Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Pets don’t notice each other

MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
I am really trying to appreciate this EP as it was a gift but it’s difficult.

My household has a german shepherd. All fine and good, I decided to adopt a dog in game. Adopted a German Shepherd puppy. That was on Monday in game. It’s now Friday in game and the adult dog and puppy haven’t interacted once. Not once.

Adult dog has the friendly, trouble maker and smart trait. Puppy has the troublemaker, sleuth and hairy traits.

I thought it was bad enough a fundamental behaviour was left out (chewing) but another dog coming into the home and the current dog doesn’t care? Doesn’t acknowledge it’s existance to the point where it’s like it doesn’t realise it’s there?

This is where a UI showing pet relationships would come in handy EA. At the very least. It’s extremely immersion breaking watching “the most realistic dogs ever” ignore each other and act like the other doesn’t exist.

And I know there are some very laid back dogs in real life who wouldn’t mind another dog coming into the home, I’m not meaning if they mind or not I mean them noticing in the first place.
I’m not expecting them to be best friends but I find it bizarre they are oblivious of each other.

Comments

• Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,321 Member
    I am really trying to appreciate this EP as it was a gift but it’s difficult.

My household has a german shepherd. All fine and good, I decided to adopt a dog in game. Adopted a German Shepherd puppy. That was on Monday in game. It’s now Friday in game and the adult dog and puppy haven’t interacted once. Not once.

Adult dog has the friendly, trouble maker and smart trait. Puppy has the troublemaker, sleuth and hairy traits.

I thought it was bad enough a fundamental behaviour was left out (chewing) but another dog coming into the home and the current dog doesn’t care? Doesn’t acknowledge it’s existance to the point where it’s like it doesn’t realise it’s there?

This is where a UI showing pet relationships would come in handy EA. At the very least. It’s extremely immersion breaking watching “the most realistic dogs ever” ignore each other and act like the other doesn’t exist.

And I know there are some very laid back dogs in real life who wouldn’t mind another dog coming into the home, I’m not meaning if they mind or not I mean them noticing in the first place.
    I’m not expecting them to be best friends but I find it bizarre they are oblivious of each other.

All I can say is download the playable pet mod . Have them talk to each othere ? Maybe that would trigger an reaction ?
  • Options
    RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    Maybe it depends on the pet, I have two cats that fight one another and dogs that follow each other around I just added a raccoon and a fox to a house and the little racoon nuzzled both of them.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    cynclacyncla Posts: 1,117 Member
    I only have a few pets but they notice other animals . so maybe it does just depend on the pet.
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    This EP really does seem to be a mystery. There are so many different experiences, I don't know what to make of it.

Still, with dogs, even if their traits make them averse to another pet in the household, IRL, there is usually some kind of reaction, even if it's deliberate avoidance. Such as getting up and leaving whenever the new pet comes close, or warning it off. No response at all seems pretty odd.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    I guess I was expecting the kind of reaction toddlers have in game to a new sibling.(That is a well done interaction) But to have the pet stroll through the door and walk past and the other dog do nothing and not even stand up just seems unrealistic.
  • Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    For testing purposes...? Wait until the puppy ages up. I'm curious if they interact once the puppy becomes an adult.

There's two possibilities here:

1) Pet AI is terriawful.

2) Puppy design is terriawful.

People have ranted about how puppies have absolutely NOTHING to do, and it's possible that puppies could be responsible for a lack of interaction here, too. It's also possible that pets in general just barely interact with each other, so that's why I'd use this situation to test the hypothesis with the puppy as your variable. If this changes once he ages up, we know puppies are especially bad in this game. If it doesn't, then we can assume this is a general issue, or at least has entirely different causes.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Options
    For testing purposes...? Wait until the puppy ages up. I'm curious if they interact once the puppy becomes an adult.

1) Pet AI is terriawful.

People have ranted about how puppies have absolutely NOTHING to do, and it's possible that puppies could be responsible for a lack of interaction here, too. It's also possible that pets in general just barely interact with each other, so that's why I'd use this situation to test the hypothesis with the puppy as your variable. If this changes once he ages up, we know puppies are especially bad in this game. If it doesn't, then we can assume this is a general issue, or at least has entirely different causes.

Puppies are terrible in this game. Take it from someone who is looking at 8 puppies chasing each other right now in real life. Puppies are absolute garbage in game. So many missed opportunities but that’s another thread for another time.
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    I haven't experienced that. I put a dog and cat in the same household to test the pack and the two couldn't leave each other alone. They'd chase each other through the house, talk and even show affection.
  • Options

1) Pet AI is terriawful.

Puppies are terrible in this game. Take it from someone who is looking at 8 puppies chasing each other right now in real life. Puppies are absolute garbage in game. So many missed opportunities but that’s another thread for another time.

My baby animals were chasing each other around constantly then falling asleep XD
  • Options
    06Bon06 wrote: »
    I haven't experienced that. I put a dog and cat in the same household to test the pack and the two couldn't leave each other alone. They'd chase each other through the house, talk and even show affection.

But did they do that right away? Like from the moment they met? Thats what I’m referring to. I just find my situation weird.
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I'm confused. All this talk of puppies being crap yet at the same time everyone's trying their best to breed puppies!
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    calaprfy wrote: »
    I'm confused. All this talk of puppies being plum yet at the same time everyone's trying their best to breed puppies!

And I’m happy for them. I am. I personally don’t like puppies in game as I find them boring, unrealistic and an empty shell. In real life I breed dogs. I have a current litter of pups that haven’t left Mum yet. Already these pups are exploring, playing with each other and rough housing, learning social cues from each other and their parents. Chewing, putting everything and anything into their mouths. When they had to go to the bathroom they go there and then. They sleep a lot, some are very mischievous. There’s two who are determined to climb the stairs, we have a few who love to dig in the sandpit and one who is way too interested in the goldfish pond so can’t be left unsupervised.

Pups in the sims 4? In my experience run about, sleep and eat. No chewing, no biting, no rough housing and no destroying the sims houses or even messing the floor with toilet accidents. It’s not realistic. I like the cats in game but I’m really disappointed by dogs and puppies.

Edit to add: I’m also disappointed that a lot of the behaviours I mention like chewing and being destructive are in previous games. I expected the sims 4 to improve that.
  • Options

But did they do that right away? Like from the moment they met? Thats what I’m referring to. I just find my situation weird.

Yup. It was a new household and the minute I pressed play the pets walked to each other. Then the cat ran off because she is adventurous. When she came back, I took both inside and they just constantly interacted. At one moment the puppy even liked the kitten's face which was so precious because that's what our dog does when the cat isn't too grumpy.
  • Options
    I'm confused. All this talk of puppies being plum yet at the same time everyone's trying their best to breed puppies!

And I’m happy for them. I am. I personally don’t like puppies in game as I find them boring, unrealistic and an empty shell. In real life I breed dogs. I have a current litter of pups that haven’t left Mum yet. Already these pups are exploring, playing with each other and rough housing, learning social cues from each other and their parents. Chewing, putting everything and anything into their mouths. When they had to go to the bathroom they go there and then. They sleep a lot, some are very mischievous. There’s two who are determined to climb the stairs, we have a few who love to dig in the sandpit and one who is way too interested in the goldfish pond so can’t be left unsupervised.

Pups in the sims 4? In my experience run about, sleep and eat. No chewing, no biting, no rough housing and no destroying the sims houses or even messing the floor with toilet accidents. It’s not realistic. I like the cats in game but I’m really disappointed by dogs and puppies.

Edit to add: I’m also disappointed that a lot of the behaviours I mention like chewing and being destructive are in previous games. I expected the sims 4 to improve that.

If you want I can run a test with a few pups and see how they react. The one I have in my full household loves the toddler and is always running around, playing with the toys and seems pretty much like my dog was when she was a pup.
  • Options
    DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 775 Member
    edited November 2017
    What I'm yet to understand is why is there so many differences between players for a singular 101 feature: baby pet interactions. Some see interactions, while some don't.
  • Options
    JimG72JimG72 Posts: 1,161 Member

That hasn't been my experience at all. In my first game where I was testing everything out, I had a puppy and kitten in the house and they were best buds and constantly interacted. They would talk to each other (from testing the pet control mod there is an interaction called "pet talk"), especially when everyone else was sleeping....they would rub noses with each other....eat together out of the same dish:

T0xrecF.jpg

When I started up my regular game, I had an adult dog and cat in the house....the dog likes the cat and constantly follows her around and chases her playfully....the cat hates the dog and hisses at him and jumps up on her cat condo and stares down at him.

Then I moved my sim out of that house and he got married and had his own puppy and kitten in his new house. The puppy constantly follows the kitten around and tries to be friendly to him and watches what the kitten is doing....the kitten doesn't like the puppy and hisses at him pretty much anytime he gets too close:

retXBA8.png
    I guess I was expecting the kind of reaction toddlers have in game to a new sibling.(That is a well done interaction) But to have the pet stroll through the door and walk past and the other dog do nothing and not even stand up just seems unrealistic.

When I was testing out that mod, I saw some sort of item pop into a dog's queue like "meet new pet" or something like that...it was autonomous and there wasn't much too it....if I wasn't able to switch to control of the dog with the mod, I wouldn't have even noticed it happen. I have to disagree about the toddler reaction to new sibling though....all they do is look at the crib for a couple of seconds and then randomly get a happy or sad moodlet...there's no real interaction at all. The pets have moodlets, which you can see with the mod. I'll test this out with the mod and see if they get any sort of moodlet for a new household pet.
  • Options
    JimG72 wrote: »

That hasn't been my experience at all. In my first game where I was testing everything out, I had a puppy and kitten in the house and they were best buds and constantly interacted. They would talk to each other (from testing the pet control mod there is an interaction called "pet talk"), especially when everyone else was sleeping....they would rub noses with each other....eat together out of the same dish:

T0xrecF.jpg

When I started up my regular game, I had an adult dog and cat in the house....the dog likes the cat and constantly follows her around and chases her playfully....the cat hates the dog and hisses at him and jumps up on her cat condo and stares down at him.

Then I moved my sim out of that house and he got married and had his own puppy and kitten in his new house. The puppy constantly follows the kitten around and tries to be friendly to him and watches what the kitten is doing....the kitten doesn't like the puppy and hisses at him pretty much anytime he gets too close:

retXBA8.png

When I was testing out that mod, I saw some sort of item pop into a dog's queue like "meet new pet" or something like that...it was autonomous and there wasn't much too it....if I wasn't able to switch to control of the dog with the mod, I wouldn't have even noticed it happen. I have to disagree about the toddler reaction to new sibling though....all they do is look at the crib for a couple of seconds and then randomly get a happy or sad moodlet...there's no real interaction at all. The pets have moodlets, which you can see with the mod. I'll test this out with the mod and see if they get any sort of moodlet for a new household pet.

So cute! I didn't know they could eat from the same bowl
  • Options
    IcewolfIcewolf Posts: 709 Member
    My pets have been noticing each other many times. My cat always hisses at my dog, something she did already when the dog was a puppy. But I do feel the whole interaction thing could have been handled better.

And about puppies/kittens, they have never been able to do a lot of things in the past expansion packs. They were mostly a cute thing. I do wish they would have fleshed out them in this version though.
  • Options

If you want I can run a test with a few pups and see how they react. The one I have in my full household loves the toddler and is always running around, playing with the toys and seems pretty much like my dog was when she was a pup.

That is very cute. The toddler interactions are cute, I will give the game that. The toddler makes the pets really happy. You don’t have to do that thank you. I don’t think pets can be destructive. Well cats can but pups and dogs not so much lol
  • Options

That is very cute. The toddler interactions are cute, I will give the game that. The toddler makes the pets really happy. You don’t have to do that thank you. I don’t think pets can be destructive. Well cats can but pups and dogs not so much lol

I was wondering if anyone with mod saw any interaction for dogs to destroy furniture.
  • Options
    JimG72 wrote: »

T0xrecF.jpg

retXBA8.png

Well I love the fact that toddlers acknowledge they have a sibling even if it’s just looking at the baby in the crib. That’s a first for the series I do believe as previously kids were always indifferent or happy. It’s interesting pets had an interaction like that in their queue. I was and still am surprised my dog had no reaction to the puppy when it walked in. It took about two sim weeks for the adult dog to acknowledge the younger dog. It growled at it when they were eating. Lol. They do their own things though still even now.

I don’t have the control pets mod in game, my game has been a little buggy since yesterday’s patch without any mods so trying not to add in any more.
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited November 2017

What I do seem to notice in this EP is a lot of division of interactions. It's true that cats and dogs are very different animals. However, they do have some things in common, like destructive qualities before training. I wonder why one animal was granted that quality and not the other. Dogs are notorious for the need to chew on anything that they can get their teeth on. But that trait was ignored?

Btw, I so want to be your neighbor right now. Eight puppies? That's amazing. :D I could watch them all day long.

I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    Cynna wrote: »

What I do seem to notice in this EP is a lot of division of interactions. It's true that cats and dogs are very different animals. However, they do have some things in common, like destructive qualities before training. I wonder why one animal was granted that quality and not the other. Dogs are notorious for the need to chew on anything that they can get their teeth on. But that trait was ignored?

Btw, I so want to be your neighbor right now. Eight puppies? That's amazing. :D I could watch them all day long.

I agree, I miss the pups and dogs being destructive as it added an extra layer of challenge and it was realistic! I have a dog in the sims 2 that has destroyed 3 couches.

I think they maybe ignored it because the chewing/ biting stage is not fun and maybe people wouldn’t want to be replacing furniture in game so making them cute was more important.

I was taken aback in game when my cat was raiding the bin and making a mess. Not seen a dog do that yet. I don’t think they can. My “trouble maker” dog is angelic!

My neighbours luckily love the dogs. Because we have a huge ugly floor to ceiling window, kids like to walk by and try and see if any of the pups are at the window. But because they eat the the curtains they don’t sit still for long. We have ten pups (two were sleeping when I wrote my post) and Mum and Dad. Our cats are very patient :D
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    edited November 2017
    I don't understand why everybody say that their pets don't interact. Mine always interact.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    CoteDAzurCoteDAzur Posts: 610 Member
    Does make no sense to me as I see a lot of people saying their pets interact and so have all of mine that I've had so far, even with other dogs/etc in the park and stuff.. So it's definitely a personal experience, maybe to do with your pets traits? Maybe it would help if they had contrasting or complimenting traits to eachother?