Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

TS4's Underrated Features.

One of my favorite things about this iteration of The Sims is the way the needs bars work. In previous versions of this game, I felt like I was spending so much time just managing needs, I could never really enjoy many of the other aspects of a sims' life. I'm glad they still have consequences for things like not getting off to the bathroom in time, but they really put that off to the bitter end; as well as making sims perform most tasks more efficiently (I understand that's not true in all situations, but I think the devs have really tried to manage that problem as well as they can).

I mostly notice this with the energy bar, especially since I spent my day raising three toddlers. Both parents are stay at home parents (a family friend gave them a large sum of simoleons as a thank you for helping them out), and by the end of the day, even with the toddlers going down for a nap in the afternoon, both of them are completely wiped, but they're able to go for an incredible amount of time before crashing into bed around midnight, and then getting up again around 5 or 6 am to tend to the toddlers again.

I don't think I let most of my sims sleep through the night either. A lot of them get up in the middle of the night to use the restroom as I do, and I enjoy that my sims can get through almost a full day without a nap on very little sleep as I do most of the time. Sometimes it's the little things that I find most enjoyable.

What are some other underrated features about TS4 that you enjoy?
Origin: ShadyLady1989 | please feel free to add/friend me!
Sims 4 Blog
Don't feed trolls. Do feed cowplants.

Comments

• Options
    ShadyLady89ShadyLady89 Posts: 908 Member
    Cloudiiii wrote: »
    I love the ability to travel from world to world rather than just staying in one

I did greatly miss rotational play in TS3, so I've been incredibly grateful to have that back in TS4.
    Sims 4 Blog
  • Options
    NickieNickieNickieNickie Posts: 11 New Member
    The camera presets in the game are awesome for machinima making, if they added in an option to make a sim 'Look at' for objects and other sims, it would be so easy to make Machinimas! Please add this in next patch!
  • Options
    The camera presets in the game are awesome for machinima making, if they added in an option to make a sim 'Look at' for objects and other sims, it would be so easy to make Machinimas! Please add this in next patch!

I was not aware of this, as I've never made any videos. Nice to know the devs put in so much work into so many different aspects of the game.
    Sims 4 Blog
  • Options
    NickieNickieNickieNickie Posts: 11 New Member
    > @ShadyLady89 said:
    > NickieNickie wrote: »
    >
    > The camera presets in the game are awesome for machinima making, if they added in an option to make a sim 'Look at' for objects and other sims, it would be so easy to make Machinimas! Please add this in next patch!
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I was not aware of this, as I've never made any videos. Nice to know the devs put in so much work into so many different aspects of the game.

I was dabbling around today and made this in 3 - 4 hours, I'm considering finishing the entire episode:
    youtube.com/watch?v=vYii-FQg-Jw
  • Options
    @NickieNickie that's impressive. You should definitely finish the episode.
    Sims 4 Blog
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Not having to cheat to enjoy the game in general. I really hate to use mods to make my game playable and now I don't have too.
    You mentioned the needs and for me that is absolutely huge. I know some people still have issues with managing needs and time but it's like a cakewalk now to me... and as you said I have time to enjoy their lives, hobbies ect. I do things that help me along of course such as getting up for a midnight snack if needed or sending them to the bathroom, they might even sneak in a video game in the middle of the night for some quick fun before going back to bed, it just makes more sense now.. and they aren't cranky getting out of bed.
    I really don't know if some of the things I like are under-rated but another one is switching between aspirations easily. I usually have a sim that completes many in their lifetime and now that we have more to choose from through added packs I usually only choose ones that make sense for that sim. I do like getting and using reward points.
    Skilling is usually quite entertaining .. I guess this is subjective but again in the first two in the series I got in the habit of skilling my sims through books, mostly due to cost of objects. Unfortunately a large portion of my game play was doing that I must have enjoyed it at that time though because I remember doing it a lot and also cheating needs. Now my sims rarely read, unless it's in character to do so. They learn by doing. I make use of the gallery and community lots to have everything easily accessible to them... and their needs don't drop just getting to a community lot...
    The Gallery.. I can't imagine playing the game without this now both my library and such easy access to other builds and ideas. Also just the ease of building on the fly. It's not complicated now.. you don't have to go in and out of your game play on most public lots to build (and of course you can cheat.. I just usually don't).
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    edited June 2018
    we can make more food in more ways then ever before
    we can make aliens in cas for the first time
    and we can go to work with are sims in a whole new way
    Post edited by comicsforlife on
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    vancanuckfan86vancanuckfan86 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Being able to pick up and drop a building/room/wall if you want it moved two squares to the right instead of having to rebuild the whole thing. There things to complain about when it comes to build mode, but that feature is a lifesaver.

Totally agree - love the fact that if I want to expand a room I can just highlight the wall and move it, while everything in the room expands with it! Amazing feature!!
  • Options
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    Not having to cheat to enjoy the game in general. I really hate to use mods to make my game playable and now I don't have too.
    You mentioned the needs and for me that is absolutely huge. I know some people still have issues with managing needs and time but it's like a cakewalk now to me... and as you said I have time to enjoy their lives, hobbies ect. I do things that help me along of course such as getting up for a midnight snack if needed or sending them to the bathroom, they might even sneak in a video game in the middle of the night for some quick fun before going back to bed, it just makes more sense now.. and they aren't cranky getting out of bed.
    I really don't know if some of the things I like are under-rated but another one is switching between aspirations easily. I usually have a sim that completes many in their lifetime and now that we have more to choose from through added packs I usually only choose ones that make sense for that sim. I do like getting and using reward points.
    Skilling is usually quite entertaining .. I guess this is subjective but again in the first two in the series I got in the habit of skilling my sims through books, mostly due to cost of objects. Unfortunately a large portion of my game play was doing that I must have enjoyed it at that time though because I remember doing it a lot and also cheating needs. Now my sims rarely read, unless it's in character to do so. They learn by doing. I make use of the gallery and community lots to have everything easily accessible to them... and their needs don't drop just getting to a community lot...
    The Gallery.. I can't imagine playing the game without this now both my library and such easy access to other builds and ideas. Also just the ease of building on the fly. It's not complicated now.. you don't have to go in and out of your game play on most public lots to build (and of course you can cheat.. I just usually don't).

Everything you mentioned is wonderful, and I would say definitely underrated. It's easy to take the things we've gotten used to for granted. I tried going back to play TS3 once, several months ago, and wow--just trying to get used to the interactions menu was difficult, not to mention the insane way the camera worked.

With skilling, I do much the same thing. Rarely do my sims read books anymore, which is good for my save file, as in TS3 that was a thing that caused A LOT of lag.

And yes, the Gallery is a huge thing! I'm with you, not sure I could get used to being without it.

I definitely don't cheat needs hardly ever, there's just never really much of a reason,
    Sims 4 Blog
  • Options
    I love the fact that Sims can wear any of the in game outfits as maternity clothing while pregnant!

that is a really good one
  • Options
    gothprincess4evergothprincess4ever Posts: 2,130 Member
    I'm a family player myself and I can totally relate to your thoughts and feelings concerning my Sims' needs. In The Sims 2 especially, caring for toddlers, while also trying to get closer to a promotion at work and trying to take part in various social activities, became too much to handle in multiple occasions. And there were many times when I felt underwhelmed and somewhat annoyed with the needs bar. I feel very differently when it comes to The Sims 4. As you said, I can enjoy many aspects of the game without focusing on their needs for a long period of time.

Other underestimated features that I honestly think they deserve more love:
    - We can make Aliens in CAS
    - Pregnancy: not different stages, but a gradual growth of the baby bump (and no maternity clothes, the FREEDOM!!!)
    - In Build Mode, expanding rooms or walls with just a quick dragging (and everything in the room goes along!)
    - Various recipes of food and more details in graphics when it comes to them
    - Traveling from world to world
    - All Sims can live in all worlds (you don't have to save them and stuff)
    - Favorite Households (the ability to exclude your Sims from the culling system)
    - Toddlers! (Far better than any other generation of The Sims)
    - The Emotion System makes the Sims look more realistic (the ones in TS3 looked like robots to me, sorry)
    - Switching between Aspirations without losing progress in any of them (a VERY useful feature)

All in all, I know that The Sims 4 has got various faults and I alternate between playing TS2, TS3 and TS4, but I love The Sims 4 for the good graphics and some options that we didn't have in the past. I can connect to my TS4 Sims more than what I felt for my TS3 ones. I'm very optimistic for the upcoming EP and I really liked the Cats and Dogs EP. (Yes, I love TS2 gameplay so much, too, no doubt there.) :D
  • Options
    ShaddBoiShaddBoi Posts: 795 Member
    edited June 2018
    The multi-tasking feature is great! It's so awesome to be able to work out and watch cooking channel at the same time. Saves a lot of time in the long run. I do not use cheats, mods, or even the Jasmine Holiday rewards, so my sims have to earn everything they achieve. So multi-tasking is a great feature for me.

I have a pretty high end gaming computer, but 4 runs so much better and more smoothly than 3 ever did, which is a huge plus!

Oh yes...and the ultra fast speed time while sleeping and working is a huge improvement over the Sims 3! I used to hate sitting there waiting for the sims to finish sleeping in 3...and, the longer the game when on, the slower the speed went as the game started to lag and be bogged down by numerous sims, tons of inventory, and spawning pets.
  • Options
    SimGlitter wrote: »
    I like the fact that despite having the best graphics out of all the Sims games, The Sims 4 has much faster loading times, even on mid-range PC's. The lack of cars and open world has disappointed a lot of Sims fans, which is understandable because that's what made The Sims 3 stand out from The Sims 4. But this has definitely made gaming smoother and lag-free for a lot of people. Another thing I like about the game is, of course, the gallery. New rooms and lots can be downloaded in seconds and sharing sims and lots you have created has become much easier.

I'm with you. While I enjoyed the TS3 hobby of restoring an old car, and was looking forward to maybe having that back, I'm much more inclined to prefer a game that runs on any PC.
    Sims 4 Blog
  • Options
    @comicsforlife I do enjoy being able to make aliens in CAS!
    Sims 4 Blog
  • Options
    me to
  • Options
    I'm a family player myself and I can totally relate to your thoughts and feelings concerning my Sims' needs. In The Sims 2 especially, caring for toddlers, while also trying to get closer to a promotion at work and trying to take part in various social activities, became too much to handle in multiple occasions. And there were many times when I felt underwhelmed and somewhat annoyed with the needs bar. I feel very differently when it comes to The Sims 4. As you said, I can enjoy many aspects of the game without focusing on their needs for a long period of time.

Other underestimated features that I honestly think they deserve more love:
    - We can make Aliens in CAS
    - Pregnancy: not different stages, but a gradual growth of the baby bump (and no maternity clothes, the FREEDOM!!!)
    - In Build Mode, expanding rooms or walls with just a quick dragging (and everything in the room goes along!)
    - Various recipes of food and more details in graphics when it comes to them
    - Traveling from world to world
    - All Sims can live in all worlds (you don't have to save them and stuff)
    - Favorite Households (the ability to exclude your Sims from the culling system)
    - Toddlers! (Far better than any other generation of The Sims)
    - The Emotion System makes the Sims look more realistic (the ones in TS3 looked like robots to me, sorry)
    - Switching between Aspirations without losing progress in any of them (a VERY useful feature)

All in all, I know that The Sims 4 has got various faults and I alternate between playing TS2, TS3 and TS4, but I love The Sims 4 for the good graphics and some options that we didn't have in the past. I can connect to my TS4 Sims more than what I felt for my TS3 ones. I'm very optimistic for the upcoming EP and I really liked the Cats and Dogs EP. (Yes, I love TS2 gameplay so much, too, no doubt there.) :D

@gothprincess4ever Toddlers are much better in this version than previous versions. I don't want to rush them off to childhood anymore. Speaking of children, I'm also a fan of the fact that children can play instruments again. That being said, I would enjoy more instruments in game, but all in due time.
    Sims 4 Blog
  • Options
    ShaddBoi wrote: »
    The multi-tasking feature is great! It's so awesome to be able to work out and watch cooking channel at the same time. Saves a lot of time in the long run. I do not use cheats, mods, or even the Jasmine Holiday rewards, so my sims have to earn everything they achieve. So multi-tasking is a great feature for me.

I have a pretty high end gaming computer, but 4 runs so much better and more smoothly than 3 ever did, which is a huge plus!

Oh yes...and the ultra fast speed time while sleeping and working is a huge improvement over the Sims 3! I used to hate sitting there waiting for the sims to finish sleeping in 3...and, the longer the game when on, the slower the speed went as the game started to lag and be bogged down by numerous sims, tons of inventory, and spawning pets.

@ShaddBoi agreed, multitasking is wonderful! It's one of the reasons I struggle when returning to playing TS3 or TS2; I used to have to line up a bunch of different actions in the que in 2&3, but now most actions can be done simultaneously. I also often have my sims work out and watch the cooking channel as well!
    Sims 4 Blog
  • Options

@ShaddBoi agreed, multitasking is wonderful! It's one of the reasons I struggle when returning to playing TS3 or TS2; I used to have to line up a bunch of different actions in the que in 2&3, but now most actions can be done simultaneously. I also often have my sims work out and watch the cooking channel as well!

Funny you say that...went back to playing Sims 3 last week to review the Seasons and what they looked like, and I was not used to not having multi tasking. The game felt so foreign after not playing it for so long. Still great game, but def like how Sims 4 is way more fluid. Some may argue that is because Sims 4 has way less content, but, thus far, it's working for me. Cannot wait for Seasons though!!
  • Options

Funny you say that...went back to playing Sims 3 last week to review the Seasons and what they looked like, and I was not used to not having multi tasking. The game felt so foreign after not playing it for so long. Still great game, but def like how Sims 4 is way more fluid. Some may argue that is because Sims 4 has way less content, but, thus far, it's working for me. Cannot wait for Seasons though!!

@ShaddBoi I definitely agree that TS4 is more fluid, and the only reason it has less content is because it hasn't been out long enough to accumulate everything TS3 had. People need to remember that there was a whole store's worth of content for that game, and almost no one could run that game effectively on their PC (I struggled a lot). TS3 was great fun, but I really don't miss it. TS2, for what it's worth, was my favorite iteration of the Sims until TS4.
    Sims 4 Blog
  • Options

@ShaddBoi I definitely agree that TS4 is more fluid, and the only reason it has less content is because it hasn't been out long enough to accumulate everything TS3 had. People need to remember that there was a whole store's worth of content for that game, and almost no one could run that game effectively on their PC (I struggled a lot). TS3 was great fun, but I really don't miss it. TS2, for what it's worth, was my favorite iteration of the Sims until TS4.

Yes, I wish I hadn't gotten rid of my sims 2 disks. I had them all but gave them away several years ago. That really was an awesome game!

Another thing I forgot to mention is that load screens really don't bother me in 4. I find them to be somewhat helpful since they tend to clear away any "sins" that may occur at the location, where, in sims 3, you would get objects stuck in the surrounding that you couldn't get rid of. Things like plates and even stuck Sims.