Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Omg toddlers!

So I created a new family and I was planning to focus more on the parents, make them travel around and develop their artsy skills. For some reason I also decided to give them 3 toddlers and I added a nanny thinking she would make it easier to deal with the kids while I focused on the parents.

OMG not even a sim day passed before I realized that I would have to just focus on the nanny in order to not let the kids be taken away! I eventually was able to give her the never weary trait but still the poor lady does not have a break! Toddlers are so overwhelming! Can't wait for the little devils to grow up.

Comments

• Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    Lol. Bless the little creatures.

I am just playing with my first inquisitive toddler and, jeez, she is never still! Sim mum is at the end of her tether.

258.png?dl=0

Firstly mum had answered the door to a neighbour and when she got back to the lounge the little darling had spread paint on the floor, while she was cleaning that up the toddler went and got a pile of clothes out of the dresser and put on the floor. Then when she gave her breakfast, she just chucked that on the floor.

I know toddlers will do all sorts of stuff, but I never had them go at it one after another after another lol. She's a delight!
  • Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    One word of advice. If you want to focus on adult Sims, don't ever give them even just a single toddler. They require constant attention and if you don't give it, you will receive threats that they may get taken away. Personally, I resent this life stage. I'm just not ready to drop everything because of a Sim kid :/

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Options
    ParmaViolet87ParmaViolet87 Posts: 1,800 Member
    edited July 2018
    Toddlers, although cute, are a plumming nightmare. :lol: I can barely manage one never mind three!

I usually wait until late early adult or adult stage before giving my Sims children. Enjoy the freedom while it lasts lol
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    MaggiedollMaggiedoll Posts: 241 Member
    Jprp83 wrote: »
    OMG not even a sim day passed before I realized that I would have to just focus on the nanny in order to not let the kids be taken away! I eventually was able to give her the never weary trait but still the poor lady does not have a break! Toddlers are so overwhelming! Can't wait for the little devils to grow up.

If there's food out that they can get to, they'll eat it without the high chair. If you have the movie stuff pack, you can put out the popcorn popper. Sims tend to autonomously pop popcorn, and the toddlers will just grab it if they're hungry. Might not accomplish all your goals, but it'll prevent them from being taken away.
  • Options
    Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    First thing is getting rid of the high chairs.
  • Options
    RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    I've found it's easier to raise tots giving them more independence, unlike toys and blocks they don't get bored of their little tablets so you can leave them with them with those while you deal with everything else. Independent toddlers can try to potty on their own but other traits need you to help them. I saw that you can sometimes cancel that once they are on the potty chair and walk away, keep group meals and just drag them out of the fridge for the tots to grab. They get tired pretty easily so nap time is also a good break, I just had a single mom raise three on her own doing this it becomes very easy to monitor them. In other families were the parent or parents left I would hire a nanny so you can still stay with the kids staying prepared keeps that easy too guess it depends on what else you want to do :smiley:
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    BlueSeaWavesBlueSeaWaves Posts: 4,431 Member
    Independent trait, huh. I always give my toddlers the charmer trait or angelic. I only recently give my last toddler the independent and it was so earlier! I actually forgot he was there and remembered when I got a notification that he’s hungry. Will keep this in mind for my next batch for the future generation
  • Options
    RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    edited July 2018
    I does help, I like the other traits so I don't always use it but it's nice especially if you have a lot of them to have a few that can just be left alone for most the day when you want to give older sims more to do.

Actually, now that I think about it in-game I believe it says they need less attention and learn faster on their own which makes them golden tots if I'm remembering right.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    Cherryrose_xCherryrose_x Posts: 524 Member
    Some of these comments made me chuckle a little. It sounds like a real life toddler so they hit the nail on the head with the realism!

I can't focus on my real adult life with a raging 2 year old in the house! :D
    Gallery name: Anna-Banna
  • Options
    feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    The independent trait is good, but to keep relationship bars high you need to ask the toddler to play or bath. you can't just click on the bath and choose Give Jenny a bath. you have to ask her if she wants one. and playing with her first and then asking makes for less tantrums. they will have more tantrums if you don't ask and keep that relationship bar up. also no high chair, I only put them in my commercial places, in case I want to bring a toddler along. because parents are always putting them in and taking them out.
  • Options
    FeisbukaiteFeisbukaite Posts: 703 Member
    I have three toddlers at the moment. My sims try for a baby autonomously, that’s how they got 3. One is about to age up, I can’t wait
  • Options
    SchantalSchantal Posts: 3,082 Member
    Toddlers, although cute, are a plumming nightmare. :lol: I can barely manage one never mind three!

I usually wait until late early adult or adult stage before giving my Sims children. Enjoy the freedom while it lasts lol

I had SIX in my household!! Bella Goth had two sets of twins and her daughter Casandra got pregnant as a teen and also had twins!! I was so overwhelmed. They were also pregnant at the same time which was.....interesting. I had to use the max motives cheat several times because it was so hard to take care of them. After a while though I got into a rhythm and just alternated, Bella, Cassandra, Morty, and Alexander taking care of all the babies. I have Mc Command center and you can make it so you have more than 8 sims in a household so thats how I ended up with 6 toddlers plus Bella, Morty, Cass, and Alexander lol.....yeah, that was a BIG mistake haha. WAY too much work honestly.
  • Options
    Scorpina2009Scorpina2009 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Toddlers are cute....but only for a few hours. LOL I like the child stage more; at least they can take care of themselves.
  • Options
    Schantal wrote: »

I had SIX in my household!! Bella Goth had two sets of twins and her daughter Casandra got pregnant as a teen and also had twins!! I was so overwhelmed. They were also pregnant at the same time which was.....interesting. I had to use the max motives cheat several times because it was so hard to take care of them. After a while though I got into a rhythm and just alternated, Bella, Cassandra, Morty, and Alexander taking care of all the babies. I have Mc Command center and you can make it so you have more than 8 sims in a household so thats how I ended up with 6 toddlers plus Bella, Morty, Cass, and Alexander lol.....yeah, that was a BIG mistake haha. WAY too much work honestly.

oh wow !!!!!!!!!!!!! If it were possible, I could see that driving Bella and Casandra to drink ! LOL
  • Options
    I downloaded a toddler from the gallery that already has ALL of the skills maxed out. Now I am ready for her to grow up to a child!
  • Options
    Schantal wrote: »

oh wow !!!!!!!!!!!!! If it were possible, I could see that driving Bella and Casandra to drink ! LOL

Lol!! Yea, more like poor me hahahaha. I got so overwhelmed with all the sims in that save that I had to take a break and go play another one of my families hahahaha.
  • Options
    I downloaded a toddler from the gallery that already has ALL of the skills maxed out. Now I am ready for her to grow up to a child!

I have downloaded adult sims that are maxed out in everything and they are soooooo much fun to play. I usually will have one sim that has barely any skills and marry them to the sim that has everything maxed out and that way I can still have a challenge of leveling up the one sim while experiencing everything with the other sim, its so much fun!!
  • Options
    JimG72JimG72 Posts: 1,161 Member
    Once you've done the 7 Toddler Challenge (raising 7 toddlers at the same time, each with a different trait)...or my version, the Fussy Septuplet Challenge (raising 7 identical toddlers, all with the fussy trait)...and you're not permitted to switch to the toddlers to control them....then raising 1, 2 or even 3 toddlers at the same time becomes a breeze, lol.
    Nindigo wrote: »
    One word of advice. If you want to focus on adult Sims, don't ever give them even just a single toddler. They require constant attention and if you don't give it, you will receive threats that they may get taken away. Personally, I resent this life stage. I'm just not ready to drop everything because of a Sim kid :/

Toddlers are always more fussy at first....once their Thinking skill is leveled up, they throw less tantrums, sleep better, defy less and cause trouble less. Once their Potty skill is leveled up, they run to the bathroom and take care of that themselves. Once you have the toddler skills leveled up, they pretty much take care of themselves...you just have to put some food out for them and give them a bath every so often. I've had dozens upon dozens of toddlers in-game and never even come close to having a threat to take them away. Put a dollhouse and stuffed animal in the house or a ballpit in the backyard and the toddlers will entertain themselves for the most part.
    Francl27 wrote: »
    First thing is getting rid of the high chairs.

The high chair is super easy to use too when it's used properly (i.e., select a toddler food through the high chair to feed them or place the toddler in the high chair and while the game is paused, place food from inventory on the high chair, direct the toddler to eat it and then unpause). What tends to get people in trouble with the high chair is that they place a plate of food on the high chair and then try to go pick up a starving toddler....the kid doesn't realize he or she is about to be fed so they ask to be taken out of the chair so they can grab the food for themselves. If you feed them by clicking on the high chair to select the food for them, an eating action is queued up for the toddler so they know they are about to be fed and so they don't try to get out of the high chair...and frankly, they fill up so fast, anything other than the toddler foods is a waste on them anyway.

• Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I've recently been doing something new with my toddlers to make sure I have as little hassle as possible. Once I start the game, I immediately have them play in the ball pit as many times as possible in a row. They get to movement level 4 by the end of it and can fully run, meaning they can get to where they need to go faster. Then just have a parent potty train them about 3-4 times in a row and they should be able to handle that on their own too. From there, I usually don't have that many issues. :)
  • Options
    agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member
    The thing with toddler is, only hunger is dangerous to them. All their needs can be in the red but as long as they're fed, you don't have to worry they'll be taken away.

It's good to have a plate of food on the table at all times. Can be anything but the spicy food! I actually find toddlers in 4 pretty self sustaining. They can reach for the food themselves. I bothered with the high chair at the beginning because I like realistic stuff but it just wasn't worth it. A multiple serving of something delicious and lots of toys laying around will do the trick :)
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    I love the toddlers, but I've only played more than one a few times. (It's very cute to see them interacting with each other - that's just one of the things they improved over previous Sims.) But, generally, I don't like to have more than two Sims in the household, no matter what their ages.

I like the 'clingy' trait, and the 'independent' trait can be useful. 'Inquisitive' doesn't seem to do much. 'Wild', I tried once and never again.

As others advise, chuck the high chair. Most of the toddler foods overfeed the kid (if she doesn't throw the food on the floor - grrrr). I feed mine a plate of superfood salad in the morning and just before bed, and it's just the right amount. (I also keep some fruit in their inventory in case they need a boost late in the day.)
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    ahoychristieahoychristie Posts: 88 Member
    I love toddlers. And giving my kids siblings, depending. I personally love raising them. I love taking them to the park and stuff. Wish they had more beds and wish you could still take them for walks in the pram. I remember having a walking thing for them in sims 3 and it was probably the best thing ever. Saved me from having to teach them how to walk them myself haha.

Best thing for this I've found is... my main family has a butler and he takes waaay better care of my toddler than any nanny has ever haha. The nannys are so flawed. You'll go out after they get to your house, and your toddler will be red the entire time.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Currently playing a household with single mom and her two toddlers. She has a butler and maid (not realistic but it's the sims). I mostly have her do her thing on the lot other than socialize or some fun play with the toddlers and have the toddlers ask the nanny or butler to help them with needs (and more). I've never tried letting them play autonomously I bet that would be a nightmare.
    Usually I don't play with toddlers for long periods of time. I have to be up for that type of play. Right now I guess I am cause they are really cute and all the seasons additions are helping me see it differently.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    SlyvanasSlyvanas Posts: 855 Member
    agustd wrote: »
    The thing with toddler is, only hunger is dangerous to them. All their needs can be in the red but as long as they're fed, you don't have to worry they'll be taken away.

It's good to have a plate of food on the table at all times. Can be anything but the spicy food! I actually find toddlers in 4 pretty self sustaining. They can reach for the food themselves. I bothered with the high chair at the beginning because I like realistic stuff but it just wasn't worth it. A multiple serving of something delicious and lots of toys laying around will do the trick :)

I found that out the hard way almost that the toddlers to NOT like the spicy food. lol I have a mod that "children and toddlers can die of anything" and my toddler was dangerously hungry I think my sim made some Pho? and i kept telling the toddler to grab a plate. They would, but then set it back down no matter how long i tried which made me panic. then it dawned on me that it may be to spicy for them and so i had someone quickly grab a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for them. Whew talk about a lesson
    oxv0Rm8.png
  • Options
    honeyboomhoneyboom Posts: 243 Member
    this is why i age up my sims like right away. babies and toddlers are just too much work
    "every star may be a sun to someone"-carl sagan