Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

~SIMS 3 TELEVISION REFERENCES~

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    BurginbabeBurginbabe Posts: 178 Member
    edited March 2011
    Nysguy wrote:
    Rakeesh wrote:
    Watching the cooking channel with your Sims you'll watch Iron Chef and a chef....not unlike the Swedish Chef from the Muppets.

Not only that, but I was watching the cooking channle with my sim, and there was a reality cooking show on just like Top Chef on Bravo! They had a judeges table and everything, and one sim presented his dish and lost, and the other won! I could'nt believe that! :lol:
    You're right Nysguy! It is definitly a Top Chef spoof!! This is my favorite show, and I love that it's incorperated in my favorite game!! It's so cool to see Tom and Padma on my sims TV!!!
  • Options
    clubersclubers Posts: 7,958 Member
    edited March 2011
    There are, and trust me, many many referances to stuff. Like tiberium - Command & Conquer.
  • Options
    whatever6304whatever6304 Posts: 3
    edited August 2011
    Movie Reference: In The Sims Mediveal my sim ran into someone named Roger the Shrubber, which is someone in Monty Python and the Holy grail.

Also, one of the interactions with a toddler in Sims 3 Generations is "Attack With The Claw" which is a reference to the movie Liar, Liar. I laughed out loud when I saw that.
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited August 2011
    There are all kinds of references to both popular and classic media in the game. For example, the black-and-white movie you first see in the Romance channel is a spoof of Casa Blanca; you can almost hear Humphrey Bogart saying: "Of all the gin joints in town, she had to walk into mine." (or something like that). And the wedding clip reminds me of a movie of the week ending.

It's always a lot of fun when you discover something new in the game.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    jake06jake06 Posts: 3,456 New Member
    edited August 2011
    Never really noticed any references but I have seen the mocking bird one. I really think EA were clever to add these "Easter eggs" into the game
  • Options
    ThetfordThetford Posts: 2,114 New Member
    edited August 2011
    There is the Breakfast Club Parody poster,
    References to other EA games such as Command & Conquer, Mass Effect etc.
    The Store Set I <3 the 50s includes the jacket James Dean wore in A Rebel Without a Cause.
    Ambrosia is a reference to Ancient Greek Mythology (those gods loved that stuff)
    On one of the Sci Fi book suggestions, a year (can't remember which) is suggested in reference to 1984.
    One of the small family homes in Bridgeport is named Back to the Fuchsia (I think all of the small houses in that area parody real life names, I think another parodies I can't believe it's not butter or something)

EDIT Also:
    The martial arts book is called the Wax on, wax off philosophic in reference to the Karate Kid.
    Many of the SimNation rivers parody names of that of real rivers
    The Altos are a parody of the Sopranos (in both singing and the TV show)
    And the street number of the science lab in Sunset Valley is Pi.
  • Options
    whatever6304whatever6304 Posts: 3
    edited September 2011
    I found another one in Sims Medieval. My sim was doing a quest where she had to send her parrot to go find treasure and the description said "How much treasure can a parrot carry? I suppose it's a question of weight ratios." which is another referance to Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,767 Member
    edited September 2011
    the breakfast club reference poster is called "Dention Hall"

Nectar is also a reference to Greek Mythology.

6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    fluttereyesfluttereyes Posts: 2,337 Member
    edited September 2011
    I think they do make jokes about things but I don't think it's advertising. One of the songs in Sims 2 is called "Don't be so parsimonious", which is funny to all long time simmers as it was a reference to a creator called Parsimonious Kate, she still has her parsimonious site. I think they watch for things and twist them for the giggle.

I also know that sometimes people read things into it that might not actually be there. Not in a bad way, but just mistaking something for meaning something else, and EA have no clue about it.

I have heard Sims use swear words though. I think they do it more in Sims 2. What I'd say is that we are probably just hearing what we think we hear and they are not deliberately swearing, or are they? :lol:
    the breakfast club reference poster is called "Dention Hall"

I'd need to check, but I always thought that poster was called 'detention hall', which is a normal school thing for teens.

Nectar is also a reference to Greek Mythology.

As is Ambrosia (food of the gods) and the Greek styled Olympian gym. Though I think they only likely chose Nectar instead of wine as they would have had issues with the age ratings. I love Greek mythology so I like when they mention stuff like that. :lol:

I found another one in Sims Medieval. My sim was doing a quest where she had to send her parrot to go find treasure and the description said "How much treasure can a parrot carry? I suppose it's a question of weight ratios." which is another referance to Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Is the weight ratio thing not the swallow thing that another site has as a registration question. It's the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow or something and the answer according to Monty Python is, it depends in if it's African or European swallow. I remember the parrot joke with John Cleese, the parrot was dead.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    I just mis-spelled the word detention

the Ambrosia thing was already mentioned..but no says its a real dish too. Mostly a fruit salad.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    jeanamariex3jeanamariex3 Posts: 1,274
    edited September 2011
    On the Male Voice #3 after a good make out session or woo-hoo, he will say "Giggity" a Family Guy Reference. Gobias Koffi's character is based off of Arrested Development. I noticed quite a bit of Family Guy References. The Bunch Family is a reference to the Brady Bunch. Barnacle Bay is a vacation spot on The Simpsons. The Ghosts are heavily Spongebob referenced as well. The Frio Brothers are a slight bit of 2 1/2 Men.

EDIT: Cycl0n3 Sw0rd has the same traits as Sheldon Cooper.
  • Options
    KDavidson828KDavidson828 Posts: 71 Member
    edited December 2011
    Wow, I created this thread a few years ago, I didn't even notice it had more replies, lol! Nice!
  • Options
    jake06jake06 Posts: 3,456 New Member
    edited December 2011
    Bahah :D
  • Options
    LittleMissShibbyLittleMissShibby Posts: 704 Member
    edited December 2011
    Sunset Valley's hospital is called Sacred Spleen. The hospital on Scrubs is known as Sacred Heart. Coincidence?

OMG I watch scrubs!!! I did see that referance, i actually renamed the hospital Sacred Heart Hospital, it's awsome!!

And OMG OP ur sim said giggity, thats just too cool!!
  • Options
    Callum9432Callum9432 Posts: 6,462 Member
    edited December 2011
    There are quite a lot of movie/tv/book references in the Sim Series, not just TS3. In the Sims 2 there was a wall light named 'The Prisoner of Azkalamp'.
  • Options
    sillipixi86sillipixi86 Posts: 31 Member
    edited November 2012
    An old thread, but something I found googling whether my sim actually did say "Giggity" - it seems he did!

Another thing I've noticed and absolutely pray is true, is the "DeForester Dresser" in Buy mode - it's a long shot, but I'm convinced it's an obscure reference to the actor Deforest Kelley who played Dr McCoy in the original Star Trek.
    Although it does make reference to 'deforestation' in the description... ah well. I can still believe they're all dedicated Trekkies!

... yeah, I'm a Trekkie.
  • Options
    WitchesBrewWitchesBrew Posts: 89
    edited November 2012
    I'm surprised no one mentioned the Mass Effect reference yet! When your sim uses the time machine to go into the future, you might notice a pop-up that mentions Commander Shepard saving Earth from the Reapers.
  • Options
    xxHattyxxxxHattyxx Posts: 2
    edited December 2012
    in Supernatural
    Grimm Household- Chaunsey Grimm, reference to tv series 'Grimm' where a police detective has to solve crimes involving mythical creatures, his ancestors wrote books (brothers Grimm) the slogan is "They weren't fairytales, they were warnings"

MacDuff family- Maybe not a direct reference, but I can see similarities between them and the Weasleys from Harry Potter, could just be me looking though, large witch/wizard family mostly boys

Maldano household- Sookie Stackhouse from "True Blood" will understand more if read later books or seen all the series so far, her gran is murdered and she inherits the house, alot of magicy supernatural stuff seems to happen to her everywhere, also finds out she has fairy powers.

Roommates Supernatural household- "Being Human" vamp werewolf and ghost live in same house, enough said there really.

Swain family- Twilight....cringe

Crumplebottom- slightyly "Hocus Pocus"

also throughout lots of er....Twilight references, such as sparkly suncream for vamps, "confess to watching you while you sleep" and various others, note the werewolf vs vamp thing going on amongst Wolff and Van Gould.

• Options
    Needles1987Needles1987 Posts: 228 New Member
    edited April 2013
    I thought the Crumplebottom sisters were a reference to Charmed.
  • Options
    niac1234niac1234 Posts: 6,735 Member
    edited April 2013
    Let us not forget that the family dynamics of Moonlight Falls are a reference to Twilight.
  • Options
    cagedcanarycagedcanary Posts: 1
    edited August 2013
    I'm sorry for posting on such an old forum, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned the LLAMA/Lightning Leap Atomic Molecular Arranger yet (from Sims 3 Supernatural)? It's a reference to the TARDIS/Time and Relative Dimension in Space from Doctor Who.

I also think the MacDuff family references the Weasley family. Aside from the obvious ways, the house is arranged somewhat like the Burrow and Felicity has a fear of water because the MacDuff twins pulled a prank on her (Ron has a fear of Spiders because the Weasley twins pulled a prank on him).
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    xxHattyxx wrote:
    in Supernatural

MacDuff family- Maybe not a direct reference, but I can see similarities between them and the Weasleys from Harry Potter, could just be me looking though, large witch/wizard family mostly boys

I assumed it was from Shakespeare's Macbeth play. Since wasn't Malcom McDuff "not of Woman Born"? I think there's a Macbeth family somewhere in Moonlight Falls.

About the Time Machine and the future. That "someone" saving the humans. I always assumed it was suppose to be Doctor Who.
    6adMCGP.gif