling out an EP with things relating to death/funerals/etc.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Options
    RedShoe7RedShoe7 Posts: 705 Member
    AlanSims wrote: »
    If this were to be made, I hope it comes with a nice world like Midnight Hollow.

Yes, yes, yes!
  • Options
    Bluegayle wrote: »
    Definitely not a fan. Too much death in my real world to want it in Sims. However if a gamepack then I can not purchase so if it is actually a popular choice then it is what it is.

Instead of funerals though I prefer Celebrations of Life. Basically a party with family and friends.

ok :)
  • Options
    jcp011c2 wrote: »
    Game Pack would be enough for me. Though they've had a history of going light on the EPs, I honestly can't see them filling out an EP with things relating to death/funerals/etc.

What bothers me with game packs for themes like this is that it's always the bare minimum like Dream Home Decorator, My Wedding Stories...And I feel like they wouldn't go as deep as they could.