Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Little details I miss in the rain in The Sims 4 Seasons

celipoesiascelipoesias Posts: 433 Member
First of all, I'd like to say that I'm quite satisfied with The Sims 4 Seasons, and I like several small details that have been added to the game's climatic changes, from improvements to aspects already present before in past expansions about seasons, as well as new ones features that have been added especially in The Sims 4.

But obviously, not everything is perfect, and I would like to share with you some small details that I, particularly speaking, felt a bit lacking and I think they could have added to the game, especially the first one of them that I will talk about.

The first and main little detail I miss in The Sims 4 Seasons, and that exists in The Sims 2 Seasons and The Sims 3 Seasons is the impact of rainwater against the ground.

In the previous two generations, when it rained, it was possible to see those the raindrops forming, and this gave the impression that the water was actually hitting the ground.

giphy.gif

In The Sims 4, when it starts to rain, I get the impression that water is passing through the floor. There is no impact. The puddles of water begin to form in several places, but no raindrops appear in the puddles while it is raining. I think that's pretty weird.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

The interesting thing is that both in the water of the rivers, lakes, oceans and even water of the pool, there are raindrops, but on the ground, no.

giphy.gif

The only water-impact aspect I encountered in the worlds of The Sims 4 while it rained was these raindrops that are "walking" through specific areas such as sidewalks and other places. Yes, it is basically a water effect that is walking through predetermined areas.

giphy.gif

I liked it, but I did not find enough to make up for the lack of water impact on the ground.

I think they could have done a little better with the impact of rain on the ground, as in The Sims 2 and The Sims 3.

In The Sims 2, when it rained, you could occasionally see water slipping through the roof. I said "occasionally" because not all players pay attention to the scenario as a whole, and the roof may be one of them, who look at the roof on a rainy day?

However, it was one of those super cool little details that when we realized it, we were thrilled.

giphy.gif

As for The Sims 3, there was no detail of the water slipping down the roof like in The Sims 2, but there was water leaking on the edge of the roof when it rained. As for The Sims 4, we do not have water sliding down the roof, nor do we have water leaking over the edge of the roof.

(Sorry, I could not find a picture of this)

As I said, I recognize all the new little details that have been added to The Sims 4 Seasons right now, and the lack of detail I've pointed out here does not affect my gameplay, but it's a small detail that I really noticed and felt missing.

Thanks to everyone who read this post, it's just something I'd like to share, but not necessarily a critique of the game, because as I said, I'm quite pleased with what was delivered with The Sims 4 Seasons.
tenor.gif
Post edited by celipoesias on

Comments

• Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    I was sat looking at the rain in my game last night and thinking something wasn't right about it, but couldn't put my finger on why it looked so odd. You got it - it's because it doesn't show hitting the ground. Very sad.
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Yeah I really hope they'll fix that.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    JeanJean Posts: 1,243 Member
    I don't mind the snow not building up, but I find this inexcusable. Sims 2 and 3 both had this too, and I think this is a detail that you can't overlook. Sims 4, no matter how much I overall like Seasons, is going downhill for me.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Imho, it was poorly executed and not thought well out or they figured most of thier customers would not care or notice for it is seasons and it's imperfections would not be noticed. Sims 4 Seasons is not bad but some of its features are poorly executed.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    rambahadoerrambahadoer Posts: 405 Member
    Yes i also noticed this especially the ground effects are what annoy's me i really like the overall pack but this is quit annoying to me also that their are rain effects on pools/ lakes but not on hot tubs and kiddie pools and that objects don't look wet at least i haven't noticed this so correct me if i'm wrong and i hope i am
  • Options
    LolaLuvsSimsLolaLuvsSims Posts: 1,828 Member
    I'll say it again, I don't know how you guys notice this stuff. I haven't had and of my Sims homes positioned so I'd see the roofs while it was raining. Are you specifically looking for these things?
  • Options
    Honey_Pie_360Honey_Pie_360 Posts: 240 Member
    ikiamyetta wrote: »
    I'll say it again, I don't know how you guys notice this stuff. I haven't had and of my Sims homes positioned so I'd see the roofs while it was raining. Are you specifically looking for these things?

Well it's kinda like when you're buying something with your money I.e phone..car...etc..and you're checking to see if it has everything you know it should have and everything the manufacturers also claim it has and you're checking to see if everything is present and working fine especially if you've had or used an older or previous version of the thing. So yeah it's only natural to notice these flaws
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member

You don’t have to position your game at all, the roof of every non-active lot is visible at all times.
  • Options

You don’t have to position your game at all, the roof of every non-active lot is visible at all times.

I have so much going on with my families I barely pay attention to the other homes but I'll try to look at them today. I get really engrossed in the active lots.
  • Options

Well it's kinda like when you're buying something with your money I.e phone..car...etc..and you're checking to see if it has everything you know it should have and everything the manufacturers also claim it has and you're checking to see if everything is present and working fine especially if you've had or used an older or previous version of the thing. So yeah it's only natural to notice these flaws

I dont inspect the atmosphere in my game the way I check out my new gadgets. I just jump right in to playing with my family. Especially this time. I think I'll look for some of this stuff in game today.
  • Options
    TBH I don't think I ever even noticed the rain on the roof in TS2. I was always too busy trying to keep my little cousin's Sims from being shipped to military school
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,673 Member
    I agree it would look more complete with rain hitting the ground etc, but it's not important to me. And I can certainly look less on the ground, if that helps my rainy experience to feel more realistic.

Maybe they left it out to ease on game performance? Not sure if it would take up resources, but if adding many effects like that, some low end computers might strugle a bit?
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited July 2018
    Wouldn't mind them fixing this for those who care about this detail but I like most of the additions in terms of actual gameplay better than rain dripping on or from roofs (but I realize the OP did give credit to the additions as well, so this is no criticism). Personally I have spent so much time enjoying my game, the atmosphere, and the calendar, that I haven't even had the time to notice this. But sure, if it matters, then people should make their concerns known and perhaps they can patch this in at a later time! :)
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member

I have so much going on with my families I barely pay attention to the other homes but I'll try to look at them today. I get really engrossed in the active lots.

Well this thread is about how those details don’t exist in Sims 4 Seasons, so there’s really no point in going and looking.
  • Options

Well this thread is about how those details don’t exist in Sims 4 Seasons, so there’s really no point in going and looking.

I'm sorry I meant looking at the smaller neighborhood details. I usually just focus on my loy
  • Options
    BariSaxyBariSaxy Posts: 4,699 Member
    The only water-impact aspect I encountered in the worlds of The Sims 4 while it rained was these raindrops that are "walking" through specific areas such as sidewalks and other places. Yes, it is basically a water effect that is walking through predetermined areas.

giphy.gif

I'm pretty sure that's just an invisible sim glitch. lol
    OO2UdmJ.png
  • Options
    celipoesiascelipoesias Posts: 433 Member
    edited July 2018
    I dont inspect the atmosphere in my game the way I check out my new gadgets. I just jump right in to playing with my family. Especially this time. I think I'll look for some of this stuff in game today.

I don't want to sound rude, so I ask you not to interpret me this way.

But ... if the producers removed the neighborhood that's around the lot where your family lives, leaving you with just the lot, and besides it was that gray background, just like in The Sims 1, or that "emptiness" that existed beyond the lot in The Sims 2 Base Game, would you care? It's just that you seem so focused on what happens to your family in your lot that doesn't seem to matter much to the world around your Sims' home. :o

I'm a type of player who, in addition to focusing on my family, also likes to pay close attention to the environment around my Sims and especially the small details. I am a player who values a lot of the small details because I believe they are fundamental to make the game experience as a whole more immersive and truthful, and if it is a game that addresses not only the life of the Sims, but the whole environment in their back, I will always expect the best, especially in relation to details that were present in previous games.

The Sims 2 is an extremely beloved game by the Simmer community, and one of the main reasons for this, and that many people always talk about, is because of the large amount of small details it has, but The Sims 3 and The Sims 4 do not.

I understand that, for you, such details cited in this publication do not catch your eye to the point that you haven' even noticed them, but there are many other players (like me) who are always very attentive for beyond their virtual families, paying close attention in the neighborhood, in the visual effects, and many other aspects that go beyond the simple simulation of Sims. :smiley:

tenor.gif
  • Options

But ... if the producers removed the neighborhood that's around the lot where your family lives, leaving you with just the lot, and besides it was that gray background, just like in The Sims 1, or that "emptiness" that existed beyond the lot in The Sims 2 Base Game, would you care? It's just that you seem so focused on what happens to your family in your lot that doesn't seem to matter much to the world around your Sims' home. :o

I'm a type of player who, in addition to focusing on my family, also likes to pay close attention to the environment around my Sims and especially the small details. I am a player who values a lot of the small details because I believe they are fundamental to make the game experience as a whole more immersive and truthful, and if it is a game that addresses not only the life of the Sims, but the whole environment in their back, I will always expect the best, especially in relation to details that were present in previous games.

The Sims 2 is an extremely beloved game by the Simmer community, and one of the main reasons for this, and that many people always talk about, is because of the large amount of small details it has, but The Sims 3 and The Sims 4 do not.

I understand that, for you, such details cited in this publication do not catch your eye to the point that you haven' even noticed them, but there are many other players (like me) who are always very attentive for beyond their virtual families, paying close attention in the neighborhood, in the visual effects, and many other aspects that go beyond the simple simulation of Sims. :smiley:

I definitely don't want to go back to the Sims 1 style play but I do get so engrossed that I really don't notice the small details. I notice the Sims walking by and now the leaf piles but maybe because Sims is my time to unwind I don't see those details. At work I'm the small details person, if I forget one thing or don't notice a mistake everything goes haywire, I like a break from that.
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member

Well I agree that the attention to detail in TS2 has never ever failed to put a smile on my face. Neither back then nor now. In that respect, it puts all other sims games to shame. But then it surely misses other things we have in TS3 and TS4. Still, TS2 animations forever <3
  • Options
    SlyvanasSlyvanas Posts: 855 Member
    You couldn't be more right. I am really hoping this is something that they can add in a patch? Maybe someone could ping a guru ( though honestly I am quite sure they are aware of it)

While I really do like seasons the lack of rain and snow detail truly saddens me. Even if they just applied the water droplets effect actually hitting the ground that would be a major improvement.

oxv0Rm8.png
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    edited July 2018
    Didn't even notice some details from sims 2 like the roof until much later it's a very nice touch. Sometimes I get so involved with gameplay I don't notice a lot of smaller things. Snow fall in Sims 2 was nice, but too bad the snow texture was pretty terrible and how awkward the depth looks when it cuts off at the sidewalk.

Guess it was okay to add those details in the Sims 2 since you were constrained to one lot, but I'd still like to see a few added details like that in Sims 4. Though I haven't really been actively looking for small details in like, pshh ANY of the game. When I do notice them I think it's pretty cool.
    Post edited by LadyKyn on
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member

Thank you for I agree if it was not seen in previous versions then most will not pay attention to the flaws.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    JimG72JimG72 Posts: 1,161 Member

Except when new versions of phones, cars, etc. are released, they aren't just carbon copies of the old versions. Many of the same features and design will usually be there...but some things will be gone...and some things will be added...and some things will be changed and function a little differently or have a slightly different appearance.

I don't really get why some people think that something should automatically be the same way in Sims 4 that it was in Sims 2 or 3....it's a new game with a new game engine. Saying the game "should" have certain things is a matter of opinion. Thankfully, I only played Sims 2 for about a week or two and never played Sims 3 so I don't get caught up in comparing every aspect and detail of Sims 4 to its predecessors....I'm able to just play Sims 4 for what it is and enjoy it without bringing into it any artificial expectations from past versions of the game.

• Options
    JemkatkJemkatk Posts: 199 Member
    I dunno.. The weather just doesn't look convincing to me either.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    JimG72 wrote: »
    I don't really get why some people think that something should automatically be the same way in Sims 4 that it was in Sims 2 or 3....it's a new game with a new game engine. Saying the game "should" have certain things is a matter of opinion. Thankfully, I only played Sims 2 for about a week or two and never played Sims 3 so I don't get caught up in comparing every aspect and detail of Sims 4 to its predecessors....I'm able to just play Sims 4 for what it is and enjoy it without bringing into it any artificial expectations from past versions of the game.
    In the case of weather, comparing it to previous versions is neither here nor there. If it doesn't look right then it doesn't look right.

We can all see out of our windows what the weather should be like. And if it isn't done properly then people are going to be unhappy with it.