Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What's Wrong With 25 Toboggan Way? Won't Convert to Apartment

CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
edited November 2017 in The Sims 2
So I spent several hours building more apartments on the 25 Toboggan Way lot. (Tiny House/large lot). I was building them the same way Maxis built the house on that lot, I thought they would make cute one bedroom/single apartments.

First problem, I know this is due to M&G but I couldn't place stairs because if you place a wall first you can't place stairs after M&G..argh.. (question, where can I find Lordy Darcy's fix (?) for the M&G bug concerning this? I think it was Lord Darcy who fixed M&G stair placement problems. ETA: the message will say can't place stair, this is if next to a wall, you have to remove walls then place stairs.

Second, how many tiles do we leave empty above a stair case in TS2? Because the game will allow you to cover some space above the modular stairs and the other ones, (just like the Maxis lot) but if you cover above the stairs for second floor etc., (not sure how many spaces overhead it needs) the lot will say Invalid apartment on lot. Argh. So, I discovered this is a problem with TS2 allowing to place one too many tile or carpet or whatever over the stairwell. This is possible even without move objects on..so how many spaces above stairs are needed empty before it will throw such an error?

Third, after I was able (I just removed all tile above the staircase and left a big gapping hole in the floor) it converted but the residential mailbox would not convert to the apartment mailbox. Argh.

I searched my downloads and removed the 'buyable mailbox' thinking it may interfere with the Maxis mailbox converting but nothing I do will convert the residential mailbox to the apartment mailbox.

It says I have apartments for rent, and has the icon overhead but when you enter the lot, the mailbox has not changed.

Btw, once you level the pond on that lot, the lot is still not level and that was another problem when building second floors. I had to redig pond, then level it again to make it level out so the grid would not be so low I couldn't place furniture. What a buggy lot!
"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

Comments

• Options
    Update, I had to remove all modular stairs and replace with the normal staircases in each apartment. What's up with that? It would not stop saying invalid apartment until I replaced all stairs with the Maxis premade ones. This did not clear up the mailbox problem, though. I moved a Sim in to test (after removing the buyable mailbox from downloads) and got boolprop interactions on mailbox in a different language, so I had to put that mailbox mesh back in game so I can read English commands if I use mailbox to cheat etc. I have no idea why the game won't convert the mailbox to an apartment one. Since removing any custom mailboxes didn't work but made things worse.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Not sure if I ever played that lot. I know I never tried to build apartments there though.

1) Removing the wall is the only way I know to get the stairs to work. I was looking for the mod you mentioned, but can't find anything anywhere. That stinks I would have liked that myself. :p Anyway, the only stair mod I found made by Lord Darcy was this one.... http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=303905 not what you were looking for I imagine.

2) I always fill the open portion as much as I can, then delete one row of tile. That always works well for me anyway.

3) It is either your buyable mailbox, all research I have done on this says that most of them were not converted for apartment life, which messes with the mailbox. I found this, don't know if it is the one you were using or not but they all seem to have the same issue.. https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/946800-the-sims-2-apartment-life/45259317

OR you might have more then one copy in your downloads folder (they are sometimes included with lots), that will mess with it even if the version you are using is up to date, Or if you moved the mailbox while building, it will not convert.

I read about other people having modular stairs mess up the apartment transition. Especially if you were using staging or something to make a L shape. People say this is not allowed, I haven't tried to make apartments in ages, so I can only tell you what I found.
  • Options
    JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Cool glad you figured out what the issue was with that. Hopefully the new download will help you. :) Ya I wonder why stairs got so messed up with M&G, it seems so odd. Oh well deleting a wall is not a huge hassle.
  • Options
    Deedee_DaydreamDeedee_Daydream Posts: 10 New Member
    I know this thread is a few months old BUT daydream.etowns.net is no more. As of today July 4, 2018 I have lost my domain host of 15+ years, so I'm re-indexing, migrating and re-directing now to a new URL:

daydream58.com

Hope everyone's mailbox/trash can problems are still being helped and thanks for the link in the first place, much appreciated. Now back to happy simming!

xo
    Deedee
    Vancouver Island, British Columbia
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    It looks like the site is HERE and I just tested by opening in a new tab and bookmarking it to link.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    @Deedee_Daydream

Thank you so much for posting your link I could not believe my eyes when I saw sims 1 stuff there as well as I was only thinking yesterday if I should try run it on my new second win 7 hard drive instead of it being on my old vista laptop-) Then i moved onto 2 and was delighted to see the pizza hack for community lots, then a quick look at 3 and again delighted to see a home world university as that is on my to do list.. and while I don't play 4 so much can appreciate you have stuff for that too.. I have a lot more checking through later today when I have more time but just wanted to jump in and say thank you for such a wonderful resource.. :)

Apologies to the op for going off topic if he/she ever comes back :)
  • Options
    Thanks for updating your link @Deedee_Daydream I appreciate letting us know! I'm sure someone will need the ALmailbox if they run into problems and need a home mailbox or run into problems like I did with having the BV mailbox that came in a house I downloaded. I need to always double check that sort of stuff. :)
  • Options
    Deedee_DaydreamDeedee_Daydream Posts: 10 New Member
    @Cinebar wow I have never thought about that reason for needing a mailbox, how right you are! I don't download lots much, but I'm not a great builder, so perhaps I should! You're very welcome in any case, so glad I did something anyone can find useful. Happy Simming xo