The final, special edition of the Friday Highlights has been posted here. Take a trip down memory lane with us.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Pets don’t notice each other

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I have a household that I've been playing and they have a big dog and a cat. They interact with each other and appear to play together, even having hearts appear above them. Once, they tried eating at the same time and got into a fight, but that was just once. In another household, a cat attached the butlers pant leg. I don't know why but she does have the spoiled trait. You couldn't see anything as dust cloud covered it up.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Does make no sense to me as I see a lot of people saying their pets interact and so have all of mine that I've had so far, even with other dogs/etc in the park and stuff.. So it's definitely a personal experience, maybe to do with your pets traits? Maybe it would help if they had contrasting or complimenting traits to eachother?

Perhaps the dogs in my scenario share one similar trait- troublemaker.

My cats in a different household interact more and certainly get into more mischief, I know they don't share any traits because they are based off my real life cats.
  • Options
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    I have a household that I've been playing and they have a big dog and a cat. They interact with each other and appear to play together, even having hearts appear above them. Once, they tried eating at the same time and got into a fight, but that was just once. In another household, a cat attached the butlers pant leg. I don't know why but she does have the spoiled trait. You couldn't see anything as dust cloud covered it up.

LOL! I do think cats are "better" in this iteration. My frisky cat is very naughty.
  • Options
    JimG72JimG72 Posts: 1,161 Member
    edited November 2017
    Ok, tested this out with the mod on to see what's going on and here's what I found:

Pets have several available interactions between each other...and have more interactions available when they are adults. This is from the adult dog and cat in my original testing household:

The cat can yowl at the dog, watch the dog, investigate the dog, pet talk to the dog, give a neutral interaction or play with the dog. If they have a neutral or bad relationship, there is a mean interaction too (which is the hissing)....when I added a new puppy to the household, the cat could be mean to the puppy...might also come up if the cat is in a bad mood, not sure about that.

67ZbE0n.jpg

Meanwhile, the dog has options to watch the cat, be friendly to the cat, pet talk with the cat, nuzzle the cat, and play with the cat. Again, if they had a neutral or bad relationship or he was in a bad mood, he'd probably have an option to bark at the cat too.....he has the option to bark at the new puppy.

iBi77dY.png

I've already seen them interact a lot together on their own so I didn't need to test that part out....they are the two up above as a puppy and kitten that were nuzzling and eating out of the same dish. I then tested out the adoption process and figured out what's going on there with the new pet additions to households. I adopted a puppy and after making the final decision to adopt this puppy, he started by autonomously going around the house and introducing himself to the other humans (his owners) in the house...there is a vocal greeting. He started by introducing himself to the girl first (see the task in his queue):

qTVRYGy.jpg

As he was about to do this, I checked out the adult dog and he already had a full set of interactions available with the puppy despite never having interacted with the puppy before:

rxwKlNE.jpg

As the puppy was greeting the girl, the adult dog autonomously started barking at him....notice the adult dog has a bark task in his queue with a picture of the puppy...this just after the adoption....the adult dog has already "noticed' the new puppy:

oP9V8c7.jpg

The puppy then continued to slowly make the rounds, autonomously introducing himself to the toddler and the mom. This didn't happen instantly but relatively short in time after the adoption:

vCQUbWF.jpg

I then added another puppy directly from CAS to see what would happen....basically the same thing....the introductions to family members were a little slower....I started to think that part was skipped for directly added pets as opposed to adopted ones, but before long, the new puppy did the initiate greeting with the little girl in the house.

By contrast, when a pet encounters another animal that is not part of the household, they start off with only an option for an "introduction" to the other animal. I took the adult dog to the dog park to test this and, as you can see, they have to "meet" the other animal to be able to interact.

72RQanc.jpg

I went back and re-did the test household without the other family members...just the 1 sim and the adult dog and cat and then adopted a puppy to see if there were any pet household introductions that maybe I just hadn't gotten to the first time around because the puppy hadn't gotten that far in making the rounds. Nope...there are no household pet greetings or introductions between each other (no moodlet for meeting a new household pet either)...they have access to their normal interactions right away. The puppy immediately went over on his own and started obsessing about the toilet....the adult dog autonomously came over to bark at him:

C6WGjt8.jpg

While he was getting barked at, the puppy got an autonomous task in his queue to play with the cat:

8zUAMXu.jpg

This canceled out because the cat went outside to scratch the bench in the backyard...after a few seconds, the puppy autonomously decided to bark at the adult dog and bolted out of the bathroom to go bark at him:

GEXYaKu.jpg

Conclusions:

Pets notice each other and interact. Pet interactions vary depending upon whether they have a good, bad or neutral relationship with the other animal...these interactions can begin as soon as a new pet is added to the household. There is a specific introduction/greeting for pets with an animal outside of their household. Within the household, the pets do not have a specific introduction or greeting between each other. By design, a new pet to the household, whether by adoption or added through CAS/CAP, will go around introducing itself to its new owners...but not the other household pets. Also, some pet interactions may get canceled out before occurring because the other animal goes off and does something else.

• Options
    JimG72 wrote: »
    Ok, tested this out with the mod on to see what's going on and here's what I found:

Pets have several available interactions between each other...and have more interactions available when they are adults. This is from the adult dog and cat in my original testing household:

The cat can yowl at the dog, watch the dog, investigate the dog, pet talk to the dog, give a neutral interaction or play with the dog. If they have a neutral or bad relationship, there is a mean interaction too (which is the hissing)....when I added a new puppy to the household, the cat could be mean to the puppy...might also come up if the cat is in a bad mood, not sure about that.

67ZbE0n.jpg

Meanwhile, the dog has options to watch the cat, be friendly to the cat, pet talk with the cat, nuzzle the cat, and play with the cat. Again, if they had a neutral or bad relationship or he was in a bad mood, he'd probably have an option to bark at the cat too.....he has the option to bark at the new puppy.

iBi77dY.png

I've already seen them interact a lot together on their own so I didn't need to test that part out....they are the two up above as a puppy and kitten that were nuzzling and eating out of the same dish. I then tested out the adoption process and figured out what's going on there with the new pet additions to households. I adopted a puppy and after making the final decision to adopt this puppy, he started by autonomously going around the house and introducing himself to the other humans (his owners) in the house...there is a vocal greeting. He started by introducing himself to the girl first (see the task in his queue):

qTVRYGy.jpg

As he was about to do this, I checked out the adult dog and he already had a full set of interactions available with the puppy despite never having interacted with the puppy before:

rxwKlNE.jpg

As the puppy was greeting the girl, the adult dog autonomously started barking at him....notice the adult dog has a bark task in his queue with a picture of the puppy...this just after the adoption....the adult dog has already "noticed' the new puppy:

oP9V8c7.jpg

The puppy then continued to slowly make the rounds, autonomously introducing himself to the toddler and the mom. This didn't happen instantly but relatively short in time after the adoption:

vCQUbWF.jpg

I then added another puppy directly from CAS to see what would happen....basically the same thing....the introductions to family members were a little slower....I started to think that part was skipped for directly added pets as opposed to adopted ones, but before long, the new puppy did the initiate greeting with the little girl in the house.

By contrast, when a pet encounters another animal that is not part of the household, they start off with only an option for an "introduction" to the other animal. I took the adult dog to the dog park to test this and, as you can see, they have to "meet" the other animal to be able to interact.

72RQanc.jpg

I went back and re-did the test household without the other family members...just the 1 sim and the adult dog and cat and then adopted a puppy to see if there were any pet household introductions that maybe I just hadn't gotten to the first time around because the puppy hadn't gotten that far in making the rounds. Nope...there are no household pet greetings or introductions between each other (no moodlet for meeting a new household pet either)...they have access to their normal interactions right away. The puppy immediately went over on his own and started obsessing about the toilet....the adult dog autonomously came over to bark at him:

C6WGjt8.jpg

While he was getting barked at, the puppy got an autonomous task in his queue to play with the cat:

8zUAMXu.jpg

This canceled out because the cat went outside to scratch the bench in the backyard...after a few seconds, the puppy autonomously decided to bark at the adult dog and bolted after the bathroom to go bark at him:

GEXYaKu.jpg

Conclusions:

Pets notice each other and interact. Pet interactions vary depending upon whether they have a good, bad or neutral relationship with the other animal...these interactions can begin as soon as a new pet is added to the household. There is a specific introduction/greeting for pets with an animal outside of their household. Within the household, the pets do not have a specific introduction or greeting between each other. By design, a new pet to the household, whether by adoption or added through CAS/CAP, will go around introducing itself to its new owners...not the other household pets. Also, some pet interactions may get canceled out before occurring because the other animal goes off and does something.

Thank you for going to the the trouble to test that out.

My dog must have skipped the introduction sequence for whatever reason. I really, really wish I could see their needs without a mod. I don't want to control them I just want to see their information.

My scenario was tested using my Husbands gaming rig, it's well above requirements for the game as is my rig so I'm confident it's not that at play. Thanks again.
  • Options

My dog must have skipped the introduction sequence for whatever reason. I really, really wish I could see their needs without a mod. I don't want to control them I just want to see their information.

Not sure how it's programmed in....but it's definitely not a linear process. In the first example, after the puppy greeted the little girl, there were other things going on for a little bit before the puppy then did the greeting with the boy....then some other stuff happened...then he did the greeting with the mom. With the puppy I added through CAS/CAP, several things occurred before that puppy did the greeting with anyone...like I mentioned, I was starting to think that the CAS/CAP added pets don't do the greetings. So it's a little unclear exactly how and when it gets triggered in the process....it may only happen if that sim doesn't interact with the new pet first, not sure. For the puppy, it was basically just howling at the sim, almost as if seeking attention, which could easily be overlooked as being something else.
  • Options
    Cynna wrote: »

What I do seem to notice in this EP is a lot of division of interactions. It's true that cats and dogs are very different animals. However, they do have some things in common, like destructive qualities before training. I wonder why one animal was granted that quality and not the other. Dogs are notorious for the need to chew on anything that they can get their teeth on. But that trait was ignored?

Keep in mind, there are always things that can be added down the road. Toddlers couldn't bite until the Parenthood GP came out. Kids and toddlers couldn't make messes until Parenthood came out either. There are always budgetary limitations to how many things can be added in one pack. I'm guessing they gave cats the ability to scratch furniture just to give them something else to do since dogs can learn tricks, go on walks, etc. So, as far as destruction, I think it was probably more a situation of giving something for cats to do as opposed to ignoring dogs. I'd expect more stuff to be added for these pets in future content.