Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Thank-You EA for Your Excellent Pricing Structure!

My son just approached me to purchase him a "rare" Pokemon egg from a Pokemon Minecraft Server play site for $1.79- FOR ONE EGG. Oh but it gets better- That's ON SALE! For one egg! You can also get the rare treat of Ash Ketchum's Hat (That's ONE hat or as we would say in the sims ONE SINGLE CAS item) for $6.79 because it is also on sale. So, for $8.50 I can buy an egg and a hat OR for $1.50 extra the entire Bowling Stuff collection for the Sims 4. Hmm....LMAO!

EA, I believe you pricing structure is quite good. Thank-you.

Comments

• Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    All I can say is, I will take the current sims pack format over microtransactions any day.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    AtomicSimmerAtomicSimmer Posts: 1,133 Member
    I have to say that alot of the pack stuff could of been added for free.
    ATOMICSIMMER
    Sims Fanboy
    Play with Life
  • Options
    cactusjuicecactusjuice Posts: 573 Member
    Yes and not to mention those who purchased Sims4 base game on special got a more complete game than those who purchased it at release - toddlers etc.
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    I'll take packs over a store any day, but I do feel like certain packs are definitely stronger than others in terms of not only quality, but value.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited March 2017
    Sims 4 indeed has an excellent pricing structure (as did Sims 3). For EA.
    Post edited by JoAnne65 on
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    blueturtleotterblueturtleotter Posts: 867 Member
    edited March 2017
    My son just approached me to purchase him a "rare" Pokemon egg from a Pokemon Minecraft Server play site for $1.79- FOR ONE EGG. Oh but it gets better- That's ON SALE! For one egg! You can also get the rare treat of Ash Ketchum's Hat (That's ONE hat or as we would say in the sims ONE SINGLE CAS item) for $6.79 because it is also on sale. So, for $8.50 I can buy an egg and a hat OR for $1.50 extra the entire Bowling Stuff collection for the Sims 4. Hmm....LMAO!

You do realise that Pokemon is a Nintendo property that is not affiliated with Minecraft in any way? The server you speak of is not a Pokemon server, but an unofficial fan made creation. Minecraft allows private individuals to run their own servers.

Those prices are set by the creator of the items who is a custom content creator not at all affiliated with either Microsoft or Nintendo. The equivalent with The Sims would be a modder charging for custom content. You cannot use this example to praise EA's pricing structure.
    Post edited by blueturtleotter on
  • Options
    GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    edited March 2017
    I don't know if I'd call TS's pricing structure "excellent," lol. It's... Ok. But it's still a lot of nickel and diming in that we pay full AAA price for a "base game" then pay a lot extra for features to fill it out. Pay X amount for vampires, X amount for camping, or spas, etc.

I mean, that's how it's always been, and now that there's no store we're not bogged down in microtransactions, but it still gets expensive. I don't see it as all that much better than other games. In fact, this one has a lot more DLC than many on the market.
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Options
    Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member

You do realise that Pokemon is a Nintendo property that is not affiliated with Minecraft in any way? The server you speak of is not a Pokemon server, but an unofficial fan made creation. Minecraft allows private individuals to run their own servers.

Those prices are set by the creator of the items who is a custom content creator not at all affiliated with either Microsoft or Nintendo. The equivalent with The Sims would be a modder charging for custom content. You cannot use this example to praise EA's pricing structure.

@blueturtleotter LOL- yes, I DO "realise" that but thank-you for your concern. AND yes I CAN use that as a personal example for my personal praise of EA's pricing structure which is what I did. From a personal standpoint I can use anything I chose. And my point of view still stands for me, I think that what we receive over all in my opinion is well valued.
  • Options
    blueturtleotterblueturtleotter Posts: 867 Member
    edited March 2017

@blueturtleotter LOL- yes, I DO "realise" that but thank-you for your concern. AND yes I CAN use that as a personal example for my personal praise of EA's pricing structure which is what I did. From a personal standpoint I can use anything I chose. And my point of view still stands for me, I think that what we receive over all in my opinion is well valued.

If you think how much an unofficial custom content creator charges for items on their own private minecraft server is really relevant to how much EA charges for The Sims 4 DLC that is your prerogative. I don't.
  • Options
    Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    @blueturtleotter Ha ha! Well, thank you so much for your understanding and your agreement that my own personal perception can be based on my own personal experience and personal point of view. Much appreciated.
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    I think the pricing structure is pretty reasonable just in terms of general DLC in gaming these days. Games like Overwatch have lootboxes you can buy for like $5 or something for like 3 randomly generated items you might already have or not need, lol. None of which contributes to gameplay as it's all cosmetic skins or sprays.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    Anemone7Anemone7 Posts: 3,950 Member
    I think the pricing structure is bananas, especially when you compare SPs to EPs. They don't have a fourth of the content of an EP, although the price suggests it and I'm always quite shocked at the end of a life cycle of a sims game, how much I've paid in total.
  • Options
    Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    There's nothing out there to really compare it to.
    It's a unique game with a unique set of challenges.
    It's a game that depends on DLC for it's very life,
    I can't think of another model even close to this one.

It's the most expensive game on the planet if you are a completist and the problem gets even worse if you are dealing with micro-transactions
    So I don't begrudge people the sentiment of wanting to save a dime or two when they can. It's an expensive game, I get it.

Which is why I think they've done a pretty remarkable job at least keeping prices in line with what they've offered in the past.
    Buffet style offerings are a perfect compromise between full blown banquets (EP's) and overpriced snacks (micro-transactions) in my view.
  • Options
    CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member
    Yeah it's cheaper so I find it easier to keep up and buy all the latest additions lol!!s0237.gif
    giphy_1.gif
  • Options
    Uzone27 wrote: »

It's the most expensive game on the planet if you are a completist and the problem gets even worse if you are dealing with micro-transactions
    So I don't begrudge people the sentiment of wanting to save a dime or two when they can. It's an expensive game, I get it.

Which is why I think they've done a pretty remarkable job at least keeping prices in line with what they've offered in the past.
    Buffet style offerings are a perfect compromise between full blown banquets (EP's) and overpriced snacks (micro-transactions) in my view.

Tell that to the Train Simulator players.

Their DLC literally gets into the thousands. :D
  • Options

That's a thing? huh.
  • Options

That's a thing? huh.

Yup. I don't get it either. Oh, and there's Truck Simulators too. I think they're big in Germany.
  • Options

That's a thing? huh.

Yup. I don't get it either. Oh, and there's Truck Simulators too. I think they're big in Germany.

huh. Who knew?
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member

That's a thing? huh.

huh. Who knew?

I did. I'm a rather avid simulation enthusiast. Train sims, truck sims, submarine sims, flight sims, etc. Back in the day those types of games and cRPGs made up the bulk of the PC gaming market.
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    I agree. I play MMO's and if you look at the shops in those games, you pay ridiculous amounts of money for the smallest things. It costs me 10 dollars to change my appearance one time for just one character in Tera. People complain about the price of stuff packs and such but it's really not that bad of a deal compared to what other companies charge for much less in their games.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    I agree. I play MMO's and if you look at the shops in those games, you pay ridiculous amounts of money for the smallest things. It costs me 10 dollars to change my appearance one time for just one character in Tera. People complain about the price of stuff packs and such but it's really not that bad of a deal compared to what other companies charge for much less in their games.
    Yup. I spent quite a bit of time around that stuff, so being able to pick and choose buffet DLC at a set price with no pressure is a breath of fresh air. And it's not just the lack of microtransaction. I've seen much worse DLC models than this one. For example, Skyrim comes out with a Special Edition that's basically just improved graphics and some stability fixes; they decide to give it for free to people who own Skyrim and all of its DLC already within a certain time frame. But if you only own Skyrim, or own Skyrim and part of the DLC (but not all) they charge $40 for it. AFAIK, they don't even offer a discount if you already own the base game. Just $40, no ifs, ands, or buts.

And it's a pressure thing too because modders started switching over to supporting their mods under the Special Edition, but not the regular version. So you're practically forced to buy it if you want to keep up with the modding for that game.

That maneuver really left a bad taste in my mouth w/ regards to Bethesda. I'm all for companies getting back the money they spent, but you don't treat one half of your customers like honored guests and treat the other like they never paid a dime. Just bad business for loyalty.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,563 Member
    I don't do much in the way of gaming, other than sims, so I tend to compare prices with other things I might like to enjoy.

In the uk, a stuff pack is £7.99, for that amount I could go see a movie at the cinema on my own for a couple of hours, have a fish and chip takeaway, buy a new book or have 2 pints of beer :p For the length of enjoyment, I guess it would be a toss up between the book and the stuff pack. I work on the same basis for game packs and ep's.

To me, none of it seems particularly overpriced for what it is, though the ep's are probably my most reluctant purchase as they seem a little on the skinny side compared to previous versions.