Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I think gtw is the best ep

I like the jobs
and the aliens
the skills and retail
if I could only pick one ep this would be it
please tell me why you like gtw
more for sim kids and more drama please

Comments

• Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    You aren't alone. If I could only get one GTW would be it. That's not to diss other packs I have them all and want them all.. this one just tops it for me based on how and what I want to play.
    I want more active careers... I enjoy the scientist career the most. Back when I played Sims 1 there was a sim that you could choose that looked like a mad scientist.. but I never had the right items for it to be fun to play him and I wanted to play one since that time. Now I get too.. and it feels right finally. I love all the science gadgets and items. This is the first time I've really enjoyed playing the aliens also. I love that they have a human form, it adds to the game play and the stories that are possible through that.. I wish they couldn't be found out so easy though. I also wish the sim ray had more powers lol... but it's fun. I always name it "My Little Friend".
    Currently I'm making a few themed stores to put collectibles in to sell so that my sims don't have to keep it all in their inventories. I don't play as a store keeper or owner but I enjoy using the retail stores as part of my sims worlds and places they can go. It makes life easier when I've already done a collection and don't want to do it again. It adds to the immersion for me to send them to a store to buy something they need vs downloading it and just giving it to my sims or cheating it in.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    I....have to agree.

I'll say in advance: none of the EPs are anything spectacular. However, I do feel like EP quality has declined with time, and yeah, the first one is the most meaningful to me. Infact, I would actually perfectly rate the EPs in order from best to worst by simply listing off the order they released in.

The Scientist career is the MVP of the EPs. While it isn't enough to make me completely satisfied, it is at least enough to be entertaining. That's a career that understood people need a sense of progress, a longing to find out "what comes next," and all kinds of neat and unique tools and gameplay aspects to enjoy when you look back and think on the journey you took to get there. In terms of EPs as a collective, the Scientist career is the only singular example that I think exhibits raw gameplay perfectly, and if the Scientist career itself were available as a $10 game feature without any of the additional content of the Expansion (save maybe Aliens, since they're heavily tied to the career), I'd absolutely buy it and rate it a 9/10 on it's own merit.

There's still something very alarming though about realizing the very EP that delivered an absolutely broken retail system, an absolute barebones, dull and mundane Detective career, and again reduced the amount of active careers to expect to a mere 3 (mirroring Showtime, which likewise saw poor reception), is still the best EP they've released to date.

When this is the case and when the pack that basically has a 25% success rate (Scientist career is great, Doctor I suppose deserves a 6/10, Detective is so repetitive and retail is abysmal) with it's content is considered the best though...? That speaks volumes about the sorry state of the EPs for Sims 4.

"Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Options
    cactusjuicecactusjuice Posts: 573 Member
    It certainly was the one I was looking forward to most, however it left me wanting a lot more than it delivered. Its the retail system that I had the most expectation for and it was the worst aspect of GTW. Pity really wished they pushed it because the ideas were there even if the execution wasn't satisfactory enough for me
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    For me it's the Aliens + Science stuff. I've dabbled in the rest, but I've hardly played without Aliens in particular since the pack came out. Having them disguisable opened up all sorts of fun gameplay and it ends up integrating with other packs in how I play it.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    Aliens and Scientist gameplay are the top things in the EP I would take out of that as great in every way. The rest of the EP I wouldn't really miss much.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Personally, I feel the expansions in TS4 aren't as good as they were in the predecessor games. They lack a focus/scope, and their content is either not drawn out entirely, buggy, or both.

In terms of content, I do think GTW does offer the most, with the three careers, aliens, retail, etc., but I, unfortunately, find an issue with all of the content it delivers. The careers suffer from TS4's time management failure and lag, and they're incredibly restrictive on the player, forcing them to do exact interactions listed in the checkboxes. There's little room for creativity and freedom. Retail is nowhere near TS2's retail features, which were incredibly detailed and full of fun. Alien invasions can be annoying.

With disappointment, I'd say Cats & Dogs is the best pack (when you find it on sale for half off) because it sets out to deliver cats and dogs, and delivers successfully, with the most expressive cats and dogs to date. However, it is also the smallest Pets pack to date, compared to its predecessors, lacking small animals and other neat features previously explored in pets expansions of the past.

City Living claims to offer living in a city, yet imagines the experience as platforms shoved up in the sky with a beautiful city that is only a backdrop. Seriously, visit the neighborhood of the gym in San Myshuno. It's a massive platform in the sky, it's incredibly barren, and there is nothing that really invokes a feeling of city living there. The only neighborhood which manages to do this is the low residential one.

Get Together feels like a glorified World Pack. They put far too much emphasis in it offering a new world, and gave us a club system. Dance clubs weren't as detailed as the ones from TS2/TS3, cafes are buggy, and the whole pack feels like it's lacking content. It's a shame when you see content featured in Dine Out, Bowling SP, etc. which was released right around its time that, IMHO, belonged in a pack which is focused entirely on going out and group interaction.
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    edited February 2018
    GTW is actually pretty solid EP. I did miss that retail aspect that in Sims 2 OFB. This was a little less hard compared to that one and it wasn't too easy either. Think the only thing I'd like to change is being able to set the prices for individual items to make ones value a higher percentage than another. I thought I had wanted to have the option to give employees breaks, but pfft--I forgot how glitched out they got in the Sims 2 when I did give them one and distracted by whatever object. I swear when I played OFB sims left mad all the time haha~ Good times. Still a good way to close the store briefly so employees can take a lunch break of sorts without leaving the lot would have been nice rather than closing the store for awhile and reopening again for everyone to come back.

Some glitches aside I really do enjoy it. I really hope for more jobs like in this pack or some that function like the social media career or politician where you can go to your rabbit hole job or work from home.

I actually like poking around in the scientist career more than anything and using the ray gun to mess with my sims surroundings or just mess with sims in general. >:)

The build/buy mode is great and I use a lot of the items as well as CAS items. Think I would have liked a little bit more depth to the Detective career.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    GTW would be significantly better without the bugs, but ultimately it's a solid pack.

What the Patchers need to do is have a solid month working entirely on GTW patches. Not any other issue at all. Almost every month they turn out a patch for a bug in it even though there's tons left, and it's time they stopped messing around and stepped up to the plate.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Well, I think the aliens, baking skill, and CAS items are nice. The doctor and detective careers get kind of repetitive after a while. And I've only started on the scientist career track, but people say it's the best, so at least there's that.

I wouldn't say it's the best EP, but you do you. I think it's just okay.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    It certainly was the one I was looking forward to most, however it left me wanting a lot more than it delivered. Its the retail system that I had the most expectation for and it was the worst aspect of GTW. Pity really wished they pushed it because the ideas were there even if the execution wasn't satisfactory enough for me

I felt the same as you. When I realized that GTW was going to be the first EP, I said to myself, "Man, TS4 is coming out swinging!" Yet, it turned into such an incredible disappointment. Likewise, City Living had me grinning ear to ear in anticipation. What I got was so far off base that it leaves me almost...angry...at the wasted potential.

It kept going down from there. For me, Cats & Dogs was the ultimate slap in the face. An almost universally popular EP, across all versions of this franchise, turned into such an incredible let down. Bare bones. Yes, that is an apt description. How does something like that happen?

I would like the EP team and those in charge of making the decisions to really look back at what EPs used to be. They were game-changing. I would like those people to explore what they can do to match and, better yet, to top those achievements.

I know that AAA games are no longer passion projects. They are there to bring in major money. Loot boxes, all manner of micro-transactions, and every possible manner to eek out another coin (like breaking EPs into small pieces) is the new, driving impulse. However, these are all artificial means of increasing revenue. They develop feelings of resentment in the customer base. If I had the opportunity to say one thing to the persons in charge, it would be: "Concentrate on making a great game; the money will follow."
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    Cupcakeyorkies79Cupcakeyorkies79 Posts: 16 Member
    I really love the aliens and science stuff, and the doctor career is awesome :)