Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

If something new is shown at EA Play regarding The Sims Franchise, what do you think it will be?

Comments

• Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Regardless whatever that's coming is Sims 5 or not, I will never support Sims 5 if it continues the legacy of disappointments of Sims 4.

I don’t think TS5 will be shown any time soon, but I certainly agree with this.

After The Sims 4, if they want to keep me as a customer of this franchise, they had better start actually innovating within the life sim genre. As it stands, I’ve been avoiding purchasing anything for TS4. There are just so many other games right now that deserve my money, and actually deliver nothing but pure fun with zero catch.

I’m just burned out on waiting months on end for content, buying it, and finding that it lacks depth, is buggy, lacks fun design, does not progress the series in any meaningful way, and lasts a few hours long before getting boring. The latest update with FFXV costumes pushed me to get Final Fantasy XV for the PC, and it’s been absolutely phenomenal so far. Clearly, other companies have had no problem advancing their franchises. Must be an EA thing.
  • Options
    Prink34320Prink34320 Posts: 5,078 Member
    Probably an Expansion Pack reveal, if they were to give news of The Sims 5, especially after The Sims 4 has been receiving great quality dlc lately, I think there will be backlash and EA certainly doesn't need anymore of that after Mass Effect: Andromeda and Star Wars Battlefront 2. It will just make EA look excessively greedy, they should just focus on The Sims 4 as their main PC line and work on The Sims Mobile and Freeplay for their mobile line.
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.
  • Options
    coolguy6422coolguy6422 Posts: 1 New Member
    Hey, I agree with most people that its not TS5 but i do think its something big, I mean why would this meeting with the Game Changers be so Secretive, me personal, i think its a New Multiplayer mode for TS4.
  • Options
    Lomelindi7Lomelindi7 Posts: 1,339 Member
    I hope it reveals seasons coming out because I will be so upset if Sims 5 is announced and they haven’t even put most things into Sims 4 yet. Here I’d be left with an unfinished game and I’m not willing to wait for all this stuff again in Sims 5. You can bet I wouldn’t be buying Sims 5 at all, unless it were a few years in and I could see it had great content. I think it would be a huge mistake to announce it now. But who knows. My speculation skills aren’t very good anymore as they concern this game. Some of the recent news and releases have puzzled me.
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    I really hope it will be TS5.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    TS1299 wrote: »
    The next Expansion Pack. I doubt it woll be The Sims 5, do it amd backlash will start to rise again.

They’ve never announced an EP at EAPlay before, and you’d think Cats & Dogs would have been the first, if they were to ever do so.
    No I don’t think it will be a pack announcement, it’s either a teaser for TS5, or nothing. No EP is big enough or important enough to break the trend of ‘no announcement at EAPlay.’

I think the announcement might have more to do with Sims 4 Console rather than PC -- maybe an announcement about the next planned content release. Does Console have Cats & Dogs yet?

I also doubt that it would be Sims 5 -- that would immediately kill Sims 4 sales as people would start saving up their Simoleons for Sims 5.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    If they reveal The Sims 5, it better has pools, toddlers, ghosts, a Color Wheel and more open worlds from the beginning or I'm going to be mad

I'd settle for open neighborhoods with loading screens going between neighborhoods/worlds. I don't want to go back to being stuck in the same world for entire generations, or moving to another world but losing all your existing family/friend relationships like in Sims 3.

Not to speak ill of the departed, but it feels like the game did take a turn for the better with the change in management, meaning when Rachel Franklin left and we got Lyndsey Pearson who is a Sim veteran. The Sims is a unique game -- unlike games where you have a definitive end, the Sims are endless. Even if your original Sim dies, you can pick up and go one with any other Sim in the game. Barring save corruption, you can play the same save for years; I'm sure there are players who have been playing the same save since September 2014 when the game released. (not me, I've got too short an attention sp...oh look, shiny!). I think that takes a certain perspective and attitude that can't be easily found in the game industry.
  • Options
    jude72plajude72pla Posts: 784 Member
    edited March 2018
    Okay I'm going too throw my guess into this juggernaut of speculation.. It will be open neighborhoods as a free update, EP will be seasons and a GP with tweens in it.

Edit. P.s. I forgot cars
  • Options
    gummybear0724gummybear0724 Posts: 1,146 Member
    I'd say an EP, I've been thinking we may get an early EP this year, I imagine it wouldn't be seasons but something more unexpected, maybe we'll get seasons late Nov- early December.
  • Options
    Hey, I agree with most people that its not TS5 but i do think its something big, I mean why would this meeting with the Game Changers be so Secretive, me personal, i think its a New Multiplayer mode for TS4.

I don't see how they squeeze in multiplayer at this stage of the game -- but if that is the case it better be completely optional (and no offering special bonuses if you play multiplayer) or I'm definitely out. Might even uninstall the game if they force it in an update without an option to turn it off.

• Options
    x_Always_Heart_xx_Always_Heart_x Posts: 567 Member
    I think ita going to be something about a new expansion pack.

Things could change and we won’t see sims 5 for the next few years, sims 4 just doesn’t seem like it’s over yet.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    I think it will be cars. They stickied that thread asking for players input, remember? Just like they did with toddlers, except that cars wouldn't take as long to develop. I think they might announce that they're coming and maybe there will be an early access trial at EA Play.

Just a guess.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    aleeeexxxpaleeeexxxp Posts: 159 Member
    I think it will be seasons because of all pf these hints they have been including in packs. I hope they announce an expansion pack though, even if it is not seasons.
  • Options
    ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    I'm a little confused with the whole TS5 idea. Didn't Graham said that now when the big Pets expansion pack is done, they can work on new exciting packs, or something like that? I don't now, I got impression that there's a lot to do with TS4 (and I think so myself), but everybody suddenly talks about TS5... Anyway, it'd be rather odd if they annouce now the game to come in few years, the Sims Mobile is not interesting to me at all, so I hope it's about a new expansion.

I wouldn't worry about it being TS5 yet. I think some people who really dislike this version have their wishful-thinking caps on, is all. Maxis has been pretty clear that they're following a different release schedule/pattern for dlc with TS4 and, even more recently, that they'll be offering plenty more content for this game. I really do think they plan on continuing with this version for awhile yet to come.

But, this is the speculation section so, like everyone else, I'm just speculating. Either way, I'm interested to see what they're planning next for the Sims.
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    ebuchala wrote: »
    I'm a little confused with the whole TS5 idea. Didn't Graham said that now when the big Pets expansion pack is done, they can work on new exciting packs, or something like that? I don't now, I got impression that there's a lot to do with TS4 (and I think so myself), but everybody suddenly talks about TS5... Anyway, it'd be rather odd if they annouce now the game to come in few years, the Sims Mobile is not interesting to me at all, so I hope it's about a new expansion.

I wouldn't worry about it being TS5 yet. I think some people who really dislike this version have their wishful-thinking caps on, is all. Maxis has been pretty clear that they're following a different release schedule/pattern for dlc with TS4 and, even more recently, that they'll be offering plenty more content for this game. I really do think they plan on continuing with this version for awhile yet to come.
    There is no doubt that TS4 will get another EP, a GP and at least 4 more SPs which is quite a lot. But this doesn’t prevent EA from announcing TS5 in a couple of months and then release it about 15 months later in the second half of 2019. So I think that the wishful thinking is mostly done by the dreamers who want TS4 to continue to 2022 or even later ;)

Graham said the they follow a different schedule with the packs for TS4. But we already know that because we have seen that at least half of the usual EPs now are replaced by both the new GPs and by many more SPs. Again the wishful dreamers instead overinterpretate the statement to mean a guarantee that TS4 will continue forever until TS4 even has more EPs than TS3 got ;)
    But, this is the speculation section so, like everyone else, I'm just speculating. Either way, I'm interested to see what they're planning next for the Sims.
    I have followed this debate closely and I am not especially interested in TS5 even though I don’t play TS4 anymore. The reason is that I don’t think that the release of TS5 will stop the changed schedule with many smaller packs instead of a lot of big EPs. Actually I fear that TS5 won’t get even a single EP but only GPs and even more SPs than TS4 got.
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    I honestly feel like TS4 has reached the end of it's rope regarding features. Nothing actually new has been added, in terms of gameplay systems, to this game in a while.

If we ignore Jungle Adventure, Cats & Dogs, Parenthood, Vampires, maybe.
    All of these packs added lots of heavy new gameplay to TS4.
  • Options
    SimplyobsessedSimplyobsessed Posts: 315 Member
    They will announce Seasons EP for November.
  • Options
    Erpe wrote: »

There is no doubt that TS4 will get another EP, a GP and at least 4 more SPs which is quite a lot. But this doesn’t prevent EA from announcing TS5 in a couple of months and then release it about 15 months later in the second half of 2019. So I think that the wishful thinking is mostly done by the dreamers who want TS4 to continue to 2022 or even later ;)

Graham said the they follow a different schedule with the packs for TS4. But we already know that because we have seen that at least half of the usual EPs now are replaced by both the new GPs and by many more SPs. Again the wishful dreamers instead overinterpretate the statement to mean a guarantee that TS4 will continue forever until TS4 even has more EPs than TS3 got ;)
    I have followed this debate closely and I am not especially interested in TS5 even though I don’t play TS4 anymore. The reason is that I don’t think that the release of TS5 will stop the changed schedule with many smaller packs instead of a lot of big EPs. Actually I fear that TS5 won’t get even a single EP but only GPs and even more SPs than TS4 got.

We'll have to agree to disagree on when they're planning on releasing TS5. I've suspected since they released TS4 that they were planning on trying to extend it for at least half again (if not double) the normal life span of the previous Sims games, though I'm sure it's all dependent on how well the expansions continue to sell which is essentially what's been said--they'll continue to make packs for TS4 until it doesn't make sense anymore, which, logically speaking, implies that they'll do it until they feel like releasing a new version is going to make them more money than continuing to extend the current version. No "overinterpretation" involved. But it makes sense to slow down the release schedule of EPs and beef things up with SPs and GPs for content with a longer life span on the base game. I guess we'll know more in a 3 months or so, though.

To be honest, with this iteration, I prefer the GPs anyway. Though I think that speaks more to their EP team than EPs in general. I think the GP team has been spot on with most of their packs while the EPs have been kind of meh. I don't know that I'd have a problem with them sticking with GPs and SPs and releasing more of both for TS5. I feel like we get more options that way, anyway, to customize our game. To me, the EPs have felt almost like slightly beefier GPs and with the price being double, I'm more inclined to feel like I'm getting my money's worth with GPs than with EPs this go around.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited March 2018
    If they reveal The Sims 5, it better has pools, toddlers, ghosts, a Color Wheel and more open worlds from the beginning or I'm going to be mad

I'd settle for open neighborhoods with loading screens going between neighborhoods/worlds. I don't want to go back to being stuck in the same world for entire generations, or moving to another world but losing all your existing family/friend relationships like in Sims 3.

Not to speak ill of the departed, but it feels like the game did take a turn for the better with the change in management, meaning when Rachel Franklin left and we got Lyndsey Pearson who is a Sim veteran. The Sims is a unique game -- unlike games where you have a definitive end, the Sims are endless. Even if your original Sim dies, you can pick up and go one with any other Sim in the game. Barring save corruption, you can play the same save for years; I'm sure there are players who have been playing the same save since September 2014 when the game released. (not me, I've got too short an attention sp...oh look, shiny!). I think that takes a certain perspective and attitude that can't be easily found in the game industry.
    Actually even in Sims 3 you don’t have to with mods (and cheats, nothing easier than repairing a friendship in the game), I can repair family trees just fine now with Mastercontroller. I’m convinced they are capable of creating a world way bigger than a TS4 neighborhood and connect them. Not in the least because a moderator even managed to do it with the TS3 worlds. It’s possible so I won’t settle for much less (the worlds don’t need to be as big as Sims 3’s, but they’ll have to be as open and immersive for me).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member

But for the moment the content still come in praticaly the same order as TS2 & TS3.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options

We'll have to agree to disagree on when they're planning on releasing TS5. I've suspected since they released TS4 that they were planning on trying to extend it for at least half again (if not double) the normal life span of the previous Sims games, though I'm sure it's all dependent on how well the expansions continue to sell which is essentially what's been said--they'll continue to make packs for TS4 until it doesn't make sense anymore, which, logically speaking, implies that they'll do it until they feel like releasing a new version is going to make them more money than continuing to extend the current version. No "overinterpretation" involved. But it makes sense to slow down the release schedule of EPs and beef things up with SPs and GPs for content with a longer life span on the base game. I guess we'll know more in a 3 months or so, though.
    I just don’t understand the reasoning behind this. Where have they ever said that TS4 will get a longer life than TS2 or TS3 got??

EA makes games only to earn money and it must therefore be EA’s top who decide how long time each Sims game can live until EA’s top want the next basegame released. So this decision can’t be about what the developing teams want. Instead it is based on marketing.

So what EA’s top always have had to consider is for how long time a basegame should have packs before it is better to release a new basegame to make the packs sell better again and EA’s top have always decided to make the next basegame ready to be released after 5 years. Also they have always made certain that the next basegame has something new that can be used in the marketing to persuade simmers to buy it immediately even though they already have the previous basegame with all packs. So I am sure that EA will do that again unless the sales numbers for TS4 have become so low that EA has decided not to make TS5 at all.

The only thing that has changed is that EA’s top decided that TS4 should only have one EP each year because the other EP should instead be replaced by GPs. But why should that prolong TS4’s life beyound 5 years?
    To be honest, with this iteration, I prefer the GPs anyway. Though I think that speaks more to their EP team than EPs in general. I think the GP team has been spot on with most of their packs while the EPs have been kind of meh. I don't know that I'd have a problem with them sticking with GPs and SPs and releasing more of both for TS5. I feel like we get more options that way, anyway, to customize our game. To me, the EPs have felt almost like slightly beefier GPs and with the price being double, I'm more inclined to feel like I'm getting my money's worth with GPs than with EPs this go around.
    I don’t think that it is reasonable to blame the team because I again am quite sure that the decisions were made by EA’s top. The reason why the EPs have become smaller for TS4 than for the earlier games almost certainly is that EA’s top now know that the packs don’t need to be so big to sell well. But EA’s top managers are hired by EA’s stock holders to increase profit and nothing else. Therefore they all have huge salaries which depends heavily on this. So when they noticed that both SPs and GPs sold so well they most likely decided to reduce the sizes and budgets for the EPs too. I also don’t think that they regretted this at all because it seems to me that they were right in assuming that those smaller and cheaper EPs have sold about as well as the earlier bigger EPs did. Therefore I also don’t think that EAs top again will increase the budget for each EP.

• Options
    agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member
    Even if Sims 5 is already in the works, I doubt we'll be getting any announcements this year.

Just something in the way they market TS4 makes me think they want as much attention and media buzz focused on TS4 as possible and official info about the next generation of sims would just unnecessarily shift that focus to something that can't even bring them money yet.

I'm actually 90% sure they won't be doing any announcements at all but I would love to be proven wrong. Very curious what this year's EP is.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited March 2018
    @Erpe It’s really literally been said, that the life span of Sims 4 will be different (longer) than for its predecessors. I believe it was GuruDrake who said it, on these forums. It isn’t speculation, it’s based on a statement (it left me quite hopeless I must confess, because it even sounded like they were aiming for a ten year anniversary).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options

I just don’t understand the reasoning behind this. Where have they ever said that TS4 will get a longer life than TS2 or TS3 got??

EA makes games only to earn money and it must therefore be EA’s top who decide how long time each Sims game can live until EA’s top want the next basegame released. So this decision can’t be about what the developing teams want. Instead it is based on marketing.

So what EA’s top always have had to consider is for how long time a basegame should have packs before it is better to release a new basegame to make the packs sell better again and EA’s top have always decided to make the next basegame ready to be released after 5 years. Also they have always made certain that the next basegame has something new that can be used in the marketing to persuade simmers to buy it immediately even though they already have the previous basegame with all packs. So I am sure that EA will do that again unless the sales numbers for TS4 have become so low that EA has decided not to make TS5 at all.

The only thing that has changed is that EA’s top decided that TS4 should only have one EP each year because the other EP should instead be replaced by GPs. But why should that prolong TS4’s life beyound 5 years?
    I don’t think that it is reasonable to blame the team because I again am quite sure that the decisions were made by EA’s top. The reason why the EPs have become smaller for TS4 than for the earlier games almost certainly is that EA’s top now know that the packs don’t need to be so big to sell well. But EA’s top managers are hired by EA’s stock holders to increase profit and nothing else. Therefore they all have huge salaries which depends heavily on this. So when they noticed that both SPs and GPs sold so well they most likely decided to reduce the sizes and budgets for the EPs too. I also don’t think that they regretted this at all because it seems to me that they were right in assuming that those smaller and cheaper EPs have sold about as well as the earlier bigger EPs did. Therefore I also don’t think that EAs top again will increase the budget for each EP.

I never said they stated TS4 would get a longer life. That's just my speculation based on what they have said and how they've handled dlc for this iteration. Just like your speculation is that they're going to release it in the usual time frame as previous games. Mine is mainly based on their statement that they would continue to make dlc for TS4 until it doesn't make sense anymore (as I stated previously). We both agree that they mean until they think they can make more money by releasing a new version of the game but we disagree on when that might be. From my perspective, as long as they can sell packs for TS4 and make a profit, it seems likely that they'll keep doing so.

I don't really feel motivated right now to sit and list out what all might influence that sort of decision but you have to consider and compare the costs of developing a whole new base game, marketing it and what kind of sales that might provide versus creating content at $10, $20 and $40 a pop for a game that already exists and marketing it (partially to an audience that's already "hooked"). I imagine they also keep a pretty close eye on when sales for the packs start to fall off with each new pack release and compare all of that to projected sales for the new version to figure out when it's time to make that move.

The reason I think the slower release of dlc, especially EPs has an impact on the production expectancy of TS4 is because you're going to have plenty of people waiting for that dlc--you know, the one that hasn't been released yet--and will probably continue to buy until it comes out. The longer they extend that, the longer they can string people along in supporting TS4.

To be clear, I don't mean the "string people along" in a negative way. I'm relatively happy with how TS4 has been going and enjoy it well enough when I play it--when my daughter and I stop enjoying it, I'll stop buying dlc for it. So, if they want to drag out the TS4 production life longer than previous ones I'm fine with that and if they end up deciding to shut it down tomorrow and release TS5 next year (or even just shut the whole thing down), I'm fine with that. Might be a little disappointed if they do stop making the Sims completely but, it is what it is. If I can't get them to make another Prototype, Mass Effect with Shepard, Deus Ex, etc., then I doubt I'll be able to force them to make another Sims game (them as in "THEM" or the powers that be, not specifically EA since not all the games I mentioned are EA games).
  • Options
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    @Erpe It’s really literally been said, that the life span of Sims 4 will be different (longer) than for its predecessors. I believe it was GuruDrake who said it, on these forums. It isn’t speculation, it’s based on a statement (it left me quite hopeless I must confess, because it even sounded like they were aiming for a ten year anniversary).
    The only thing I have seen is a statement where they said (and I believe that it was Graham who said it) that we shouldn’t expect the same schedule for the packs as we have been used to. I understood that statement as we shouldn’t expect 2 EPs a year anymore but instead a GP and some SPs. They later then began to make two GPs each year instead of only one and I thought that the reason was that EA’s top had been very satisfied with the sales numbers for the first GPs and therefore had told the developers to increase the number of GPs. I also saw signs that EA’s top weren’t very satisfied with the sales numbers for EPs and therefore feared that they would tell the developers not to make any more EPs at all. But instead it seems that EA’s top decided to still make about one EP each year but only reduced the budget for that EP such that EPs now have less content than the EPs for TS2 and TS3 used to have. This make me still fear that EA’s top will decide not to make EPs at all for TS5 though.

I have been surprised that so many in the forum instead understood their statement about the changed schedule for packs as they would release packs for TS4 in several more years and it for me looked like many in the forum understood it that way just because they thought that EPs now must have become more difficult to make such that it would take more years to make all the usual EPs for TS4 too. But I just never have believed at all that EA’s top reduced the number of EPs for such a reason and I am sure that EPs for TS4 instead have been even easier and cheaper for EA to make because of their reduced content. So I am sure that the problem instead has been that EA can make 2 GPs for the same money as EA earlier used to make an EP. But 2 GPs likely give EA bigger income from their sales than just one EP does. Therefore I also don’t at all believe that EA again will increase the number of yearly EPs.

@ebuchala I don’t think that EA just stops making EPs when they aren’t profitable anymore because EA has never done that. Instead EA has always stopped already after 5 years even though EA easily could have sold many more EPs. Also EA could have made more EPs for the previous basegame even after EA had released the next basegame. But EA hasn’t done that either. So if we want to understand how EA plans things then we have to ask why not?

So I have conseidered this and I think that EA looks at things much more broadly instead of just considering possible profit for each pack. The problem for EA here must be that EA knows that if they release too many packs within too short time then many simmers will just stop buying everything and the packs will just steal customers from eachother. Therefore EA has decided not to release packs for more than a certain amount of money each year. But EA likely just add the prices for all packs and doesn’t count just EPs like so many in the forum seem to do.

So again I think that EA’s decision about when to release the next basegame is based just on the same considerations as earlier and the problem here mainly is that after 5 years it has become difficult for EA to attract new customers to the current game. Therefore EA has always planned to release a new basegame after almost exactly 5 years and I just don’t see why EA should have made different considerations now. Of course it is possible (at least theoretically) that EA considered to not release TS5 at all or not in the next many years or that EA has postponed the release of TS5 because the development of TS5 has given EA unexpected problems. I just don’t find that very likely.