Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Origin isn't letting me redeem The Sims 3: Late Night for download

Alright, so I have two computers that I play the Sims 3 on, my laptop and my desktop. Up until now, I've installed the game on my laptop using the actual disks for the game, and then used EADM (EA Download manager) to download the games onto my desktop so I won't have to use the disk to play it there. This has worked for both the base game and World Adventures, but now that I'm trying to install Late Night, Origin is not allowing me to redeem the code.

I tried contacting customer support through EA Live Chat, but the person there told me that the code I had was not a code for digital download (??? It says on Origin FAQ that you can download any game bought through retail digitally that has been released after 2009 so long as you have the code). Anyway, when I do enter the code on Origin, it says "We're sorry, this code cannot be redeemed here. Please redeem your code at the following site: www.thesims3.com."

So I'm like, okay, I'll go to thesims3.com even though I know you can't digitally download it through there (that I know of...)

Can anyone help? I don't quite understand why I'm unable to redeem my code through Origin...

Thanks!
Sam

Comments

• Options
    BattsknoxBattsknox Posts: 1,133 New Member
    edited July 2011
    sammyklvng wrote:
    Alright, so I have two computers that I play the Sims 3 on, my laptop and my desktop. Up until now, I've installed the game on my laptop using the actual disks for the game, and then used EADM (EA Download manager) to download the games onto my desktop so I won't have to use the disk to play it there. This has worked for both the base game and World Adventures, but now that I'm trying to install Late Night, Origin is not allowing me to redeem the code.

I tried contacting customer support through EA Live Chat, but the person there told me that the code I had was not a code for digital download (??? It says on Origin FAQ that you can download any game bought through retail digitally that has been released after 2009 so long as you have the code). Anyway, when I do enter the code on Origin, it says "We're sorry, this code cannot be redeemed here. Please redeem your code at the following site: www.thesims3.com."

So I'm like, okay, I'll go to thesims3.com even though I know you can't digitally download it through there (that I know of...)

Can anyone help? I don't quite understand why I'm unable to redeem my code through Origin...

Thanks!
    Sam

I will give you a bump, because this needs to be addressed. My WA code won't even enter in Origins (all my others enter in, but DL NOT authorized). Then they have the information that says it will allow DL of any registered RETAIL codes, but doesn't unless EA authorizes.
    Well the Origins FAQ needs to reflect that :!: :?
    It's very confusing. :roll:
  • Options
    sammyklvngsammyklvng Posts: 8 New Member
    edited July 2011
    Thank you for the bump!

I'm going to post my Live Chat conversation here as well, just in case someone can make sense of what she was saying... because I was a bit confused as to what she was trying to say...
    Hi, my name is Ankit. How may I help you?
    2399798312: Hi! I recently purchased the Sims 3: Late Night as a physical copy, but I would like to download a digital copy through Origin, as I have done with all the previous sims 3 games
    2399798312: The only problem is that Origin says it can't
    Ankit: ok
    Ankit: sorry to hear that
    Ankit: may I have the code and email account ?
    2399798312: Yes! The email is xxxxxxxxx and the code is xxxxxxxxxx
    Ankit: Alright, let me check.
    Ankit: Did you registered it before adding it to origin ?
    2399798312: Register it on the Sims 3 site, you mean? Yes, I did
    Ankit: oh, that is the issue, because Origin always accept the code in unused state only , since you have registered it first on website that is why its not letting you to add a download version for this game.
    2399798312: Ohh, okay. The only thing is that I've been able to download the base game as well as World Adventure without any issue, both of which I registered online before downloading through origin
    Ankit: If you activate the code before registering it to website then only it will add the download version.
    2399798312: I guess I understand that, but I only recently downloaded the sims 3 and world adventure through origin, and they have both been registered to thesims3.com for a while now
    Ankit: might be possible that those were added directly first then registered to your account.
    2399798312: What do you mean by being added directly?
    Ankit: I mean to say the base game and world adventure are being added automatically if the code is for both disc and downlaod.
    Ankit: *download.
    2399798312: Ah, I'm not sure. But actually, might the problem be Origin itself? I did download the base game and world adventure when EA still used the EA Download Manager; I don't know if that makes any difference at all
    Ankit: those might be added automatically,but since you have first registered it on website so unfortunately you won't be able to use this code again in Origin.
    2399798312: So, is there any way I will be able to download Late Night at all without purchasing the game again?
    Ankit: Unfortunately no, because I have checked the code you have its only for the disc version game.
    2399798312: Okay; thank you for your help!
    Ankit: welcome and Thank you for understanding
    Ankit: Is there anything further I may assist you with ?
    2399798312: Nope, that's all.
    Ankit: Thank you for your participation in the EA Chat Support. Have a nice day. Bye!!

Again, if anyone can help, please do!! :?
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Well, that is still inaccurate, from my experience. I just registered Generations in this site yesterday, it's been registered in Origins since the day I got it, shows up in my games, but still says I need a disc to play, and there is no option to DL it.
    So once again live chat support just winging it when they aren't sure of an answer :evil:
    And... it says NOWHERE in the FAQ or info that you must enter the serial code through Origins FIRST!
    I really like the idea of what they are trying to do with Origins, but it ain't as smooth as it should be.
    If there weren't so many issues, I would go straight to the digital versions, but these confusions don't make support from there look very promising :(
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I had very little doubt while talking to her that she had no idea how to fix the problem >.< And honestly, Battsknox, if when you register your game would affect the DL, they need to make that clear somewhere.

And yeah, I love the idea of origins; it was especially useful when my Sims 3 disk was scratched beyond repair and I needed to re-install it. But urhg! This whole lack of customer support out there is frustrating...
  • Options
    DizzyDrGDizzyDrG Posts: 7
    edited July 2011
    You should definitely try to ask another person on customer service. I had the same exact problem as you (just with a different game, the sims 3 generations) and just talked to a woman named Kim who checked my code, saw it was registered, and gave me a direct download which I'm installing now. The person you were talking to just didn't know what she was doing and didn't want to admit it.
  • Options
    SimGuru_BGY_11SimGuru_BGY_11 Posts: 7,508 SimGuru (retired)
    edited July 2011
    Hi there.

Have you tried the alternate route of registering the code through activate.ea.com ?

-Big Guy-
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Hi there.

Have you tried the alternate route of registering the code through activate.ea.com ?

-Big Guy-
    Will this allow DL of retail purchased discs through Origins? Because that is all we want to do.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Hi there.

-Big Guy-

It worked! Thanks so much! And yeah, Battsknox, I put in my code and it enabled DL for my disk :) Woot!
  • Options
    key2sanitykey2sanity Posts: 0 New Member
    edited July 2011
    Hey girls and guys,

Had the same problem and found the official response here:
    http://help.thesims.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5515/session/L3RpbWUvMTMxMjE0NDQyNi9zaWQvWEpCYlpuQWs=

Thought it might be a good idea to post it here, just in-case anyone else came across the same problem. Judging by this - they will.

Origin sucks, too many problems, thanks for 🐸🐸🐸🐸 us over again EA. Ever heard of QUALITY CONTROL? It's not like loyal customers are important or anything.
  • Options
    simfreak19simfreak19 Posts: 16 Member
    edited August 2011
    I had the same problem with generations. Because when I try to install the physical copy I get the CRC error so eadm or origin as they call it now was my last resort. So when I did put my code in origin it says it doesn't work and told me to register at the game at the sims 3 website.
    but it still didn't work. but thankfully the activate.ea.com link worked. so i am sooo happy :)
  • Options
    izzy1985izzy1985 Posts: 3
    edited August 2011
    Yay!!! I was having the same problem, only i lost my discs and no game but sims 3 would should up even though I would enter the product codes. I just saw this post and used activate.ea.com and entered my codes and now all my games are in origin =D.. Try doing that, it works^_^... Only.. I hope I can play with out the discs once its all downloaded....
  • Options
    eablevinseablevins Posts: 30 Member
    edited August 2011
    I'm also having this problem.

In my case, it's not a physical CD that I'm trying to redeem the code for electronically. It's an ELECTRONIC download that I bought when the games first came out and now have no access to.

I get "cannot redeem" on Origin and "code is in use" on activate.ea.com.

And the "Live Help" is apparently only 9-5. While I'm at work.
  • Options
    salinakuo77654salinakuo77654 Posts: 1
    edited October 2011
    It doesn't work, it says ":The product code is already used", :shock: please help!
  • Options
    KatieEllisdonKatieEllisdon Posts: 4
    edited October 2011
    Many thanks Big Guy for posting the fix. I've been stuck with adding a couple of the Sims 3 expansion packs to my origin games list until I registered the codes at activate.ea.com. Everything used to work just fine with the old EA download manager.
  • Options
    Sati101Sati101 Posts: 43 Member
    edited December 2011
    Hi there.

-Big Guy-

You, you are beautiful. THANK YOU SO MUCH. :)
  • Options
    ZackbradZackbrad Posts: 86 Member
    edited January 2012
    But what of the "Serial code already used" issue? how will i be able to redownload a game when my computer dies in the future? i tried to get the serial code for late night because my origin account used to have games but then i found it will not detect them anymore, and it said serial code already used! i am bumping this post because that issue has not been addressed on what to do if it says its already being used? well...... any answers?
    OriginID: bradleymee
    giphy.gif
    Holler if you're ready for some summer nights.
  • Options
    kimolekakimoleka Posts: 1
    edited January 2012
    Zackbrad wrote:
    But what of the "Serial code already used" issue? how will i be able to redownload a game when my computer dies in the future? i tried to get the serial code for late night because my origin account used to have games but then i found it will not detect them anymore, and it said serial code already used! i am bumping this post because that issue has not been addressed on what to do if it says its already being used? well...... any answers?

I had the same "product code already in use" problem and found myself chatting with two of their techs online. First they told me to login to Origin and that the "game should be ready for download." Check this first. It wasn't for me...it said there were no games detected for my account. With a little patience they must've reset something on their side, then had me uninstall/reinstall Origin, sign in again and there it was! I'm just about halfway through the download...yay!

Good luck! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    lilac12lilac12 Posts: 1
    edited January 2012
    Hi there.

-Big Guy-

I've tried that but it says 'The product code entered is already used', but it's being used by me!? I don't understand?!

edit: sorry for beig stupid - I thought I had already done this, but it was when I was using steam (a similar thing as origin, but not just ea games)... all I had to do was put it in the disc drive! :oops: I'm tired ok?!...
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    XenaBombinaXenaBombina Posts: 1 New Member
    edited February 2012
    I didn't know we could DL a digital copy until after I had already registered my physical copy on the Sims 3 site.

Now I get "The product code entered is already used" error when attempting to redeem the code via activate.ea.com.

When I login to Origin all my sims games are listed but I can't see anywhere to download them.

Origin has a page saying that if you have already registered the code with the sims 3 site there is no way to redeem it to get a digital copy.

http://help.ea.com/article/the-sims-3-origin-code-redemption-error

Do you think I have any hope of getting a digital copy before my disk dies, or should I just give up?

This seems like very poor service from Origin.
  • Options
    LithranLithran Posts: 1
    edited February 2012
    Hi there.

-Big Guy-

Works a charm! Thanks ever so much :D Hope others that have this problem find this.
  • Options
    CupcakeRockCupcakeRock Posts: 2,812
    edited February 2012
    I had the exact same problem with activate.ea.com and the codes not working, but then I re-installed Origin, and logged in, and all my games were there, ready to install. I hope this same method works for anybody else out there, I was getting very frustrated with this myself.
  • Options
    shireen7xshireen7x Posts: 1
    edited March 2012
    like that bloke said, go to activate.ea.com, and just type in all the necessary information, then go to your origin download ( i assume you've downloaded it to your computer or laptop) and just refresh. i had the same problem as you and i followed his advice and two of my disappeared games have surfaced xx
  • Options
    HatesMyAllergiesHatesMyAllergies Posts: 1
    edited May 2012
    kimoleka was completely right. All I had to do was log in, click on My Games, accept some terms and conditions, and BAM! It's downloading as I type! It's nice that EA is giving us the chance to back up our information and get it back when we lose it, but activate.ea.com and Origin need to be a little more in sync. So if you tried using the EA website and it didn't work, just go straight to Origin. However, it's a very slow download...
  • Options
    Tommy92Tommy92 Posts: 230 New Member
    edited July 2012
    Okay, I have a similar problem. Unfortunately activate.ea.com now redirects to Origin, so that can't help me.

I registered my physical copy of The Sims 3: Late Night almost a year ago but it doesn't appear in Origin. I didn't really care about it but if anything were to happen to my disc, I couldn't download it. Origin redirects me to thesims3.com to register the game here, but I already have it registered here, so I can't register it again.

Is there anything I could do to make it appear in Origin as well?
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    DaisyDaisy Posts: 3 New Member
    edited August 2012
    I have uninstalled and reinstalled Origin twice. I shows all my games listed, all registered, but gives me no option to download them at all.