Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Legacy Challenge Rules

Comments

• Options
    camera_obscura12camera_obscura12 Posts: 98 New Member
    edited July 2009

True. My house is slowly coming along...it has 3 walls.
  • Options
    mmmmMozartmmmmMozart Posts: 3 New Member
    edited July 2009
    What a great challenge! I can't wait to go get started...
  • Options
    SatbirSatbir Posts: 9 New Member
    edited July 2009
    I am a SIMmer but have only played in my own little world, have uploaded and downloaded a few creations, and messed around with stories. I would like to create my first legacy and have read the rules. Do I need to register somehow to be official? Do I tally points myself? How does it work. I have my SIM in mind, how do I get started?
  • Options
    StormfeatherStormfeather Posts: 371 Member
    edited July 2009
    Satbir wrote:
    I am a SIMmer but have only played in my own little world, have uploaded and downloaded a few creations, and messed around with stories. I would like to create my first legacy and have read the rules. Do I need to register somehow to be official? Do I tally points myself? How does it work. I have my SIM in mind, how do I get started?

There's no official bits. It's just mainly a way to play the game to have fun, and lends itself to being shared with others as a community thing. So no, no need to register, yes, you tally your own points. You just... start. Although if you want to tell the story as you play, you should probably set up some sort of blog first and figure out basically what you wanna do with it. ;)
  • Options
    crazybadazycrazybadazy Posts: 1,144 New Member
    edited July 2009
    I have a question. My legacy founder married Christopher Steel, was that okay? He wasn't 'rich' but he still brought in some money. Are you alloud to marry sims who live in other houses in the neighborhood, or do they have to be sims that don't live in a home? What are those called, townies? Npc's?

Because of Christopher I was able to build a tiny house, and now that my founder and him are making some more money I was able to build a room for new triplets. I just had the question about Christopher, I am still kind of confused about who you are alloud to marry. Thanks for any help.
  • Options
    Simbi0seSimbi0se Posts: 205 Member
    edited July 2009
    If marrying Christopher Steel is wrong, I don't wanna be right. :wink:
  • Options
    PrewinterPrewinter Posts: 48 Member
    edited July 2009
    Er...are these going to be judged at some point or are they just for fun? Sorry if this is a super noob question. Pretty new to the community participation.
  • Options
    SuperBucketSuperBucket Posts: 13 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Chapter Eleven of the Delf Legacy: http://thedelflegacy.webs.com/apps/blog/show/1433383-chapter-one-g1

First death :(

the site: http://thedelflegacy.webs.com
    the Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/TheDelfLegacy

leave me a link to your legacy in the guestbook if you want and I'll be sure to read :)
  • Options
    Paincool9Paincool9 Posts: 20 New Member
    edited July 2009
    The good old legacy challenge =D I wondered how long it would be before it was updated for the sims 3. I only got to my 6th generation in the sims 2 so this is going to awesome for me =D. I can't wait to accually with hope finish a challenge =D

Unfortnatly I read this thread about a week ago and started a legacy although I downloaded the new patch and it messed my game up. All my saves became corrupt and so I had to reinstall as no matter what I did my game was mashed up.

So I started again and this time I decided to do a story.

I'm doing a few optional rules aswell, [Same gender and family trait.]

Here is the link to my story (Just one chapter so far not that amazing to be honest but it's a start =D

http://barkerlegacy.wordpress.com/

There will be some spelling mistakes, I'm Dylexic but anyways I've rambled on enough.

Happy simming

~Pc9~
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Paincool9 wrote:
    Unfortnatly I read this thread about a week ago and started a legacy although I downloaded the new patch and it messed my game up. All my saves became corrupt and so I had to reinstall as no matter what I did my game was mashed up.

Oh no! :( I'm sorry to hear that... especially since it makes me nervous now about updating my own game. XD

It looks like there's a fairly long thread on the technical forum with problems with the new patch... anyone NOT had any problems with it?
  • Options
    Rad6380Rad6380 Posts: 251 Member
    edited July 2009
    I have a question. My legacy founder married Christopher Steel, was that okay?

Don't worry. Statistics* show 65% of all female legacy sims marry Christopher steel.

(*as in statistics I just made up)
  • Options
    SaraphynaSaraphyna Posts: 27 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Wow, gotta love it when you're completely ignored.

So I'll ask again:

"Just a question, and I apologize if it's been asked before:

As soon as the 10th generation is born, the challenge is over, right? So we can't get any points with the 10th generation like portraits, LTW's and aspirations? It seems kind of odd that, after all this work, all the 10th generation is good for is one point! Is it allowed that you can gain points for the challenge from the 10th generation until they die off?"

And as for marrying Christopher Steel, I had my founder marry him too. Other than the hideous cow pj's, he's actually a really great Sim. :)
  • Options
    buntinggirlbuntinggirl Posts: 69 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Rad6380 wrote:
    I have a question. My legacy founder married Christopher Steel, was that okay?

Don't worry. Statistics* show 65% of all female legacy sims marry Christopher steel.

(*as in statistics I just made up)

hahaha - my sim didn't marry him. Robert Newbie ditched his wife and proposed, they were still living in an old shack when I discovered Mags sportscar in his inventory. I assumed it was Mags' as she was always racing around in int! That was soon sold to build their home. Now that really was a bonus!

http://thesimomonlegacy.wordpress.com/

Saraphyna

I think that's right - as in the challenge is over and that's when the points get totally, but actually I don't think I'm going to be counting points. Not sure if you can earn points from the 10th generation until they die, but it would seem sensible.
  • Options
    Pinstar1161Pinstar1161 Posts: 216 Member
    edited July 2009
    Paincool9 wrote:

Oh no! :( I'm sorry to hear that... especially since it makes me nervous now about updating my own game. XD

It looks like there's a fairly long thread on the technical forum with problems with the new patch... anyone NOT had any problems with it?

This is why I advocate uploading your Legacy family to the exchange at LEAST once per generation. If not to share it with others, use it as a back-up restoration point in case something horrible happens to your game/computer.

Of course, that isn't in the rules, its just a suggestion I have to all Legacy players. I upload my legacy once per generation to my simpage, immediately after the birth of said generation.
    Creator of the Legacy Challenge

Twitter: @Pinstar
    Youtube

This account is now maintained by Pinstar's wife, Mystic.

Twitter: @Sims_Legacy

Official Legacy Challenge Site
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Saraphyna wrote:
    Wow, gotta love it when you're completely ignored.

So I'll ask again:

"Just a question, and I apologize if it's been asked before:

As soon as the 10th generation is born, the challenge is over, right? So we can't get any points with the 10th generation like portraits, LTW's and aspirations? It seems kind of odd that, after all this work, all the 10th generation is good for is one point! Is it allowed that you can gain points for the challenge from the 10th generation until they die off?"

No, you can't get any points for the 10th generation (except obviously the generation point for their birth). Once that 10th gen is born, it's done. Over.
  • Options
    ChessackChessack Posts: 227 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Prewinter wrote:
    Er...are these going to be judged at some point or are they just for fun? Sorry if this is a super noob question. Pretty new to the community participation.

It's usually just for fun. You can certainly report all of your points here or on another thread, and compare with other Legacy players if you wish... but as many of these things are on the "honor" system, we have nothing but each other's word to use for scoring. For example, even if someone wanted to be a referee (and I'm sure no one would) and check our save games, there'd be no way for the ref to tell if, between save-games, you used one of the cheats, and there'd certainly be no way to tell if you re-loaded from save games, etc. And as I said, no one would want to referee this stuff anyway (we're all busy playing our own Legacy instead).

So... this is a challenge for you to do, for fun, if you want. The rules were created by the OP to make the game very challenging, but still be "doable." If you want to try it as written, go ahead. If you want to make some changes, go ahead. No one will know, and odds are no one will care what changes you made. The only thing I would say is that if you do make changes or ignore one of the rules, and then post points to compare to others, you be honest and tell everyone what changes you made. On the other hand if you are not planning to post your points, then change whatever you want in the rules. It's all here for you to have fun so do what's fun.

For example, as I've said above, I find my Sims' lives too fleeting on "normal." I tend to like my Sims a lot and grow fond of them, and I don't like seeing them die too soon, so I am playing my Legacy (and will probably play Sims 3 in all other cases) on "Long" mode (but not Epic -- that'd be too long). I'm also not keeping track of points, so no one will care what I do. But, if I *did* list points, it would only be fair for me to admit that I had played the game on "long" mode so that people wouldn't think all those points were earned on "normal." It's *much* easier to fulfill lifetime wishes and even have babies and so forth with more time to do these things.

Also, my founder fell in love with an NPC Sim named Tamara who was identified as "Rich" before they got engaged. That's "against the rules" for the Legacy too... but as I am not playing for points, I tossed that rule and allowed the engagement to proceed. Tamara was kind of cute, and the Founder really liked her, and I decided to let him have her. Again, these kinds of decisions are up to you, the player. No one will know unless you tell them, and even if you do, no one will care unless you try to lie about it and claim points you didn't earn (and to be honest, most people won't even care then).

That's probably a longer answer than you needed, but I tend to be wordy. :) The short answer is, this is for you to have fun with, and nobody is going to check you. You don't have to report points, and in my experience the vast majority of Legacy players never seem to do so... They just use the rules to challenge themselves as a Simmer.

C
  • Options
    exdemon1120exdemon1120 Posts: 899 Member
    edited July 2009
    Pinstar1161 I wanted to let you know that I did a revised sort of rules for the challenge. I love the concept but there were things I changed to make it more fun for me. I posted them here http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/78281.page#772962 I gave you creidt for the idea of course and wanted to make sure this was ok with you. If not I'll edit and get rid of the post. But I wanted to share in case anyone else wanted an optional set of rules and point system that's a bit different.
  • Options
    Diamond0PirateDiamond0Pirate Posts: 61 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Pinstar1161 I wanted to let you know that I did a revised sort of rules for the challenge. I love the concept but there were things I changed to make it more fun for me. I posted them here http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/78281.page#772962 I gave you creidt for the idea of course and wanted to make sure this was ok with you. If not I'll edit and get rid of the post. But I wanted to share in case anyone else wanted an optional set of rules and point system that's a bit different.

Those arent bad. Nice set of Legacy "House Rules" if you will.

I'm actually running a different trait rule in my game, in that I pick every trait of my sims, provided that that its genetically possible. IE; You can only pick traits that someone in the bloodline previously had. Like DNA coding, traits can skip generations. And if any set of parents have any matching traits, thier kids will ALWAYs have that trait.
  • Options
    PrewinterPrewinter Posts: 48 Member
    edited July 2009
    Thanks, Chessack! I read your response right before I'm having to run away from the compy for a while so this is an unjustly short response, haha. But well answered! :D

I'd actually grown sort of tired of actual gameplay before I came across this so I started a legacy family last night in Riverview, which I hadn't played in at all before. It's probably the most fun I've had sims 3-wise since my starter family. My first heir was just born, woo.

And yeah, I think I'll switch to the longer lifespan too. I've worked really hard on getting my founder up in his career and he's about to miss his lifetime wish by just a couple of promotions.

Anyway!
  • Options
    palesunflowerpalesunflower Posts: 169 New Member
    edited July 2009
    I'm actually running a different trait rule in my game, in that I pick every trait of my sims, provided that that its genetically possible. IE; You can only pick traits that someone in the bloodline previously had. Like DNA coding, traits can skip generations. And if any set of parents have any matching traits, thier kids will ALWAYs have that trait.

That's an interesting idea. I've been randomizing so far (then again, I'm only generation 2...I'm a slow player) but I do like the idea that traits are genetic. I'll probably include this mod in my next Legacy...you know, in 7 or so years :roll:
  • Options
    exdemon1120exdemon1120 Posts: 899 Member
    edited July 2009

Those arent bad. Nice set of Legacy "House Rules" if you will.

Thanks, I was kinda of trying to go for something with a bit more flexibility. Make it a bit more fun but still a challenge.
  • Options
    Paincool9Paincool9 Posts: 20 New Member
    edited July 2009
    One question, say your sim swiped some stuff and that stuff just so happened to be some ploted plants, a few lighting figures and prehaps the second most expensive car. Is the car fair game to sell or do I have to give the car back or keep them for my legacy and not sell them.

See In the first few days of my legacy my sim ran down the road and stole some stuff. I was distracted and wasn't sure what to do. So I was just wondering what to do with this car. I haven't sold it yet and my sims are making some pretty nice dosh.

But on a different note, I've decided whos going to be my second gen heir =D. Having to choose between Melinda and Robert was a touch choice but I choose Robert and decided to do the same gender rule. So fair the legacy is going well. Really draging out toddler life however as I'm doing it on long and it only takes me around one sim day to teach toddlers to speak, walk and be potty trained.

On a sad note however my founders wife is becoming an elder in 2 days =[.

~Pc9~
  • Options
    aupdike50aupdike50 Posts: 22 New Member
    edited July 2009
    I was in near tears when my founder and her husband died :cry:...they lived VERY long lives though...and were very fulfilled...but it was SO sad...I'm used to playing the same sims at all times, Sims 2 and Sims 3...I just have them drink the life juice or eat ambrosia, and keep having kids...so this Legacy thing was really hard. I get attached to my Sims, lol. It was so sad. I was actually a lil depressed the rest of the evening when my sims died. LOL. Now, I could care less and if they won't die soon enough...I kill them off to make room for spares and new babies, lol. :twisted: I really had hoped with this new game they would have allowed more than 8 Sims in a household though...I could easily handle 12 - 15. Bummer.
  • Options
    Simbi0seSimbi0se Posts: 205 Member
    edited July 2009
    Saraphyna wrote:
    And as for marrying Christopher Steel, I had my founder marry him too. Other than the hideous cow pj's, he's actually a really great Sim. :)

My founder put it in the prenup that he had to get rid of those. :P
  • Options
    ChessackChessack Posts: 227 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Prewinter wrote:
    I'd actually grown sort of tired of actual gameplay before I came across this so I started a legacy family last night in Riverview, which I hadn't played in at all before. It's probably the most fun I've had sims 3-wise since my starter family. My first heir was just born, woo.

I had played Sims 2 for a while before finding out what "Legacy" gaming was. Then it took me a while to figure out the rules, and I tried and aborted it several times as my first few founders went into needs failure and I gave up (LOL). But then I finally get one of the families to not just work but really work well, and I found it so amazingly rewarding that it's pretty much become my only play style. There is just something very satisfying about watching your family go from owning grass, to owning a shed, to owning the equivalent of a small trailer, to owning a small regular home, to a large home, to finally a mansion. I just find it so much more challenging and fun than playing Sims the "regular" way that I'd estimate 90% of my "Simming" hours have been with my Legacy family since buying Sims 3.

C

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top