Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Wolf Den -- Reading Circle for New Stories -- FULL

Comments

• Options
    CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member
    @Cement fair warning violence doesn't show up until later on in one of the generations

It's all good, I read pretty fast so I'm sure I'll get there. Just knowing there's violence ahead is motivation enough :joy:
  • Options
    ArrowleafArrowleaf Posts: 3,871 Member
    @winterbaby20 Welcome! And thank you for reading/answering the questions. I appreciate it. <3
    4s8gctV.png
    The Landon Legacy Wordpress // Forums|
    Chasing Rainbows: Wordpress // Forums
  • Options
    winterbaby20winterbaby20 Posts: 2,413 Member
    @Arrowleaf your welcome and I love your story. I have been following it a while before joining this circle.
  • Options
    AsaoyoruAsaoyoru Posts: 247 Member
    Hi! Just wanted to keep you posted that I plan on answering the questions soon. I have them all figured out but I'm visiting my future inlaws today which means 4h trainride ... With probably no or very expensive interwebs. Hopefully I will be able to update over the weekend but I can't promise it yet.
  • Options
    SilentWolf101SilentWolf101 Posts: 3,898 Member
    Cycle Sunday, everybody!

Alrighty guys. So, I'm just going to finish off this month with a week where we post whatever we want relating to writing style, then start the new ideas for the the discussions on July 1st. :3 (I know, it's not Sunday, but knowing me, I'll probably forget... Hopefully not when I get my bullet journal all set up!)
    ~Open your mind before your mouth~
    Yes, I'm still working on my stories. But I am restarting them (again). Links will come when they're up. :)
    Come Join The Mafia! | Monthly Simlit Story Challenges
  • Options
    bellagorillabellagorilla Posts: 6,891 Member
    Cycle Sunday, everybody!

Alrighty guys. So, I'm just going to finish off this month with a week where we post whatever we want relating to writing style, then start the new ideas for the the discussions on July 1st. :3 (I know, it's not Sunday, but knowing me, I'll probably forget... Hopefully not when I get my bullet journal all set up!)

Wait! It's actually Sunday!

As for writing style, I'm working on a new story where the main character is blind. So I'm having much changing my writing to describe more than tell. Which was one think Shelia said I needed to work on...
    7dW3gu7.gif
    Most likely caught as scum and best theme-Google Translate, 4th annual Scummies win!
  • Options
    Cycle Sunday, everybody!

As for writing styles, I have always played it safe when it comes to story themes but I stepping big time as the safe box when it comes to generation 2 and beyond.
  • Options
    But it is Sunday, silly :joy: Do you live in the future? :^)

I woke up from my nap with an epiphany for my alien story. (Hahaha, saying I nap regularly makes me feel either really old or a baby at times :joy:) I know I should chill with my alien story but gosh, I've been thinking about it more than all the polyatomic ions and charges I'm supposed to remember for class...
    (At this rate, I should end up writing the ions in my brainstorming notebook... :joy:)

I've also been debating if I should hold a small casting call for my alien story. Uh... For when I get more time to be more involved in it, of course. But then again, I'm not sure if there are people that wanna see their submitted sims die :/

Writing styles... Hm...
    I wondered if there was anything unusual about mine? Or if there's any difficulty in the way I write certain things?
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    XD Yes, for once, I actually did it on Sunday! :D

As for me, I really wanted this story to be kind of like what you have going on, @Cement, but that didn't work out. It's turning into an entirely-plot based legacy story with simlit pictures as features. XD But, I will still have the sims choose who they're with, of course. :) And I've got a place for all the submitted sims. :3

EDIT: I didn't wanna double post again... But anyways...

Sorry it took so long -- Another chapter is posted! And we get to meet one of the submissions. :)
    1.02:Sarah Bemix
    It’s almost like a game.
    Post edited by SilentWolf101 on
    Yes, I'm still working on my stories. But I am restarting them (again). Links will come when they're up. :)
  • Options
    Oh, you mean game-driven? I find game-driven to be more fun to work with since you gotta really put your noggin to work :joy:
    I'm actually still debating if I should continue writing White Lies and Half Truths after the second generation since that's where most of the drama surrounding the Harveys, Kearneys, and eventual Hurd/Kozlowski, Vela, and Robustelli clans pretty much end and a majority of my playthroughs take place afterward.

Would people be interested in a continuation under the same genre? Like a season 2 or something...?

I'm not sure since after the second generation things kind of get slow and everything's pretty typical... Aside from the race war that happens when aliens come to town. I don't really want to make that transition since sometimes it makes things odd for me and I think people would feel betrayed if it suddenly goes into a fully supernatural direction. :joy:
    I don't plan on really changing the genre to have an overarching supernatural theme either. Hmmm.

My alien story's just a story and not really a legacy... Kind of? LOL. I mean, they're around in my main save and there's someone related to my aliens in White Lies and Half Truths, but it's not really a legacy. More like a weird "how we met" story. ...With gore and all the twisty fun stuff I like putting in my writing. I wanted to make it a funny romcom, and I keep saying it because a part of me wants to change my prologue but I think what I set there is too good to scrap :sob:

I am rubbing my hands together to see how you're putting Frank in your story, @SilentWolf101 LOL.
  • Options
    Cement wrote: Β»
    Oh, you mean game-driven? I find game-driven to be more fun to work with since you gotta really put your noggin to work :joy:
    I'm actually still debating if I should continue writing White Lies and Half Truths after the second generation since that's where most of the drama surrounding the Harveys, Kearneys, and eventual Hurd/Kozlowski, Vela, and Robustelli clans pretty much end and a majority of my playthroughs take place afterward.

Would people be interested in a continuation under the same genre? Like a season 2 or something...?

I'm not sure since after the second generation things kind of get slow and everything's pretty typical... Aside from the race war that happens when aliens come to town. I don't really want to make that transition since sometimes it makes things odd for me and I think people would feel betrayed if it suddenly goes into a fully supernatural direction. :joy:
    I don't plan on really changing the genre to have an overarching supernatural theme either. Hmmm.

My alien story's just a story and not really a legacy... Kind of? LOL. I mean, they're around in my main save and there's someone related to my aliens in White Lies and Half Truths, but it's not really a legacy. More like a weird "how we met" story. ...With gore and all the twisty fun stuff I like putting in my writing. I wanted to make it a funny romcom, and I keep saying it because a part of me wants to change my prologue but I think what I set there is too good to scrap :sob:

I am rubbing my hands together to see how you're putting Frank in your story, @SilentWolf101 LOL.

Hm, I'm sure you'd find a way to make it interesting, and I have faith in you. But, it is your story, so it's up to you... I'd love to see where you take that. :3

If not, then you'd need another story for the Wolf Den. :3 And I'd definitely miss you if you left! <3
  • Options
    Hm, I'm sure you'd find a way to make it interesting, and I have faith in you. But, it is your story, so it's up to you... I'd love to see where you take that. :3

If not, then you'd need another story for the Wolf Den. :3 And I'd definitely miss you if you left! <3

-sweats aggressively- :cold_sweat:

I could always shove my alien story here if White Lies and Half Truths gets a little slow, right? :joy: I've got a lot of stories I want to write for my sims since I have so many townies I love that have equally unusual backstories.

...So many townies...

Aside from my alien story, there's still that weird comic simlit too :joy: I think the only time you'd ever have to throw me out of the circle is if I'm inactive without a reason ;) Even if I don't update often, I'll still be around to discuss anything and all that, so I could always be a spooky ghost lurker if anything :joy:
  • Options

-sweats aggressively- :cold_sweat:

I could always shove my alien story here if White Lies and Half Truths gets a little slow, right? :joy: I've got a lot of stories I want to write for my sims since I have so many townies I love that have equally unusual backstories.

...So many townies...

Aside from my alien story, there's still that weird comic simlit too :joy: I think the only time you'd ever have to throw me out of the circle is if I'm inactive without a reason ;) Even if I don't update often, I'll still be around to discuss anything and all that, so I could always be a spooky ghost lurker if anything :joy:

Oh, spooky ghost lurkers are fun! :D
    There might be a bit of leeway too since you did create the logo for the group. :3
  • Options
    Oh my goodness, it's Sunday! D:I was so unprepared! *sweats aggressively* T-T
    Welcome to the NEW AND IMPROVED Cycle Sunday!
    Discussion #3, Week #1: Standing Out

So, this week, we're doing something new, but still in the same kind of fashion. :) So, we're going to try a discussion where we'll just have questions, not author questions and reader questions. :) If you have an actual answer for a question, then feel free to answer it. If not then don't answer it. :) Please try to answer at least 3 questions. Do not worry about providing something new to the conversation -- just put your true feelings down. :)

This week, we're discussing my story, Heartbeats. :)

Questions:
    1) What part of the story really, really stood out to you? (Feel free to "quote" it below) Why did that part stick out to you? Does it hold any value in your every day life? If so, what value (if it's not too personal)?

2) Which character would you most like to meet in real life? Are they your favorite character? Your least favorite character? What about them makes you so drawn to them?

3) Along with the last question, which characters do you admire the most? Which ones do you despise the most? Why? What specifically did they do to make you feel that way about them?

4) Were you immediately drawn into the story, or did it feel "forced" on you? For the author, did you just want to get past that first part to get to the good stuff, or did you start out with the good stuff? For the reader, did you just want to skim over the first part, or were you drawn into it?

5) What was your favorite part of the most recent chapter of the story? How did reading that chapter make you feel?

6) Has this story changed you at all? Have you started viewing things differently based on this story? Have you learned something new or been exposed to new ideas?

7) If you could say anything to one of the characters -- but only one -- which character would you talk to and what would you want to say to them?

8) Have you read anything else by the author? If so, can you draw any similarities between the stories?

And my answers to select questions:
    1) What part of the story really, really stood out to you? (Feel free to "quote" it below) Why did that part stick out to you? Does it hold any value in your every day life? If so, what value (if it's not too personal)?
    I absolutely ADORE this image. :3 But, since it contains some more adulty themes, I'll just post a link to it, not the actual picture... It took me forever to get a good picture with her, and then when I wasn't even trying for that picture anymore, out pops a perfect moment! XD Of course... My favorite phrase, however, won't come up until the end of the next chapter. I think, anyways. I've been trying to find the perfect place for this part, and I think I might have finally found it. :)

2) Which character would you most like to meet in real life? Are they your favorite character? Your least favorite character? What about them makes you so drawn to them?
    He hasn't shown up in the story yet, but he comes from multiple stories -- originally found in Maladi's Heffner Legacy, but originating from... I don't remember... -.-

3) Along with the last question, which characters do you admire the most? Which ones do you despise the most? Why? What specifically did they do to make you feel that way about them?

4) Were you immediately drawn into the story, or did it feel "forced" on you? For the author, did you just want to get past that first part to get to the good stuff, or did you start out with the good stuff? For the reader, did you just want to skim over the first part, or were you drawn into it?
    Honestly, it was a mixture of both for me. I was really drawn into it, but at the same time, there were parts throughout the beginning that I just really wanted to skip over, even though I felt like it was necessary to get those parts in there... And right now, I'm kind of at that "forced" point a little bit -- I really want to skip ahead to a particular scene rolling around in my head. :3

5) What was your favorite part of the most recent chapter of the story? How did reading that chapter make you feel?
    I actually had a LOT of fun photoshopping the beginning photos -- even if they're not the best quality. I liked the experience I got using gimp to photoshop those photos. :)

6) Has this story changed you at all? Have you started viewing things differently based on this story? Have you learned something new or been exposed to new ideas?

7) If you could say anything to one of the characters -- but only one -- which character would you talk to and what would you want to say to them?
    Double spoiler because this could possibly spoil something in the future...
    Paige, you're making a HUGE mistake. You should research the people closest to you instead of...

8) Have you read anything else by the author? If so, can you draw any similarities between the stories?
    Oh boy have I... XD Lol, but anyways, I do tend to have a very similar writing style throughout my stories. A lot of tugging on heart strings, because if I can't make my readers feel something, then I'm not doing my "job" properly. So, things like tragic backstories, broken characters, and stuff like that will always be present in my stories -- the degree to which they appear, however, is what changes throughout my stories. :) At least, that's what I THINK happens. XD
  • Options
    edited July 2017

I was drawn in from the get go. When Alexys first started brainstorming Paige I was drawn in. The first chapter was so well written. Perfect hook, line, and sinker.

Whenever I go into a mission, I always need to have a back up route. I’ve seen how detrimental it can be to only have one plan, and I still have so much left to do before I die or rot in prison. That’s how most of the other people in my line of work failed, anyways.

It’s never been this difficult before, though. There’s always been at least SOMETHING out there for me to work with… Maybe I j-

Well I’ll be 🐸🐸🐸🐸.
    Paige made me laugh, and think about things some. And I really like Sarah, but I might be biased. :3

I have read other things Alexys has written. And I really can't say there's many similarities.

Well here's my two cents. Sorry if it doesn't make much sense, been dealing with a nasty headache again and my brain just doesn't want to work today.

*edited because I quoted instead of making it a spoiler *sigh*
    7dW3gu7.gif
    Most likely caught as scum and best theme-Google Translate, 4th annual Scummies win!
  • Options
    I would like to meet Paige because she is the first founder that has a job as a hitman.
    My favorite part is how she smoothly handle the drunk Sarah and got permanent contact with an ally. It made me laugh a little.
    I would talk to Sarah Bemix and warn her that Paige has been hired to take her out.
  • Options
    Ooh interesting stuff! I'll try to answer them when I can, I'm out of state for the holiday weekend. I'm only using my phone so my formatting might be garbage when I try doing spoilers (or broken, even)
  • Options
    ArrowleafArrowleaf Posts: 3,871 Member

I don't know any of the characters well enough to have a favorite, but I think Paige would be interesting to meet in real life. Her job would be very interesting to learn about, and I am sure she has a lot of stories to tell about various missions she has been on.

I dont think we are far enough into the story for me to admire or despise anyone yet. If I had to guess, I think Sarah might betray Paige in some way (or vise versa), and then I would pretty against who ever did the betraying (even though Sarah is my baby).

I had no desire to skip over anything. So far, everything that has happened seems pretty integral to the plot. It basically throws you into this mission that she is currently on, giving you just enough information to be curious about what will happen in the future.

I really enjoyed Sarah's dialogue in this chapter. Especially when they are first meeting and Sarah is sort of being a B. :smiley:

Not yet!

I would just want to tell Sarah to be careful.

I have only read one other story by @SilentWolf101 and the story itself was different but they have similar themes. They are both darker, and they both have a lot mystery built into their story lines.
    4s8gctV.png
    The Landon Legacy Wordpress // Forums|
    Chasing Rainbows: Wordpress // Forums
  • Options
    AsaoyoruAsaoyoru Posts: 247 Member
    Hello! I'm so sorry that I was silent for such a long time - for some reason the stress of university really got to me and kept me from any and all attempt at writing and/or reading stories. But now I'm making some time because otherwise I would go insane xD Here's my take on the questions for the cycle!
    I guess the part that really stood out to me was less your writing (which is fine, by the way) but the whole atmosphere that surrounds the story. I feel that the plot is very interesting and intriguing and nothing I've ever read before. It feels like a mixture between a mystery novel and the private diary of a girl who's talking about her life. I think that the first-person perspective is a very good choice to convey emotion and keep it suspenseful, since you have the possibility to shape our intake by only showing us what your character sees.

I'd say Paige, because she is such an interesting character. Even though she has such a cruel line of work, I would like to get to know her on a more personal level. Maybe she could give me some tips on how to get such gorgeous hair? :joy:

Good question. I might come to that later, when there's more to read. I feel like I'm not able to form strong emotions towards characters in particular as of yet. For now my favourite is Paige. <3

Well it DID feel like we were thrown into the story from the get-go, but that is a very good thing. It's obviously not easy to write an exposition which is more than an exposition, but I think you did really well and captured me from the start. I wasn't thinking "Man so much info, wow, guess she wants to get it all out" I was more like "Nice to meet you, Paige. What's your story?" if that makes any sense to you. Again, I think your choice of perspective had that effect. Due to her talking in her own voice I feel like I'm sitting in a shady bar with her while she tells me stories about her mission!

I really liked the first few pictures with the blurring effect! It symbolized really well how lost she felt, at least I read it that way.

I think it's too early to tell. But I can tell you that I'm usually put off by CC that is not maxis match, but your story (together with @Arrowleaf actually) convinced me to give it a try and I'm sooo glad I did! In that way you might say it changed my view on that?

Hmm ... I think I would give Paige a hug! Her first lines were so dark and hurt, I think she deserves one!

Not yet, but I want to if I can squeeze it in my tight schedule somehow.

Sorry if any of this sounds confusing to you, English is not my native language so I apologize for any cringing that might have occured!
  • Options
    Asaoyoru wrote: Β»
    Hello! I'm so sorry that I was silent for such a long time - for some reason the stress of university really got to me and kept me from any and all attempt at writing and/or reading stories. But now I'm making some time because otherwise I would go insane xD Here's my take on the questions for the cycle!
    I guess the part that really stood out to me was less your writing (which is fine, by the way) but the whole atmosphere that surrounds the story. I feel that the plot is very interesting and intriguing and nothing I've ever read before. It feels like a mixture between a mystery novel and the private diary of a girl who's talking about her life. I think that the first-person perspective is a very good choice to convey emotion and keep it suspenseful, since you have the possibility to shape our intake by only showing us what your character sees.

I'd say Paige, because she is such an interesting character. Even though she has such a cruel line of work, I would like to get to know her on a more personal level. Maybe she could give me some tips on how to get such gorgeous hair? :joy:

Good question. I might come to that later, when there's more to read. I feel like I'm not able to form strong emotions towards characters in particular as of yet. For now my favourite is Paige. <3

Well it DID feel like we were thrown into the story from the get-go, but that is a very good thing. It's obviously not easy to write an exposition which is more than an exposition, but I think you did really well and captured me from the start. I wasn't thinking "Man so much info, wow, guess she wants to get it all out" I was more like "Nice to meet you, Paige. What's your story?" if that makes any sense to you. Again, I think your choice of perspective had that effect. Due to her talking in her own voice I feel like I'm sitting in a shady bar with her while she tells me stories about her mission!

I really liked the first few pictures with the blurring effect! It symbolized really well how lost she felt, at least I read it that way.

I think it's too early to tell. But I can tell you that I'm usually put off by CC that is not maxis match, but your story (together with @Arrowleaf actually) convinced me to give it a try and I'm sooo glad I did! In that way you might say it changed my view on that?

Hmm ... I think I would give Paige a hug! Her first lines were so dark and hurt, I think she deserves one!

Sorry if any of this sounds confusing to you, English is not my native language so I apologize for any cringing that might have occured!

I never would've guessed!
    7dW3gu7.gif
  • Options
    Asaoyoru wrote: Β»
    I guess the part that really stood out to me was less your writing (which is fine, by the way) but the whole atmosphere that surrounds the story. I feel that the plot is very interesting and intriguing and nothing I've ever read before. *snip* I think that the first-person perspective is a very good choice to convey emotion and keep it suspenseful, since you have the possibility to shape our intake by only showing us what your character sees.

Well it DID feel like we were thrown into the story from the get-go, but that is a very good thing. It's obviously not easy to write an exposition which is more than an exposition, but I think you did really well and captured me from the start. I wasn't thinking "Man so much info, wow, guess she wants to get it all out" I was more like "Nice to meet you, Paige. What's your story?" if that makes any sense to you. Again, I think your choice of perspective had that effect. *Snip*

1) You actually gave me an awesome idea for the future out of all this. :)
    2) I love the way you describe it -- as a mystery novel combined with a private diary.
    3) I couldn't help but laugh at the English not being your native language. XD It reminded me of a post I saw once that used big fancy words that even I don't understand, just to explain that English wasn't their native language. XD I think you fluently speak English here. :) Just as well (or better) than I do. :)
  • Options
    Gosh I've been busy haha :joy:
    I've gotta do a few more school stuff but I'm popping in here to give my two cents :)
    XqL3Dx3.jpg
    ahahahaha I'm kidding xd You can tell I'm exhausted from my bad jokes rip me

There haven't been many characters shown yet, but I'd want to see the business of them Scarlet Thorn kiddos. At the moment, their mystery is the one peaking my curiosity. Everyone loves a good antagonist :)

I was drawn to the idea of a hitman, or in this context, a hitwoman ;) To start off as a petty thief and work their way up to becoming a basically cold-blooded killer must be something. Having a future formed by what her parents left behind is pretty interesting--Especially since what they left behind was a reputation.

Yo Frank Forder lemme in that cult fam

The only other story I've read was Scarlet Teardrops. Between the two, they both hold an atmosphere of shady dealings and darker themes, stuff I pretty much like. The characters introduced so far hint at a deeper backstory that will tie everything in.
  • Options
    Gosh I've been busy haha :joy:
    I've gotta do a few more school stuff but I'm popping in here to give my two cents :)
    XqL3Dx3.jpg
    ahahahaha I'm kidding xd You can tell I'm exhausted from my bad jokes rip me
    That joke is SOOOOOOOOOOO 2005, back when those pennies were made! XD
  • Options
    Oh yeah I also wanted to get on board the "I didn't know English wasn't your native language" train too, @Asaoyoru
    What is your native language if you don't mind me asking? :o

And oh, @SilentWolf101
    I got some of my ~sick~ 2005 fifth grade humor in my back pocket

What do you call bears without bees?
    ears
  • Options
    @cement that joke nearly went over my head. I had to read to that joke three times before I finally got it.