Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

RENE IS NOT SIMS 5

We need to stop calling it that. It is clear with the latest BTS that this game will be a spinoff similar to Life Stories for Sims 2 or Sims Medieval.

Calling it Sims 5 is just going to make more and more people upset when we start learning more information on this game. It's better to settle expectations now.

Comments

• Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member
    No it is Sims 5.How is this a spin off? Because they have multiplayer or because they said at the beginning sims 4 is not going to be done with content.
    Every sims iteration is different.2,3 or 4 are not the same games
  • Options
    sam123sam123 Posts: 4,539 Member
    No it is Sims 5.How is this a spin off? Because they have multiplayer or because they said at the beginning sims 4 is not going to be done with content.

Lyndsay made reference in the stream to how Rene will be she mentioned the spin off games. They are tempering expectations now so we should assume this will not be TS5.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited September 2023
    We don't officially have enough information to assume that yet. However,I never thought project rene was going to be a sims 2+3+4 combination that most want. I believe it is going to be sims but with a brand new take on it. Every game is different and it's unbelievable to think a company would not want their product to reflect modern style games rather or not we like it.
    I personally think it's going to be traditional style sims with packs and DLC and game play but also multi-player/ mobile style gaming. At least that's what it sounds like so far.
    Could turn out good or bad depending how it's done. But I think adding a lot of basic things to base game like weather is the right move to make because that is sort a problem with sims4. I feel like the devs are limited because of how split up basic things are in packs. Like cities and apartments being the selling point of City living limits us from getting it in future packs. I still want a better city and better apartments.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    ChungyChungy Posts: 36 Member
    I'm half-expecting it'll be The Sims 76. The amount of uncertainty and confusion surrounding the game just reminds me of how Fallout fans felt with Fallout 76.
    Tune into Chungytoon on YouTube - a community for a variety of gaming and internet shenanigans including content from The Sims franchise.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited September 2023
    The Sims Mobile is not The Sims FreePlay 2 but both are main mobile games.

So The Sims 4 and Project Rene could repeat this same scheme.
  • Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,401 Member
    edited September 2023
    I think Rene still is the "next generation" Sims game because they keep calling it that. But it's the next generation AND something different (pseudo spin-off) at the same time if that makes sense. It's both spiritually the fifth Sims game but also a standalone live-service game that could just be called "The Sims" (without any numbering).
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    Katofhyrule12Katofhyrule12 Posts: 719 Member
    I don't think there will ever be a Sims 5. I think Sims 4 is the last game of this type of game.
  • Options
    Sarah26CatSarah26Cat Posts: 169 Member
    I think Rene still is the "next generation" Sims game because they keep calling it that. But it's the next generation AND something different (pseudo spin-off) at the same time if that makes sense. It's both spiritually the fifth Sims game but also a standalone live-service game that could just be called "The Sims" (without any numbering).

Exactly, How many other spin-offs have dlc? There was I think one, maybe two to the Sims Medieval. But most Spin-off games don't sell near well enough to get DLC. This one is supposed to be Free, so they are putting all of their money on its DLC selling.

They may never name it Sims 5, but to its players I think it will be.
  • Options
    Aeroprincess87Aeroprincess87 Posts: 6,417 Member
    edited September 2023

I agree that I do believe it is Sims 5. EA isn't confident it will take off like they thought it would when they started making the game with no competition. Now that Life by You and Paralives are a thing, both with growing potential fan based, they are keeping Sims 4 afloat as a life raft in case they need it to scramble and regroup. But it's definitely supposed to be the Sims 5.
    Post edited by Aeroprincess87 on
  • Options

I agree that I do believe it is Sims 5. EA isn't confident it will take off like they thought it would when they started making the game with no competition. Now that Life by You and Paralives are a thing, both with growing potential fantasies, they are keeping Sims 4 afloat as a life raft in case they need it to scramble and regroup. But it's definitely supposed to be the Sims 5.

Right, there's definitely a financial component to this given how much Sims 4 is still making money.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,576 Member
    It's Sims 5 but it's not the end of Sims 4. They'd be foolish to end Sims 4 and move to Rene when it's main selling point is taking a franchise primarily played as solo player and making it a multiplayer(which doesn't interest me at all).
  • Options
    celipoesiascelipoesias Posts: 433 Member
    Project Rene is The Sims 5. They just won't call the game that because the business model is changing, and they'll abandon the numbering.

They have already referred to Project Rene as the future of The Sims, the next generation. So it's pretty evident that, in some ways, it's The Sims 5.

The Sims 4 became the best-selling game in the franchise and with the largest player base in history, either because the base game is free, but also because the game is available on consoles. It's a very large audience.

It wouldn't be smart for them to abandon The Sims 4 considering its audience, and also the fact that Project Rene will start without all the content we currently have in The Sims 4. There are 9 years of content, and an audience that spans PC and Consoles.

The audience and content created is much larger than in previous generations, making it not worth abandoning a game with so much content released to start all over again in a new game.

Catharina Mallet, General Manager at Maxis, said that its games can last up to 15 years. I take this as a clear insinuation that The Sims 4 could be this long.

Project Rene will probably be released between 2025 or 2026, by which time The Sims 4 will be around 11/12 years old.

It is very likely that when Project Rene is released, they will continue releasing content for The Sims 4 for at least three years.

Three years of simultaneous releases is enough to make Project Rene a strong and attractive game, to show what it came from, and also the strength of its content, and then, yes, to finish The Sims 4.

tenor.gif
  • Options
    I don't want to be annoyingly repetitive with my grim prediction. But I do not think a Sims 5 will be possible. The Sims must adapt to the operating systems and hardware that will be available.

I think Rene is coming out a LOT sooner than we were expecting. I think Sims 4 will remain supported until Windows breaks it for "security" reasons. Until the last announcement, I thought Rene would be delayed until closer to the breaking of Sims 4. Now that we have been told that they will overlap and that Rene will be free and not so great at the beginning, I expect Rene to be released soon. Maybe very soon.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I don't want to be annoyingly repetitive with my grim prediction. But I do not think a Sims 5 will be possible. The Sims must adapt to the operating systems and hardware that will be available.

I think Rene is coming out a LOT sooner than we were expecting. I think Sims 4 will remain supported until Windows breaks it for "security" reasons. Until the last announcement, I thought Rene would be delayed until closer to the breaking of Sims 4. Now that we have been told that they will overlap and that Rene will be free and not so great at the beginning, I expect Rene to be released soon. Maybe very soon.

Wow that was GRIM 😂. But what you mean by Sims 5 won't be possible?
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    Sarah26CatSarah26Cat Posts: 169 Member

She did say "Year ahead" in that one quote about showing the multiplayer gameplay. Not "Years," as previous guru's have done. It's possible that with LBY and Paralives, the bosses at EA whipped their employees, and its gotten pushed ahead a lot more quickly. It would explain why they stressed a lot of features will not be in it from the start.

Of course Maxis will want to avoid the whole Sims 4 incompleteness, if you asked me. I mean updates are fine, but when they include such fundamental features as an entire life stage... That's bad. Will anyone listen to me, probably not. But I did tell you all.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Sarah26Cat wrote: »

She did say "Year ahead" in that one quote about showing the multiplayer gameplay. Not "Years," as previous guru's have done. It's possible that with LBY and Paralives, the bosses at EA whipped their employees, and its gotten pushed ahead a lot more quickly. It would explain why they stressed a lot of features will not be in it from the start.

Of course Maxis will want to avoid the whole Sims 4 incompleteness, if you asked me. I mean updates are fine, but when they include such fundamental features as an entire life stage... That's bad. Will anyone listen to me, probably not. But I did tell you all.

I caught onto that as well. When Lyndsay said in the "year ahead" singular. This is peculiar.
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    At this point if they push out Rene unfinished with things like missing life stages no personalities or cars would that surprise anyone really what pack has not been incomplete and shallow besides Get Together which was pushed back and became the strongest expansion for it.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,096 Member
    Reaction to the stream is clearly mixed, with some still convinced it is Sims 5, but it didn't come across that way to me at all.

She made it sound like a separate thing that will work with a Sims game or games (coexist was specifically the word she used). It will be free to download, so all players will be able to use it.

They may choose to call it Sims 5, but based on the description, I doubt it. Something like Sims Sidecar sounds more appropriate.

Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options

Sorry. I was trying to be as brief as possible. I really don't want to be annoying to people and I think I have crossed that line with a lot of people. Microsoft has been making a lot of changes. I think they plan to make Windows a subscription like they made Office a subscription. And other changes that they will claim are for "security" reasons. I think it will become increasingly difficult to play games like Sims on Windows. I think only subscription type games will work on a subscription operating system. I don't think EA wants to make the changes that they are making any more than we want the changes. I think they know more than they can reveal to us.

I caught onto that as well. When Lyndsay said in the "year ahead" singular. This is peculiar.

There was some interesting behavior, body language, and voice tones in the video. I do not want to name anyone, but I am on high alert. And when we are unhappy with what I expect to happen, we need to be very careful not to attack EA unless we know for certain that they are the ROOT of the changes.

• Options
    Coconut27Coconut27 Posts: 860 Member
    I don't think there will ever be a Sims 5. I think Sims 4 is the last game of this type of game.

if this is the case then I am so so disappointed and will most likely stick with TS3 for as long as possible and also try out LBY, etc to see if they are another alternative. All I ever wanted from The Sims franchise was a rework of TS3 with better optimization to run on today's hardware and to have a mix with the CAS details/updates like TS4 offers. I also really really wanted a TSM 2, so them mentioning/comparing Rene to it as a reference really hurt :D
  • Options
    celipoesiascelipoesias Posts: 433 Member
    Coconut27 wrote: »

if this is the case then I am so so disappointed and will most likely stick with TS3 for as long as possible and also try out LBY, etc to see if they are another alternative. All I ever wanted from The Sims franchise was a rework of TS3 with better optimization to run on today's hardware and to have a mix with the CAS details/updates like TS4 offers. I also really really wanted a TSM 2, so them mentioning/comparing Rene to it as a reference really hurt :D
    I think all of these features will be available eventually in Project Rene. I think it's still too early to draw conclusions from something we've barely seen. What little was shown, especially the visuals of the objects, seem to have better graphics than in The Sims 3/4.
    tenor.gif
  • Options
    Coconut27Coconut27 Posts: 860 Member
    I totally get not having a set idea of what it is, but we are going off of what Lyndsay said herself, it's not just speculation. She compared renee to several The Sims spin offs, which is why people have this new perception of Project Rene.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member

Sorry. I was trying to be as brief as possible. I really don't want to be annoying to people and I think I have crossed that line with a lot of people. Microsoft has been making a lot of changes. I think they plan to make Windows a subscription like they made Office a subscription. And other changes that they will claim are for "security" reasons. I think it will become increasingly difficult to play games like Sims on Windows. I think only subscription type games will work on a subscription operating system. I don't think EA wants to make the changes that they are making any more than we want the changes. I think they know more than they can reveal to us.

There was some interesting behavior, body language, and voice tones in the video. I do not want to name anyone, but I am on high alert. And when we are unhappy with what I expect to happen, we need to be very careful not to attack EA unless we know for certain that they are the ROOT of the changes.

This logic does not hold water. Games does not have to be subscription based. And PC gaming is an enormously large market. They will not kill it off.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek