Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

If We Delete Urns, Do Dead Sims Stop Counting Toward The Limit?

Comments

• Options
    pguidapguida Posts: 7,481 Member
    Because you're over the 180 sim limit, crinrict. You don't have genealogicide culling, you have max_population culling.

http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=535559&c=1&ht=&page=4&pp=25#startcomments

• Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    pguida wrote: »
    Because you're over the 180 sim limit, crinrict. You don't have genealogicide culling, you have max_population culling.

http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=535559&c=1&ht=&page=4&pp=25#startcomments

The thread states it prunes sims in the unplayed bin. So, I'm assuming you can exceed the 180 limit if you protect your sims by putting them in homes.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    kremesch73 wrote: »

The thread states it prunes sims in the unplayed bin. So, I'm assuming you can exceed the 180 limit if you protect your sims by putting them in homes.

I'll do some digging. But I wish dead sims didn't count, or NPCs will start dissapearing like crazy.
  • Options

I'll do some digging. But I wish dead sims didn't count, or NPCs will start dissapearing like crazy.

That's what I was initially assuming. Dead sims are invisibly added to the bin. I guess it makes sense. The culling attacks unplayed sims and dead sims are technically no longer played. I guess that would explain why there are no ghosts in the game.
  • Options

That's what I was initially assuming. Dead sims are invisibly added to the bin. I guess it makes sense. The culling attacks unplayed sims and dead sims are technically no longer played. I guess that would explain why there are no ghosts in the game.

They should delete all dead sims before culling living sims.
  • Options

I agree. So back to the original question: I wonder if deleting urns works.

I think it would, considering we can cull the bin ourselves. Deleting the urns may also count as culling the bin.
  • Options

I agree. So back to the original question: I wonder if deleting urns works.

I think it would, considering we can cull the bin ourselves. Deleting the urns may also count as culling the bin.

It makes sense.
  • Options
    MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    I tried something this morning.

I counted "by hand" all my Sims from Manage Families: played and unplayed, in houses and homeless. I came up with 158.

I used the getpopulation mod to see what it said: 164.

I have had 2 in-game deaths of played Sims. One, we have the urn/tombstone. The other happened when I had ageing turned on for all played households and happened when I was playing another family. There was no trace of an urn/tombstone on that lot. (I know she's dead because she's greyed out in the relationship panels; she was an elder, same age as my other Sim who died in-game). I also had ageing turned on for townies for a bit, so I may have had 4 more deaths that I was unaware of. (I turned it off when I realized my town was turning into a retirement home).

I then deleted a homeless Sim from Manage Families and rechecked the population: 163.

So, it would appear that it counts dead Sims, whether there is an urn/tombstone or not. However, if you delete Sims from Manage Families, it appears it takes them off the population count.
  • Options
    Biotic_WarlockBiotic_Warlock Posts: 11,063 Member
    Hm. If dead sims count to that sim Limit, maybe a sign of preparation to add as ghosts.
    (does it stop new sims from happening or does it force other households to move out like they do in TS3?)
    Gallery ID: Biotic_Warlock
  • Options
    BradakinzBradakinz Posts: 17 Member
    > So, is this per neighbourhood, or per game? Because the two neighbourhoods are connected.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Game.

So wait, what happens with expansions? Since neighbourhoods are connected, New neighbourhoods should add more sims... adding to the population. We'd reach the limit alot faster unless they raise the limit with each expansion ?
  • Options
    shaposh2012shaposh2012 Posts: 760 Member
    Hmm, this might explain why I have so few townies.

Are your homes packed?

No. They aren't even filling themselves so I moved a few people into them.
  • Options
    sholtxsholtx Posts: 832 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    I'd say the 180 limit is false.

If you had 8 Sims for every lot that would already equal 300+
    I doubt the game would stop you from making Sims if you decided to fill each house with 8 Sims.

I actually tried that once and the game crashed. I'm not sure if it's because of the limit or my laptop.
    beXSQcW.jpg
  • Options
    Hm. If dead sims count to that sim Limit, maybe a sign of preparation to add as ghosts.
    (does it stop new sims from happening or does it force other households to move out like they do in TS3?)

The latter.
  • Options
    MsPhy wrote: »
    I tried something this morning.

I counted "by hand" all my Sims from Manage Families: played and unplayed, in houses and homeless. I came up with 158.

I used the getpopulation mod to see what it said: 164.

I have had 2 in-game deaths of played Sims. One, we have the urn/tombstone. The other happened when I had ageing turned on for all played households and happened when I was playing another family. There was no trace of an urn/tombstone on that lot. (I know she's dead because she's greyed out in the relationship panels; she was an elder, same age as my other Sim who died in-game). I also had ageing turned on for townies for a bit, so I may have had 4 more deaths that I was unaware of. (I turned it off when I realized my town was turning into a retirement home).

I then deleted a homeless Sim from Manage Families and rechecked the population: 163.

So, it would appear that it counts dead Sims, whether there is an urn/tombstone or not. However, if you delete Sims from Manage Families, it appears it takes them off the population count.

Thank you. That was clarifying.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    I hope that if it is in preparation for ghosts, that if I don't get whatever EP ghosts come in, my dead stop getting preserved. And that if I do, I can turn them off and the same. I've never wanted to play with ghosts in my game, ever. I like living people. *sigh*
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    StormyDayzStormyDayz Posts: 4,035 Member
    I'd be really interested to see the answer to this question. Although I only have 10 urns in my family inventory so it wouldn't do much good I guess. My game has stopped populating the unplayed sims not in world. I check it every sim day and it is empty. The only sims I have in unplayed are housed sims which seem to be safe. I've been playing this save file pretty much since the game came out several hours a day. I think the 180 cap really sucks and this needs to be fixed. I have to pick and download new sims for each generation to marry from the gallery instead of them meeting them at lots like they should.
  • Options
    Bradakinz wrote: »
    > So, is this per neighbourhood, or per game? Because the two neighbourhoods are connected.<br />
    > <br />
    > <br />
    > <br />
    > <br />
    > Game.<br />
    <br />
    So wait, what happens with expansions? Since neighbourhoods are connected, New neighbourhoods should add more sims... adding to the population. We'd reach the limit alot faster unless they raise the limit with each expansion ?

It's a piece of code they need to fix, or at least update with the addition of EPs with new neighborhoods.

Right now with no mods, the way I understand it is that the game will cull homeless Sims weekly if your population exceeds 180 (max population pruning). However, it will also spawn new homeless Sims if you have a Sim visit a public lot they have not visited before. This is very counter-intuitive. I should mention that there are two different "pruning" subroutines. One does it weekly based on relationships with the currently played Sim (called "genealogical pruning," restricted now by the new patch to homeless Sims) and one based on max population.

There is always the possibility that I'm not following the tech talk and the bits of code I've seen correctly, but this is what I'm getting out of it, at any rate.

I currently have the mod to spawn no more homeless Sims and the mod to prevent any Sims from being culled (which only works on genealogical pruning. If you exceed max pop, you'll get culling of homeless Sims even if you have the mod).
  • Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    What happens when your collective world has reached 180 dead?
  • Options

Theoretically, it will cull homeless townies every week, then spawn more when your Sim goes to a public lot. Rinse, repeat.
  • Options

Theoretically, it will cull homeless townies every week, then spawn more when your Sim goes to a public lot. Rinse, repeat.

That seems horribly inefficient and a poor design. Good luck finding friends and potential lovers if they disappear that often.

• Options

That seems horribly inefficient and a poor design. Good luck finding friends and potential lovers if they disappear that often.

Exactly. Hence mods until EA fixes it in a useful fashion.
  • Options
    Generational gameplay, aging on.. these work against that limit in a hurry don't they? I wonder how many generations into a legacy a player can get before the limit is reached and problems arise.

EA, why?
  • Options
    Generational gameplay, aging on.. these work against that limit in a hurry don't they? I wonder how many generations into a legacy a player can get before the limit is reached and problems arise.

EA, why?

They were probably thinking about smooth gameplay (by imposing a limit) rather than generational gameplay, and it's not a problem that would turn up in normal testing. When they test, it's my understanding that they test certain scenarios and functionalities, but they do not actually PLAY. The problem doesn't show up until 4-5 Sim weeks, or 3 generations, into the game. There is no way they are going to sit there and test families through generations of actual gameplay.

Just my opinion. I could be way off base.
  • Options

TS4 needs to be heavily modded to even run properly.

We sacrificed so many features for the promise of a more stable and polished game. They did not deliver on those particular promises.
  • Options

EA, why?

They were probably thinking about smooth gameplay (by imposing a limit) rather than generational gameplay, and it's not a problem that would turn up in normal testing. When they test, it's my understanding that they test certain scenarios and functionalities, but they do not actually PLAY. The problem doesn't show up until 4-5 Sim weeks, or 3 generations, into the game. There is no way they are going to sit there and test families through generations of actual gameplay.

Just my opinion. I could be way off base.

They clearly don't play the game, as the live stream made clear. If they did, most issues could be detected and delt with.