Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

For Rent Negative thread

Comments

• Options
    Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,169 Member
    edited November 2023
    I saw on Facebook that they're adding 5 new traits which sounds nice but one of them is the 'cringe' trait...
    It's the most 'How do you do, fellow kids' trait I've ever seen.
  • Options
    PandoraTOPandoraTO Posts: 485 Member
    Omri147 wrote: »
    I saw on Facebook that they're adding 5 new traits which sounds nice but one of them is the 'cringe' trait...

In other words, the Cringe trait is... cringe? :D
  • Options
    PandoraTO wrote: »
    Omri147 wrote: »

In other words, the Cringe trait is... cringe? :D
    Well, yes...
  • Options
    LeucosiaXLeucosiaX Posts: 1,861 Member
    Cringe caters to trolling and so gen Z language. Like I find most of the aspects of the pack, breaking and entering, blackmailing, extorting, black mole, quite unpleasant. How is this the marketing strategy?
    It's like trolling simmers for buying whatever they put out.
  • Options
    PhilSimsPhilSims Posts: 190 Member
    edited November 2023
    Cringe - have an inward feeling of acute embarrassment or awkwardness.
    Not sure where trolling comes in or why associated with Gen Z...
  • Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,459 Member
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    I am a bit disappointed about the city feeling. I was hoping for a new urban environment like city living with large buildings. This looks more like a town, not a city. It looks nice but we could do with another real city in the game at this point.

I think, a world with focus on building your own apartment blocks cannot consist of skyscraper shells.
  • Options
    PandoraTOPandoraTO Posts: 485 Member
    LeucosiaX wrote: »
    Cringe caters to trolling and so gen Z language. Like I find most of the aspects of the pack, breaking and entering, blackmailing, extorting, black mole, quite unpleasant. How is this the marketing strategy?
    It's like trolling simmers for buying whatever they put out.

I think those things might be the most dramatic aspects of the pack, and therefore they almost had to be showcased in the first trailer, which is supposed to generate chatter. Personally, I could use some more drama in my game. But I'd be surprised and disappointed if these things add up to "most" of what's in the pack. I want an actual EP's worth of content this time, darn it!

Going back to the discussion of Cringe, I wonder how it's translated into different languages. It probably isn't translated literally when it's used in this slang sense. Maybe it's translated as "embarrassing," "shameless" or "oblivious." If anyone knows what the Cringe trait is called in different languages, I'd love to know!
  • Options
    MarteziaKingMarteziaKing Posts: 277 Member
    As I read through this thread, I noticed that a lot of you guys want to an option to turn off the mold/fungus to prevent the new death from happening, especially since this is a health hazard in real life. I'm excited for this death (it reminds me of a certain video game) but I agree that there should be an option to turn it off. Same thing with breaking and entering, another aspect that I'm excited for. 👍
    ♥ I know I left several months ago, but I'm well aware that these forums are closing soon and I have no intention of joining the new forums either at the moment - I wish everyone the best of luck until we meet again. ♥
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    cringe is usually used to describe someone who invokes cringe feelings like a gen zer would say This person is cringe or being cringe or a cringelord.

I know I'm in the wrong group if I have to consult with the urban dictionary to follow, (my mind always notes):

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Cringe

Cringe
    When someone acts/ or is so embarrassing or awkward , it makes you feel extemely ashamed and/or embarrassed.
    "Hey that guy over there is cringy"
    "Are you kidding Francis is the definition of cringe!"
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/FAVlURTNtiA?si=2wZdQR_b0uYUHQj8

they show this pelvic thrust dance move as the cringe trait in cas
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,532 Member
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    I am a bit disappointed about the city feeling. I was hoping for a new urban environment like city living with large buildings. This looks more like a town, not a city. It looks nice but we could do with another real city in the game at this point.

I think, a world with focus on building your own apartment blocks cannot consist of skyscraper shells.

Interesting way to look at it. I suppose in such a setting we would have ended up with penthouse lots to build on. Hopefully we can get a second more urban world at some point.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,572 Member
    cringe is usually used to describe someone who invokes cringe feelings like a gen zer would say This person is cringe or being cringe or a cringelord.

I know I'm in the wrong group if I have to consult with the urban dictionary to follow, (my mind always notes):

Cringe
    When someone acts/ or is so embarrassing or awkward , it makes you feel extemely ashamed and/or embarrassed.

Don't other generations feel embarrassment anymore or what?
  • Options
    PhilSimsPhilSims Posts: 190 Member
    I'm far away from Gen Z and I use cringe in my vocabulary. Used it only last week chatting with my friends when I had to stop watching a video: "... had to turn off after about 10 seconds due to the cringe factor 😬"
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/FAVlURTNtiA?si=2wZdQR_b0uYUHQj8

they show this pelvic thrust dance move as the cringe trait in cas

Thanks, I hate it.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,829 Member
    My husband said cringe the other day (we're in our 30s) and I told him I think it's cringe to say cringe now according to kids today. Who knows! Cringe is a word that has existed long before Gen Z got ahold of it though.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,063 Member
    Cringe is practically universal, even I use it. But the term itself has a stranglehold on the younger generations like you wouldn't believe. Kids absolutely love using the word. The trait's depiction will likely be what younger people see as cringe, such as using outdated memes unironically and IRL.

Which I love tbh. But that's mostly because I live with a tween. She and her friends use the word so much that it's embedded into my soul, along with sus, sussy and baka.
    🐲🐲🐲🐲
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
    🐲🐲🐲🐲
  • Options
    LSM36LSM36 Posts: 593 Member

Cringe

This isn't like a huge deal but Millienials came up with the term cringe. Like not the original word, which would be the physical action from evoking an emotion of fear, shame, embarrassment, etc. But the colloquial term that came out in the 2010s, yeah that was us. I'm what would be called a zennial, Millienial still born in the generation with memories of said generation, but at the end, and my younger siblings are Gen Z. It's not people their age who were going around calling everything cringe. They're doing it now, with variations. And calling Millienial's it too.

But like before that wasn't "cringey" what they called things in movies in the 90s are stuff. Like you can't blame Gen Z for this. This is the most Millineal thing in this pack. Especially using the dab as the example.
    Check out my posts in the Ideas corner, and see the Simsverse living inside my head. :blush:
  • Options
    FatTribble23FatTribble23 Posts: 848 Member
    I find the explanations of cringe very elucidating and amusing. To me, "cringe" is something you do in fear, like cringing away from the nurse about to give you shot. I've never heard it used to describe awkwardness. But then I'm a baby boomer/Gen X cusper, so that's to be expected.

As for dabbing, I'd never seen or heard of it until I saw one of the last MCU movies where Professor Hulk does it. I had to ask my son "what the flip is he doing??" and he explained it to me.

I think we boomers/Gen Xer's already had a perfectly good word for this: Dorky. :smiley:

But I think the trait looks promising. I'm not sure I could live with a sim with the trait, but I might assign it to some townies and sit back and enjoy.
    HcmCUds.jpg
    Life needs an undo button.
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,928 Member
    edited November 2023
    crocobaura wrote: »

Cringe

Don't other generations feel embarrassment anymore or what?

If the emblematic word for Gen Z is "cringe," then the word for Gen X is "whatever."

The kids do often seem to use cringe in the context of things that are awkward or embarrassing partly because they are too earnest, too enthusiastic, too over-the-top, etc. Gen Xers are just too darned apathetic to be cringe; we don't care enough to be embarrassed. (Countdown to a Gen Z'er telling me that sarcasm is also cringe... and if so, like, whatever.)
  • Options
    MarteziaKingMarteziaKing Posts: 277 Member
    edited November 2023
    I hope that the cringe trait isn't too "cringey". 🫠
    ♥ I know I left several months ago, but I'm well aware that these forums are closing soon and I have no intention of joining the new forums either at the moment - I wish everyone the best of luck until we meet again. ♥
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 9,166 Member
    edited November 2023
    I find the explanations of cringe very elucidating and amusing. To me, "cringe" is something you do in fear, like cringing away from the nurse about to give you shot. I've never heard it used to describe awkwardness. But then I'm a baby boomer/Gen X

being born right between Millenials and Gen Z +not being american is so weird cause I understand a thing but not the other thing or only understand thing partly

cringe seems reasonable enough to me as kind of synonym for uncool awkward or embarrassing like i tend to cringe in second hand embarrassment a lot

the same way you'd say ouch if someone ran into a glass door in front of you id cringe if someone was doing something "cringe" in front of me

or the same way millenials used to *facepalm* in ye olde days

as for dabbing though no clue what that means where it came from and who is doing it

these types of trends usually just make me feel like ancient vampire who is out of touch with the youth

well that is if i even know the trend exists

luckily we have received information that dabbing is cringe so maybe I never needed to know what this trend is
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    EleriEleri Posts: 583 Member
    edited November 2023
    Simmingal wrote: »
    2. are we not going to get proper burglars with proper burglar attire, big sacks of items, burglar alarms and police catching them? is it just another random crop top girl taking my stuff? I demand the burglars stick to the dresscode at very least
    Look on the bright side. You're finally vindicated in your long-held horror and suspicion of crop tops. Crop tops will steal your TV!
    g01denswan wrote: »
    I hope there is a way to avoid or turn off the death as I spend a lot of time creating and skilling up my sims so don’t want them to die.
    The death is caused by excess mold. I assume if you keep your bathroom clean it won't be a problem.
    -No, my almost-elderly mother, I don't think it's a good time for you to try for a baby.
    -Yes, person I barely know, you have my blessing to hang out with Johnny Zest.
    -No person with the mean, hot-headed and self-absorbed traits, I don't think you should get married.
  • Options
    g01denswang01denswan Posts: 1,033 Member
    edited November 2023
    So if I have 4 households living in a fourplex, I don’t need to worry about my other 3 households dying from the new death if I keep the bathroom of my 1 active household clean? Won’t the other 3 households be living their lives as well?
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 9,166 Member
    edited November 2023
    Eleri wrote: »
    Simmingal wrote: »
    2. are we not going to get proper burglars with proper burglar attire, big sacks of items, burglar alarms and police catching them? is it just another random crop top girl taking my stuff? I demand the burglars stick to the dresscode at very least
    Look on the bright side. You're finally vindicated in your long-held horror and suspicion of crop tops. Crop tops will steal your TV!
    Detective : What can you tell us about this thief who broke into your apartment? Is there anything in particular we should look out for?

Simmingal: ... She was wearing a crop top

Detective: You do realize thats like half the town 🫠

Simmingal: It was extraordinarily upsetting crop top
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    nasch_katzenasch_katze Posts: 196 Member
    Not exactly a negative comment but why do they keep evading the "how many families per lot" questionnnnnnnnnnnnnn they even went out of their way to say "we can't answer this yet" aaaaaaaa I hope there's a good reason for this but the fact they can't straight up answer or say something along the lines of "don't worry" is far from reassuring, having few families could potentially be a deal breaker not gonna lie