Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is there a way to view package files?

I am new to the game, and am loving it so far. I have downloaded lots of custom content. But... I would like to organize it better. I'm wondering if the following questions can be answered by someone with more experience and knowledge than I?

1.) Is there a way to view package files to assist with sorting them and getting rid of ones I've downloaded but don't want any longer? I also had a message appear that said something about 29 items couldn't be used or were not owned by me and were removed. However, I didn't see where they were moved to and am wondering if these files were corrupt or something from what I downloaded. But I have no real way of seeing what the package file is to troubleshoot other than its name. In my user/The Sims 4 folder I have some files called "lastException.txt" but it doesn't say much that I can understand. (I am running the latest version of the game as it updated automatically when Origin opened at start up of the game).

2.) Is there a way to keep the finder from popping up when the mouse cursor is moved to the top of the screen during game play? Frequently when I am moving up a floor, saving a game, etc. and move my mouse to the top of the screen, the finder appears and stalls everything out. I'd like it to stop doing that.

If someone has an answer to these questions, I'd be very grateful :-)

Comments

• Options
    FigwitFigwit Posts: 1,072 Member
    No, to your first question. There is no way to tell in game what is cc and what isn't. I keep any cc I have in folders labelled: eyes, makeup etc. That makes it easier later if I want to take it out.

The message about not owning the items, I have had that before but only for one or two items. I couldn't see any difference or notice anything missing so I guessed it was just 'one of those things'.

The LastException.txt. My game generates several of those a session. The programmers could read them and they might be useful or asked for when tracking down a specific crashing issue, but otherwise, can be ignored or deleted if they start to pile up.

I believe your no 2 issue is a Mac thing and could be overcome by playing in windowed mode. I hate windowed mode so I would rather grit my teeth and put up with the finder popping up.
  • Options
    Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    To answer #2, don't hit the center of your screen. Go a little the left or right of the center and you should be fine. Pain the rear I know, but it works.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • Options
    GottesfrendeGottesfrende Posts: 47 Member
    Thanks for the swift replies. Shame there isn't a way to view what object the package file is for, an icon view or something. Almost impossible to troubleshoot.
  • Options
    GottesfrendeGottesfrende Posts: 47 Member
    I thought I would follow up as I found a way to view the contents of package files. I downloaded The Sims 4 Package Editor (Do a google search because I can't apparently post links here). It is apparently still in beta, so be careful if you use it. I installed it under Parallels, but then navigated to my mods folder on my Mac (you can also copy this folder to your parallels drive if you wanted). It opened all the files and you just look for the thumbnail file and/or the image files. These are usually at the end of the various coded pieces of the mod. Anyway, it worked, and I now have a fully organized mod folder :-) I would be very careful to not change anything in the package file once it is opened unless you know what you are doing. I only used the Package Editor to open the file and then to view the thumbnail and close it.
  • Options
    hvaughan84hvaughan84 Posts: 4 New Member
    you can look at package files...go to you tube sims 4 custom content for dummys. tells u how to put the dds (i think thats how its spelled) file into sims 4 studio so you can see them. Helps sooooo much for that stuff that glitches your game or looks bad in game. It still really helps to keep things organized in folders but make sure you rewrite your resourse file...they explain that too :-) :-):-):-) happy simming
  • Options
    hvaughan84hvaughan84 Posts: 4 New Member
    click here for video »»» www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA1pnVAdjFs