Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Demolishing a house

Rhiannon58Rhiannon58 Posts: 806 Member
I want to make sure that I don’t do anything to break my neighborhood. I have a house I had built that was really bad. A family live there for a while and then move to a different house. I want to rebuild the old house. Can I use the bulldozer icon from the house Overland map to do this or do I need to go into the house in build mode and take each wall, floor, etc. down piece by By piece so I don’t mess up my neighborhood?

Comments

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited June 2018
    The bulldozer also removes the 'land' so you would have to place down a new vacate lot template, but I think that would be better if you had any glitches hidden or known to go ahead and bulldoze it and start with a new vacant template.

ETA: What most of us do is never move Sims into an already lived in house/lot. We keep a copy of an unlived version in the bin or packaged to file if we want another Sim to move into that type house/decorations/land etc.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Thanks @Cinebar . I do need some clarification. First, there is no glitch or any known problem with the house. I just designed it poorly. Secondly, Why do you never move a Sim into a previously lived in house? I had always thought I could safely move my graduated college students into houses the parents had moved out of when they got more money and moved into bigger houses. So basically you are saying that once a family moves into a house, they should just tear down and rebuild on the same lot instead of moving into a larger place/lot?

If that is the case, I should probably restart my city. Playing the way I described above, many years ago, I thought I got to generation 6 being born with no problems. But I lost that computer hard drive and thus my saved game. I don’t know if it would have eventually gotten corrupted. My goal is to get to at least 10 generations or more. I like growing my city organically from scratch.
    Post edited by Rhiannon58 on
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    I never had the parents move out but things would be left behind wouldn't they like a dirty dish stuck somewhere? Or maybe something invisible stuck on the lot. I always let the parents die out and then move in the college student or they move back to inherit the land before the parent dies. That way I don't lose their family heirlooms and didn't have to redecorate the old house. But it runs the risk of a bugs on the lot, unseen. I have added on to existing houses after parents have died off etc. and I did keep their urns or headstones or move those to community graveyard. But all lots develop bugs after generations of Sims living in them. It may or may not cause ain problems for a very long time, but generation after generation of glitches can build up eventually. You may not see any problems for many generations. I wouldn't worry about it so much, until you start to see problems. Moving them in and out again can sometimes get rid of a lot of stuff. The Bat Box from Pescado can clear up any stuck/invisible visitors on a lot which is usually a problem after years of playing one lot.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Thanks for the explanation! I had no idea you could create problems like that. I’ve had as many as four DIFFERENT families live in the same small starter house. While I’m careful to load up all their stuff in inventory before moving, it sounds like I could be creating problems. So to more safely do what I want to do, I should probably start over, put those small houses on large lots that can be upgraded as family funds increase. The last thing I want is for RL years of work to end up corrupted.
  • Options
    I played one hood for over ten years off and on and though I saw a few glitches nothing game breaking, so I wouldn't worry about glitches so much. I never did let Holmes and Watson age and they lived in the same house for over ten years of real life game play, lol, I think corrution is over rated.
  • Options
    Ok then. I’ll continue as I am since 3rd generation is getting ready for college. But if my hood gets corrupted in 10 RL years or so, I’ll be sending you a sternly worded message. *laughs*
  • Options
    Rhiannon58 wrote: »
    Ok then. I’ll continue as I am since 3rd generation is getting ready for college. But if my hood gets corrupted in 10 RL years or so, I’ll be sending you a sternly worded message. *laughs*

ahaha, thanks for the belly laugh. :D
  • Options
    Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    Moving Sims out of one house and another family into it will not cause any neighborhood corruption.

Bulldozing a lot that does NOT have graves on it will not cause any neighborhood corruption.

It's only when you do things that can mess with character files that cause neighborhood corruption. Deleting Sims, putting occupied lots into and out of the lots bin, etc.

The funny thing about neighborhood corruption is that it doesn't progress at a standard rate. I like to think of it as a time bomb, but you don't know the time left. Could be 10 days. Could be 10 years.

I had a neighborhood give me horrible signs of corruption after 1 generation from doing things that caused corruption. Went back to a back up that was about 1/4 of the way through the generation. Didn't get major signs of corruption again until about 6 generations later.

It is however, something to keep in mind so you aren't suddenly surprised if one day trying to load the neighborhood causes the game to crash (that's end stage, but you typically get other problems that cause you to abandon the save before it gets that badly corrupted).

It's nothing to go into a panic over if you realize you've done it, because with a decent back up schedule, you will likely be able to play the neighborhood for as long as you want before things get too bad. But getting caught without back ups after you know you've done things that cause neighborhood corruption is not something I would want to happen to anyone. Especially to someone who had gone multiple generations in. Learning to not do things that cause neighborhood corruption and keeping decent back ups if you do, is not a lesson you should learn the hard way. Trust me. It's upsetting to realize that your neighborhood is badly corrupted. I learned this lesson the hard way.

Now lots that have been lived in for several generations may have some wonkiness that replacing it will help and long lived Sims with a ton of memories may develop a jump bug (I've never experienced it or researched it so I don't know how bad that is).
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Most of any corruption I ever had was when I used tools to 'clean up' memories, clean up Sims on lots, left behind etc. unseen, and conversions and some cc that no one would know that ever caused a problem. Those are hard to run down. But I supposedly corrupted that one neighborhood years ago when I moved some houses (with Sims) into a hood I created so it was corrupted from the beginning...it is the one hood I played for ten years. It still loads and plays today but I retired it about three years ago. It is sometimes just luck of the draw and using too many tools to 'fix' stuff that may be better left alone. As I said it had a few glitches but nothing that couldn't be played. And why I think corruption is overrated. Most things are bad lots.
  • Options
    Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Most of any corruption I ever had was when I used tools to 'clean up' memories, clean up Sims on lots, left behind etc. unseen, and conversions and some cc that no one would know that ever caused a problem. Those are hard to run down. But I supposedly corrupted that one neighborhood years ago when I moved some houses (with Sims) into a hood I created so it was corrupted from the beginning...it is the one hood I played for ten years. It still loads and plays today but I retired it about three years ago. It is sometimes just luck of the draw and using too many tools to 'fix' stuff that may be better left alone. As I said it had a few glitches but nothing that couldn't be played. And why I think corruption is overrated. Most things are bad lots.

And like I said, corruption doesn't reach end stage at any kind of predictable schedule. You do have a corrupted neighborhood and the lot corruption may be symptoms of it. You've been incredibly lucky if you regularly play the neighborhood as corruption only spreads when the neighborhood is actively played.

But, immediately deleting a neighborhood when corruption is discovered to have been done would be an overreaction for players who don't play neighborhoods longer than 3-5 generations on average.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the great information! I don't do any of those things liked that knowingly cause corruption. And as mentioned, I want to reach at least 10 generations in this neighborhood. So hopefully I'm good! A few years should tell all!