Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What is the best starter home?

Out of every world from The Sims 3 (including all store worlds and expansion packs), which starter home is your favorite? And by starter home, I mean a house that a new Sim could afford without any money cheats right from the very start.

Comments

• Options
    5782341b77vl5782341b77vl Posts: 9,149 Member
    Sunset Valley - Prefabulous Home 1bed/1bath I ALWAYS start my games with that house. Sometimes I will add on a "tag" section to it for more space (second bedroom?), but generally I just buy it furnished and work to buy bigger.
    ...AND WASH YOUR DING-DANG HANDS!
  • Options
    GypsyPrinceGypsyPrince Posts: 118 Member
    That iconic Sunset Valley house everyone knows
  • Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    Outpost from Lunar Lakes. Looks like a dump and it's so tiny there's a huge incentive to make some money and move out ASAP.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited August 2016
    I don't know about the best but I always liked the look of this starter lot in Appaloosa Plains.

Turnkey Trot
    Unfurnished lot value: §14,089
    Furnished lot value: §15,984
    Size: 30x20
    http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/sims/images/0/06/Turnkey_Trot.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20111028143646
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    Idk about the best but I ALWAYS use the monochrome in sunset valley. I like it a lot. Not a pretty starter but it is a starter so you can't expect much. And it's not bad if you fix it up as the money comes in to do so. The lot size leaves room to expand the house too which is nice.

Other towns IDK. Most of my games start in SV and move away later on.
  • Options
    SimKeatsSimKeats Posts: 2,186 Member
    I'm always a fan of run down looking starter homes, like Mosquito Cove, lucky for me, I think one like that comes with Ambitions so I can always place one like it. I'm never super happy with adding ponds and stuff myself.
  • Options
    BatmanFanGirlBatmanFanGirl Posts: 1,298 Member
    Out of every world from The Sims 3 (including all store worlds and expansion packs), which starter home is your favorite? And by starter home, I mean a house that a new Sim could afford without any money cheats right from the very start.

I like dogpatch in Riverview.
    heartstopper-couple.gif
  • Options
    donnabaileydonnabailey Posts: 683 Member
    The Monotone in Sunset Valley.
    Appaloosa Plains Townie Makeover Project!

The Claw Machine Diaries Challenge

Though nothing can bring back the hour
    Of splendour in the grass, of glory in the flower;
    We will grieve not, rather find
    Strength in what remains behind
  • Options
    GoulsquashGoulsquash Posts: 715 Member
    SS has some gorgeous starters, I think they're my favourites.
    My Blog - Currently updating Aurora Skies!
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    Dogpatch in Riverview is my favorite too. It's not only affordable, it has two bedrooms, and a nice, large lot with plenty of room for a garden or outdoor recreational items. Plus, it's very easy to enlarge for a growing family.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Good thread :smile:

I think some of the cheapest would be the traitors in Riverview next to where the Brokes live or some apartments in Bridgeprt.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    thuggishsplicerthuggishsplicer Posts: 1,747 Member
    I love "Private Property" in Appaloosa Plains. It has a good size and it's easy to add a second floor.
  • Options
    cocococo Posts: 2,727 Member
    I have to agree with The Monotone. It's good for small families and can easily fit 8 sims if you wanted once you do it up a bit.
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I just build my own starter homes and often use larger lots without houses and have my sims live on the lot as the earn enough to start building a house though they're allowed to use Garden House if it gets cold before they finish their house.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    edited August 2016
    Trying to remember, I think I've only used a game starter once. Ever. I love to build my houses :D

On that note, if you ever want a custom starter built... ;)
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    TadOlson wrote: »
    I just build my own starter homes and often use larger lots without houses and have my sims live on the lot as the earn enough to start building a house though they're allowed to use Garden House if it gets cold before they finish their house.

My version of a starter home is the 'yard abode' which is an empty lot where I build the most basic of a house, at least two bathrooms, one bedroom and I have a kitchen and TV outside. If needs need an object for a skill, I buy it and then let them earn their own money.

These 'yard abodes' are the most basic of living arrangements but they where a bit easier to manage before Seasons came out...
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    Of EA houses I like the house boat in Lucky Palms but like several others have mentioned I prefer to build my own. Often it is a simple 6X8 or 6X9 structure that will eventually be turned into a stand alone garage when my sim has enough money to build the family home. It is a one room abode except for a small bathroom. I use decent quality furnishings that can be used later in the house so that sims can get as many positive moodlets a possible.

I will also often play a little cheaty by placing a rooming house type lot in my town (for example a fire station or an updated Red Rendezvous) and create a small 10X10 lot close by. My sim technically lives on the empty 10X10 lot but actually spends all their time at the "rooming house". They take the left over money and invest it in a partnership.
  • Options
    WonderstruckkWonderstruckk Posts: 195 Member

I usually choose Pomeranian Hybrid in Riverview

latest?cb=20110829014203

It's a little small if you want or already have a family but it's still cute.

In Appaloosa Plains--my usual town of choice--I choose that house on Turkey Trot or Pacer Place. Then when I save up, I always get that house near the Parrott's I believe..? It's yellow and has a pool in the back.

latest?cb=20111028143615
    anigif_enhanced-25237-1426197588-11_preview.gif
  • Options
    Jimboola11Jimboola11 Posts: 1,850 Member
    SimKeats wrote: »
    I'm always a fan of run down looking starter homes, like Mosquito Cove, lucky for me, I think one like that comes with Ambitions so I can always place one like it. I'm never super happy with adding ponds and stuff myself.

I love Mosquito Cove. My fave game ever started with a hobo/klepto living there stealing at night (dumpster diving too) & sculpting furniture during the day. It was great fun!
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    I love Mosquito Cove too. One of my favorite EA starter houses isn't in any of the worlds. It's in the library, from Generations. It's called Basically a House. It has two nice, large bedrooms, with a layout similar to Dogpatch from Riverview.
  • Options
    Jimboola11Jimboola11 Posts: 1,850 Member
    IreneSwift wrote: »
    I love Mosquito Cove too. One of my favorite EA starter houses isn't in any of the worlds. It's in the library, from Generations. It's called Basically a House. It has two nice, large bedrooms, with a layout similar to Dogpatch from Riverview.

All the houses that come in the library from Generations are great, wayyyyyyyy above the average. Whoever made them did a superb job!
  • Options
    KarinLKarinL Posts: 3,989 Member
    Mosquito Cove was the first starter I ever used, so maybe that's why it's my favourite, too.

I like the Ginger from the library as well - there are a lot of cute houses in the library, especially from Generations, but I'm not sure which ones work as 'starters'.
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited August 2016
    I've always liked the Starter house in TS2 Nightlife- downtown- so I seem to always remake something like it. :lol:

This one-
    7407577_orig.png
  • Options
    nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    I build my own, starting with one room and adding on as my sims get more money.
  • Options
    girlwhocriedtaylorgirlwhocriedtaylor Posts: 536 Member
    I love the Crescent Bay Plaza in Bridgeport. It's an apartment. It comes with cheap furniture, but I find it quite easy to fix up with nicer things.