Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is EA Getting Competition...or is it EA?!

Comments

• Options
    LadyJesterLadyJester Posts: 606 Member
    @Mchap353 I think they said on their twitter that they arent related to that game.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    LadyJester wrote: »
    @Mchap353 I think they said on their twitter that they arent related to that game.

Can they still call it VIE if that title was used then? Not sure on copyright rules.
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,757 Member
    Mchap353 wrote: »
    To7m wrote: »
    Mchap353 wrote: »
    @aricarai There apparently, is a Vie game published in 2010 according to IGN

http://uk.ign.com/games/vie/web-70912

VIE: Virtual Island of Entertainment is an online playground for adults that provides a mature audience the opportunity to escape and indulge in exclusive shopping, fun entertainment, intriguing and mysterious episodic adventures -- and, if they so choose, intimate encounters.

Release Date: August 2010

Genre: Persistent Online Adventure

Publisher: enVie Interactive

Developer: enVie Interactive

So the copyright is already held for that and any new effort would have to have a different name. (unless EA took the publishers over that is)

PS: One of EA's workers on Sims4 is Joel Eckert who worked for enVIE Interactive in the past..

'Vie' is also French for 'life', if I'm not mistaken. Cest la vie and all that... lol.

I think this might be something. Another sim game is not surprising, it was bound to happen sooner or later. I hope it's worth it, as I said.

--T

There was a beta version of VIE but it apparently came to nothing as far as I can find.

There are some videos on Youtube. Looks a bit simple though.
    ie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHb6zQ4EUeg

that's a DIFFERENT VIE (a shopping experience) simulator then a LIFE simulator
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    NeonHighwaysNeonHighways Posts: 1,508 Member
    rudy8292 wrote: »
    The Sims 4 is starting to get real good now.

Just because we got Toddlers?

Hmm disagree here. The Sims 4 is still The Sims 4. Toddlers are fun and well done, but the core of the game is still VERY weak if you ask me. And the core; that's what they will never fix before at least the Sims 5 is out.

I think Sims 4 is finally improving, now that we've gotten more content. And strangely enough, the game pack content has been stronger than the EPs, at least in my view. The work that went into vampires, for example, is outstanding. Maybe EPs need a little more of that theme focus that's prevalent in the GPs.

I honestly don't miss the open world -- I prefer getting my Sim from one place to another without having to watch him/her walk down a roadway for 2 Sim hours, or drive to a specific point then get out of the car and run to the actual lot (that happened a lot especially in worlds like Hidden Springs). And being able to add content and still continue my current save, without having to spend hours re-editing worlds to add in new venues and features, means I can spend more time actually playing. Not to mention pulling items from the Gallery into game is virtually seamless, compared to:
    • going to the Exchange to find content
    • downloading content to computer
    • opening the Launcher
    • installing content to the game
    • placing content (including going into Edit Worlds if a building or other lot)

Is Sims 4 perfect? No, not yet. Is it improved from the days of the Base Game? Most definitely.

It's about The Sims themselves. They are boring and shallow if you ask me. Where is their personality? What do traits do? Sims are all the same.

The emotions are just not well done, the traits have no effect on gameplay (except for some text changes here and there) the AI .. don't even want to get into that. When I mean ''the core'' it is the foundation the game is build upon.

They will not fix the emotion system, they will not fix traits having more impact on the gameplay, thats all set in stone. No matter how many EP's/GP's and SP's they are going to throw at it, they all have to work with the way the game is setup.

Is it improved from the days of the Base Game?

My opinion is: when it comes to the core of the game; nothing changed. The Sims 4 is still The Sims 4, and still has the same limitations when it comes to... well.. the core.

Has it improved content wise? Yes, there is more ''stuff'' and they also added more systems to support different types of play (Clubs system for example).

But still; The Sims 4 is still what it is.. The Sims 4. It has its own limitations, and we won't see a change there until at least The Sims 5. There are just things they are not going to overhaul/change. They aren't going to overhaul the traits and emotion system for example.

It's not likely they will open up the neighbourhoods so we dont have to load between every single lot all the time (really it's ridiculous).

I think you are completely wrong. TS4 did improve on its core aspects. The sims personalities and AI are much better than TS3, by far. I remember before TS4 people complained TS3 sims were awkward soulless robots, and that is true. TS4 sims are much more fun, animated, intelligent and relatable. They are also prettier. The elements of the flawed core, the lack of reactions, toddlers, ghosts, pools, NPCs, and more were added back and tuned up, and the game IS much better than it was at launch, and this is a fact. You might still not like the game, but it doesn't change the truth. Also, emotions that impact the gameplay are way better than "positive or negative" moodlets that change nothing and have no consequences.
  • Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member

Hmm disagree here. The Sims 4 is still The Sims 4. Toddlers are fun and well done, but the core of the game is still VERY weak if you ask me. And the core; that's what they will never fix before at least the Sims 5 is out.

I think Sims 4 is finally improving, now that we've gotten more content. And strangely enough, the game pack content has been stronger than the EPs, at least in my view. The work that went into vampires, for example, is outstanding. Maybe EPs need a little more of that theme focus that's prevalent in the GPs.

I honestly don't miss the open world -- I prefer getting my Sim from one place to another without having to watch him/her walk down a roadway for 2 Sim hours, or drive to a specific point then get out of the car and run to the actual lot (that happened a lot especially in worlds like Hidden Springs). And being able to add content and still continue my current save, without having to spend hours re-editing worlds to add in new venues and features, means I can spend more time actually playing. Not to mention pulling items from the Gallery into game is virtually seamless, compared to:
    • opening the Launcher

Is Sims 4 perfect? No, not yet. Is it improved from the days of the Base Game? Most definitely.

It's about The Sims themselves. They are boring and shallow if you ask me. Where is their personality? What do traits do? Sims are all the same.

The emotions are just not well done, the traits have no effect on gameplay (except for some text changes here and there) the AI .. don't even want to get into that. When I mean ''the core'' it is the foundation the game is build upon.

They will not fix the emotion system, they will not fix traits having more impact on the gameplay, thats all set in stone. No matter how many EP's/GP's and SP's they are going to throw at it, they all have to work with the way the game is setup.

My opinion is: when it comes to the core of the game; nothing changed. The Sims 4 is still The Sims 4, and still has the same limitations when it comes to... well.. the core.

Has it improved content wise? Yes, there is more ''stuff'' and they also added more systems to support different types of play (Clubs system for example).

But still; The Sims 4 is still what it is.. The Sims 4. It has its own limitations, and we won't see a change there until at least The Sims 5. There are just things they are not going to overhaul/change. They aren't going to overhaul the traits and emotion system for example.

It's not likely they will open up the neighbourhoods so we dont have to load between every single lot all the time (really it's ridiculous).

I think you are completely wrong. TS4 did improve on its core aspects. The sims personalities and AI are much better than TS3, by far. I remember before TS4 people complained TS3 sims were awkward soulless robots, and that is true. TS4 sims are much more fun, animated, intelligent and relatable. They are also prettier. The elements of the flawed core, the lack of reactions, toddlers, ghosts, pools, NPCs, and more were added back and tuned up, and the game IS much better than it was at launch, and this is a fact. You might still not like the game, but it doesn't change the truth. Also, emotions that impact the gameplay are way better than "positive or negative" moodlets that change nothing and have no consequences.

Let's not make this into a TS3 vs TS4 debate. People feel how they feel about each game; let's agree to disagree on that.
  • Options
    DarkSuperNinjaDarkSuperNinja Posts: 1,204 Member
    edited February 2017
    Personal opinion: Until there's more information, we really can't say ANYTHING! If it's a combination of TS3 and TS4, then I'll probably implode, but that's honestly just wishful thinking at this point! xD

I'm obviously curious though; as a long-time fan of the Sims (as I'd imagine we all are here), I want to see what a self-proclaimed "Sims fan" can make that could compete with the actual Sims!
    And even if it's just EA making competition for themselves (for example, a programmer who works on the Sims making a separate game) or even if it's just EA's plan to try out new ideas for the Sims, I'm still extremely curious nonetheless. ;)
    Post edited by DarkSuperNinja on
  • Options
    lovlyblovlyb Posts: 968 Member
    To7m wrote: »
    Realistically, this is not surprising. You don't expect The Sims to be the only life sim game *ever* do you? Sure it won't be TS, but EA dont have control over the genre.

I hope this is really legit and I hope it is frikken worth it. PLEASE. I'm open to another, *better* life sim game, but I'll always love TS. If this make them step up their game in the future I'm all for it. Bring it on.

--T

ETA: not gonna lie, looking at their little green man logo, I'm excited. I really hope this is real.

Totally agree with you!
  • Options
    lovlyblovlyb Posts: 968 Member
    I welcome all challengers, :) we sure need one. That what keeps it exciting and keep me lurking around the corner. I think its good to have another simulation family, like sims. But I hope the go for a more Mature audience ;) to be honest. Only on March 15 we will see whats heading our way soon. B)
  • Options
    aricarai wrote: »

• opening the Launcher

Let's not make this into a TS3 vs TS4 debate. People feel how they feel about each game; let's agree to disagree on that.

You're right, I got heated... I just couldn't sit still since Rudy compared TS4 to other sims games in the first place. I think it goes both ways.

On topic, it will be interest to see what they do. The "sims competitors" that exist looks like TS1. I wonder how good they can make the graphics. If they are really simmers, and know the community like they say, they'll know to make a game that will cater to us. Maybe they really are long time sims players who got dissatisfied and want to show EA how it's done. I fear that it will have something that will make it be a bad deal though, like 2d cartoon graphics, or bad 3D bratz 2005 game look to it. If it has a city skylines success that attracts general gamers that don't care about the sims, you are sure ea will double down on Sims 4 and create an even better Sims 5.
  • Options
    Pary wrote: »
    While it's all well and good to discuss options or competition for the Sims, Project Vie, the supposed life simulator competitor is a hoax and a lie.
    To the perpetrator, you know who you are, and you let this go far too far. It isn't funny, it's childish and ridiculous and you're getting people's hopes up for nothing but your own inane amusement.
    Grow up, for pete's sake.

Edit - Screenshot from MB

yWmh2wU.png

Well, that's interesting. I do believe madame butterfly, and they do seem to be over promising. We'll see what they will say on march 15.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    While it's all well and good to discuss options or competition for the Sims, Project Vie, the supposed life simulator competitor is a hoax and a lie.
    To the perpetrator, you know who you are, and you let this go far too far. It isn't funny, it's childish and ridiculous and you're getting people's hopes up for nothing but your own inane amusement.
    Grow up, for pete's sake.

Edit - Screenshot from MB

yWmh2wU.png
    @Pary Interesting! xD If this is true, I'm even more curious to see what the supposed "announcement" will be if the whole thing is a hoax! As well as that, if Madame Butterfly is telling the truth, I want to see how many people who don't know that it's a hoax actually believe that Vie is a real thing! xD
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    edited February 2017
    Of course she's telling the truth. You know it's funny... people are willing to believe this fake project "announced" by some juvenile twit is real, yet when someone who has seen said juvenile admit to starting it and comes forward to reveal that it's a lie, and that someone else is deceiving you all, the first thing someone does is question her honesty with an "if".

That said, it's been written and posted that it is a big lie. If anyone continues to believe in this fantasy project, and ends up disappointed, well, it's their own fault.

If said juvenile has managed to scrape together an entire design studio, and has a working alpha of a game by March 15th, then I will stand corrected. But I highly doubt it. It can barely manage to keep hold of a coherent thought most of the time, or rein in its foul mouth - isn't that right perpetrator ?

eta - I know you're probably reading this. Did you manage to photoshop some "teaser pics" that you mentioned once? Or perhaps a little animated clip you've faked? Or did you set up crowdfunding with the Montgomery Scott Approach that you talked about?
    I look forward to your March 15 reveal.

Post edited by Pary on
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    aricarai wrote: »

• opening the Launcher

You're right, I got heated... I just couldn't sit still since Rudy compared TS4 to other sims games in the first place. I think it goes both ways.

On topic, it will be interest to see what they do. The "sims competitors" that exist looks like TS1. I wonder how good they can make the graphics. If they are really simmers, and know the community like they say, they'll know to make a game that will cater to us. Maybe they really are long time sims players who got dissatisfied and want to show EA how it's done. I fear that it will have something that will make it be a bad deal though, like 2d cartoon graphics, or bad 3D bratz 2005 game look to it. If it has a city skylines success that attracts general gamers that don't care about the sims, you are sure ea will double down on Sims 4 and create an even better Sims 5.

Thank you for that :mrgreen: I understand; we can all get heated and you're right, it does go both ways!

That's all I want is for the best Sims' game (or life simulator game) possible!
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited February 2017
    I want a breakthrough life sim that is just fun. I'm tired of the constant drawbacks in each base game. I'm tired of being expected to pay 10 dollars for something as simple as bowling. Or 20 dollars to mess around with vampires. The focus on packs is prohibiting the game from being something special again.

As for VIE itself, it's quite unusual to announce a game this way, and periodically tease it on the subreddit (which the so-called creator did. The logo even looks a bit fishy. I'm not getting my hopes up, but I'll be very happy if it's real.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Of course she's telling the truth. You know it's funny... people are willing to believe this fake project "announced" by some juvenile twit is real, yet when someone who has seen said juvenile admit to starting it and comes forward to reveal that it's a lie, and that someone else is deceiving you all, the first thing someone does is question her honesty with an "if".

That said, it's been written and posted that it is a big lie. If anyone continues to believe in this fantasy project, and ends up disappointed, well, it's their own fault.

If said juvenile has managed to scrape together an entire design studio, and has a working alpha of a game by March 15th, then I will stand corrected. But I highly doubt it. It can barely manage to keep hold of a coherent thought most of the time, or rein in its foul mouth - isn't that right perpetrator ?

@Pary My post came off as if I was doubting Madame Butterfly and not doubting Vie, HOWEVER, I'm doubting both sides equally!

I wasn't really sure if the project was true or not anyway, but in my first post, I was hoping that the game was real; as many have said, it would be good for EA to have valid competition, and maybe we would get a good life simulation game out of it too!

As well as that, people are merely speculating at this point; you can't rant at people for having opinions and imaginations! The existence of Vie was treated as fact by multiple news sources, therefore it's natural that many readers will also treat it as fact!

Furthermore, we can't forget that NEITHER side has given proof; granted I'm more inclined to believe Madame Butterfly, but nobody can truly say whether Vie exists or not right now. Also, from memory, Vie is currently in "Pre-Alpha", which means they may have AT LEAST a model down! As well as that, I'm unaware of him saying that the Alpha will be released on 15th March; the exact quote is "find out more March 15th" which doesn't confirm an Alpha AT ALL (if you have a source that states an alpha release, please link it because I might just have missed it).

Anyways, I don't even care about Vie; I'm broke, and I'm liking The Sims enough that I don't need another Life Simulation game in my life right now, and I'm honestly only debating right now because I can't resist a good ol' debate at 11pm on a College night! xD

TL:DR; There's no proof for either side! Frankly, I'm just going to sit on the outside with a bag of popcorn and see how it all plays out. If it's real, it's real. If it's not, the guy who created it is the definition of a poopface and everyone will hate him for it.

Edit: Not sure about the "pre-alpha" thing, so don't quote me on it...
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    edited February 2017
    My remark about the alpha was just a silly remark over the absurdity of the situation. There is no source to provide as to alpha because the whole thing is an utter lie.

How did you know the culprit is a guy?
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    My remark about the alpha was just a silly remark over the absurdity of the situation. There is no source to provide as to alpha because the whole thing is an utter lie.

@Pary As I said, NOTHING has been confirmed, I repeat, NOTHING! A game hasn't been confirmed, the facts in the blog post haven't been confirmed; for all we know, they could both be working together and just trolling EVERYONE (obviously that's pretty farfetched, but you get my point)! xD

As much as I'd want to take a side (because frankly, it makes debating MUCH easier) there isn't a side to take! There's nothing to back up ANYONE right now! We have absolutely ZERO evidence from Madame Butterfly, and we also have ZERO evidence for Vie's claims! The whole thing being an "utter lie" is just as much speculation as Vie existing in the first place.

I was going to start talking about how a quantum theory (that I don't actually believe in, personally) could be used to describe how Vie is currently in a state of not existing and existing at the same time, as we are uncertain whether it exists or not. However, I'm tired and lazy, so here's a link to the Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schrödinger's_cat (I would talk in length about why this theory seems impossible in my eyes, but I'm pretty sure that nobody cares, as it's completely irrelevant)

Anyways, Merry (late) Christmas! ;) I've got sleeping to do, and I've basically said everything that I've wanted to say (bonus points for shoving a Quantum Physics theory in there)! xD
  • Options
    meubanksmeubanks Posts: 445 Member
    The Sims has had competition in the past, although most of it has either been outright knock-offs, of flawed to the point that they became niche-titles or faded away with little fanfare. If this is a real project, I wish them well, but I their posts so far have done nothing to peak my interests. More information might change my opinions, but so far I'm still skeptical. The complete lack of information, and the generally self-congratulatory tone put me off slightly.

Plus, warts and all, TS4 has grown on me. TS3 was equally flawed, albeit in different ways, so I've learned to treat them as separate experiences, and to enjoy the aspects in each that appeal to me. If a good competitor is ever released (and not just hyped) I'll take a look at it, but I'd probably treat it as an addition to my gaming possibilities, more-so than a replacement for the sims.
  • Options
    james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Please Note that I saw the same note Yesterday as @Pary. I believe that we should be very careful of such projects Some people love building hype about a game that don't exist. Hopefully Sims players will see it as a fake game advertised by a banned member.
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    Vie is similar to The Sims in some ways, but totally different in some other ways. You will end up doing the same thing in both games, but you’ll have a much better time in Vie!

Seems legit. :+1::joy:
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    mortiamortia Posts: 1,155 Member
    Having witnessed firsthand this sad individual laying out his plans for the troll of the century on the Sims Community, I will also chime in with the assurance that Project Vie is 100% fake. However, believe what you like. I have my popcorn in hand and will be waiting for the Ides of March purely to see how exactly he plans on talking his way out of this.

• Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    But @mortia, you can't possible expect people to actually read every post. Right? :s
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    mortia wrote: »
    Having witnessed firsthand this sad individual laying out his plans for the troll of the century on the Sims Community, I will also chime in with the assurance that Project Vie is 100% fake. However, believe what you like. I have my popcorn in hand and will be waiting for the Ides of March purely to see how exactly he plans on talking his way out of this.

Yeah what @Pary and @mortia said is also what I heard about it (I think @HappySimmer3 told me when I first took notice of this story). If this really is a troll, and it seems likely, someone ought to stop that person. That's just really nasty tbh. So I won't get my hopes up at all, as it seems people have pretty solid evidence for this. We'll see, but I got a feeling we won't see much :(
  • Options
    PoppenPoppen Posts: 85 Member
    Oh well, a hoax you say. Nothing gained, nothing lost. Very creative trolling :D