Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What kind of game style is your favorite in Sims 3?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    BariSaxyBariSaxy Posts: 4,699 Member
    edited January 2018
    Start with a single sim or househld and see where it goes.
    I pretty much do the last two. I like to start single Sim households to experience different features and worlds of the game. When I get to the point that the original Sim is a grandparent I tend to feel overwhelmed, mainly because I only like to play with a small number of Sims. I also don't like letting Sims actually die, nor do I like leaving them to the AI to allow me to play the children/grandchildren alone, so long runs with several generations just doesn't really work with my playstyle even though I think it's really cool and would like to break the mold. It just never happens.
    OO2UdmJ.png
  • Options
    Jaline33Jaline33 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Play many different games exploring different situations, towns, EPs, etc.
    I like to rotate through many different households in each world. I have extensive notes for all my families in all of my worlds - and it's one of the things I miss most in TS4 - there just isn't enough variety; not enough worlds.

I find rotating in TS3 very easy. When I start a rotation, I have the game set so everyone ages along with that first family. I will play several days (5 or 6) and the whole world ages together. Then, as soon as I move to the second family, rotation for the world is shut off and it stays off until I have played each household and return to the first one, where I once again turn aging on for the whole world for another 5 or 6 days.

When I get tired of playing that world, I put a marker in my notes showing where I left off and move to another world where I do the same thing but with different families and a different atmosphere (of course).
  • Options
    stargurustarguru Posts: 2,115 Member
    A long-lasting multi-generational game but of the whole town.
    I’ve tried most of these, but found I prefer multi-generational games involving the whole town. Although my towns are smaller CC worlds with fewer total households, otherwise I’d never progress. If I’m playing in a large world, then it’s still multi-generational play but with a single household.
  • Options
    OGPoohOGPooh Posts: 276 Member
    I'm a combination of a few of those. I create a lot of Sims to populate my towns. I'll play one household for a while, seeing where it goes. After a while, I'll switch to another household I'd created to populate the town with and see where it goes. Once I get a town all made over and to a point I'm happy with it, I'll clone it a couple of times to see how it evolves differently. My Wife also plays my cloned towns.
  • Options
    MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    A long-lasting single household or single extended family multi-generational game.
    I've made it to generation 5 (on Long lifespan, 190 days), and Sunset Valley has become a mess; the house won't even show up in the thumbnail and I have no idea how to fix it, haha. The save takes forever to boot up at this point. Rest in pieces.

Another playstyle I enjoy is creating my existing OCs as sims, and plopping them all into the same town. Aging is turned off. I switch between households when I feel like it. It's like one big crossover.

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • Options
    queenproteaqueenprotea Posts: 14 New Member
    I like to take an empty town, populate it with random households I make in CAS, then plonk down a single sim and see where it goes from there. Last time I did that, I got probably my favorite family I've ever played (even if it was a little overwhelming--like, five teens at one time on a long lifespan overwhelming).
  • Options
    Katie_LouKatie_Lou Posts: 29 Member
    A long-lasting single household or single extended family multi-generational game.
    I enjoy sticking with one family and progressing them as far as I can, but it makes it very hard to then leave them and play another family! The sim attachment is too real.
    "Language is wine upon the lips." —Virginia Woolf
  • Options
    JeansooJeansoo Posts: 3,606 Member
    edited January 2018
    Mostly, start with a single homeless sim but I put the single sim into many different situations like turn into a vampire and goes to the future land or go to university without money, or travel for adventures.
  • Options
    megan_mariamegan_maria Posts: 645 Member
    edited January 2018
    I always like to play different games with different stories. Sometimes I like to play happy families with lots of children, while other times I just want to play a group of YA's parting at university. I like to switch it up but I do stick to a certain game for a while. At the moment I am playing with my 'legacy' save and it's quite an achievement for me that I have reached the third generation.
  • Options
    Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    Other.
    They say variety is the spice of life and it certainly keeps myTS3 gaming fun. A lot depends on mood and I do flit between games and building /CAW. Part of the joy is going back to a game you haven't touched for a while and thinking of different ways to develop it. The other major thing for me is having the variety. I enjoy sandbox games and TS3 certainly provides that. In fact I think the large number of playstyles on offer goes some way to explaining the continuing popularity of TS2 and 3.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    MamaSimTeeMamaSimTee Posts: 963 Member
    Legacy challenges and variations.
    Challenges, Legacy or otherwise, are at the core of my playing style. I like playing all types of situations. I love traveling and doing the adventures. I like keeping up with the town I'm in.

One day, after so many years, I'll make it all the way to Generation 10. LOL
    <insert inspiring comment here> :)
  • Options
    SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,410 Member
    edited February 2018
    I don't know, I got 95% of my sims who are young adult or adults, single without children some are pets owners no horses who lives together as roommates. I cant care of each of them but I am mostly a simself gamer.
    I don't play with premades. I hate legacies for my own.
    Follow and read Miss V Detective (ts3 story)
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
    Follow me on tumblr (sims only)
    simsophonique.tumblr.com (please no triggers I am autistic asperger)
  • Options
    DampenedLeavesDampenedLeaves Posts: 26 Member
    I tend to rotate between lots of different families to have complete control. Much to the anger of my computer. I'm too protective over my OCs (they're my babies) and sims I've made inspired by TV show characters and celebs, and I want complete control over EA sims, too. My save's likely to corrupt soon.
    tKtfnik.gif

She/Her
  • Options
    TempurranceTempurrance Posts: 44 Member
    Other.
    I really like playing legacies and homeless or rags-to-riches challenges, but my favorite way to play since the Sims 2 is to make tribes and have them live off the land and develop societies and culture. I wasn't sure if this fit into any other categories listed, so I chose other. I like to update the building style and clothing style as the generations go on. I really like starting with the prehistoric times and then going up like a Through History Challenge, but not changing a time period every generation, and I've never made it past the tribes and I play tribes for many, many generations. In the Sims 2 I deleted the school in the game file so that my tribe kids didn't have to go to school lol. Now I can just delete or not add a school in the town in Sims 3. I use an empty world without roads for this type of play, like Arbor Vale. Back when I started playing the Sims I was a huge fan of the Warrior Cats series (still am) so sometimes I'll play as a cat clan. I love that there's so many options for play-style. You can play the game however you want.
    Still can't find Waldo...
  • Options
    equiiaddictequiiaddict Posts: 24 Member
    I tend to create a main Sim, have them advance in their career/advance their skills/etc, get married, start a family, etc and I mainly focus on that family. But I've been known to switch around and play with other families in the same neighborhood when I get bored of my main one. But I always go back to them at some point, lol.
  • Options
    KNORearKNORear Posts: 522 Member
    edited February 2018
    Legacy challenges and variations.
    I absolutely love Legacy challenges, so much so that most of my play throughs turn into Legacies. In fact i’m Currently working on my 3rd perfect genetics Challenge after I rage quit the first and had the second end up with corrupted save file. I’m enjoying every minute of it .
  • Options
    jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    Most people who know me also knows that I'm playing the Grey Witches household since how long already? 2014... :o And I'm not the least bored! :D
    NymlADp.jpg
  • Options
    SillyhartluvSillyhartluv Posts: 73 Member
    I have the attention span of a gnat-that may be too generous-so I tend to hop from one game to another. I am proud to say that last year I managed to focus on one family from March all the way to December 27th. Now I'm off to the next game, which I hope I will be able to play longer than two weekends.
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    My pattern seems to be "create a new Sim or household to explore the new Expansion Pack I am playing with". The only one I haven't done this with yet is World Adventures, for which I roped in my original (Supernatural) Fairy/Werewolf couple, as they were the pair most likely to share an interest in Nectar-making.

Over the years, I have collected a cast of Sims I can use to help populate towns with interesting types, and have even had cross-over households where, for example, the aged-up-to-Teen sons of my Fairy couple got merged into my Criminals & Delinquents household (their dads thought it was an exclusive boarding school for gifted boys).

These CAN turn into long-running, multigenerational stories, but usually not. My "oldest" in that sense is only 3 generations deep.