Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Willingly Writing Reading Circle (On Hiatus)

Comments

• Options
    Dancer-freakDancer-freak Posts: 223 Member
    @AdamsEve1231 @xJojox @Simcraft81 @WiggleyTuff @NocturnalDuet

So did we decide whose story will be featured next??
  • Options
    Simcraft81Simcraft81 Posts: 499 Member
    edited February 2017
    @AdamsEve1231 they've always headed for the inside...maybe It's because I tend to do the most decor indoors. They stole your car?? Now I gotta buy a garage ughh lol. On TS1 I used to put a single wall panel on the edges of the property with an alarm attached and the cops get them before they could do anything...LOL
  • Options
    AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    Simcraft81 wrote: »
    @AdamsEve1231 they've always headed for the inside...maybe It's because I tend to do the most decor indoors. They stole your car?? Now I gotta buy a garage ughh lol. On TS1 I used to put a single wall panel on the edges of the property with an alarm attached and the cops get them before they could do anything...LOL

Well, you don't have to, but I was playing the Bagleys in Riverview and Rhoda left the Marguerite Vaguester out in the driveway. I found it amusing that the burglar stole from a crime family. While playing CFT, I caught a burglar stealing a garden gnome from the Rackets. Funny thing. Insurance gave us 1000 Simos to cover the loss and everyone walked around with a negative moodlet from being robbed. Lol.
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    @AdamsEve1231 @xJojox @Simcraft81 @WiggleyTuff @NocturnalDuet

So did we decide whose story will be featured next??

We could go by the next person in order of the roster on our first page unless anyone has a different idea.
  • Options
    xJojoxxJojox Posts: 6,878 Member
    i would love to know whose story is next so i can get a head start or prep questions
  • Options
  • Options
    from number 7 to number 1 ... awesome! Looks like liz, your next LOL your circle has decided hahaha!
  • Options
    Lol... okay... I'm next, I guess.

We'll say we started today (the 15th) and we'll read through the 21st and then discuss from the 22nd-24th.

Does that work everyone?

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    @xJojox, @Simcraft81, @NocturnalDuet, @WiggleyTuff, and @Dancer-freak

Updated front page. I'm going to go ahead and say Jojo's design logo for us is staying. Will you go ahead and let CathyTea know, @xJojox since you have the file design?

Now I'm thinking 2 stories a month for reading/discussion and that'll give us time to catch up if we need to (so this month is @Dancer-freak's and my stories).

Can I ask where you're all at with my story? I know some of you are farther than others. For now, we're reading Story #1 The Krazy Crazy Life of Kassiopeia Fullbright, and in the future, we can decide if we want to jump straight to KFLL or I&S.

Read at least one chapter is the goal for everyone and then discussion starting next Wednesday the 22nd.

Thanks everyone.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Oh wow! Thought I answered these already.

My answers for @Dancer-freak's The Blakesley Legacy

My own questions
    1) Favorite character? Charlotte/Char. I am a little biased since I love redheads. ;) But she is beautiful and I love her depth of character and this air of mystery around her.

2) Favorite funny moment? Like everyone else said, there weren't a lot of funny parts yet since I haven't read far, but I liked the lines about "Thanks for the movie... Just the movie?"

3) Favorite sad moment?
    Why did I ask this question??? *bawls* Probably when Sam said everyone has a mom and he wants one too.

4) Favorite happy moment?
    When Charlotte got her new home and was able to move in immediately... some stability and security for her, and the chance to move forward.

5) Favorite lines of dialogue? Probably the opening lines between Char and Lee...
    “Are you just gonna stand there, or do you plan on working out?” His voice shocked her, deep and with a slight chuckle. “I, uh. I… sorry.” She blurted. Stepping around the corner and towards one of the machines. “I just didn’t expect anyone to be here but me. I mean it is super late and all…”

“Shy?” He smirked. “No! Not… not really.” Charlotte mounted the treadmill next to him. “I’ve just never seen you around here before.” She shrugged and ducked her head, trying to hide the pink in her cheeks. “Well I’ve seen you before. You seem to be here a lot. Fitness junky?” He looked genuinely interested as he upped the setting on his treadmill. “Something like that.

They flowed so naturally and we're in a meet-cute kind-of way. :)

Dancer's questions
    1. What are your thoughts on the protagonist, Charlotte Blakesley?
    I think she's got a level-head on her shoulders, but I'm really curious about her past and how she got to where she is today. I also think she fell for Lee pretty fast, and I'm hoping things work out for them. Plus she's gorgeous, red hair and all, and I think the world needs more redhaired protagonists. I also think she's struggling with some insecurities... like when she met Sam and Yumi, and realizes that Lee is a widower, not a divorcee. I think this makes her human. Plus I like the idea of starting a legacy with a pre-made family (well, that's if Char marries into the Sekemoto family... here's to high hoping).

2. Has anything happened in the story that you are confused about? Yumi is a little strange, and maybe she's just an old woman babbling nonsense, but maybe not. Not really a confusion. Just a statement.

3. If you want to, based on your knowledge of the story so far, I would really like to hear some predictions for the end of generation one. I'm really not far enough to speculate, but it would be my best guess that Char and Lee continue their relationship, hit an obstacle of some kind, push through it, and are better for it. Plus Char will need to confront her past and tell Lee about it, and I imagine Lee will share about his late wife and raising Sam. Perhaps Yumi will make more predictions and assumptions too. :)

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    @AdamsEve1231 I am still pretty early into your story, the first few chapters, but thankfully I am on spring break after tomorrow and should be able to get all the way caught up through part one!!

Also, thanks for the answers!
    You are actually the first person to say that about Charlotte, most people haven't been super keen on her! Understandably so, but I am with you. I love her! hehe. It is nice to see what everyone's favourite parts were and how they interpreted them. Some things that seemed so small to me, like Char and Lee's first meeting, have impacted some people in ways I didn't originally intend on! But I am glad that people are taking what I have written and seeing it through a new lens, it is really interesting to me! As for starting a legacy with a pre-made family. That has always been my preference. I find if I make all the sims all the children end up looking the same and it gets boring after a while. If I use pre-made sims of sims from other creators that doesn't happen as much! You get to see the difference down the line. *squeals* so far everyone has been so close yet so far from what my plan is and it has given me some neat ideas for stuff to add in. LOL.
  • Options
    @AdamsEve1231 is there a particular chapter you'd like us to read and discuss?
  • Options
    i'm determined to finish the first part of KFLL :) sooo i'm prepared for questions!!

just out of curiousity, where are people on fine lines just so know what i can ask and what i cant? or will we be starting from the start?
  • Options
    I just had the most awful experience of my life. We are in the middle of what has been a week long snow storm (I live in Canada, the snow banks are currently piled upwards of two feet over my head), and this morning my boyfriend needed a drive to work. Unbeknownst to us there was ice under the snow at the end of our drive way and our car got STUCK! Well my poor boyfriend had to be to work in ten minutes, and it is an hours walk, so he had to leave and I was stuck trying to get our stupid car out of the ditch. Thankfully a group of very kind guys helped me get it out (they were rewarded with hugs and I wanted to buy them coffee but - and get this - the storm is so bad it closed down the closest timmies!! It's dooms day!)

@xJojox I am also still pretty early into your story as well, but I think once I really apply myself, right now I am kind of just reading a chapter here or there of all kinds of different stories, I will be able to get through a lot of it!
  • Options
    @Dancer-freak Oh no! I'm glad you're okay. That totally sucks. It happened to me this year. My father-in-law came over and dug my car out while my husband drove me to work in his car.

@xJojox I think somewhere around ch 20. I'm halfway-ish. :)

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    @xJojox, @Simcraft81, @Dancer-freak, @NocturnalDuet, @WiggleyTuff

Okay questions for everyone.... (I guess, opening chapters, @Simcraft81. I'm not sure where everyone is at, but I posted a ch 4 question below).

1) What is your initial impression of Kass?
    2) How do you think Kass changes over time (or does she change)?
    3) What are your thoughts about the introduction of EXCES and worldbuilding (Post Ch 4-on)?
    4) Who is your favorite character and why?
    5) I'll borrow this one from Dancer - did you need any clarification about anything?

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    @AdamsEve1231 I am going to finish reading when I get home from work tonight!! I will answer your questions then :)
  • Options
  • Options
    Opps... never mind then @xJojox.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    @AdamsEve1231 I have read up to chapter eleven! Here are the answers to your questions:

I like Kass! I think that she is a very independent young girl and I appreciate the devotion she has towards her family members as well. It seems as though she is always there the lend a helping hand or provide a listening ear. I like this about her! I also think she is a bit naive as well at the beginning of the story about life and love and that sort of thing.

I think that she is slowly discovering that the adult world is a lot more complicated that she may have thought, which makes me relate to her a whole lot. Here is is having to deal with her dad, her mother and sisters, and these two guys who have suddenly shown an interest in her and that is a lot to deal with. I think that slowly she is maturing and realizing that things so black and white.

3) What are your thoughts about the introduction of EXCES and worldbuilding (Post Ch 4-on)?

You have done a great job with the world building aspect here, obviously you have thought of a lot (religion, supernaturals, aliens etc.) and it really feels like a whole different world! It's awesome and I give you mega props for that. I was very sad for Kassio and her dad when he told her he had EXCES. I think that you did a good job making it believable. It also gave the story a very dynamic twist, it is so easy to make her father someone to hate but by giving him this disease you have also made him someone readers can sympathize with.

Kass is an obvious one, I really like her s p u n k (why is this a bad word EA??) and I understand her, in regards to her trying to find her way in this new, more independent world of adulthood. I like the choices she has had to face and watching her try to make sense of them in her mind (like which boy to choose and should she go with her father). You have really made her a believable character that is easy to understand.

5) I'll borrow this one from Dancer - did you need any clarification about anything?

Not at the moment no, but if I do I will ask!

Okay so I have a few questions as well!

For the writer:

1. Can you walk us through some of your world building processes?
    2. What has been the most challenging part of this story for you?
    3. How did you come up with the idea of Kassiopeia's character?
    4. How plot based/game-driven is this story? (i.e do you take pictures then write or vice versa)

For other readers (some taken from @AdamsEve1231's questions lol):

1. So far what have been your favourite moments (Sad, funny, happy) and why?
    2. Favourite Lines of Dialogue?
    3. What is something that happened that shocked you?
    4. Who do/did you prefer in the beginning: Gage or Davis? Did that change over time?
    5. Love/Relationships is a reoccurring theme in this story so what relationship (romantic, familial, etc) was your favourite and what specific moment in the story did you like about them?
    Post edited by Dancer-freak on
  • Options
    @AdamsEve1231 I have read up to chapter eleven! Here are the answers to your questions:

I like Kass! I think that she is a very independent young girl and I appreciate the devotion she has towards her family members as well. It seems as though she is always there the lend a helping hand or provide a listening ear. I like this about her! I also think she is a bit naive as well at the beginning of the story about life and love and that sort of thing.

I think that she is slowly discovering that the adult world is a lot more complicated that she may have thought, which makes me relate to her a whole lot. Here is is having to deal with her dad, her mother and sisters, and these two guys who have suddenly shown an interest in her and that is a lot to deal with. I think that slowly she is maturing and realizing that things so black and white.

You have done a great job with the world building aspect here, obviously you have thought of a lot (religion, supernaturals, aliens etc.) and it really feels like a whole different world! It's awesome and I give you mega props for that. I was very sad for Kassio and her dad when he told her he had EXCES. I think that you did a good job making it believable. It also gave the story a very dynamic twist, it is so easy to make her father someone to hate but by giving him this disease you have also made him someone readers can sympathize with.

Kass is an obvious one, I really like her s p u n k (why is this a bad word EA??) and I understand her, in regards to her trying to find her way in this new, more independent world of adulthood. I like the choices she has had to face and watching her try to make sense of them in her mind (like which boy to choose and should she go with her father). You have really made her a believable character that is easy to understand.

Not at the moment no, but if I do I will ask!

Thanks @Dancer-freak for all your wonderful answers. I got very excited reading them. I wondered about the "plum" word myself. The forums blocks out weird stuff sometimes I think. Lol.

In response to your comments...
    I don't think things are ever solely black-and-white. There are always reasons for why people act the way that they do. Later in Interludes & Solitude (I&S) which happens between KCLKF and KFLL, Kass and her father have an honest conversation about what went wrong between Howard and Amy and that clears up some more things. Their marriage and its dissolution is more complicated than "it just didn't work out." I hope you continue to like Kass. She certainly has her unlikeable moments, and while she feels flawed to me and that's what makes her feel authentic and genuine too. I also hope her believability doesn't go away in the future as life throws some pretty interesting things at her. No spoilers here though... ;)
    Okay so I have a few questions as well!

Excellent and thank you!

1. Can you walk us through some of your world building processes?
    In terms of worldbuilding, I did a good bit of retcon once I started talking about EXCES and then again later in Chapter 27. I have since then tried to be more well-rounded in my world-building.

Certain things just "come up" naturally in the writing, and other things are very intentional. Simterra, for example, was very intentional. I always knew from the start that my Sims would live on a fictional planet, Simterra in an unknown star system in space. I have played around with naming said star-system, but decided against it as it leaves some of the mystique. I love names and languages. I've been trying to build my own in some of my other non-Sims stories and it's challenging. For now, the Sims speak English with occasional Simlish and other Earth-based languages. Simterra got its name from the Sims and Terra = Earth. However, there's also a mall in my home state called Centerra and that's what initially sparked the idea.

I also went back and forth between "real" aliens and humans living in space for so long that they are alien-like. I went with real aliens as it made for less of a problem writing wise. In the early chapters, I reference "a" war between the Xenosi, my aliens, and the Sims. I also speak about SimNatives, I believe, as early as chapter 12. I picked Xenosi because xeno = alien and then I just tacked on "sim" initially, but Xenosim sounded cheesy so I dropped the m. SimNatives or the Nativi are actually explained in more depth in Gage's spinoff story, From Riverview with Love or on my aliens page on the Kass site.

Since I've already done worldbuilding with other stories prior to writing SimLit, I walked through a similar process. I created a fictional history (in story in Ch 27 or on my history page), and then worked for a year on my timeline and the different eras. Kass's story takes place in the 2400s. I haven't had many supernaturals show up in Kass' story yet, but plenty in other Sims stories of mine. I decided the supernaturals had to come from somewhere. Without spoiling anything major, I can say that the Xenosi play a role as do other aliens to be introduced. The Kr'viots are a vampiric race that make an appearance in my Simblr story but so far have yet to crossover into other stories. But I have future plans for this.

Culture building was fairly easy as a lot of it is already in place in game. I just expanded things. Also locations are similar to real-world Earth locations with different names. I'm still fine tuning this. The calendar is something that I very recently ret-conned. Religion I built up over time and utilized the base religions in Sims Medieval to get me started. As for politics, again, that's something I've been fine-tuning more recently.

I'm curious, for everyone, - is there anything specific you want to know about my worldbuilding or a specific part of the process you are curious about?

2. What has been the most challenging part of this story for you? Honestly, consistency with the worldbuilding. I know my readers are forgiving but it annoys me (the perfectionist in me comes out) when I have to go back and change things to make the storyline consistent.

3. How did you come up with the idea of Kassiopeia's character? Kassiopeiana was a character of mine in a MMORPG I play. I already like the name, but dropped the "ana" because it's really long. As for her character persona, I kinda based her on an alter-ego of mine. I see a lot of myself in Kass, and I'm a redhead so I knew I wanted her character to be also. Other characters in her life are based very very loosely on some people I know in my own life (though names, personalities, and relationships have been changed to protect real-life identities) but many characters are unique to Kass' world. I started out with this idea of writing a coming-of-age story with a twist, and then the "twist" got away from me and well, now there's many spinoffs and multiple future story plot lines planned. :)

4. How plot based/game-driven is this story? (i.e do you take pictures then write or vice versa)
    Great question! Kass's story is almost entirely plot-driven where I write the outline, game, take pics, and then finish the writing. However, I do try to stay true to things that happen in game that deviate from my original plot. For example, Kass/Davis' romance was not planned originally, but happened in game and I continued it because the love triangle adds drama. :) On the other hand, I vary my tactics with other stories I write. Like my Simblr story, Darkness May Dream, is completely game-driven and then written after, with the exception of a loose overarching plot.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    @xJojox @Dancer-freak, @Simcraft81, @WiggleyTuff, @NocturnalDuet
    Official discussion for Kass's story begins today. I hope you all have had a chance to read at least one chapter. We're discussing the opening chapters of KCLKF - anywhere between 1-10, I guess. If you've read farther, no worries. You can always put answers under spoilers. :)

And Dancer had some awesome questions for the circle so I'll repost them here. I have my own answers for these questions, but I'll keep my opinion to myself, for now. ;)
    For other readers (some taken from @AdamsEve1231's questions lol):

1. So far what have been your favourite moments (Sad, funny, happy) and why?
    2. Favourite Lines of Dialogue?
    3. What is something that happened that shocked you?
    4. Who do/did you prefer in the beginning: Gage or Davis? Did that change over time?
    5. Love/Relationships is a reoccurring theme in this story so what relationship (romantic, familial, etc) was your favourite and what specific moment in the story did you like about them?

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    ive had a mental week this week, and i have already read some but want to read more before i answer all the questions.
  • Options
    xJojox wrote: »
    ive had a mental week this week, and i have already read some but want to read more before i answer all the questions.

No worries, @xJojox, take care of your mental health. :)

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    my mental health is ok lol.
    mental meaning = crazy :) - haha. or hectic.