Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Am I the only one who hates the new clothing category?

Comments

• Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    kemisz wrote: »
    Formal and party is too separate things though? Formal is like going out to a fancy restaurant or getting married/attending a wedding - while party is your nightclub/birthday party clothes.

I kind of feel like we need those categories at least.

We certainly do!
    I don't understand why anyone would want them combined.
    JesseJay wrote: »
    I hate that to be honest. Just change your everyday outfit to fit the temperature.
    That is exactly what you can use the hot and cold slots for.
    eg, if your sims everyday outfit is a skirt, with a top and a jacket, you can recreate the outfit in hot or cold, for cold you might want to add tights and boots, and a hat, and for hot, change to a sleeveless top and add sandals. It gives you 3 different versions of the one outfit, suited to hot, warm/cool, and cold settings.
    Completely pointless without Seasons.
    It's not. It gives much needed extra slots for even MORE outfits! :D

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    At it's base, it's there as a foundation for the Gallery (so people who don't have Seasons can still get the Sims from people who do), and it's there as foundation for future content (i.e. any new packs that contain Cold/Hot tagged CAS items, or maybe versions of the weather system). Even if you don't think those will apply to you, it still gives you 10 more outfit slots for your Sims. I have Seasons but I'd take those extra slots regardless.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    edited June 2018
    I need me another outfit category for costumes. :T

I like it really. Sims being able to change between outfits for hotter or colder weather. I can understand what you mean definitely, though considering we can make what Five outfits per categories? (Still not even enough for me. :lol: ) I'd rather have a new category entirely for it then giving up an outfit for my sims. The only thing that was a bit time consuming was making sure the majority of my played households had appropriate clothing that didn't look like a hot mess. Some were okay but everything else whooo boi.

Kinda wish they were randomized into styled outfits to make things easier.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    It's not the category that bothers me. It's the lack of clothing for the category

I have a feeling that one of the upcoming stuff packs will likely be more clothing for hot and cold weather. ;)
  • Options
    duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    I understand frustration at thinking you have to go and add default outfits to hot and cold categories in your Seasons-less game. If it helps, my daughter's version of the game doesn't have Seasons yet either and she's found that she can completely ignore those two categories because her sims don't use them without climate in the game because there's no heat/cold trigger to switch them.

I've only had the opportunity to play about 40 minutes since it went live, but if it is any consolation at all, my sims only changed out of everyday default two days out of all 7 summer days so there was plenty of time in my normal everyday choice.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Options
    candy8candy8 Posts: 3,815 Member
    I agree jessJay it is very annoying Guess you have to dress them according to the weather and forget the everyday. At least for now.
  • Options
    TheWomanMonsterTheWomanMonster Posts: 49 Member
    I'm the kind of player who has every Sim maxed out for outfit slots so even without Seasons installed I'd make use of it personally.

Especially with the laundry pack.
  • Options
    GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    ChelleJo wrote: »
    The way I understand it, the temperatures are coming in "Hot, Cold, Cool, Warm" (Which is lame plum, btw) and they will only change into the cold wear when they go outside and it's registered as "cold". With warm wear, it's when it's hot and they are outside. Otherwise, it'll always be everyday.

I actually like it. I loved the outwear in Sims 3, and hated how when you gave them the "immune to cold" they quite changing into cold attire altogether. I hope they don't do that again, cause I'd like to get those rewards to stop some of my sims from dying, but I still want them to wear the appropriate clothing.

I can say that I had my sim turn the thermostat off and their daughter, who was wearing normal everyday clothes, got chilled enough in the house - and also got a moodlet about morgue like temps - and switched into her outerwear. So I had her dad turn the heat back on. Soon as the heat came on, her moodlet went away. The only down thing, when they come into the house - or in her case when the heat came back on - they don't switch back into everyday clothing. I have to direct them to change. Other than that, I'm enjoying the Hot and Cold weather categories!
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    I'm in the "well, that was pointless" camp when it comes to the outfit types being patched in. I mean, it could have at least also come with an optional free expansion that just adds rain to the game. Without the EP, the outfit types are just sort of...there. It would be like if they'd patched collars and pet sweaters into the base game when Cats and Dogs released...with no pets to wear the stuff.

There are other things they could have patched in instead of the two new outfit categories...like PAINTABLE CEILINGS for instance!
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Options
    Amistri2016Amistri2016 Posts: 65 Member
    I find the entire clothing system to be redundant. My sim doesn't change into a new outfit every day even if I have 5 set up. I have to do the changing for her. The system should work with the addition of laundry. This is suppose to simulate life & I don't know anyone who stays in the same outfit forever. I think the system should have you pick out the outfits & according to her mood or what you are doing the sim should recognize it & change appropriately like they do when they are getting ready to go to bed or getting married (which I have had a wedding dress picked out & in formal wear yet my sim chose to wear the default one).
  • Options
    worldofdrakanworldofdrakan Posts: 329 Member
    My only real gripe is that they didn't include enough clothes for the cold weather category, so you have a lot of townies walking around in the cold with the exact same outfits. Seriously, I think there are at least a few more items of clothing that didn't come with Seasons that could be considered cold weather clothes!
  • Options
    JesseJayJesseJay Posts: 300 Member
    It's not the category that bothers me. It's the lack of clothing for the category

I have a feeling that one of the upcoming stuff packs will likely be more clothing for hot and cold weather. ;)

Haha. I was going to say I'm waiting for "The Sims 4 Hot and Cold Stuff" which will be complete BS but I am fairly certain EA will milk anything and everything from Seasons even though it should be included with the expansion.
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    In my opinion the idea of doing it the way they did it was not the greatest. It is set to fail.

-Your sims can freeze to death while jogging in cold weather because whatever their sports gear is, it doesn't count as against the cold
    -They don't change when they go back indoors
    -Whenever wearing the hot or cold outfits in the right temperature, they never get hot or cold which misses the point of even having hot and cold. They should still get cold after a while outside and be happy to be home or to drink a hot beverage. There's even a solution for the people that want their sims to be immune to the heat or cold as a reward trait so..
    -The fact that the swimming outfit doesn't count as a hot weather outfit is ridiculous
    -Not having a rain category was a mistake

I think the new category that should have bee added is a rain one. And then, give us the ability to set each outfit in every category as hot, neutral, or cold for example. That way we could have a winter suitable pyjamas and running wear amongst other things. It would be sooo much better!
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options
    tmcevoy1121tmcevoy1121 Posts: 304 Member
    I find the entire clothing system to be redundant. My sim doesn't change into a new outfit every day even if I have 5 set up. I have to do the changing for her. The system should work with the addition of laundry. This is suppose to simulate life & I don't know anyone who stays in the same outfit forever. I think the system should have you pick out the outfits & according to her mood or what you are doing the sim should recognize it & change appropriately like they do when they are getting ready to go to bed or getting married (which I have had a wedding dress picked out & in formal wear yet my sim chose to wear the default one).

This. I wish I didn't have to change it. It would be nice for it to cycle through the list or for us to be able to set for our sims to change their outfits daily/weekly/w/e you wish it to be.
    A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous. A girl should also always be a lady even when arguing
  • Options
    storminmaystorminmay Posts: 137 Member
    I get why the categories are there if you have weather effects turned on for your sims, but for those like me who turn the weather effects off those extra categories are pretty pointless. And I agree it should've been an expansion-pack only feature.
    Origin/Gallery ID: storminmay

The Venegas-Chan Family Tree
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited June 2018
    The category is just sitting there for those without Seasons isn’t it? I sort of ignore it (though I can’t help I want them to look nice in that outfit too :D ). Can’t say I’m bothered by it. It’s comparable to the winter outfit of my sim in IP where it’s always summer in my game. She simply never wears it.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    I don't mind at all, in fact it gives me even more inspiration for what my Sims should wear (since I practically live in CAS most of the time now) and all my 230+ current sims have been long overdue for a CAS overhaul, the new clothing categories we got shoved with in the patch only fast-forwarded my incentive to finally start updating/remodeling them all, though it's taking me awhile...
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member

We already have several SPs with hot weather clothes : Perfect Patio, Backyard, even Romantic Garden. But we don't have any with cold weather clothes, so I hope we'll get one during the Winter.

• Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    Well, it all comes down to how you play. I understand why people think the hot weather category is useless, but to me it's a godsend because it finally gives me a place for those fancy Selvadorada outfits that I want my sims to wear while exploring the jungle, but not randomly at home or at parties. I also have many public lots in Oasis Springs, where sims in suits and pullovers tend to look a little misplaced, but now they can wear their hot outfits there, too.

On the other hand, I'm one of the people who have always questioned the point of the party category, but that's because of my play style as well. My sims rarely host or attend parties, and when they do, depending on what kind of party it is, they sometimes end up wearing completely different outfits anyway. But I've since found another purpose for it, I just stopped looking at it as the party category and made it the "sims leave the house" category in my head, as in: Clothes they wear when they go shopping, to a festival, visit friends, etc., like everyday outfits, but a little more fashionable, and most of those outfits are also perfectly suitable for parties.

My only complaint about the new categories is what others have already mentioned, the cold weather category is rather empty, especially for adult females, and despite there being many different recolours for the few items that we have, eventually everyone will be running around in the same clothes during winter. So one of the first things I did after getting Seasons was to dig up old and new CC and put the cold weather tag on it.
  • Options
    Simmer_chiyenSimmer_chiyen Posts: 362 Member
    Apparently many players like the system. But I still think having them as subcategories for every main categories makes more sense. You would not undress your gown or suite and put on shorts and T-shirt in a restaurant on a date because you’re heading outside, right?
  • Options
    vikixcvikixc Posts: 330 Member
    They should have just placed a new "outerwear" category inside the ones we already have. I really don't see the point in the hot weather category, most of my Sims are dressed for summer anyway because all of the existing clothes were more summer orientated. Also, a wet weather category would have been more useful than a cold weather category.
    2UFyFUV.png

• Options
    wormstache999wormstache999 Posts: 477 Member
    I think adding these two categories is the best choice they could've come up with because we can freely decide which winter and summer outfits our Sims are supposed to use instead of saying "All shorts are for hot weather and all long pants are for cold weather". That would have messed up so much CC and it would take away freedom to choose. Not all my Sims will walk around with hotpants and crop tops in summer.

Though I totally understand the frustration about more outfit categories.
    The most annoying thing about these categories is that you can't simply copy things or have a "delete all" or "choose for all" option. Like for every single category you have to select/delete makeup, hats, head accessoires and body accessoires, and it's so bothersome, especially because every category automatically has the category filter turned on, so you either have to deactivate it for every category every time or you have to scroll and search for the item you want. It sounds so simple, but it's honestly annoying the hell out of me when I'm in CAS. Like just let me use that one eyeliner for every category and don't make me search for it 8 freaking times! :unamused:
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    Neia wrote: »
    We already have several SPs with hot weather clothes : Perfect Patio, Backyard, even Romantic Garden. But we don't have any with cold weather clothes, so I hope we'll get one during the Winter.

Dunno if I want any pack with more cold related clothing. There were some cold weather looking items in Cool Kitchen and some very nice sweaters and long sleeved items too. C&D had some sweaters too I like that big oversized one that came with it and have more of a reason for my sim to wear it now haha.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    liranthialiranthia Posts: 5 New Member
    > @wormstache999 said:
    > I think adding these two categories is the best choice they could've come up with because we can freely decide which winter and summer outfits our Sims are supposed to use instead of saying "All shorts are for hot weather and all long pants are for cold weather". That would have messed up so much CC and it would take away freedom to choose. Not all my Sims will walk around with hotpants and crop tops in summer.
    >
    > Though I totally understand the frustration about more outfit categories.
    > The most annoying thing about these categories is that you can't simply copy things or have a "delete all" or "choose for all" option. Like for every single category you have to select/delete makeup, hats, head accessoires and body accessoires, and it's so bothersome, especially because every category automatically has the category filter turned on, so you either have to deactivate it for every category every time or you have to scroll and search for the item you want. It sounds so simple, but it's honestly annoying the hell out of me when I'm in CAS. Like just let me use that one eyeliner for every category and don't make me search for it 8 freaking times! :unamused:

I agree!
    Between all my save files, I have like 150 sims. Now that I've bought Seasons they're all walking around in horrible randomly-generated outfits. The only solution for this is to go into CAS for ALL of them, and choose 2 new outfits for them. And because there is no copy-paste feature, I have to redo all of their makeup and accessories too.....
  • Options
    PeculiarPlumbobPeculiarPlumbob Posts: 535 Member
    edited July 2018
    I don't mind the categories... I do mind the lack of clothing options though... Especially in the cold wear since the stuff that came with seasons is pretty much the only logical option. In a lot of the clothes that have jackets, the jacket has short sleeves or the sleeves are rolled up and who would wear a short-sleeved jacket in the winter? And when you think about how many townies there are, the options for different looking winter outfits are pretty slim. But hey - there's probably gonna be DLC for seasons, say, in perhaps few months... Kinda like with My First Pet Stuff No shade, no tea

Another thing I dislike is the fact that EVERY premade townie's cold and warm weather outfits are a complete mess because they don't necessarily have outfits for those categories which means those outfits are just completely randomized in every save. I just don't wanna go through every townie to change outfits for them but I also don't want them to walk around my world with a short-sleeved blazer in the winter accompanied by an accessory from every category possible.