Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Create a world still a real possibility + Features wish list & Concept walkthrough

keylimepiesimskeylimepiesims Posts: 1,908 Member
Updated - After putting together an in-depth walkthough (including ideas from this thread) and sending it to SGGrant, he replied with the following tweet, which confirms that they are indeed taking CAW seriously and in active talks over how it could work!

Some very thoughtful videos put together by our fellow simmers on YouTube!

https://youtu.be/t23Jqo5XlqI

https://youtu.be/Lkl3W08hSlI

https://youtu.be/EfjTwIjfIes

https://youtu.be/D52KPBPn3_g
OP - I don’t want to say I’d given up on a Create a World tool ever seeing the light of day, but I was starting to feel concerned that the structure of TS4 worlds would make it unlikely that we’d ever get such a tool. But recently I asked SGGrant on Twitter if CAW was at all possible and I’m quite excited and hopeful with his response, even just to hear that it’s something they’re still considering after all this time!

Seeing as Grants meeting is today, I thought I’d throw together a quick wish list of features I’d like to be included. Feel free to share your own and I’ll add them here!

Settings
  • An option for custom vacation worlds
  • Ability to change length of day/night cycle
  • Climate controls for Seasons integration (Freezing/Cold/Temperate/Hot/Desert)
  • Preset world layouts for inexperienced players to edit
  • Sharing custom worlds through the Gallery
  • An option to add/remove worlds from each save, for those that don’t want every world in every save - suggested by @Luthienrising
  • Custom world map and world icon option, as well as a ‘default’ map and icon for those who don’t have access to photoshop
  • World lighting options e.g. red sky, green water, purple sunsets
  • Time of day menu to show where the sun rises and sets

World Setup
  • Multiple neighbourhoods per world
  • Maps of various sizes (tiny, small, medium, large) and heights (low=100, medium=200, tall=300) - suggested by @Bettyboop55
  • Dynamic water heights let’s you sculpt lakes and rivers at different heights on the map
  • Placeable playground and park equipment for public spaces - suggested by @Cynna
  • Access to all decor objects, trees, backdrops, of the dlc packs that you own (much like how it worked in TS3) e.g trees from Jungle Adventures, city building decor from City Living
  • Placeable preset apartment blocks and penthouses from City Living (have same layout, but makes them usable outside of San Myshuno)
  • Biomes/World Types such as suburban, desert, beach, jungle/forest, and urban - suggested by @12JEREMIA

Gameplay
  • Edit in game functionality (the ability to build on lots/create and add households directly through the CAW tool) - suggested by @Bettyboop55
  • Custom greetings for each world e.g. kiss cheek, shake hands, wave - suggested by @Amandèle
  • Pedestrian traffic options on/off or light/heavy (changes how many sims will walk through the public spaces of each neighbourhood)
  • Pets spawning toggle on/off (whether or not cats and dogs will show up in the world)

Tools
  • Basic terrain sculpting tools (a given, I’m sure, but just making sure) - suggested by @Bettyboop55
  • Terrain painting tools (with LOTS of different textures to choose from) - suggested by @Bettyboop55
  • A functional road tool, for future integration with cars (it would be as simple as a drawable road texture with 4 routes, 2 on either side of the road for the sidewalks, which pedestrian Sims would walk along, and 2 ‘unused’ routes that cars and bicycles would drive along should they ever be patched in, but in the mean time could be used for vfx cars to ‘drive’ along)
  • Environmental VFX and SFX markers to create more dynamic worlds - suggested by @Bettyboop55
  • Collectables spawners (fish, frogs, plants, rockpiles, pet digspots) - suggested by @Bettyboop55
  • Preset lot sizes e.g. 20x30, 40x40, 64x64 (it was a nightmare trying to measure specific lot sizes with TS3's lot placer)
  • Ability to create custom lot sizes e.g. 10x35, 42x56, 30x60 - suggested by @Bettyboop55
  • Object resize tool (size up/size down)
  • Tree randomizer (changes the size and rotation of each tree you place)
Post edited by keylimepiesims on

Comments

• Options
    SimplyobsessedSimplyobsessed Posts: 315 Member
    Yes please! More customisation is always awesome in a game like this.
  • Options
    ClassicalSimClassicalSim Posts: 1,535 Member
    For me, this would be the best thing that could happen to TS4. I would even pay for a CAW pack. I hope they do give us this eventually.
  • Options
    ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    Yes yes yes!! This is on the list of things I love and want. Hope it gets implemented. :s:)
    Then independent fondations
    Then terrain tools (specifically a pond tool)
    Then something to let me build apartments/multiple family lots
    If I get these I would probably pick ts4 for my building needs way more. They are pretty much all I need.
  • Options
    MikeytMikeyt Posts: 42 Member
    Releasing a Create a World tool would be hugely beneficial to both the players and the Devs. They would no longer have to create a new world for each new expansion and they would be able to focus their time on gameplay.
  • Options
    AmandèleAmandèle Posts: 378 Member
    I really want to be able to create my own worlds. This would be great for storyline purposes (if you play a historical save or in a foreign country for example). Honestly, I would pay for that!
    Sorry for the mistakes, English is not my first language ^^'
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited May 2018
    This I would love this as well the option to place lots and customize the sizes and would bring the game to an new level.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    This needs to happen.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    I'd *LOVE* this, especially if it also comes with a system to add/remove worlds from an individual save. I've always wanted that, since before Sims 4 launched.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited May 2018
    Am I dreaming?

CAW would open this game up so much!

@luthienrising the option to remove worlds is such a great idea. I don't play supes, so I never go near Forgotten Hollow. It would have been nice to have the option to remove or replace it.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    edited May 2018
    I think if we got Create A World we wouldn't get any more official worlds. EA would leave the job up to us.

And setting up a meeting doesn't mean a lot. I mean, Kudos Grant, but I'm guessing he knows that too.

And you would 100% have to pay for it.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Loanet wrote: »
    I think if we got Create A World we wouldn't get any more official worlds. EA would leave the job up to us.

And setting up a meeting doesn't mean a lot. I mean, Kudos Grant, but I'm guessing he knows that too.

Perfect! I would love to never see another Maxis created world instead I would like them to just add more assets to the world creator.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    edited May 2018

Community-created worlds aren't such a bad thing. They tend to be larger and much more detailed than what EA can put out because community creators aren't limited by what other's computers are capable of handling, only their own computer.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 552 Member
    I would love a Create a World tool. The idea of telling my stories my way is incomplete when I'm chained to the worlds they've made. I especially want to be able to make a more rural world without rich/fancy neighborhoods.

I think having a CAW tool would also help them, because new worlds to discover and explore would probably make more people interested in playing to have different experiences.
  • Options

No objections here. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    SimDestroyerSimDestroyer Posts: 335 Member

The Sims 3 kept having store worlds and worlds in expansion packs despite Create a World existing.
  • Options
    pixiejuicepixiejuice Posts: 711 Member
    edited May 2018
    bizuktag wrote: »
    I would love a Create a World tool. The idea of telling my stories my way is incomplete when I'm chained to the worlds they've made.

^ exactly this! Surroundings are so important when you're trying to imagine the kind of environment your sims live in—the background decor, the surrounding deco houses, the trees, the shrubbery, alpine mountains or rocks or no mountains at all. Even whether the fences are made of brick or metal or wood. I've been dying to build a military base and rocket launch site for my astronauts, but I have absolutely NO suitable lots or neighborhoods to build that on. I'm not going to build a launch site in the middle of the suburbs or the city, lol!

I would also like the option to delete whole worlds that I don't ever use (Forgotten Hollow, Magnolia Promenade) and add new ones that I will use.

I am happy to hear they're considering it. World building is one of my top wishes for TS4 right now!
  • Options
    TheIntrovertSimmerTheIntrovertSimmer Posts: 641 Member
    This is possible, though only small percent of the people will actually be only to create them. They'll share it and get it our game and that really is a cool idea.
    y'all got bread?
  • Options
    Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    No CAW is one of the reasons I am not currently playing TS4 so I would love to see it introduced. I fear, however, because of the enclosed neighbourhood set up it would be a very pared down version of the functionality available in TS3. A lovely thought and kind of a Guru to give it some attention though :)
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Neighborhoods are much too small now. I wonder if it would be possible to build larger neighborhoods, say, with twenty lots? There would still be loading screens between lots. However, there would be lots more open space to build playgrounds, parks, perhaps a beach side activity area, skating rinks, etc., before hitting a loading screen.

That would be an interesting experiment.

The best part about CAW is that the public spaces in the world can finally make use of items that came after the base game. Playgrounds could include toddler equipment as well as swings, horseshoes, etc. There's so much that could be done. I look forward to trying CAW out.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member

Create-a-World was an option in both Sims 2 and Sims 3 and EA didn't stop releasing official worlds I doubt they'd do it with Sims 4...
    ~ ~ ~
  • Options
    Updating the thread with a wish list of features, leave your ideas if you think of anything cool!
  • Options
    Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    Terrain sculpting tools
    Terrain painting tools
    Maps of various sizes and heights
    Edit in Game functionality
    Spawners and environmental effects, waves, waterfalls, sea gulls, air balloons etc
    Ability to make lots of customisable size and shape.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    Terrain sculpting tools
    Terrain painting tools
    Maps of various sizes and heights
    Edit in Game functionality
    Spawners and environmental effects, waves, waterfalls, sea gulls, air balloons etc
    Ability to make lots of customisable size and shape.

Cheers for the ideas, added them all to the list! I almost forgot about the edit in game function, that's a necessity. :lol:
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    False hope should be a crime.
  • Options
    AmandèleAmandèle Posts: 378 Member
    Also, I don't know if it would be possible but I'd like to add a cultural aspect to the worlds. For example, in Windenburg, people kiss each other's cheeks to greet them. I'd like if we could choose the type of greeting (kiss, wave or shake hands for example) among other things. Well, I know it won't happen but it would be nice though...
    Sorry for the mistakes, English is not my first language ^^'