Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Make Teenagers Great Again!

pinedasgalpinedasgal Posts: 69 Member
edited February 2017 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
Today my teen sims were discussing neighborhood property values because they didn't have much else to do. Yawn, TS4 teens are essentially the same as adults, but with homework. So I started jotting down concepts of what could make them more youthful, lively and enjoyable. These are just a few of my silly whims-- I'm here because I would love to hear your opinions and fun ideas for teens too!

New Activities:
  • Cheerleading
  • Rock band
  • Skateboarding
  • A sport team (Soccer? Or maybe a new sport made by Sims)
  • Simblr social network. Post thoughts/photo/recent event/relationship/achieved whims to Simblr
  • Video game console

New Events:
  • Prom
  • Sleepover party
  • Science fair project
  • Standardized tests (for chance of scholarship)

New Interactions:
  • Learn to cook with parents
  • Learn to drive with parents (yes in a car, no snark intended)
  • "Tell-off parents" to blow off steam when tense
  • Ask parents for permission to stay out late (answer depends on parent's mood and if teen has completed homework)
  • Sneak out (with a random chance of getting caught)
  • Receive random "Where are you?/Who are you with texts?" from parents with option to lie
  • Hook-up (a more intense make-out, TS2 snog style ;) )

New Popularity System:
A subtle 3-tier ranking (nothing over-the-top like TS3's celebrity system or social groups). Some sims want popularity through whims.
  • +2 Popular (Popularity gains a positive moodlet and an increase in invitations to hang out.)
  • +1 Semi-popular (there has to be a better name for this lol)
  • 0 No ranking (base, hidden)
  • -1 Invisible (negative popularity from no friends, may have negative moodlet depending on sim's traits/aspirations)
Sims become more popular by
  • having popular friends, or A LOT of friends
  • being in a popular GT club
  • being involved in cheerleading/a sport/ a band
  • maxing a skill
  • Simblr posts earning a lot of likes
  • by some random, obscure event
  • attending more parties

New Relationships:
  • Have crushes. Sims should get nervous, blush, etc around crush
  • Have role model (an adult sim whom the teen admires, teens has chance of receiving the role-model's traits)

Hormones:
  • Acne
  • Mood swings
  • Random whims to do rebellious activities
  • Braces

Tweaks:
  • Teens (and child sims) go to school wearing a backpack
  • "Make friends" at school increases relationships, not just meeting new sims
  • "Make friends" will not meet child sims at school
  • Remove discuss property values chat
  • Rename first Mess Around to "Experiment"
  • Remove climax-like animation at the end of Mess Around to make it a tad more PG (this probably doesn't bother anyone else, but the thought that my 13-year-old sis's selfsim could be shaking the bed gives me a headache lol)
  • Return of the curfew ((with a random chance of getting caught, chance starts low and increases throughout night)

Ideally, if we had pre-teens some of these would go into this but I don't want to ask for too much considering toddlers=shooting for the moon.

I wanna hear from you though! help me add to the list :D:D:D
Post edited by pinedasgal on

Comments

• Options
    pandie00pandie00 Posts: 590 Member
    Great ideas!!
    “Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.” - Will Wright.

12-01-2017 <3
    Rebuilding Genetics Family Tree

My Tumblr : pandie4sims.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    Aesir26Aesir26 Posts: 304 Member
    These are wonderful ideas! I agree that it is a little strange for teens to discuss property values unless they're budding real estate agents so I hope some of your ideas get implemented in the future.
  • Options
    Thanks! btw I just saw the pre-teen thread so my apologies if some of these are redundant ideas
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,629 Member
    pinedasgal wrote: »
    Thanks! btw I just saw the pre-teen thread so my apologies if some of these are redundant ideas

As someone who'd rather see Teens improved than ignored while another life stage gets squashed in, I'm happy to see this :) I love the idea of a reputation system being introduced as part of teen gameplay. Combine that with the club system - which has me playing teens a lot more already - and you'd have something pretty cool! The last time we had a reputation system is was only about faithfulness vs. sleeping around, and that hardly meant anything in my gameplay. One that's broader could be really interesting.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    simstr0ngsimstr0ng Posts: 679 Member
    I like everything on the list but acne. Wasn't acne in an earlier Sims version?
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    simstr0ng wrote: »
    I like everything on the list but acne. Wasn't acne in an earlier Sims version?

Yeah TS2's acne wasn't executed the best. But I figure with the implementation of moods like Embarrassed and the illnesses that came with GTW, TS4 would do a great job with them.

As someone who'd rather see Teens improved than ignored while another life stage gets squashed in, I'm happy to see this :)

Yeah! I really want adolescent sims, but I figure I wouldn't be as pressed for them if teen sims actually acted like teens.
    Post edited by pinedasgal on
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I like these ideas. We need more stuff for teens.
  • Options
    YubellYubell Posts: 440 Member
    I would love them to bring back tens running away like they did in the sims 2 were if they had poor relationships with family they could runaway.
  • Options
    EpochismEpochism Posts: 411 Member
    I love all these ideas so much!!

I think the prom is a wonderful idea, because maybe right before your teen is aging to be a young adult, thier phone rings stating that prom is on. You then select if you'd like to go, and you wear your formal outfit. There is randomly generated teens there too. It'd be a chance to make friends!
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    Revise Curfew, make it a Parent/guardian/Older Sibling interaction to place a curfew on their child. so players can decide when or if they want a curfew. or even if politics were to get involved the mayor of the town can establish a curfew on the world.

and make it so teens don't always go quietly. some can run and escape. same from the detective career side. I want nightshifts, going on patrol at night, and I'm sick of criminals always surrendering. make a scene, attempt to run and escape, get in a fight.

It's not that strange teens can discuss property values, when I was in high school. one of my friends had a job, and she moved out and got her own place, family issues. It's time people realize the ugly truth. sometimes teens are forced to grow up faster.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    bevillebeville Posts: 1,151 Member
    This would be great for the game,plus add some teen only hangout spots and bring back curfew for teens too!
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Ear buds for teens to zone out and ignore their parents. More mirror interactions: girls primping, putting on makeup, boys checking their hair, practicing asking someone out and both taking a lot of selfies.
  • Options
    MaddannaMaddanna Posts: 127 Member
    Awesome thread OP I love your ideas.
  • Options
    Teens should also be able to listen to music from thier phones while they multitask.
  • Options
    haha, new bed interaction "Practice making out"
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

• Options
    MasonGamer wrote: »
    haha, new bed interaction "Practice making out"

Yes!! They can practice on thier hand or something, lol XD
  • Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    Today my teen sims were discussing neighborhood property values because they didn't have much else to do. Yawn, TS4 teens are essentially the same as adults, but with homework. So I started jotting down concepts of what could make them more youthful, lively and enjoyable. These are just a few of my silly whims-- I'm here because I would love to hear your opinions and fun ideas for teens too!

New Activities:
    • Cheerleading
    • Rock band
    • Skateboarding
    • A sport team (Soccer? Or maybe a new sport made by Sims)
    • Simblr social network. Post thoughts/photo/recent event/relationship/achieved whims to Simblr
    • Video game console

New Events:
    • Prom
    • Sleepover party
    • Science fair project
    • Standardized tests (for chance of scholarship)

New Interactions:
    • Learn to cook with parents
    • Learn to drive with parents (yes in a car, no snark intended)
    • "Tell-off parents" to blow off steam when tense
    • Ask parents for permission to stay out late (answer depends on parent's mood and if teen has completed homework)
    • Sneak out (with a random chance of getting caught)
    • Receive random "Where are you?/Who are you with texts?" from parents with option to lie
    • Hook-up (a more intense make-out, TS2 snog style ;) )

New Popularity System:
    A subtle 3-tier ranking (nothing over-the-top like TS3's celebrity system or social groups). Some sims want popularity through whims.
    • +2 Popular (Popularity gains a positive moodlet and an increase in invitations to hang out.)
    • +1 Semi-popular (there has to be a better name for this lol)
    • 0 No ranking (base, hidden)
    • -1 Invisible (negative popularity from no friends, may have negative moodlet depending on sim's traits/aspirations)
    Sims become more popular by
    • having popular friends, or A LOT of friends
    • being in a popular GT club
    • being involved in cheerleading/a sport/ a band
    • maxing a skill
    • Simblr posts earning a lot of likes
    • by some random, obscure event
    • attending more parties

New Relationships:
    • Have crushes. Sims should get nervous, blush, etc around crush
    • Have role model (an adult sim whom the teen admires, teens has chance of receiving the role-model's traits)

Hormones:
    • Acne
    • Mood swings
    • Random whims to do rebellious activities
    • Braces

Tweaks:
    • Teens (and child sims) go to school wearing a backpack
    • "Make friends" at school increases relationships, not just meeting new sims
    • "Make friends" will not meet child sims at school
    • Remove discuss property values chat
    • Rename first Mess Around to "Experiment"
    • Remove climax-like animation at the end of Mess Around to make it a tad more PG (this probably doesn't bother anyone else, but the thought that my 13-year-old sis's selfsim could be shaking the bed gives me a headache lol)
    • Return of the curfew ((with a random chance of getting caught, chance starts low and increases throughout night)

Ideally, if we had pre-teens some of these would go into this but I don't want to ask for too much considering toddlers=shooting for the moon.

I wanna hear from you though! help me add to the list :D:D:D

I wandered in because the title made me giggle but THIS LIST IS GREAT!!!
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    MasonGamer wrote: »
    Revise Curfew, make it a Parent/guardian/Older Sibling interaction to place a curfew on their child. so players can decide when or if they want a curfew. or even if politics were to get involved the mayor of the town can establish a curfew on the world.

and make it so teens don't always go quietly. some can run and escape. same from the detective career side. I want nightshifts, going on patrol at night, and I'm sick of criminals always surrendering. make a scene, attempt to run and escape, get in a fight.

It's not that strange teens can discuss property values, when I was in high school. one of my friends had a job, and she moved out and got her own place, family issues. It's time people realize the ugly truth. sometimes teens are forced to grow up faster.

I like that idea as well -- you could then have a really strict family alongside one where "anything goes". And I don't think the point was that discussing property values as teens is bad, just boring. More interactions, activities, etc. to set teens apart from the adults is definitely welcome, and would likely reduce the need for pre-teens. Teens being the same height as YAs doesn't really bug me -- I'm actually shorter than my teen great-nieces -- but the lack of unique interactions and activities does bother me.

I'd like to see a clothing filter similar to what we have for the gender patch -- certain outfits can be designated for teens only so you don't see random Elders wandering around looking like rejected extras from High School Musical, but if a player wanted to remove the filter for some of their older Sims the option would be there.

The idea for a popularity system sounds interesting. I'd love to have a set of twins where one is super popular but the other is more of a social outcast type.

Another addition could be more Mischief interactions that teens can do to younger siblings -- my brother (6 years older) used to pick on me all the time...not really mean, but more the Mischief type of things. Maybe even a few mean things -- "Tell Sibling He/She Was Adopted" -- that would make the younger sibling cry, and the parents would have to comfort the younger sibling and tell off/punish the older one. Adding punishments for bad behavior, like no computer or TV (program game to block use for a period of time, like you can't use the computer when it's broken), or can't leave the house. Then like in Sims 3 there could be ways to get let off the hook -- help younger sibling with homework or play games with him/her, clean house (I used to have my teens do the family laundry), etc. and the parent would relent. Or you could have a really strict parent lay down the law, while the other parent would be more easy-going and let the teen off the hook right away, which would cause tension between the two parents.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    They really ought to rework Jealousy, It's only romantic which I think should be renamed, Petty.

what about family jealousy, sibling rivalry. always trying to outshine the other, parents giving more attention to one over the other.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

• Options
    PrincessVeePrincessVee Posts: 1,787 Member
    AAAHHHHH!!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE! This would make teens so HUUGEE! @pinedasgal for simsidents!
    Intel i7-6700HQ; nvidia gtx970m 3 gb; 1tb HHD and 256gb SSD; my drivers are always up to date.

• Options
    Swiftlover13Swiftlover13 Posts: 2,369 Member
    2h7khg5.jpg

Because of course.
  • Options
    TarruviTarruvi Posts: 1,227 Member
    This would make a great addition to a Generations-like Expansion! It's one of my favorite Expansions in the series! :heart:
  • Options
    I'd like to see a clothing filter similar to what we have for the gender patch -- certain outfits can be designated for teens only so you don't see random Elders wandering around looking like rejected extras from High School Musical, but if a player wanted to remove the filter for some of their older Sims the option would be there.

The idea for a popularity system sounds interesting. I'd love to have a set of twins where one is super popular but the other is more of a social outcast type.

Another addition could be more Mischief interactions that teens can do to younger siblings -- my brother (6 years older) used to pick on me all the time...not really mean, but more the Mischief type of things. Maybe even a few mean things -- "Tell Sibling He/She Was Adopted" -- that would make the younger sibling cry, and the parents would have to comfort the younger sibling and tell off/punish the older one. Adding punishments for bad behavior, like no computer or TV (program game to block use for a period of time, like you can't use the computer when it's broken), or can't leave the house. Then like in Sims 3 there could be ways to get let off the hook -- help younger sibling with homework or play games with him/her, clean house (I used to have my teens do the family laundry), etc. and the parent would relent. Or you could have a really strict parent lay down the law, while the other parent would be more easy-going and let the teen off the hook right away, which would cause tension between the two parents.

I LOVE LOVE THESE IDEAS!!! (I choked at the HSM reject Elders lmao)
  • Options
    BTW guys, I was going to add all your ideas into my original post but apparently I'm not a "member" yet so I can't. So far everyone's suggestions has put a smile on my face, I love them all :)
  • Options
    Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,646 Member
    I also think they should like a parenting skill like baby sitting for parents, career day go on field trips to different career site and see what interest them and college have college students meet up. Have raging parties at home because why not the parents are out. Have Graduation because I miss that from sims 3.