Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

$39.99 FOR ONE DESTINATION?!

Comments

• Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    We have been paying 40 for one location "worlds" with every expansion pack since Sims 4 came out so this is nothing new sadly. I sure hope it will be a full world and not another joke like Magnolia Promenade and with that price be a full 25 lot world at least. My only problem is there is only a few activities listed the half pipe being the only major object if only ice skating or something fun was listed.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Tenchi2a wrote: »
    By the way who gets these surveys and how did bowling make it thru?

I don't think bowling has ever been in a Sims 4 survey. But it's been requested in the Ideas Corner a lot, and it's not the only thing we've seen released that wasn't surveyed. There's no obvious Simmer request -> survey -> development line. It seems to be just one of many ways to gauge interest, and maybe a sense of what kind of packaging/marketing is likely to work.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    I'll decide if it's worth the price based on what's included, but the fact that it would be only one destination isn't a problem a priori. Especially if it's the Winter one.
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I'm just responding to the question posed. I will evaluate whether I think it is worth it when I decide whether or not to buy it based upon what is actually in the pack and the actual stated price. I am probably interested in this concept but I agree that I've thought of it as being more of a GP comparable to OR. If it's an EP then I hope it will have a lot to offer. For $40, I'd rather that it have several destinations or considerably more gameplay than a GP.

Even as a GP, I'll be honest that I would like a winter world to have skiing as well as snowboarding and maybe ice-skating. Snowboarding is fine but there is a lot that you can do in the winter.

I am interested in getting more large/versatile worlds though.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    A winter themed EP would be more sucessfull if they released it before Christmas. No one would want that now when they could put out a summer EP or something.

Anyway as far as I am aware Sims VIP has a poor reputation in the community (unless I am thinking of something else?) So I would take what they say with a pinch of salt. Then again if they release a small GP for that price, I wouldn't be that surprised anyway.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    RebbilinaRebbilina Posts: 377 Member
    Woah, chill, it's a survey, not an official announcement.
  • Options
    ZafireriaZafireria Posts: 3,640 Member
    Err, you are fully entitled to have an opinion, but don't you think you are getting upset in advanced? I mean the pack might never happen, or the things in the survey might not make it into the final product.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    If it's a full size world, what's the issue?

This looks like the same level of Island Paradise, except the Hotels are actually real.
    And knowing how the worlds are in The Sims 4, it will have double the detail, with different kinds of areas - and I can actually enjoy it without lag.

Island Paradise could barely be enjoyed.

So I'm fine.

Island Paradise came with a huge world, that could be fully explored. There were no loading screens from one island to the next, you could travel between them freely and uncover other areas that acted as additional property (or whatever you wanted). You could also open/manage resorts (all while managing other Sims across the world... impossible in Sims 4), scubadive under the water, live in a houseboat that could move freely around the ocean & dock at any open port in the world, and it also included new 'transport' vehicles that were exclusively used on water.

Most of that could actually be done in any Sims 3 world. There were no restrictions for what content worked in what world. Even dive lots *could* be created in other worlds. Hard to imagine The Sims 4 getting on that level.

Knowing how the worlds are in this game there will probably be a few neighborhoods with like 4-5 lots each, and most new content will be exclusive to that world. The level of detail is purely a subjective measure. I don't think the worlds are anymore detailed than in Sims 3, they're just smaller with less space to fill.
  • Options
    To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    edited February 2017
    Honestly, this is a kind of 'take it or leave it' situation for me. I just want witches. Everything else is 'meh' to me. If I like it, I'll buy it, if I don't, I won't.

--T

ETA: typo.
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member

cHjSYXl.png

I would get it. More worlds to stay in would be great, but then I want this to be a really big and beautiful world. With fun things to do in it. Since a winter-world would be very different from the worlds we currently have this would be a good addition to me at least.
  • Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    edited February 2017
    Wulfsimmer wrote: »
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    You guys get really stressed out about hoaxes.

So what? I despise the attitude of users getting in my life and telling me what should I have an argument about and what I should not. Maybe I do like getting worked up over nothing, does it affect you?

You posted an opinion on a discussion board, in an area of it called Discussion. People are gonna discuss.

Me, I'd like Sims 4 seaside and mountain vacation worlds that can also be lived in, that are full-on towns with actual locals, not just a neighbourhood. I suspect that there's a reason we've only seen full worlds in EPs: the budget for a GP probably doesn't extend far enough for 5-6 neighbourhoods, with a much greater variety of backdrop views. Bring on the EPs, say I. I want to live up in the snowy mountain and in the beachfront town, and I want them to have loads of variety.

I sympathize with OP completely.

There's useful discussion and there's worthless discussion. Useful discussion is talking about the topic, such as what people think of the pack concept or what concepts they've liked to see. Worthless discussion is "wow OP u sure care a lot." This brings nothing to the table, he's absolutely right. Even if you proved scientifically OP lives in his mom's basement and has no life and only cares about this pack and he becomes unreasonably outraged by the pack concept....what the heck does that prove?! Absolutely nothing. He could still be right to criticize it. Therefore, it's a worthless and rather personal comment. I can see no other intent behind such a comment other than to try to shame OP for feeling a certain way.

That comment was more or less an attack on his person. It's uncalled for, and it deflects/derails discussion by trying to shame OP out of continuing on with it, instead turning the discussion into a matter of "is OP mad?" instead of "is the $39.99 single destination EP a bad idea?" Yes, people are gonna discuss, but let's no pretend there aren't clearly uncalled for comments that can derail a discussion away from it's initial purpose, and that's highly frustrating to watch unfold because some people - like yourself in this case (no offense) - won't pick up on those subtleties and even defend such commentary.

And on the topic....? I mean in many ways he has a point. Sims 1 and Sims 2 both got vacation EPs with three destinations each. Sims 3 had a single-destination "vacation" EP in the form of Island Paradise and a three-destination "vacation" pack with World Adventures. Island Paradise - regardless of opinions on how it is when you get it working - I would feel compelled to call a failure because holy crap it was in unforgivably unstable condition. The fact that thing didn't result in a lawsuit from customers is a testament to EA's legal team. Practically non-functional for an unacceptable percent of customers.

There's not neccesarily a reason to expect "doom and gloom" from a one destination vacation pack, though. Vampires for example cut down on life state count from Supernaturals, but they justified this by being the most detailed life state the franchise has ever gotten. IF we succeeded with a single vacation destination though, it'd have to do something similar: it'd have to be the single most interesting and detailed vacation destination ever conceived.

That I think is a bit tricky. With life states...? It's pretty clear cut that unique functions is what tends to make life states so interesting, so the formula was clear: give vampires more unique functions than ever before and they'll warrant the price. With vacation destinations though...? There hasn't really been a clear formula to help rank which Sims vacation destinations have been the best or why, so it's also hard for the Sims team to single out what to focus on to help flesh it out. Also worth mentioning is that the last location-focused Expansion we got....? Well, I'll say that for myself, if we got City Living 2.0, then no thank you. I'm also not really convinced City Living is wildly popular, and if that's the case, I see no motivation for the Sims team to take a crack at making a fleshed out location again.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    I'd buy Winter Vacation but I wouldn't want them all to be brought out in quick succession for my budget's sake.

I don't care if it is a hoax or not as the ideas all appeal to me.
  • Options
    WulfsimmerWulfsimmer Posts: 4,381 Member

So what? I despise the attitude of users getting in my life and telling me what should I have an argument about and what I should not. Maybe I do like getting worked up over nothing, does it affect you?

You posted an opinion on a discussion board, in an area of it called Discussion. People are gonna discuss.

Me, I'd like Sims 4 seaside and mountain vacation worlds that can also be lived in, that are full-on towns with actual locals, not just a neighbourhood. I suspect that there's a reason we've only seen full worlds in EPs: the budget for a GP probably doesn't extend far enough for 5-6 neighbourhoods, with a much greater variety of backdrop views. Bring on the EPs, say I. I want to live up in the snowy mountain and in the beachfront town, and I want them to have loads of variety.

This kind of discussion I don't mind but I absolutely hate the judgement of MY actions and trying to tell me what I should do and what I shouldn't. The sarcastic reply doesn't help either >.>
    Then don't post and complain about a survey and just because you wouldn't pay 40 dollars maybe others are willing to. We only have one vacation destination right now and there are only so many times I can take seeing Granite Falls so I say bring a new destination otherwise my sims are wasting vacation days because they never go anywhere or take days off.

*Sigh* I will rephrase again because apparently my post was in some sort of different language. I DON'T MIND PEOPLE DISAGREEING WITH ME <
    (And don't now attack me calling this shouting :unamused: ) What I do mind is people judging my atitude and the actions I take, it is in NO WAY related to the discussion. The topic is clear, no need to derail it trying to tell me how I should react to a post and whatnot. It isn't really rocket science
    Random-gifs-random-18723411-368-312.gif

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • Options
    Neia wrote: »
    I'll decide if it's worth the price based on what's included, but the fact that it would be only one destination isn't a problem a priori. Especially if it's the Winter one.

IF the hotels are extremely detailed and gameplay filled (with choosing your rooms and if it is a suite, etc...) then I might (scratch that, PROBABLY is more appropiate :wink: ) will reconsider.

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • Options
    LesboKnope wrote: »

'Again, I know it is only a concept and it won't 100% happen but the thought of actually thinking of listing it for $40 astonishes me and shouldn't be permissible'

Does this answer your question :unamused:

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    edited February 2017

This looks like the same level of Island Paradise, except the Hotels are actually real.
    And knowing how the worlds are in The Sims 4, it will have double the detail, with different kinds of areas - and I can actually enjoy it without lag.

So I'm fine.

Island Paradise came with a huge world, that could be fully explored. There were no loading screens from one island to the next, you could travel between them freely and uncover other areas that acted as additional property (or whatever you wanted). You could also open/manage resorts (all while managing other Sims across the world... impossible in Sims 4), scubadive under the water, live in a houseboat that could move freely around the ocean & dock at any open port in the world, and it also included new 'transport' vehicles that were exclusively used on water.

Most of that could actually be done in any Sims 3 world. There were no restrictions for what content worked in what world. Even dive lots *could* be created in other worlds. Hard to imagine The Sims 4 getting on that level.

Knowing how the worlds are in this game there will probably be a few neighborhoods with like 4-5 lots each, and most new content will be exclusive to that world. The level of detail is purely a subjective measure. I don't think the worlds are anymore detailed than in Sims 3, they're just smaller with less space to fill.

The first quote means nothing when the Expansion runs like Garbage, and the main attraction of the pack (Resorts) have Rabbit Holes and can't be customizsed by Players, but also are only for pretend tourists not for your own Sims.

Second quote? The Sims 3 had the Sims 2's engine, which was already established.
    The Sims 4 is just as slow as what it took to get that content with The Sims 2. Actually 2 probably was slower. It just had a really good base game.

Eh, as I said, delete all the lots in a Sims 3 world and there's nothing amazing. Delete the Lots in 4, and you're left with incredible detail.

Yes, the Sims 3 had larger worlds, but the Lots can be detailed, the worlds? No. Just trees, terrain, roads and water.

A Winter Wonderland in 4, will have incredible detail. The snow would be part of the world, sloped ski areas etc. Gameplay would be part of the world itself, not just the lot. Windenburg and San Myshuno have gameplay in the world itself.

The Sims 3 would just have snow over normal terrain. And the Lots would have objects.
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    LesboKnope wrote: »

'Again, I know it is only a concept and it won't 100% happen but the thought of actually thinking of listing it for $40 astonishes me and shouldn't be permissible'

Does this answer your question :unamused:

Did you buy Island Paradise? I'm seeing the same kind of experience. With more gameplay based on Winter ideas.

World Adventures/Bon Voyage shared the same gameplay amongst 3 locations; with some minor abience changes, but contained the same amount of gameplay as Island Paradise.

Island Paradise just had more depth.
  • Options
    elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    World Adventures/Bon Voyage shared the same gameplay amongst 3 locations; with some minor abience changes, but contained the same amount of gameplay as Island Paradise.

And Bon Voyage isn't remotely worth mentioning cause TS2 worlds' level of details are a joke even compared to TS3 worlds. Not to mention all three Bon Voyage worlds barely look different from other residential TS2 worlds anyway. What's the point of vacationing when taking a walk in your backyard can basically achieve the same thing.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • Options
    To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    elelunicy wrote: »

And Bon Voyage isn't remotely worth mentioning cause TS2 worlds' level of details are a joke even compared to TS3 worlds. Not to mention all three Bon Voyage worlds barely look different from other residential TS2 worlds anyway. What's the point of vacationing when taking a walk in your backyard can basically achieve the same thing.

What? Are you sure you're playing TS2? This couldn't be further from the impression I get when I play BV.

--T
  • Options
    edited February 2017

While I understand the reasonning, I'd rather see it let to the player's choice. I like that I can choose whether my Sims have gym equipment at home or need to go to the gym for example.

How do see it work ? With objects that don't appear in Buy mode ? Some exclusive to the public spaces for example ?
  • Options
    elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    edited February 2017
    To7m wrote: »

What? Are you sure you're playing TS2? This couldn't be further from the impression I get when I play BV.

--T

The three BV worlds are nothing special - just like all other TS2 worlds, they are all made from simple templates & look largely the same.

While I understand the reasonning, I'd rather see it let to the player's choice. I like that I can choose whether my Sims have gym equipment at home or need to go to the gym for example.

How do see it work ? With objects that don't appear in Buy mode ? Some exclusive to the public spaces for example ?

You don't need to lock objects to certain worlds; you just need to make the worlds themselves actually look different. There are many unique looking TS3 worlds for example. Lunar Lakes, Midnight Hollow, and Dragon Valley all drastically look different from each other. Meanwhile I cannot name a single official TS2 world that looks unique. All TS2 worlds are extremely boring and generic.

Case in point: one of the old TS4 surveys mentions a Mediterranean island port game pack based on this concept art:

JlKZVLW.jpg

I would gladly take my Sims on a vacation to there even if it doesn't have any new gameplay.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • Options
    edited February 2017

You don't need to lock objects to certain worlds; you just need to make the worlds themselves actually look different. There are many unique looking TS3 worlds for example. Lunar Lakes, Midnight Hollow, and Dragon Valley all drastically look different from each other. Meanwhile I cannot name a single official TS2 world that looks unique. All TS2 worlds are extremely boring and generic.

So mostly look wise ? I thought you meant things like the hiking interactions which is only available in Granite Falls, or the insect spawners. But look wise, yes, I fully agree with you, I would like new destinations to look different too. I think they did a good job on Windenburg, which feels completely different from Willow Creek for example. Newcrest and Magnolia Promenade are a bit more bland though. Granite Falls has a very soothing atmosphere that set it apart too I think.

Sound effects are also extremely important to make the worlds feel different like San Myshuno's traffic or Granite Falls' birds and forest sounds.
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    plum...........?! I am not gonna pay a price of an expansion pack FOR 1 DESTINATION....this shouldn't even be allowed to go through the survey stage :unamused: I don't see hsving the option to live in a hotel (a new feature) or choosing to rent a cabin (a reused concept from Granite Falls) and exploeing winter-ish areas is worth the asking price of $40

Paying $20, the price of a gamepack, for 1 destination was acceptable but having the courage to list that concept for a STAGGERING $40 is intolerable (at least for me). Again, I know it is only a concept and it won't 100% happen but the thought of actually thinking of listing it for $40 astonishes me and shouldn't be permissible. EA is literally now trying to milk the money out of us in the most efficient way. First we pay $20 for one destination, then $20 for each lifestage, and NOW $40 FOR 1 LOCATION...JUST NO. Thoughts?

Source: https://simsvip.com/2017/02/23/sims-4-yet-another-survey-surfaced/

agree with you fully. been saying the same thing

if true

a lot of milking going on for some of us if true turning EP's into many smaller GP's with lifestates and seasons

i thought the game packs would be better, not turning past favorite expansions into them.

oh well will see what comes
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    To7m wrote: »

--T

The three BV worlds are nothing special - just like all other TS2 worlds, they are all made from simple templates & look largely the same.

Case in point: one of the old TS4 surveys mentions a Mediterranean island port game pack based on this concept art:

JlKZVLW.jpg

I would gladly take my Sims on a vacation to there even if it doesn't have any new gameplay.

Interesting points.

Although I cannot say that I agree that TS2 worlds all looked the same and where boring, there was a lot more limitations on what you could do with them compared to TS3.

That concept art does look interesting though. Sadly if that was actually in TS4 then you wouldn't be able to visit all of those places. They would just be backdrops with some minor tweaks to make it look 'real'

If we could actually build like that in The Sims one day though, then that would be totally awesome! :smiley:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member

So I'm fine.

The first quote means nothing when the Expansion runs like Garbage, and the main attraction of the pack (Resorts) have Rabbit Holes and can't be customizsed by Players, but also are only for pretend tourists not for your own Sims.

Second quote? The Sims 3 had the Sims 2's engine, which was already established.
    The Sims 4 is just as slow as what it took to get that content with The Sims 2. Actually 2 probably was slower. It just had a really good base game.

Eh, as I said, delete all the lots in a Sims 3 world and there's nothing amazing. Delete the Lots in 4, and you're left with incredible detail.

Yes, the Sims 3 had larger worlds, but the Lots can be detailed, the worlds? No. Just trees, terrain, roads and water.

A Winter Wonderland in 4, will have incredible detail. The snow would be part of the world, sloped ski areas etc. Gameplay would be part of the world itself, not just the lot. Windenburg and San Myshuno have gameplay in the world itself.

The Sims 3 would just have snow over normal terrain. And the Lots would have objects.

I didn't think the pack ran too bad, so obviously my experience will be different. I don't see your point about the engine. That has nothing to do with world exclusive content, and a lack of flexibility with new content. The Sims 2 was pretty flexible, you had control over a lot of different things that you don't in 4, it's a sad fact that's not going to change.

Detail, again is a subjective measure. There is a lot more room to cover in Sims 3, so obviously you aren't going to see compact decorations like you will in the small nuggets The Sims 4 uses for worlds. As I said, I don't think The Sims 3's world lacked detail you obviously are just more concerned with the amount of decorations, at least by what it sounds like.

You need to go play The Sims 3, because you are just flat out not right about it. There definitely was gameplay off lot, and it wasn't exclusive to that one world. Unlike some stuff in 4 that is exclusive to the point where the player has zero control over it whatsoever. That's restrictive, but so long as there's tons of detail that's fine right? Because you are praising up and down VFX regardless of their actual functionality or usefulness.