May 23rd - It's time for a new Laundry List! You can read more on what's coming next here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Re-starting a Current Save from Scratch

Brd709Brd709 Posts: 2,114 Member
It may be time for me to start up a whole new save. This means saving all my simself's children and their families and their houses to my library and importing them in to the new save.

We've all been in this position at some point but if i did this, this would cause some continuity errors in my ongoing story for example:

- How do i explain to Dan Bheeda that his dead parents are back living at their apartment in San Myshuno after all this time?
- My simself's dead son Tommy's widow Miki Akiyama will be a child again
- Liberty Lee as a young adult back living with Summer Holiday and a resurrected Travis Scott. Liberty Lee in my current save is the mother to 8 of my sim self's children.

You could say these things are easy to explain in a story and are easy to brush under the carpet. I've done it before in my current save where sims have died and i have re-created them once they have been culled or released to the Netherworld.

My sim self's son's Tommy and Andrew are dead in my current save so will the family tree recognise dead sims from a previous save in a new save?

How have you handled situations like this when starting a new save and using sims from a previous save?

Comments

• Options
    MrPlumbobMrPlumbob Posts: 339 Member
    @Brd709

Have you considered deleting the sims that died in your other save? All of the premade sims are under the my households screen, and can be deleted from there.

I've never started a new save that continues from a previous one, but I have copied sims between saves before. In the case where I have the same sim in two different saves, I usually just think of it as completely separate from my other save.

As for the family tree, I'm not sure it will even transfer at all to a new save, except for the sims in the household. (I've never played a family with aging on long enough to even have a family tree, so im not sure about that. Maybe it does transfer?) I do know sims don't retain their relationships with each other outside of the household when transfering to a new save. (For example, an aunt/uncle/grandma/grandpa that lives In a different household wont be related to the main family if they're downloaded from the gallery/library) If you use mods, you can set the relationships with other households using MCCC. If you don't use mods, you'll need to combine the households (provided there are 8 or less sims) into one in cas, set their relationships, and then separate the household once you're in live mode.

I hope this helps
  • Options
    cynciecyncie Posts: 4,700 Member
    edited October 2023
    I had to do this once when my old computer died and I had to continue my game on a new one. Of course, in a new save, all external relationships were lost, but it’s an easy fix to cheat them back in with the modify relationship cheat. So, I aged up anyone who needed it and cheated the old relationship back in. With sims who had died, I just deleted them or edited them into someone else in manage households. If they need to be ghosts, you can use MCCC to “kill” them. I don’t track family trees, so I’m no help there. A few relationships with special NPCs were lost (Father Winter, Grim), and I’m still working on recovering those, but otherwise, it worked out fine and having a fresh start on the world was actually beneficial.
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 7,090 Member
    Like above suggestions, simply delete the "too young" or "should not be alive" doppelgängers of the sims.
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..
    My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    StarfreeStarfree Posts: 1,462 Member
    @Brd709 those are good suggestions. Or you could go the Multiverse route & play it as an alternate reality; set in the same time period but things happen(ed) differently (ie people didn't die, your simself never married liberty, etc.).
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 7,090 Member
    Oh, interesting route, @Starfree :) "What if I would of chosen differently?" Would we still end up to same conclusion, just by different path
    (Like in movie "Sliding Doors" )
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..
    My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,954 Member
    Why is it necessary to start a new save? What problems are you having?

My save is from 2018 and I've never restarted it. It's changed computers and I've had errors that I've had to troubleshoot and fix, but luckily it's been able to survive everything so far.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Starfree wrote: »
    @Brd709 those are good suggestions. Or you could go the Multiverse route & play it as an alternate reality; set in the same time period but things happen(ed) differently (ie people didn't die, your simself never married liberty, etc.).

I did think of something similar. With Arun and Jasminder Bheeda it could just be a simple 'i thought you were dead' running gag or with Miki and Tommy they separated, divorced and eventually fell in love and got married again in the new save.
  • Options
    Lenny_OggLenny_Ogg Posts: 3,696 Member

When you save your Sims from your current save in the gallery, then all the dead are already dead and you won't save them in the gallery anyway - or do I get it wrong?

I agree with @haneul . My save is the only save I use since 2014. I would try to fix it first if there were problems. Since I think that family trees and relationships get lost when you load sims from the gallery. That happened to me at least. Or I did it wrong ^^'
    I also have backup saves should anything go wrong. Better safe than sorry 🤕

58e829f5e80c627cf3eb4fc2205a8ba466277fae.jpg
    d70aead6bd57d9113e587b03ecffce84b09267d0.jpgThe Boys 2 - Therapy Game 🛺 A Dramedy 🚶🏼🚶🏻🚶🏽🚶🏽 The Boys 🥇 Their first year - A Dramedy 🚀 Lost In Space - A Space Opera 🐎 The Stables - A Horse Drama
    🎁 Best of Buydebug ☃️ Short trips to the Oggiverse - Short Clips 🎬 My Builds: Houses 🏘 Rooms 🛋 SciFi 👾 creatively edited Screenshots 🎨
  • Options
    StuffyMarxStuffyMarx Posts: 330 Member
    I don't envy your position. The last time I did a full start-over, I just began from scratch. I didn't import anyone, but I did grab a few of the more interesting buildings and plop them here and there.
    I suppose in your position, you could just draw a line in the sand and say "this is my base game state here", so anyone alive at that point would be migrated to the new save, and anyone dead would not make the cut. That's probably how I'll do it next time I want to make a fresh start. Having said that, how fresh is the start if you're dragging over the old baggage from previous saves? Maybe a blank slate is the best option. Tabula Rasa that save, @Brd709 !
    I'm not sure how memories are handled when you import a Sim, I don't know if they are preserved when you import a sim. My guess is they aren't, otherwise all these other players Sims (in the gallery) would have really weird recollections you can't identify.

Tabula Rasa was a terrible MMO, by the way.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    StuffyMarx wrote: »
    I don't envy your position. The last time I did a full start-over, I just began from scratch. I didn't import anyone, but I did grab a few of the more interesting buildings and plop them here and there.
    I suppose in your position, you could just draw a line in the sand and say "this is my base game state here", so anyone alive at that point would be migrated to the new save, and anyone dead would not make the cut. That's probably how I'll do it next time I want to make a fresh start. Having said that, how fresh is the start if you're dragging over the old baggage from previous saves? Maybe a blank slate is the best option. Tabula Rasa that save, @Brd709 !
    I'm not sure how memories are handled when you import a Sim, I don't know if they are preserved when you import a sim. My guess is they aren't, otherwise all these other players Sims (in the gallery) would have really weird recollections you can't identify.

Tabula Rasa was a terrible MMO, by the way.

I don't think i could start over, looking at my original sim self in a test save recently i couldn't go through starting again. Since i started this current save in February 2021 i've got attached to his family and they have a huge history in the current save i couldn't part with. He has 12 children spread over three marriages and i just couldn't wipe all of those just like that.

I'm currently thinking up explanations for how missing sims or dead sims are suddenly back alive in their worlds. You could say it's kind of a reboot of a TV programme where little details get retconned or brushed under the carpet with no explanation at all.

When i started this save i started it in the year of 1979 and just got to 1999 last week. So you could my current save got 'Millennium Bugged'